Agents of Galactic Standstill

Okay, I ran out of time, gotta get ready for work.

I did add what I got done though, but I still have to do Launcher weapons. Anyway, revisit the first post for some of the weaponry info! I'll try to post the rest tonight or tomorrow depending on how late work runs.

Oh, and I also doubled the amount of hull points each ship class has, to allow for higher resolution when it comes to damage numbers. I... do still need to explain the damage system, I just don't have time at the moment. I'll do that soon!

As a physicist, I think some of the weapon descriptions might be technobabbling more than necessary. So, I'll give a few comments. First, I'd probably use some sort of ion rather than an electron for a particle beam. Heavier particle, just as easy to accelerate. I am not sure how time dilation would generate a problem for a solid slug's firing solution, just because it's moving very quickly. The place where relativity generally rears its ugly head is hat it becomes harder to accelerate something the closer to the speed of light it's moving. I'm pretty sure. That's actually about it. I'm surprised lasers aren't there in the directed-energy weapons, at least on the smaller scale. Or even more exotic things. (Also, best abuse of space-warping tech is to just teleport your torpedoes around. Like right into the enemy ship.)

But then again, this may be harder SF like Homeworld, when it comes to weapons tech. As opposed to the ridiculous stuff you can eventually get in, say, Sword of the Stars.

Yo, balistics are the way to go. Whatever payload it's delivering. I didn't understand a single word of that, but Ill go out in a limb and say you did a good job.

I'm not sure they're even ballistics anymore, but self-guiding weapons that then launch more submunitions are also a fun way to go. Drone attack fighters, in other words.

Also, a friendly reminder that one generally will want point defense guns because the bigger you end up, the more you begin to really need a way to pick off the little guys who can literally fly circles around you. Also, the ability to shoot down incoming missiles is often invaluable.

I'll preface this by saying I have no hope in hell of keeping up with that posting expectation, which is a real shame because I really like the concept.

I do have a question though, why no options to take ships in the Corvette size range?

As a physicist
Awww, don't be bringing science into this! :P I know it's technobabble but... I thought it might be helpful for people to understand the concept behind their weapons in case it should aid anyone in their description at some point. But yeah, it's not accurate science. It's not meant to be. It's science fiction. :3

I like things to be somewhat plausible without seeming too magical in nature. In this setting there is no instantaneous teleportation, though faster than light travel is possible by using gravitons to manipulate spacetime into condensed tunnels and traveling through it as it returns to normal 'behind' the spaceship, effectively propelling the ship forward at more than 300,000 km/s. And it's the same principle that empowers Warp weaponry to give it such high kinetic energy along with immense range (thanks to high speeds of the projectiles allowing the attacks to reach distant targets before they have time to evade). It's pseudo science but... hopefully that's tolerable for the sake of a story. After all, this setting has humans with psionic abilities in it so please do suspend that disbelief. ^^;

That being said, if you have an idea for exotic space-age weaponry, it could always appear later on as an upgrade to be researched and custom made for your ships! :D The current Nebula Fleet is equipped with advanced technology, but by no means do they have the best possible options- only better than humanity has managed at this point in history.

I'll preface this by saying I have no hope in hell of keeping up with that posting expectation, which is a real shame because I really like the concept.

I do have a question though, why no options to take ships in the Corvette size range?
That is indeed a real shame... :< If- at any point- your posting capacity changes to allow you to keep up, please do let me know! Perhaps we could work you in! :D

As for why corvettes aren't allowed, there are a couple reasons: one, corvettes are too fragile. Heck, frigates are already pretty fragile but corvettes are a whole new level of vulnerability. They have much less in the way of shields, effectively (when dealing with capital ship weapons) no armor, and nowhere near as much weaponry. Second, corvettes rarely have FTL drives installed in them, due to the large size and power requirements to generate and focus enough gravitons to manipulate the very fabric of reality. As such, corvettes tend to be deployed as solar system patrol crafts, and only really jump from one system to another if a warp tunnel is generated for them by a much larger ship/space station able to do so, like a battleship, dreadnought, or jump gate.

So... not exactly the sort of heroic types you'd expect a rousing story to be told about!
Also, a friendly reminder that one generally will want point defense guns because the bigger you end up, the more you begin to really need a way to pick off the little guys who can literally fly circles around you. Also, the ability to shoot down incoming missiles is often invaluable.
This is a veeeery good point and I'd suggest people everyone consider it. It can be very tempting to invest all your points in a massive gun but all that firepower is useless if you don't have highly tracking weapons to fend off a squadron of fighters from flitting around you and shoving implosion bombs inside your shields when you lower them to fire that massive gun!

