After the Escape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jasille kept the fire going while he stood watch, not letting it burn down. Occasionally, he would move to the edge of the clearing and gather a few more sticks, but he always remained in sight of the fire and the tents. It was boring, tedious work, but work that was needed. They could be ambushed in the night, and it would be Jasille's fault. So, he remained vigilant.

When Thea emerged from her tent, Jasille greeted her with a small smile and a wave. When she told him that she could take a turn watching, he politely shook his head. "I feel fine, my lady. There is no need...you need rest, as well, and it is barely even midnight. Still, if you wish, I would not mind you joining me...There is not much else to do, and if having you near will keep me from falling asleep..." He smiled kindly before he poked the fire with a stick he had found, adjusting a couple of the logs.

"How did you fare today?" he asked, glancing over towards her. "I hope our pace didn't hurt you too terribly..."

It was hard to hide the excitement. Since he arrived with the king in the Inn, she and Jasille had not been alone to speak. She felt nervous around him and she often felt her heart speed up in his presence, it was a strange feeling for her. "I do not sleep much at one time, I couldn't go back to sleep if I tried, Ser." She took a place by the fire and considered the next question. She wanted to be honest, but she didn't want to look weak either. "I am fine with the pace, but not as well on horseback. My thighs are sore, I had never imagined the amount of work it took to keep your body upon the beasts. His Majesty looks worn down though, the last hour or so, I thought he may fall from the saddle. I thought to ride closer to his other side as you were, but my lack of skills with the horse may have endangered him more." They sat for a while quietly and Thea now took over tending to the fire for Jasille. At times she seemed more like a servant, though that was her nature after all.
"Jasille? If we reach our destination safely, what do you think my future may hold with the elves? I know that I likely am not like others that would travel there, not just because I am human...but there's nothing inherently special about me. A barmaid from a very small village probably is not the sort to end up there."

"Yes, His Majesty was never one to ride horses...hopefully, though, in the coming weeks he will grow stronger, more accustomed to the horse." Jasille smiled again, though it was grim and his eyes were focused on the fire. When Thea asked what Proste might hold for her, he looked back over at her, his grey eyes serious.

"Hmm...Proste is a country where anyone can be anything. There, women are treated more like equals...if they are strong enough, some become warmaidens. Once, I've been told, there was a queen of Proste, who reigned for thirty years. She had to fight nearly every day against men who believed themselves to be stronger than her and wanted the throne for themselves, but she bested each one of them...she was a foreigner as well, I believe--a wraith from the Far North. But you may also become a barmaid again, if you wish...though, I suspect you wish to do greate things..."

"I wish to do almost anything but be a barmaid again. I don't have to do anything especially great, just be free... or follow the orders of someone I respect and for a purpose. My dreams were always filled with getting away, not what I would do once I did. I'm really, really good with a bow. I hope to show you that one day, though I don't ask for trouble to do so."
She sat for a while, staring at the firelight dancing in front of them both. She worked up the courage to ask something she had wondered for the better part of knowing him, "Are you married or involved, Ser?" She had meant to ask him much more informally and in the wake of another question to slide it in place, but blurted it out instead and now cringed at how she had asked it.

The moment Thea's question escaped her lips, a blush creeped up Jasille's cheeks, though it was too dark to see it. Talking about love and lovers always got him flustered, and was a quick way to get him to blush. Still, he answered.

"Once...but it could never be...we were of different classes. My love was a noble, I just a knight..." He looked away, trembling some as he remembered his sweet king sneaking into his chambers at night and begging to sleep in his bed. But just sleeping quickly became kissing and loving, and then they were forced apart. Letting out a heavy sigh, he looked back at Thea. "And you? Did you leave anyone behind at that town?"

