After Years

Status
Not open for further replies.
[BCOLOR=transparent]Hinata wiped at his eyes, causing the skin around his eyes to become irritated and red from the fabric of his sweater against his skin. He watched the other grab his stuff from outside the door and bring it in. He tried to clear his eyes of any tears, he hadn't cried in such a long time, (except for when one of his favorite anime characters died) he let out a sigh and watched as Kageyama went to the door said that they should go get food. Hinata nodded, figuring he had time to eat something before his last class of the day which was around 8pm that evening. He followed the other out the door until they were making their way down the hallway. The ginger got a little closer to the taller, his head down slightly. "Kageyama I really am sorry..."[/BCOLOR]

Last edited by a moderator:
[BCOLOR=transparent]As Hinata apologised, Kageyama kept his direction straight, it taking a part of his will to not look down at the smaller male, knowing that if he did he'd have the overwhelming urge to hug him. Him and Hinata had grown exceptionally fast as friends. After first year ended, they hadn't seen much of each other during break, but suddenly when second year came around they started hanging out more often, eating lunch together despite being in different classes, hanging out after school, and even had a few late nights at each others house working on homework or playing games or tossing a ball around. When third year approached, Kageyama was sure that he hadn't formed a bond so deep with somebody before, knowing every emotion Hinata would express from a tilt of the mouth or a twitch on an eyebrow, something Hinata could return as well. He knew that a bond that strong wouldn't fully fade after that time, and he still felt the urge to hold the smaller in his arms to calm him down, having done so in the past whenever Hinata got upset. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]When they reached the front entry of the college, Kageyama stopped in his tracks and looked expectantly at Hinata, not knowing where decent restaurants were located just yet.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=transparent]Hinata looked up at the taller thinking about where the best restaurant would be for the noirette. He had only just gotten to America from what he had heard, so he probably had no time to try to get an acquired taste for any of the American food. He put a hand to his mouth, tapping his foot lightly in thought, "I think that way would be best for food." he said, pointing to the left of the entryway, to where he had his first American meal that made it easier for him to actually start eating their stranger food, occasionally having his home country's food every now and again. He began to walk in the direction to where he had pointed, guiding the other to where he had thought of.[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]As Hinata directed Kageyama down the streets, the man looked around, watching many cars drive around straight roads, a lack of large intersections apparent unlike they had been in Japan. Only once or twice did Kageyama have to cross the road and though he thought it was odd, he also assumed it was safer that way. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Hinata stopped in front of a restaurant and opened the door, Kageyama standing back and looking at the sign. "Deh....Den. Den... eyes?" The noirette cocked his head in confusion at trying to read the sign, looking at Hinata with a rare blank look on his face.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Hinata let out a small laugh, looking at the other and speaking in a bit of English now that they were out in public. "It says Denny's. I'll help you with your English a little more." he said, opening the door and going into the restaurant, telling the person at the desk that their were two of them. The waiter then gestured that they follow him and he brought them to a booth where they could sit. He then handed out two menus. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Can I get you both something to drink while you look through the menu?" He asked, pulling out a little notepad. Hinata looked to Kageyama saying in Japanese, a little hushed, "He asked what we would like to drink."[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Kageyama sent a light glare to the male sitting across from him, wanting to say '[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]I know, [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]idiot [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent], I took English for a reason'[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent] but refrained from being rude in public and instead have a gruff nod. Looking down at the menu, which reflected every surface of light there was and was oddly sticky, Kageyama squinted before his eyes landed on something. It took a moment of hesitation before he was able to get the word out.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Tea," he told the waiter before remembering his manners in English. "Uh, please.." He said, drawing out the first e too much. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"With lemon?" The waiter asked back. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Kageyama froze and thought for a moment, wondering if serving hot tea with a tinge of lemon to it was a custom. He nodded to the waiter, agreeing silently to try the lemon tea.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Hinata watched the other, listening to his English and laughing slightly, trying to hold it back, at the little mess ups he made here and there. He looked at the the waiter. "I'll have some water please." the waiter nodded to the two of them before walking off to go fetch them their drinks. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Kageyama do you need help learning English?" Hinata kept to a whisper as he spoke Japanese to the other. He knew Kageyama probably didn't have much time to learn that much English on the way over so he figured he could always help him out with learning the basics and what he would need in daily life. He could always teach him what he needed to know for classes or just out on his own in the real word. He knew some English, but you could tell it was not his "Native tongue". [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]He leaned back in his seat, grabbing the menu and looking at everything. He basically already knew what he wanted, but he figured he should probably look over it again just to see what they might have if anything else were to interest him, while he waited to see what Kageyama had to say.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]After the waiter left and Hinata asked the question, Kageyama sent a dirty look to him. He huffed. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Baka..," he murmured while staring down at the table. He sighed inwardly, knowing he only took English class long enough to learn the formal basics and he knew he'd need to learn much more to be able to strive in American college and day to day life. "Yeah," He said finally, "I only learned the basics like asking for things and things to say in certain situations. I had to leave sooner than I thought in order to catch a cheap plane to America," he said in Japanese.