On that note, I should really explain the combat system and the stats better. Not sure if I should do that in the original post or simply do so here... Ehhm... Maybe both. At the very least here. We'll see! I am super tired and rather inebriated so who knows what tomorrow will bring~

[warning]Insomnant Info Dump![/warning]

So, first off, an explanation of how much damage you can take! Take your Shields stat, and multiply it by 10. That's how many Shield Points you have. Shields absorb incoming damage as it is received, but they are able to shrug off weaker attacks due to Shield Damage Reduction (Shield DR), which is your Shields stat divided by 4. Any attack that is equal to or less than your shield's DR does negligible damage, and attacks over that DR amount do the weapon's damage minus the shield's DR.

When you take enough damage that you lose all your Shield Points (after taking into account the shield's DR, of course), your shield collapses and it needs a full minute to recalibrate before it can begin recharging.

Shields recharge at a rate of your Shield stat each minute. So... a tenth of your shields return each minute. Double that if you have the Durability (Shield Recharge) perk (i.e. double your Shield stat each minute, so a fifth of your shields return each minute), and it's 50% higher if you have your Coprocessor assigned to handling shield recharge (i.e. 1.5 x Shield stat returns each minute, or 15% of your shields return each minute)... and, triple the rate with both Durability (Shield Recharge) and a Coprocessor set to shield recharge, for a whopping 30% of your shields returning each minute.

Oh! I should mention... if you have the Durability (Directional Shield) perk, your Shield Points is boosted based on how limited your shield's coverage is! Half coverage increases your number of Shield Points by 100%, effectively doubling your shields, although your Shield DR remains the same. Quarter coverage quadruples your Shield Points. But keep in mind changing the orientation of your shield projectors is a draining task requiring extended computation- it takes a thirty seconds to shift coverage of your directional shields, so be very careful not to be flanked during this time!

And on the note of perks, the Durability (Shield Exposure) actually doubles your Shield Points at all times but! It takes two minutes to recalibrate your shields after they are fully depleted, and keep in mind that they only recharge at the normal rate, meaning that- with no other assistance- your shields will recharge fully from depletion after 20 minutes instead of ten. Other perks can still increase this as normal.

Now, once your shields are gone, your Hull Points start taking a beating. This is especially bad, because your hull is where you keep your stuff! Each time you lose Hull Points you risk receiving damage to one of your ship's systems (Targeting, Sensors, Communication, Navigation, Engines, Storage, Weapon controls, reactor, processing core, etc.). Luckily, even without shields you have some defense in the way of your Armor stat. Your armor does not absorb damage, but it does decrease the damage you receive from attacks when your shields are gone. Just like with your shields, your armor provides Armor Damage Reduction (Armor DR) that is subtracted from the damage of incoming attacks, and that Armor DR is equal to your Armor stat divided by 2.

So, here are those important ship stats (based on conventional ships from each class):

............. Fighter Gunb. Corv. Frig. Dest. Cruis. Battleship
Armor DR .... 0 ..... 0 ... 0 ... 0.5 . 1.5 . 3.5 .. 5
Shield Points 1 ..... 6 ... 20 .. 40 .. 50 .. 70 ... 100
Shield DR ... 0 ..... 0.15. 0.5 . 1 ... 1.25. 1.75 . 2.5
Hull Points . 1 ..... 3 ... 10 .. 24 .. 36 .. 50 ... 80

Now, all this being said... I'm not going to enforce any sort of dice rolling system or make this a strict RPG- I still value dramatic story telling and creativity! But I explain this because I want you to be able to have a sense for what's feasible within the setting. To get an idea of the scope of things, as it were. Keep this stuff in mind when you craft your posts and come up with your actions, yes... but you don't have to let it dominate your thoughts and cater to numbers and mechanics when writing.

I hope that helps. If not, please do ask questions- I'm not at the top of my game right now to be explaining stuff. xD

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Nice Execution!
Reactions: Dip
That is indeed a real shame... :< If- at any point- your posting capacity changes to allow you to keep up, please do let me know! Perhaps we could work you in! :D

As for why corvettes aren't allowed, there are a couple reasons: one, corvettes are too fragile. Heck, frigates are already pretty fragile but corvettes are a whole new level of vulnerability. They have much less in the way of shields, effectively (when dealing with capital ship weapons) no armor, and nowhere near as much weaponry. Second, corvettes rarely have FTL drives installed in them, due to the large size and power requirements to generate and focus enough gravitons to manipulate the very fabric of reality. As such, corvettes tend to be deployed as solar system patrol crafts, and only really jump from one system to another if a warp tunnel is generated for them by a much larger ship/space station able to do so, like a battleship, dreadnought, or jump gate.

So... not exactly the sort of heroic types you'd expect a rousing story to be told about!
No problems, I'll be keeping an eye on this one even if all I'm doing is reading what the rest of you write. If my time clears up I'll be sure to let you know.