She listened and imagined a beautiful elfish lady in love with Jasille and could imagine the lady's desire to have him. She felt silly and childish with her growing infatuation with the knight, she knew in her mind it could never be. Her heart just had trouble catching up to the idea. His question back to her almost made her forget herself completely and she laughed loudly. "No!" and then her voice quieted, "I would never have had a chance. The men that paid me any attention did not want to love me and would have not been able to touch me unless they paid enough for the chance. Thankfully, no one ever paid enough." Her voice trailed off. She wanted love or to at least be desired for more than one night, but for now, she remained untouched and unloved and a great part of her thought her unworthy of either.

Jasille knew he had to tread carefully here. It was likely that Thea thought he had meant a woman when he spoke earlier, and, should he say the wrong thing, may break her heart. Thea was too sweet and kind to do that to, he decided, as she loudly proclaimed that she had never been loved or in love.

Looking down, Jasille said, "My lady, I am certain that you will find love one day. You are too kind and caring to not ever find it...Don't give up, my lady..." As his voice trailed off, he let out a long yawn.

When it passed, he said, "My lady, I believe I should retire for the night. Please, should you get tired, wake Henley or me up." He smiled at her gently, hoping to avoid further talk of love.

She could not help her mind from now treading where her heart already did. He said that she was kind and caring. No, he had not said that she was beautiful or desirable... but he at least saw her as worthy of love. She sat by the fire after Jasille had gone to his tent and watched the flames lick the air. She could not hide the smile on her face, nor did she need to, no one was awake to hear it. Her heart and mind conspired against her reality as she thought things she should not of Jasille. She had to keep her head, there was no time for frivolous dreams of her lips pressed against his. A couple hours passed as she continued her nighttime day dreaming.

Then she heard the noise. Not far, maybe 50 feet from their camp and as she rose to her feet she saw a glow of yellow light. Her heart felt caught in her throat as she heard voices nearby. She began moving toward the tent when the voices became louder. They must be travelers, what would they do if they saw elves? She ducked her head into the tent, realizing the breach of privacy. "Ser Jasille... people are coming, at least three voices... they are almost here."

Jasille was soon sleeping peacefully on the bedroll beside his king's, his boots and shirt off and his swordbelt beside them. He rested as comfortably as he could, his expression placid and gentle for once as he slumbered.

It was a good sleep, for as long as it lasted. When Thea awoke him, he stirred almost immediately, sensing danger. However, the sound and the movement awoke Dimaethor, who blearily blinked his eyes open. "Jasille...?" he asked groggily, rubbing at his eyes. "What's going on?"

As Jasille grabbed his sword, he said softly, "Just sleep, Your Majesty. I'll tell you about it in the morning." He gave him a soft smile before following Thea out, immediately hearing the voices too. They were closer now, and Jasille drew his sword, calling out into the night, "Show yourselves!"

The voices were suddenly hushed and then murmuring ensued. "Who goes there?" Finally called out from the trees. Thea looked at Jasille, she was nervous, but more worried that Jasille's race would cause them more issues than anything. "Jasille, try to cover yourself...they should not know you're ... you know."
Henley came out of his tent then, looking around and surveying the scene as the voice from the trees called out again.
"Likely same as you... travelers along the road." He said as the movement reached the clearing and a horse with a rider and two men on foot appeared. The men looked around quickly, surveying the scene and letting their eyes only fell upon each of the three of them for a moment.
"Good sir, could we share your fire? We caught ourselves too late and with too few supplies, misjudging the town of Davlyn Draw. I am assuming our folly in thinking we could reach it before it got too late." The man on horseback said.
"I'd say your assumption should have turned into fact hours ago. Davlyn Draw is still a day's ride ahead." Henley said. "But please... share our fire, have some food, though it will need to be heated up." Henley invited them, knowing any other course of action would cause a disturbance. "Jasille, please, get some rest good man... you've had the least. Thea and I will see to our guest's comfort." He said hoping Jasille understood the need for him to hide himself for the mean time. He was not prepared without cape to hide what he was.

