After the Escape

Status
Not open for further replies.
It didn't take long for Jasille to find Henley. He placed a comforting hand upon his shoulder, gently turning him to face him. "I am sorry," he said simply. He looked down, his grey eyes looking like the sea at dawn. "I know I have hurt you...but I am not the person to change her mind. And...if you want and are able, I invite you to join us. As you have said, who knows what we will face on the road. And if His Majesty falls ill again, I would like to have a trained healer nearby..."

Henley never thought about that as an option. This house was full of memories of his love...and he looked around. All those memories had been covered up by his work. Until Thea came into his life, he buried all his memories under the equipment. She was the one that helped him clean out the back bedroom and make a place he could reflect and remember things of his life before. She was leaving with this elf, he saw the way she was around him, confident and free.

He looked around the lab and then took a look at Jasille, he gave the elf a long look and finally sighed. "I will go. I am no warrior... Thea is your boon in that regard, but I am not. I will likely slow you down, I'm older than I look. I know I feel like I am trying to talk you out of allowing this. But, I love her. Not in the sense of a man and a woman, but I love her in my own way. If she were gone, I don't know what I would do. She's special. Would you reconsider asking her to go with her? If not, I will go."

Jasille was relieved that Henley wasn't furious with him. As he spoke, he listened silently, before replying, "I am not sure that I can change her mind. But I will try, and if I cannot, I welcome you, Henley." He bowed before returning to the bedroom where he had left Thea and Dimaethor.

Facing Thea, he said, "Henley wishes for you to stay, my lady. It is still your choice, but if you choose to leave, he has said that he will come with us." He looked down at his king, who was peacefully asleep, a small smile on his face. "His Majesty seems to like you, though, my lady...and a healer would be a great help..."

Thea looked at him, at first she thought he had changed his mind, but then she realized that he wanted her to go with them and Henley too. She had already started to smile at him when he began mentioning his King's attachment to her.

"Henley was a hermit when I was brought to him. The townspeople turned their back on him when his housemate died, his grief made it obvious that he and the man were more than friends. I suppose you already know how some people look on that. All I saw was that he was hurting, he helped me when Sylil had hurt me pretty bad. It seemed like I could repay him for his help. I know it looks like he's still peculiar and I know he still feels sorrow for his love, but he is a good man. But, I cannot stay here, with or without him...with or without you, I have to leave. Sylil will kill me and no one in this town will betray him if they know I am here. I am going and I would be happy to defend your king with my life." She walked over to the bed and embraced Jasille, for her it was how she could pledge her oath. She let him go and sat beside the king, he reached for her hand and she took it, leaning over and kissing him on the forehead.

Jasille jumped as he was hugged, and tentatively hugged back, but she pulled away soon after. When she kissed Dimaethor's forehead, he smiled gently before excusing himself.

He quickly found Henley, and told him, "Thea has told me that she will leave with or without you, sir." He looked down, shoving his hands into his pockets. And she said that you have lost much here. Sir, we all would be happy to have you with us. Even if you aren't a fighter."

"I will go. Perhaps getting away from all of this will help. But, if I am to go... We need supplies." Henley was off, his sorrowful words cut short as he found a new energy and began flitting around his lab. He filled vials, made powders into envelopes, measured ingredients and grabbed small instruments. "Elves like horses, right? I have fine ones, Alsor did... I kept them, I couldn't part with them." He rattled on about his lab.

Thea sat beside the king and gently stroked his hand. He nestled in closer to her and she ran her fingers through his hair. She wondered how old he was, knowing that elves were different in how they aged than her kind. She'd not had a sibling and wondered if this was how it would have been. His eyes fluttered open and he looked at her and smiled. He didn't say mama this time, he just looked into her eyes and kept smiling. He looked better and she was happy for that.

Jasille watched Henley move about his lab, his grey eyes serious as usual. "Henley," he said, hoping to stop him. "We do not need to leave until His Majesty is better. Perhaps tomorrow or the next day. So you don't need to overexert yourself...rest...for it is a long journey to Proste."

Dimaethor, now awake, blinked up at Thea, no longer shivering and sweating. He gave a weak smile, his eyes sometimes struggling to focus on Thea. Some of the color was coming back to him now, but he was still feverish. "Mmm...water...?" he asked, coughing afterwards.

