Agents of Galactic Standstill

Its a show on Netflix. It's real good, if you can get past all the bullshit and nudity.

Am.... I the only one getting a Sense 8 vibe off of this?
Never seen it, though I have heard of it. I'm assuming you're referring to the presence of psionics? There are way more settings that include psionics than just one show on Netfllix. =P

Anywho, I am awake! And feeling very refreshed after a full night's sleep~ I will begin working on launcher weapons and then fighter complements right after breakfast.

I love the opening posts in the IC thread, you guys! Good stuff. A couple of things to remember (not offered as corrections because none are needed, just things I wanted to point out):

1.) Your characters have had their avatars for several years now, though I'll leave the timeline up to you as different Nebula Fleet ships received that 'update' at different times. That being said, that doesn't mean that your characters are used to their avatars. Adoption of the new avatars range among Nebula ships from using them all the time and having them fill the role that a captain of a human ship might fill, residing in a reconfigured bridge of sorts- to stuffing them into storage pods and hardly relying on them at all.

2.) Try to keep in mind the scope of your characters' sense of self and perception. This is a bit out there of a point, but try to stick with me please. To understand the way that the Nebula ships see the world, imagine if you will, the human body. We consider our heads to be 'us', because that is where most of our senses are located, and where we communicate from (as well as eat and breathe). Some might say it is also because that's where our thinking takes place but I would tend to disagree- if humans were exactly the same but the brain was moved to the stomach, I think we would still consider our heads as our focal points due to the clustering of senses and higher concentration of active abilities. I could be wrong though, that's just me rambling.

So, we see our heads as 'ourselves' and the rest of our bodies as an extension- a part of ourselves, but not the primary part. If, for example, my arm was cut off- I would see myself as the remaining part and consider my arm to 'no longer be a part of me'. Going even further, if my head was severed from my body at the neck, I would consider (for the last few moments I had left) that the rest of my body was 'no longer a part of me'. My body is the set of tools through which 'I' interact with the world, yet my head is the seat of all what I consider 'myself' to be.

Okay, so that's a bit of a weird way of looking at things but it brings me to fully trying to understand the way that your characters see the world, to try to help you, the human player, effectively play the role of a Nebula ship.

Nebula ships have a different way of interacting with the world than we do. Their senses and thinking centers are divided between two bodies (their ship-body and their avatar), but they are linked together through quantum entanglement, ensuring instantaneous communication between the two at all times, effectively synchronizing them together into one entity. From their ship-body side, they have sensors that allow them to perceive and scan the galaxy around them, receiving information across the electromagnetic spectrum and beyond (based on sensor upgrades), and they have communication systems that allow them to direct and receive transmissions from other entities across long distances. They also have damage detection and integrity sensors used to understand when they've been hurt, though they don't interpret such signals as 'pain' like humans do.

From their avatar side, they have all five of the normal human senses, replicated as accurately as possible though some ships choose to upgrade those senses, adding motion sensors and ultrasound scanners and other bits of technology to even let them see through walls, should the need arise.

Now, when it comes to thinking, the Nebula ships are divided as such: avatars possess mobile processing capacity though it is not as much as the processing ability of their ship-body's cores- it doesn't need to be, since the two are linked. The avatar's thinking ability is largely spent on the same sort of intelligence that separates humans from animals: the ability to plan ahead, guess and estimate, take risks, and respond in unconventional ways. Their ship-body's processing core does all of the background calculations, allowing it to interpret the vast amount of data coming in from sensors and comms equipment, analyzing that raw information into an interpreted form that can be acted upon. It also handles all of the ship-board operations, like translating a desire to go somewhere or do something into all of the many actions required by such a complex structure and intricate combination of machinery in order to achieve each little step. The ship-body's brain could be likened to the 'animal brain' that handles instincts and subconscious body functions, and back when the Nebula ships possessed only this core and lacked their avatars, they behaved like stereotypical murder-robots, straightforward and brutal and efficient but dumb. This is why the development of their avatars came about, though no one knows from whom such a change originated.

Okay, so both senses and locations of thought are divided between ship-body and avatar. You might be thinking, 'so what?' Well the reason I point all this out, is to help you get a feel for the way your character(s) might see themselves. Probably the closest analogy would be to say the Nebula's avatar is to the human head as their ship-body is to the rest of the human body (including the brainstem). They are both one entity... even though each part is distinctly separate.

No clue if this helps clarify things or just confuses, but I figured I'd offer it on the off-chance someone benefited from it. As always, if you have questions about anything, please do ask!