Jasille watched the other travelers enter the clearing with barely-disguised mistrust. They were strangers, possibly dangerous, and Jasille was taking no chances when it came to his king. Still, as Henley suggested he go to sleep, he nodded, understanding that he should hide. His ears were a dead giveaway to his heritage, if not his height and slender build.

"Yes, of course," he said, returning to his tent. There, he sheathed his sword, but he did not sleep. Should he hear the sounds of struggle outside, he would burst out and remedy the situation with his sword.

Dimaethor, however, was awake. "Jasille, what's going on?" the king asked, sitting up. "What are those voices outside?"

Jasille shrugged before he said, "I don't know...hopefully just travelers...I don't like the idea of being cooped up in here the rest of the night, but you should get back to sleep..."

Dimaethor nodded, his eyebrows pressed together with worry. The young king lied back down, pulling his thin blanket over him. Jasille, meanwhile, sat at the entrance to the tent, listening as best as he could to the travelers.

"I'm Ser Cal, from Ransteel. These are two soldiers of his king's army. We're traveling through on business for his highness. I believe I did sorely misjudge my distance from Davlyn Draw. Are you from there?" The knight asked.
"No, but I know it well enough, have traded there many times. My name is Henley, this is my daughter, Thea." Henley said and looked over at Thea, "Be a dear and get these men something warm to eat." He did not like his choice of words the moment he said them. A snicker from one of the soldiers struck Henley especially poorly.
"And your other companions?" Ser Cal asked.
"My nephew and his son, actually....both of them taken ill with the last cold snap. I'm not sure with the lesions on the poor boy... but I hope it's settled soon enough." Henley tried putting in their heads that it could be a plague of some sort.
Thea quickly heated up the left overs from their earlier meals and portioned it out. She knew to give the knight a larger portion and then served the men. One guard leered at her and she gave him an icy look in return.
"Your daughter...how old?" Cal asked.
"Nineteen, Ser. I hope that I can count on you and your companions to be the gentleman I expect from the king's own soldiers and knights." Henley said, not sure of the intent of the question.
"I believe that you can count on that. Thank you for you and your daughter's hospitality. We can be out of your hair after sunrise. We will set up camp here for the evening and help keep your small camp safe. And your daughter of course." Cal said in a voice Henley liked less and less.

As Henley spoke with the men, Jasille knew that he would get no more sleep that night. He did not trust the human king in the slightest, even if he himself had never wronged the elven kingdom. Those men were vulgar and vile, and Jasille did not trust them. Who knew what they would do to Thea given the chance? Raking a hand through his hair, he peeked out of the tent, looking at the humans warily.

Hopefully, they would eat and go to sleep soon, so Jasille would have one less thing to worry about. Scowling, he kept his eye on them, his eyes hard. Should any of them do anything he didn't like, he would kill them all without hesitation.

There was little small talk after the men ate dinner. Henley watched them watch Thea and he felt his ire rising. He could do nothing if the men attacked her, he knew that and they likely knew that. He did not even wear a weapon. Jasille would have to take them on himself and expose what he was to them. Or Thea would have to fight them off of her and what would happen to the King if Jasille fell? The responsibility pressed at him and he felt very inadequate.
He looked up, almost with an angry glare, "Thea, go to bed. I'd prefer if you watched over your cousin tonight and slept there."

Thea could not argue, though she wanted to. The idea of leaving Henley out here alone was frightening, but arguing would blow the appearance Henley had suggested and cause trouble. She went into the tent with Jasille and Dimaethor. She gave him an apologetic look and very quietly moved to the corner and sat down. "I'm sorry." she whispered and looked over the the king. He still seemed to be sleeping and so she tried to remain quiet and not disturb him.

Henley spoke for a while with Cal, but for the time being, nothing upsetting happened. Cal and the guards turned in and Henley poked his head into the tent. "I don't want to hear a word, Thea... you stay in here." He looked at Jasille with desperation. "I know your duty is to him, but please... I don't trust those men with her."

