Age Verification for Discords

O

One Who Tames

Original poster
I am considering advertising for my Discord role playing channel on IWAKU. The rules for advertising state that even Discord channels need age verification. No Discord channels that I have visited through a link from IWAKU have offered any meaningful method for verification. So I would like to ask how to implement age verification so that I may be in compliance with my advertising.

For my servers that I share on Iwaku, I check their Iwaku age and use that. The security team is good at hunting down people who aren't honest about their birthdate when they sign up. For people from other servers, I ask they give me their age via DM. If I find they're lying, or they refuse to verify if questions about their age arise, they lose any adult privileges they had.

Asking for a person’s age seems about as fool proof as having them punch a box saying “yes”. Most age verification that I’ve seen is a joke anyway without involving financial data.

Without trying to be a butt, the last time I submitted a question here for the administration team directly I was told that support staff could not answer me. Is there any way I can get this bumped up to an admin? I would do it myself but I haven’t a clue how.

While it is true that staff members don't hold all answers they are expected to be aware of the site rules and policies, especially the Site Support team whose job is often to explain said policies to the members. c:

In any case, as Mood's explained Iwaku has several ways to verify the age of the members. You can read about a few in the resource. While at the very base we only ask members to sign up with their correct birthdate, we also do our own investigation when we have reasons to suspect someone of lying and can ask people for a Photo ID (like explained in the resource). The reason why we don't do it at the forefront is because of privacy, as you can imagine that it can be quite invasive.

Should you still want to speak an admin about it, if you click open the list in 'Members' in the top bar you will see 'Administrators and Staff' if you click on that the purple names (and in Diana's case teal) are the administrators.

Oh, hey. Just as I'm writing this Diana posted a new resource on this very topic: Verified Age Marker on Iwaku

At last, in regards to your Discord server. What Mood's has provided you for a solution is, unfortunately, the best way to go about it. Since Discord itself doesn't do anything with age verification. Though, that also means that you can't advertise your Discord roleplay here on Iwaku if it contains any mature themes that requires age verification (usually smut) since Discord doesn't do age verification.

Iwaku's discord does have a 'NSFW' channel, however to which only adult members have access to. You can advertise your Discord rp there.

You have given me a lot of information that is not a direct answer to my question. Thank you, I guess. I’ll be sure to keep all of the other stuff I didn’t care to know in mind.

Thank you for informing me how to contact an admin.

I surmise that, in order to become compliant with IWAKU’s ToS, I have to lock up my mature content behind an NSFW warning and ask people if they are adults or go to the smut section with it. Got it. Thanks.

Though, that also means that you can't advertise your Discord roleplay here on Iwaku if it contains any mature themes that requires age verification (usually smut) since Discord doesn't do age verification.

Perhaps it is because the focus of the question derailed, but I did say that you can't advertise your discord roleplay here on Iwaku if it contains content that needs age verification, which is usually smut. A good rule of thumb is that if it would be put in the star sections here were it to be a regular roleplay, then there needs to be an age verification. If you want to know what goes in the star sections you can seek out the FAQ.

If your Discord roleplay is not about that you can advertise it in the Off-site advertisements. Since it doesn't happen on the site of Iwaku itself, thus off-site.

I regret using Mood as an example for this as she has been nothing but nice to me and I do not want to bring unjust attention to her decent activities.

If there is any NSFW content then Star it. However, you endorsed Mood’s initiative of locking NSFW content for people who can not be verified, although it is still there. Is this a miscommunication/misunderstanding or something else?

I feel like this is a Monty Python skit at this point. Thank you for your continued patience.

I'm not sure who is not following who anymore. Mood's was talking about how she deals with age verification and NSFW content on Discord specifically. I addressed both the site and the Discord since you asked about where to advertise your Discord roleplay.

Discord roleplays can be advertised on Iwaku in the Off-site ads. However, if they contain any NSFW content, or if it contains any smut (star content, as we call it, after our red/blue star sections) then it can't be advertised on Iwaku since Discord doesn't do age verification of any sort. You can still run it, however like Mood's does.

Does that clarify it for you?

Yes, thank you. The misunderstanding was with me.