Asked about Corvettes because I've always had something of a penchant for the little guy so to speak. Fast and nimble, relying on skill over brute force, its a different way of playing in most games, be they video games or roleplaying. Your reasoning makes perfect sense as well of course as there would be no room for error with a corvette in this style of universe I would think.

No problems, I'll be keeping an eye on this one even if all I'm doing is reading what the rest of you write. If my time clears up I'll be sure to let you know.
Awesome. Yeah feel free to read and if you do want to comment in the OOC you are more than welcome to! Perhaps we can even work out some way for you to indirectly participate, like if you'd like to design an NPC and give advice on how you want ne to play that character? I dunno, just brainstorming.

Asked about Corvettes because I've always had something of a penchant for the little guy so to speak. Fast and nimble, relying on skill over brute force, its a different way of playing in most games, be they video games or roleplaying. Your reasoning makes perfect sense as well of course as there would be no room for error with a corvette in this style of universe I would think.
Well, I too love scrappy underdog characters who persevere through creative methods, cunning tactics and diplomacy and whatnot... but that's already what the frigate class is for, haha. Asking to play as a corvette is like... well, I thought of a funny comparison in a fantasy setting:

"Hey GM, can I play as a nontraditional fighter who relies more on ingenuity rather than brute strength?"
"Absolutely! Instead of an orc or human, why not play as a halfling warrior?"
"Nah I was thinking more like a quadriplegic!"
"Wait... what?"

XD

No worries on the suspension of disbelief. I have absolutely no problems with it, by and large. I do still generally point out things when they seem a little odd, is all. Scifi has these funny tipping points where one can explain how tech works too much, and suddenly problems start to occur, whereas it was fine when it was behind the curtain, so to speak. It's easy to accept technology that works, with a snappy name and not much detail. Add more detail and it needs to be internally consistent, if not also consistent with actual science. I am under the unenviable position of sometimes being more aware of odd areas of actual science than others.

Anyway, finally got a character in the works. Been a little preoccupied with finishing some games and the like, lately. Although a final weapon loadout may have to wait until missile sand torpedoes are available.

Last edited:
Interesting example to chose, I've actually done a halfling barbarian before. Everyone at the table told me I was daft but the natural inclination for agility on a halfling worked rather well for him.

Is it just me, or are the two ships posted so far ridiculously over-armed? I hate to check math, but with 90 and 180 points for weapons, I am not sure how you guys stacked in so much stuff.

I have 84 points reserved for launchers, if my math is right.

Care to share your math? I'm currently working on a cruiser and tend to have fewer big guns, which surprises me.

No prob.

6x30=180
6x3=18
180-18=162
60x2=120
162-120=42

I have 42 points left.

And am also an idiot.

Okay, so, I'm home... after a very long day at work... and in fact it's been a pretty rough work week for me, so I'm sorry about not being as on-the-ball as I'd like for this.

I admittedly haven't been checking the math because, well, I hadn't finished the launcher weapon rules yet. I thought I'd have today off and be able to finish it then but that didn't happen.

That being said, Daws your math checks out. So does Dip's (72 points spent out of 90).

Hmm... I uh... I'm considering increasing the amount of weaponry points you guys have at your disposal. Perhaps, Armament x 40? or even 50? What do you guys think?

I want ship combat to be ponderous and slow to an extent, exchanging shots and wearing down shields and then gradually crippling systems while blowing chunks out of the hull- in the absence of significantly larger ships or weapons, of course!). Buuut... at the same time, more guns is fun, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I dont wanna redo my math, again. But more guns would make me very happy....

More guns is fine by me. And my bad, I for some reason misinterpreted "heavy guns" as "heavy turrets." Which is...whoops. Still, not terrible I asked a check on the math, as it turned out. Definitely waiting on the last set of weapons to fully round things out, myself. Either making a command cruiser, or a destroyer built around really tearing stuff up with more firepower than it should possibly have, possibly at "knife-fight" ranges.

More guns is fine by me. And my bad, I for some reason misinterpreted "heavy guns" as "heavy turrets." Which is...whoops. Still, not terrible I asked a check on the math, as it turned out. Definitely waiting on the last set of weapons to fully round things out, myself. Either making a command cruiser, or a destroyer built around really tearing stuff up with more firepower than it should possibly have, possibly at "knife-fight" ranges.
Heheheh, I actually thought about asking if you were making just that very mistake, but dismissed the possibility. xD

I should (if work doesn't screw me over again) have the day off tomorrow, and I'll have launcher weapons finished then. Right now, my brain cells aren't cooperating enough to figure it out, sorry. I'll be heading to bed early tonight.

On the other hand, I did manage to finish and submit the first post in the IC thread! :D I'll edit the details to make them fit the description of you guys' ships once everything is finalized, but for now it should get the point across~

Am.... I the only one getting a Sense 8 vibe off of this?

I haven't heard of it.