After the 3rd kind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hours rolled into days and still Lara slept. It was like her body was healing and recovering from all the horror and trama of the last few days if not weeks. A phone rang in the apartment. It seemed to ring forever. It was relentless. It was nice outside the flat and everything seemed to be in its place. A warm smell of fresh eggs and sausages filled the air. A little humming floated in the air as someone was cooking. Hot coffee also filled the air. A little radio played some German tune. It was just like home in some strange way.

A shadow moved near the bed and set down a fresh cup of coffee than it moved back toward the other room. The phone rang again and this time the shadow picked it up. "whats..yeas.. no no change.. today maybe.. no shut it up I have disss under my control.. no no.. you dont need to come.. no she be fine. .all is fine, he too, I go now.. yeash.. i know stop calling.. "

The shadow hung up as Lara nuzzled into Alex for warmth. She blushed but didnt wake. The shadow moved over to the bed again and poked Alex, it wasnt hard but effective.

"You.. you human.. must wake to much sleep bad.. I help you too okay.. I know strange but yeas I help.. come now come.. I feed you.." the shadow took the form of an older woman with a big tummy and stained housecoat. "Come now.. come..she okay.. no one know nothing.. its all shh shh. okay" she touched her lips and nodded to him.. "come eat, ask me I help, star needs rest.. many days and no night not so good..come I say" she was a bit gruff toward the end but it was all done with a smile.

Alex was lost in her warmth. He did now know how long they lay there but it didn't matter.

"Hey!" he complained as someone poked him. His eyes opened looking at Lara, she was snuggled against him, obviously not the culprit. He turned his head and saw a shadow above him, and the shadow was talking to him. Then the thing changed shape!!

Slowly he sat up, careful not to disturb Lara, he pulled a blanket from the bottom of the bed over her and stood, still dressed in the clothes Wheeler had given him. "what.... er..... who... are you?" he asked. Looking around the properly room for the first time. "And where are we?"

She smiled and blinked at him her eyes doing a tripple blink in ultra fast sucession. "We are here, she saw ad so we are here.. I sound like this since communicator is broken.. better I sound like this" she thing cleared its throat for a moment and closed its eyes.

"Hi like I can totally help you and junk, like I totally know whats going on" the think flickered in shape and turned into a Cali girl with blonde hair and blue eyes. She was a sight too. Nice curves and a sweet smile. "This better, like I mean I can change into whatever you want or whatever.. Oh hows this.." The form changed again and giggled as it vanished and then came back into full foucus as a small child. About 10 or 12.

"I can be a kid too and boy or girl, but I like being a boy. Also long as its on the internet, we can do most anything. Its really cool. Star taught me everything" the kid pointed to the bed.

"Hey is she awake yet?? I so want to know more, I mean she is the best ever.. and Im not a bug.. its sooo cool. They teach us that first so we get hurt by people but um that was a bad idea people hate bugs.."

The kid went to say more before he noticed the food. "Oh sweet food.. and its really real... nice.." He quickly ignored Alex and got a plate. He was average size and looked perfectly normal. He smiled at Alex as he sat down with his plate of food. "you gonna eat?"

Alex couldn't help but take a step back at the thing transformed. He didn't think he would get used to that. He stood silent as it transformed again.

"Uhhh... You're one of <i>them</i> right?"

He found himself oddly calm, and looked at Lara for a second. "Shes one of...." he took a plate of food and sat down eating slowly, he had to wonder what this creature was, and why it was here, and why he was here.....

"Umm yehahf" the kid ate fast and got up for more eating it right out of the pan. "Umm yeah.. she is a star and so am I .. well star class if you want to be all touchy about it. We offically known as Xynthalian's, but whatever.." the kid ate more and smiled.

"So you love her huh? thats cool.. I mean it did save you after all right.." he smiled again and then went to the fridge and took out some oj and drank right from the carton. "Umm man they dont let us have human food often cuz it makes uss.. sleepy" he blinked and shook his head. "See" the kid set the carton on the counter. "Star will tell you more.. ok.. Im gonna.." the kid went to take one step and just slumped to the floor snoring.