When Thea entered the tent, Jasille scooted over for her. "You can have my bedroll," he said softly. As he continued listening to what was happening outside, he sighed softly. Then, Henley was there, telling Thea to be quiet and asking him to protect her. "Okay," he said softly, nodding. "I will protect her as if she is my king."

Meanwhile, Dimaethor was tossing and turning on his bedroll, his expression becoming one of pain and sorrow. "Mama..." he called out in his sleep, tears escaping his eyes. "Da..."

Jasille looked down at Dimaethor, wishing he could do something to calm his king. But he was no replacement for a true parent, and the most he could do was brush his hair back from his face.

Focusing back on Henley, he asked, "Are you able to take the watch? I am tired, and I'm sure Thea is as well...you...you should take my sword. If those men try anything, do your best to distract them until I can get there."

"I'd just assume not to take it. I have no defense with that, I have a few tricks up my sleeve though... and if I use them, you will know that there is trouble afoot. Rest, both of you." Henley said and started to walk away, but Thea pushed forward, "No!"
Henley gave her a stern look. "Thea..."
"I can help, please." She pleaded and shook her head, she just didn't understand. If she were out of sight, there was a better chance they would forget about what they may have on their mind. Henley looked to Jasille. "She's not to come out, you know why." And with that statement, he shut the flaps and sat back down with Cal.
"You can sleep, I'm watching out for Henley and if they make a move near him... " Her voice trailed off, she didn't know what she would do, she had left her bow outside. She stood, intending to go and get it.

Jasille watched Thea's brief argument in silence, wishing he knew more about how humans interacted. Elves were different. They didn't protest or argue when someone older or of a higher station told them to do something. Biting his bottom lip, he nodded to Henley as he left, letting out a sigh.

However, as Thea looked like she was about to leave, Jasille did the only thing he could think of that would stop her. He grabbed her wrist and pulled her close, kissing her. The moment his lips met hers, he immediately felt the wrongness of it all. It wasn't right. He was taking advantage of a girl, barely older than his king was, to keep her from being taken advantage of.

He pulled away a second later, forcing his expression to form into one of caring. "Please," he said, guilt beginning to fill him. "Stay."

Her heart raced so fast she wondered if it could jump out of her body. She had never wanted to be kissed before and since she saw Jasille, she had wanted that very thing with him. She had worked so hard to convince herself that it would never happen. He would never see her as anything but a common human barmaid and he was a elven knight, tasked with keeping the king alive. And now, Jasille had kissed her, exactly what she made her mind up would never happen.

It was quick and over with before she had a moment to react to it. She looked him in the eyes when he asked her to stay and she couldn't process what had happened. She looked at the sleeping king, seeing him still and for the moment, at peace then looked back at Jasille. "I'll stay." she said quietly and looked at him expectantly, "You kissed me." She whispered as if it was half a statement and half a question to him.

"I kissed you," Jasille echoed. It still felt so wrong. Not only because she was a sweet, innocent young woman, barely older than a child, but also because she was a woman. He had never felt any attraction to any woman, elven or otherwise, and Thea was no different. Jasille felt like scum, a liar, a man with no right to call himself a knight. Still, if he told her now that he truly felt nothing for her, it could hurt her worse than anything else he could say.

Forcing his guilt to stay off of his face, he said to Thea, "I...I apologize...my lady...that...that was indecent..."

It was as if hearing him say it meant even more than him doing it. She looked away as she smiled, unable to hide her pleasure in the act. He was so quiet, she didn't know anything about elves to know how they would act when they wanted a woman. Completely oblivious to how Jasille really felt, she allowed herself to want him. She had held it back this whole time, as soon as a thought of him would enter her head, she would push it out and think of him only as the elven knight.

Was she now allowed to think of him as a man? She looked at him and when he looked into her eyes, she felt the want of him and this time she allowed herself to feel it. "It was not indecent, it was nice." She said and smiled warmly at him. She didn't make a move toward him and did not know how to let him know it was okay to kiss her again.

Status
Not open for further replies.