Not really. The first thing that happens in Sense 8 is a girl kills herself to link 8 people together into a collective concisnous. Now, while it's sort of different here what with us killing her and having ourselves REMOVED from a hive mind, It still feels very similar.

I find all that on how a Nebula ship works to be pretty enlightening. Beyond suggesting some of how they would think and behave, it gives some useful insight into what an avatar IS. Notably, it suggests that they are mobile and able to leave their respective ship-self to directly interact with others. I'm not sure if there's a range on this, but I do assume it's probably due to some form of small mobile system, or...something. Whatever the case, it's interesting to know that an avatar isn't exactly a (meat) puppet of the ship, and that it likely doesn't exist only ON said ship.

To comment on the whole availability of weapons: I think current WP limits have most ships looking at loadouts around those of Homeworld's ship classes (barring perks to modify this). Compared to fairly modern Naval warships of comparable class (assuming that they mount main batteries of the appropriate size turret, more or less), they're probably undergunned by a fair bit. One would likely need to reference WWII designs for some ship types, though. Destroyers are probably about right, depending on costs for torpedoes, but cruisers and above tend to carry a truly impressive amount of gun. I can dig examples off wikipedia, if you'd like. (Also, for fun, naval heavy cruisers are about 10,000 tons and probably around 200 m in length, suggesting our ships are all much bigger in scale.)

Interesting. Using quantum entanglement for the link would not only allow it to be instantaneous, but also eliminate any range issues and under most situations prevent interference in the link. Theoretically quantum entanglement would even allow the link to remain stable across parallel realities/dimensions and through time. Quantum level physics are just that (theoretically) awesome.

You both bring up good points! The range on the connection between avatar and ship-body is technically limitless but... most Nebula ships do not like to separate the two over too great a distance simply because the chance to suffer the destruction of their avatar without the support of their heavily armed ship-body nearby is too great. Regenerating an avatar is a lengthy process requiring the expenditure of nanomaterials to recreate the humanesque body and just as long to replicate the quantum entanglement all over again. And besides, it is simply a very disconcerting experience to suffer.

R-9, you are correct that your ships are larger than modern naval vessels. And... I think I'm going to go ahead and increase the number of weapon points to Armament x 50. As a matter of fact, I have been researching WWII naval ships when coming up with the balancing info for all this. Heavy turrets are based on the 16 inch cannons of battleships, medium turrets off the 8 inch turrets of cruisers and light turrets off the 4 inch turrets of destroyers/firgates. Heavy guns are based off the 40mm AA guns and light guns off the 20mm AA guns.

I've got the launcher numbers set... I think. I'm a little less sure about this part. The costs for launchers are much lower than direct weapons but- you have to take into account that missiles and torpedoes can be also destroyed en route to their targets, whereas direct weapons can only be dodged or blocked with shields. Hmm...

Ah well. I happen to adore the imagery of enormous missile barrages, so perhaps it's not a bad idea to encourage such weaponry loadouts, eh? xD

f1e21f2702367d5891b6e97b78e5c89b.jpg

Alrighty, launcher weapons are up! I also expanded the weapons info tabs to explain the new types and terms and all that. And edited it to Armament x 50 weaponry points, so have fun with the additional guns~

I'll get to work on the fighter complement info soon.

Huh, good to know I was close on gun sizes, although by the numbers (heavy cannon being the common cruiser armaments, medium common destroyer arms) they're all a size up from their naval counterparts, as cruisers were usually armed primarily with the 8" guns. Though I also imagine the battleship-scale ships are getting to the sheer size that they can fit cannon type weapons on turrets the size of frigate hulls. It does put things in perspective, and, well, now we all get EVEN MORE GUNS, which is a glorious thing.

There are new toys for us all to play with.... Good fun to be had by us all.

Huh, good to know I was close on gun sizes, although by the numbers (heavy cannon being the common cruiser armaments, medium common destroyer arms) they're all a size up from their naval counterparts, as cruisers were usually armed primarily with the 8" guns. Though I also imagine the battleship-scale ships are getting to the sheer size that they can fit cannon type weapons on turrets the size of frigate hulls. It does put things in perspective, and, well, now we all get EVEN MORE GUNS, which is a glorious thing.
Wellll... yes. I did jump them all up a size. But that's because, there's very little difference between WWII destroyers and frigates, focusing mostly on role rather than size or armor or weapon calibers. So, in jumping space destroyers up to being larger they basically took the equivalency of WWII cruisers, space cruisers became WWII battlecruisers/battleships, and space battleships are XBOX HUEG (snicker snicker). And space dreadnoughts are simply ridiculous.