In the room Lara woke up and looked around she giggled and pulled the blankets around her. She had gotten cold and it woke her up. "Alheexx" she yawned and rubbed her eyes..

Alex tried to make sense of what he was saying, it sounded believable but.... he wanted to talk to Lara. He was wondering if he should do anything about the collapsed child? Before him when he heard her from the bedroom. “I'm here Lara.” he called and went to the doorway, “Ummm. There is some...one here, but it seems to have passed out..... Happy to see you're awake.”

He smiled walking over to the bed and sat down, taking her hand and squeezing it gently. “how are you doing? I think that.... kid... wants to talk to you.”

Lara blushed and pulled Alex into a soft but warm kiss. Pulling back she blushed once more. "Im sorry I just had too.." she clung to him as she rubbed her eyes. "Whos here? and were is here?" Even Lara looked confused until it hit her. "We are free? I mean this isnt a lab, and its not a tank.. we got out.. Oh darling we are free" she was on her feet in seconds as she ran to the window and looked out.

"Look realy people, people that dont know about us.. oh isnt this wonderful.. " Lara was more alive then she had ever been. "Oh and I smell food.. yeas food.." she ran to the kitchen and then noticed the slumped over child. "Oh my god.. Andy.." she went to him and picked him. "Oh you over did it again huh.." she held him close as his eyes opened up a little. "Oh star your okay.. Ive missed you so much hhhckc" the child hic-upd and giggled. Lara giggled too. "how did you get here..?" she asked him as he sat up and looked at her, softly touching her hair.

"So your really real.. your so lucky.. " he sighed and looked at his shoes. "Whats wrong Andy..?" "They want you to come home.. once the Orb is released.. its just not safe for you here but its your choice.. even if it will make the elders really mad" the child yawned and rubbed his eyes. "I want more hashbrowns and that gravy.." he whinned. "No you go lay down and let me worry about the elders, they wont have let me escape with Alex if I was suppose to go right home, dont lie to me, you want me home dont you.?" Lara looked at him very cross. Andy turned around and clung to her. "You have to come back its lonely out there.. please..for me.." Lara looked like she might cry. "Go lay down.. and well see" Lara sighed hard and sat down. She looked tired again but it was with worry.

Alex returned her kiss and smiled as she blushed. "You're the one who brought us here. And I have no idea where he are." he followed her to the kitchen and listened as the two talked. They seemed close and he leaned against the wall and watched. He caught a few words he didn't quite place into context and frowned slightly, something was going on, sounded like Lara might be going somewhere...

"Whats up?" he asked trying to sound casual but at the same time he was worried,

he picked up a plate and put some food on it and put in in front of Lara before sitting down opposite her.

Lara picked up her fork and poked at the food and then pushed the plate away and started to cry. Her head dropped into her hands as she sobbed. "Its not fair Ducky.. its just not fair.. Im suppose to release the Orb and go back.. its all a test to see if we can be with humans and further our race."

It was out. All her cards were on the table and he could either hate her and reject being used and expose her to the world, or love her and stand by this hard decision.

"I mean I didnt mean to.. I never wanted to hurt you and I didnt use you I sware..thats never what I wanted. Never" Lara was shaking. Being human was so hard and feeling things was even worse but it all came with being human for this assginment.

"Our race will not survive without new Orbs to take the place of the dying ones. We are dying by the thousands. All those stars that disapear, thats us.. and they asked me to come to earth and try to be in a new form in the hope that we could survive but they got mad since I took to long and everything got all messed up" Lara was rambling now as she tried to make things clear to Alex, but in her heart she felt like it was already to late. The damage was done and he would reject her. He would reject the thought of being used. Never would she have a normal life, she was expendible to them and it was clear that her own kind was using her, even if was distroying her.

Alex closed his eyes, tight, his face dropping to look at the table..... so it was true... all of it, he .......... he guessed he just hadn't wanted to believe it. For a split second he thought the voice had returned at a rush of conflicting thoughts overcame him.

Human feelings? can she even imagine what I'm feeling right now? She couldn't possibly know.

He didn't trust himself to speak, he wanted to say he would always be with her, he would not break down in front of her, he needed her to see he was ok.