She smiled down at him and as she gave him the water, she got ready to go tell Henley and Jasille that he was up. But he reached out for her hand again and she took it. She could tell he no longer thought she was his mother. "My name is Thea." she said. "Your knight, he has moved mountains to see to your safety, your majesty. I think he should like to know you're awake. " She moved his hair from his forehead and caressed the skin there. He still did not loosen his grip on her hand. "It's fine...I'll stay by your side until you're ready." She whispered to him and continued to caress his hair and forehead. She wondered why he stared at her the way he did, a look of content and maybe... awe? She wasn't sure, this certainly wasn't something she was accustomed to. Being comforted or being the one to comfort had never suited her well. But now, it seemed so natural to her.

"Knight..." Dimaethor mumbled as Thea told him what he had done recently. Then, his green eyes flew open, as he was trapped in the memory of the assassination attempt. "Kina!" he yelled, his grip on Thea's hand tightening. "No!" Tears sprung to his eyes, feeling like he was trapped underneath the assassin's weight again. He felt the knife on his throat, the pressure on his chest, and the panic coursing through his veins. "Jasille!!" he screamed.

The knight was there in seconds, his sword held in his hand as he asked, "What's going on?"

She held him close to her and as he screamed out, he held her back. His body crushed against hers as Jasille came in with his sword drawn. Thea jumped, she wasn't sure what his intention was and she let go of the king and backed away. "I'm sorry... he had woken, I was telling him all you had done for him. I was only trying to comfort him when he yelled out."

Jasille's sword was still pointed toward her as if she could have been a threat to them. She put her head down and quickly walked out the room, quietly closing it behind her, feeling foolish for attempting to know what it would be like to comfort someone. She didn't like to feel sorry for herself, so many had it much worse. But, she did not know comfort and should have not tried to give it to someone else.

As Thea left, Jasille sheathed his sword before he approached the bed, where Dimaethor was still crying out. He sat next to him on the bed, cradling him in his arms. "Shush, Your Majesty," he whispered, trying to calm him down. "You're safe. I'm here. Kina can't get to you here." Rubbing his back, he soothed Dimaethor until his cries ceased and he was lying down once more.

When Dimaethor allowed him to leave, Jasille quickly found Thea, and said, "I am sorry, my lady...but after what happened, I suppose I am overprotective of my king. It is not your fault, you were just trying to help. His Majesty liked your presence, but I think he is more used to me, so he wanted me to be there...if you still want to, he might want you to be there..."

"There's no need to apologize, I was not expecting you to have your sword drawn. I fully understand it. And your king, he does not know me, I am a stranger to him. I only wanted to give you both the privacy you may want." She smiled at him, seeming much younger than she was. "I think I am going to sleep for a bit, it's been a long day for me."

She walked over to a small couch in a darkened corner of the main room and curled up on it, pulling a blanket over her body. She had rarely ever slept in this much comfort and she fell asleep immediately. Henley had been watching her and shook his head at Jasille. "I suppose you might wonder why I never paid Sylil for her?" he paused for a moment, taking a kettle off one of the flames and pouring a mug of hot tea for both himself and Jasille. "People already think ill of me, and she's so young...what would they think then? I've always kept an eye on her, made sure Sylil never used her as a whore in his tavern, I knew he wanted to, but something stopped him from it. I swore I'd intervene if he became serious about it."

Jasille was silent as Henley told him about why he had never had Thea. Nodding, he was about to say something when a weak voice called from the bedroom, "Jasille? I'm hungry...and I want a bath..."

The knight looked to Henley and asked, "Do you have a bath? And, if possible, something to help him get his strength back? When he first got sick, he couldn't eat anything...he's lost so much weight..." He smiled sadly, hoping that Henley could help out. "If not, I can go to the market, if there is one, and buy something..."

"I do... " Henley first went to the far side of the room and Jasille followed. He could tell this room had once been a fully appointed kitchen. Henley moved a few things and took out some things to make something to eat. He made a simple broth and added a few bits of potatoes and meat to it. He made two bowls and handed one to Jasille. "I added a bit more meats and potatoes to yours, he should take it easy until his strength is returned. But, I will add this, "Henley poured a bit of yellow liquid into the king's bowl, "to aid in that respect." He hoped Jasille knew his intentions for the king were in the right place.