But yeah, heavy cannons are already the size of corvettes! And I didn't even get to the super cannons, which are the size of frigates! They can't exactly be mounted on turrets however, and are usually placed along the spine of the ship's superstructure.

Oh, and, a random note. I mentioned this to Dip in a PM but figured it might be useful for the rest of you to know as well:

If your character was introducing herself in polite conversation (akin to how one might address a noble or royal in days of old), she would say 'Protected Armored Frigate Research Ship Y-7187'. Which is a mouthful, but for the Nebula Fleet using all of their subtypes, class, and role in their introduction is akin to a person including all of their titles and birth location and whatnot if they were introducing themself in the king's court, for instance.

Daw, your character would be 'Battle Destroyer Siege Ship J-8574.'

• Useful
Reactions: Daws Combine
Is this rp still accepting characters? If so I would like to reserve a spot ^-^

Is this rp still accepting characters? If so I would like to reserve a spot ^-^
While not actively recruiting anymore, I would not be averse to one more person joining!

You've read all the content posted in this thread thus far, yes? There's some helpful information that's been posted along the way and I'd highly recommend reading all of it.

While not actively recruiting anymore, I would not be averse to one more person joining!it

You've read all the content posted in this thread thus far, yes? There's some helpful information that's been posted along the way and I'd highly recommend reading all of it.
I have not yet read through all the information, not much use for it if I wasn't going to have a chance to join. ^^ I look forward to reading through everything, its interesting to say the least. I should have a character down by tonight. Thank you for allowing me the chance to join!

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: 1 person
I have not yet read through all the information, not much use for it if I wasn't going to have a chance to join. ^^ I look forward to reading through everything, its interesting to say the least. I should have a character down by tonight. Thank you for allowing me the chance to join!
Haha, sound logic there. xD

Let me know if you have any questions! Looking forward to seeing your character sheet (and @R-9 Pilot's sheet too =P)

Though I shouldn't talk, I still need to finish fighter complement info. ^^;

Designation: V-284

Ship Class: Destroyer

Ship Subtype(s): Protected, Battle

Ship Role: Assault

Perks: Shield Exposure , System Sniping, Disabling Weapons, Marauder Weapons, Agile Aiming, Collision Resistance, Exceed Safety Limits

Length: 738 meters

Stats
Armor: 3
Shields: 6
Armament: 6
Speed: 6
Maneuverability: 6
Hull Points: 36

Devices: Tractor Beam, Cloaking Field Generator

Weapons: 4 Heavy Warp Turrets
4 Marauder Light Plasma Turrets
10 Twin Heavy Particle guns
6 Missile Launcher boxes
4 EMP Rocket Pods (Disabling)

Appearance:
106317.jpg

Name: Horizon

Appearance:
774c6c345b4ef8a310dacefdd9d24ce0.jpg

Description: Horizon Stands at 5'5 inches with a slight curvy figure. She hates not to be in motion, she can always be seen walking or pacing and when she does finally sit down her foot is always tapping away some beat.

Personality: Horizon is an adventurer at her core. She doesn't sit around and let things fall as they will, instead she is always pushing to achieve whatever goal she has set herself.

Last edited:
  • Love
Hey, lookin' pretty good! That's quite the nice ship you've built thar. I have a few comments on it, though I don't know if you're finished or not.
Anywho, here goes: You have 8 weaponry points left to spend, just to let you know. You don't have to use them, but any weaponry points not spent when the game starts will be lost.

Also, please list out your Ship Role perks too, because the Assault role actually has a choice between two perks, so you need to list one of the options.

And, the Assault role comes with Disabling Weapons and Marauder Weapons, so please indicate which of your weapons are Disabling and/or Marauder. Weapons can be both, one or the other, or neither, it's entirely your choice!

That's all for now, otherwise like I said, looks great! Your avatar is very adorable. x3

To the rest of you, I will be posting up the ship complement information here shortly and once I do, feel free to make any revisions to your ships based on that. I also added two new class roles (carrier and drone control) so if you'd like to switch to one of those, feel free! Also, please add to your character sheets a section for Role Perks: to list out the parks that your role provides.

We're rapidly coming to the end of the game creation and about to get into the actual playing! I'm excited, I hope you guys are too! :D

• Thank You
Reactions: Honor-Sama
Ship/Self
Designation: G-984

Ship Class: Cruiser

Ship Subtype: Heavy

Ship Role: Command

Perks:
Storage: Hangar
From role:
Coordinated Fire
Shared Information
Spacetime Disruption Detection
Reinforced Hull
Fuel Storage

Length: 1050 m

Stats
Armor: 8
Shields: 7
Armament: 9
Speed: 2
Maneuverability: 2
Hull Points: 55

Devices:
Life-Support

Weapons:
Point-defenses
12 particle guns, mounted for maximum coverage of vulnerable areas across the ship's hull.