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Hinata nodded. "That's what I thought. Hmm. Well, what do you want to eat? I can try and teach you how to say that much for now at least." he told him, setting down his own menu and looking at Kageyama. He would continue to talk to Kageyama in Japanese until he could probably have a full conversation with him when he finally learned most of what he would need to get through a day. "Food would be a good start anyway since you need it everyday. So basically just point to what you want and then try and sound it out and I can tell you where to go from there." he assured him, placing his chin in his palms, elbows on the table.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Kageyama nodded and looked down to skin the menu. He flipped through a few of the sticky plastic pages before looking at Hinata with a genuinely confused look. "No feesh?" he said in English.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"No fish. They don't normally eat things like Sushi and such here in America. Trying to say fish. Like me. F-i-sh." he sounded out the word, trying to show Kageyama how to say it in English even if he still had the Japanese accent with it.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"F.. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]Fish[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]..? " he said, hoping he got the pronunciation right. Secretly, he was glad that if anybody from back in Japan had to teach him English like a teacher or mother, that it turned out to be Hinata. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]The waiter momentarily jostled Kageyama as they set down the drinks, Kageyama getting more and more confused by American customs. "What the hell..." he murmured in Japanese, staring at the tall, plastic cup that held what clearly was tea, but was accompanied by large ice cubes and a lemon that was partly dunked in the liquid. He looked over and saw Hinata grab at one of the wrapped straws on the table, thumping one of the ends against the table as a clear tube popped out. Kageyama followed suit and warily took a sip if the iced tea, making a crude face as if the tea had personally assaulted him.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Hinata laughed slightly, taking a sip of his own water. "It's an acquired taste, but American tea actually tastes pretty good once you take a couple more sips and get used to it." he went back to looking at the menu Kageyama had. "Have you thought of anything you want?" He asked, looking back up into his navy eyes.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Looking back down at the menu, he carefully skimmed over the images and read through the descriptions, skipping over words he didn't know. After a minute or two, he realised that there [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]was [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]indeed fish, but it didn't look like sushi and instead looked cooked. Kageyama was about to settle on that before something caught his eyes. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Beef[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Leaning a bit over the table, he turned the menu so that both him and Hinata were able to read it. "Slow cook...rost?" He looked at Hinata, not realising how childish he looked with the gleam in his eye, pork being his favourite, and though it wasn't curry, he'd go for it anyways.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Slow cooked pot roast. Try saying Roast. The o and a together make an o sound in English and they just kind of roll together." he said, pointing at the word roast like a teacher would with a 5 year old who is just learning how to read. "Also the ed in cooked sounds like a t at the end of it. So now try and say 'Slow cooked pot roast' in English." he said, sitting back up straight and waiting for the other to start following his instructions.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Kageyama stared at Hinata for a few solid seconds before staring back down at the menu. English is hard, he thought to himself. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]Too late to start backing out now though. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Slow..cook'd.. pot. Row. Rowwst. Roast. Hmm," Kageyama hummed as he glanced at Hinata through his thick lashes for approval.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Good. It'll get easier once you get used to all the combined letters." he smiled, closing his eyes as the waiter came up. "Are you two ready to order?" He asked, Hinata said lighting his menu and handing it to the waiter. "I'll have pancakes with sausage and bacon with an egg please." He said practically fluently in English with a slight twinge of the Japanese accent with the l's.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Kageyama fingered the plastic edges of the menu with one hand as he pointed to the item on the menu in case the waiter had trouble had understanding him. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Slow cook'd pot roast, please," he said as he saw Hinata fold up the menu across from him. He did the same and watched the waiter wrote the orders down in a small notepad and tucked it back in the small pouch that hung around their waist. The waiter picked up the menu's and gave them a smile before walking off. Kageyama leaned forward to take a sip from his iced tea, wrinkling his nose but noticing that it did become more tolerable as he drank more of it.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"You did well." the smaller smirk, noticing how Kageyama was learning quite fast and getting used to things how they were in America and how they differed from Japan. He took a sip of his water and leaned against the seat. "I wonder if no one else joined after we left the club. I mean, it was slowly starting to die since the third years left and things just weren't the same anymore." he sighed, giving a sadish smile as he thought about high school days.[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]Kageyama huffed a [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]yeah [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=transparent]in agreement at the statement. Tanaka had been voted captain after the third years left as well as new recruits joining. Kageyama knew that it didn't entirely affect him since he still held up his reputation with Hinata as the 'freak duo' but he had noticed that the overall atmosphere around the team had been different, with less fire. Kageyama guessed he only noticed later since he mostly hung out with Hinata. [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]"Nishinoya left Japan too, a little after you did. I think Tanaka is helping run the store with Coach Ukai. I'm not sure where Tsukishima and Yamaguchi went, however," he murmured resonantly, fingering and rotating the plastic straw in the cup as he stared off into virtually nothing.[/BCOLOR]

Status
Not open for further replies.