"Feed him, I will get a bath set up while you do." Henley assured him.

"Thank you," Jasille said, bowing awkwardly with the bowls in his hands. He walked back to the bedroom, where his prince was lying down, looking uncomfortable. He wasn't used to hunger or pain, even though they had been out of the castle for more than two weeks. Jasille set the bowls down before helping Dimaethor sit up. Handing him the bowl, he said, "Here, Your Majesty. It'll help you get your strength back."

Dimaethor nodded, and ate a mouthful silently. Then, he made a face, and said, "This is peasants' food! Jasille!"

The knight sighed and answered, "Your Majesty, please. You need to eat all of it. You have lost a lot of weight recently, and if we are to get to Proste, you have to get your strength back." The king let out a sigh, making a face again.

Finally, he said, "Alright..." He diligently ate, and when he was finished, Jasille began to eat from his own bowl, satisfied with his king's welfare for now. When he was done, he said, "Come, Your Majesty. Let's get you to the bath." He helped him stand, wrapping the blanket around his shoulders so he wouldn't be completely naked walking through the house.

Henley began thinking of the most concentrated forms of potions and serums to take so that he could save space. The only thing he knew of Elvish illnesses was that because of the young king's pneumonia, likely humans and elves had similar issues of the lungs. Nothing else. It wasn't much to go on, but all he could do was hope that he brought the correct things to be of use. He knew Thea had not been sick since he knew her, but if she were going to fight to defend the king...she would need wound care, as would Jasille. He knew his own ailments and would plan accordingly for himself as well.

Now the questions he had turned to timing. How long before the king could travel? How long before Sylil came looking for Thea here? And how long it would take to get to Proste? None of which could be a determined answer, it would all happen when it happens.

Jasille walked into the kitchen with Dimaethor, gently guiding him. "Where is the bath?" the knight asked. Dimaethor, meanwhile, asked, "Where are we...? What town?" When Jasille answered, the king nodded before commenting, "My head feels weird without my crown...after I bathe, can I have it back?"

Letting out a sigh, Jasille nodded before saying, "Only when you're strong enough to carry a sword again." Pouting, Dimaethor nodded, and said, still ignoring Henley, "Alright..."

Henley showed them to a large room and left them to take care of everything. Meanwhile, he noticed Thea was up and looking around. "What is it Thea?" He asked and she bit at her lip for a moment. "You sold the emerald, right?"
"yes, why?"
"Can you get it back?" She asked.
" If I had that sort of money, perhaps... but I don't. You paid Sylil." Henley answered.
"You sold it to Velba, the jeweler?" She prodded.
"Yes, what is with all these questions?" But as he turned to scold her, she was gone. He ran to the door and saw her slip into the shadows. "Damn!"

Jasille helped his king into the bath before handing him a cloth to wash himself with. "There aren't any servants here. You will have to learn to care for yourself, Your Majesty." Dimaethor frowned, looking more like a child than ever. He soaked the cloth in the water before asking for soap.

"Here, Your Majesty," Jasille replied softly, handing him a small bottle of soap. "It's not like at the castle, but it will make you clean. I will wait for you in the sitting room." He made sure that his king was alright before he stood and left the bathroom. Finding Henley, he immediately noticed the lack of Thea's presence.

"Did Thea leave?" he asked, leaning against a table and looking over at the healer.

((Sorry I didn't reply sooner! I thought I did, but I guess it didn't go through D: Sorry!!))

Henley sighed, long and exhausted sounding, "i should have known she would do something like this...she went off to get the jewel you gave her. I think she wants to be sure your king has his crown, intact and complete. I Didn't think she would do it and by the time I realized it, it was too late."
Henly looked worried, thinking the jeweler himself not a threat, But those that protected him were.

Thea paused outside the shop, knowing if she could run in there first, she could likely get herself presentable enough to perhaps get into the jeweler shop. She picked the lock in the back of the dress shop and went inside. She quickly found a dress that was lowcut in the front with a tight bodice. She fixed her hair, letting the soft black curls hang down her back, while gathering the top off her face. She felt older and pretty. She made her way to the jeweler shop and saw a man standing outside of it. She approached him and he beamed at her. She hoped she could pull this off.

Status
Not open for further replies.