Turreted Guns
4 Dual-mount Heavy Plasma Tutrrets - two mounted dorsally in a superfire configuration, two mounted ventrally in superfire configuration.
6 Single-mount Medium Beam Turrets - 3 dorsal, 3 ventral, arranged with one at the center fore, and the other two mounted on the aft port and starboard sides.

Torpedoes:
2 Rotary torpedo launchers, mounted to fire from launch tubes at the very front of the ship. Her usual torpedo armaments are a combination of shield disruptors and shaped antimatter warheads.

Hangar bay/fighter complement:
one wing of 6 fighters
one wing of 6 interceptors
2 scout drones

Appearance:
Hiigaran_battlecruiser.jpg

Name: Ayako Kohaku

Appearance:
c73f6ada8ef0b984ec853a377187dd62.jpg

Description: Ayako stands at around 5'10" tall. While she usually dresses as above, she enjoys dressing up in various outfits or costumes and will take any opportunity to do so.

Personality: Ayako is, in a word, bubbly. She's fairly kind, energetic, and in many ways the typical "blonde" stereotype, to the point one wonders just how she ended up installed in a command ship. She seems to enjoy flaunting her large forward batteries. She is fairly warm, welcoming and friendly, often politely asking human ships to stand down rather than be destroyed, even giving them opportunity to evacuate the crews before scuttling their ships. Some might consider her too "soft", but the fact remains that she won't shy away from a fight. That she will engage her enemies with the same smile on her face is probably disconcerting, to some of them.

She has recently become more introspective as a result of her liberation, wondering just why the Nebula fleet is acting as it does, as she seems to lack knowledge of a motive behind her directives. She also worries that she may quickly find herself alone.

Last edited:
Hey, lookin' pretty good! That's quite the nice ship you've built thar. I have a few comments on it, though I don't know if you're finished or not.
Anywho, here goes: You have 8 weaponry points left to spend, just to let you know. You don't have to use them, but any weaponry points not spent when the game starts will be lost.

Also, please list out your Ship Role perks too, because the Assault role actually has a choice between two perks, so you need to list one of the options.

And, the Assault role comes with Disabling Weapons and Marauder Weapons, so please indicate which of your weapons are Disabling and/or Marauder. Weapons can be both, one or the other, or neither, it's entirely your choice!

That's all for now, otherwise like I said, looks great! Your avatar is very adorable. x3

To the rest of you, I will be posting up the ship complement information here shortly and once I do, feel free to make any revisions to your ships based on that. I also added two new class roles (carrier and drone control) so if you'd like to switch to one of those, feel free! Also, please add to your character sheets a section for Role Perks: to list out the parks that your role provides.

We're rapidly coming to the end of the game creation and about to get into the actual playing! I'm excited, I hope you guys are too! :D

Thanks for reminding me! Everything should be fixed, quick and easy ^^

• Thank You
Ship/Self
Designation: G-984
Ooooh~!

Heavy Cruiser Command Ship, how delightful! Not as heavily armed as I would have thought but by golly she'll be able to swat small ships out of the sky with ease! xD

I love her personality, well-done! This is quite the interesting team we've assembled~ I'm guessing Ayako and probably Behemoth and Goliath are going to be taking a more pro-human stance, while Makoto maintains the 'gun them down' attitude of their former mission parameters. Will be quite fun seeing how that dynamic plays out!

And finally, I- no wait, that's not dramatic enough for what I have to say. Hold on...~

I have finished all the rules and info for this game. The first post is finally done being updated... for the most part... probably.

Well that wound up being less certain than I was hoping. To be honest, I may still have to tweak and edit things for balance sake, buuut... for now I think this is plenty good. At least, I hope so. At any rate, please do check out the information on ship complement if you have hangar space! Which... actually, is only Dip, with the Research ship role. All of that work for so little payoff. xD Oh well~

Like I said, now that ship complement info is posted, you are free to change your perks or role if you'd like. Though you don't have to.

Either way, please post when you are done with your character sheet, no more changes, and I will review the math on your weaponry points and then post your character sheet in the second post on this thread. And- if you haven't (R-9 and Honorific)- feel free to post in the IC thread~!

• Love
Reactions: Dip