He took a deep breath, his hand finding hers but only resting on top, he looked up at her, his face unreadable mask. "What does this mean for us? if you go back what happens to me? If I go wit you will I have to spend the rest of my life in a suit?" he stopped himself before he said anything hurtful...

Lara could feel his anger and got up from the table rejecting his hand. "You may go.. Ive done enough to hurt you, Im sorry" Lara left the kitchen and tried to run to the door but she was cut off by Andy. He looked really mad and jumped infront of her.

"You! You have to stop running away! You.. you keep leaving me alone, you leave us all to just wait and now you run from a human... I hate you.. " Andy blocked the door.

"Tell him the truth.. It wont work without him. How could you just leave him like you left us. Its not fair! Your just scared" Andy was small but very aggressive.

Lara was trying not to cry as Andy yelled at her.

"You left US.. it was YOUR Idea to be with humans! It was your fault I never got big! Its all your fault, I hate you, I hate you! And I still want more food! So leave me alone! I can take care of myself, just like always!"

Andy turned and ran out the door he was just blocking. He could be heard going down the stairs and in the distance a door slammed.

As soon as that door slammed everything seemed to shift and Lara crumbled to the floor. She didnt pass out she was just drained. The room faded away and all the familar smells, sights and sounds of his apartment came into view. Lara sat on the floor defeated.

She didnt say anything at first. The noise from the city filled the air and some horns were honking just like before. The constant rain beat on the window pane and the drippy sink in the kitchen chimmed in on que. Her dream was over and she had to stop messing with his mind.

"Im sorry Alex. He's right. I was my doing. I was lonely and didnt realize that I was making things worse. I left home and came here to escape. Then .. then bad things happened. Ive hurt you and dont know what reality I want to live in. All I know is I cant stop hidding. Its all I know.. Im just scared and I dont want to be alone, but Ill understand if you dont want me no more, Ive mad a mess of your life and thats bad enough."

She stopped talking and hugged her knees to her chest. Her head fell forward as she sighed and cried softly. So confused and scared to trully stick to one life, one way of being.

Alex didn't move as she ran away. He couldn't call out, what was she? His love for her was unchanged but how could he....... she was..... she was one of <i>them</i>! In his conflicted state, and listening to Andy something stirred inside him. Don't say that about her, you little..... little.

He stood, as the room melted. He looked around, immediately recognizing the messy run-down room. With the paradise she had created for them... for him.... his anger melted. And when he looked down at her all he was was a lost defeated woman. The one he loved.

“My life was a mess before you came into it.” he said sitting next to where she lay. “This is the first time in a while that anythings happened, I've been sitting in this room hiding from the world.” he felt like he had been waiting to say this for a long time. He sat with his chin resting on his knees hugging his legs. “You're the first meaningful thing to enter my life..... thank you.”

Lara blinked her eyes red from all the crying. She reached out and touched his hands once more. "I can stop crying, I just feel so bad and Im just so tired.. I cant do this any.." Lara was about to say more but was cut off when Andy came busting back into the apartment with a fist full of candy bars and in this other was a hot dog from the guy on the corner.

"HA!! " he shouted at her as he ran in the room, slammed the door and plopped on the sofa eating his loot like an angry little gremil. Lara just sighed and looked at Alex. A tear slid down her face.

"Im tired Ducky.. Im just so tired.." she blinked again as some of her hair fell across her face. It was like a thin veil that she hid behind. The muching was endless until a familar thump filled the air and the little gultin flopped over with a candy bar in his hand. Andy moaned softly but he was okay. Lara didnt say anything. She leaned into the wall and sighed trying to keep her eyes open. Something about having Alex near her was such a comfort. She blushed as she felt him watching her with worry.

Alex took her hand and stood, pulling her up with him, them put both arms around her and held her close to him. “I love you.” he whispered before stepping back. “Oh............. and Star........” his voice had changed, sounding raspy.... Alex's head turned both ways, simultaneously, it happened so fast it was hard to notice but one face was definatly Alex, the other looked like the ones from his drawings.

“I've been waiting for you....” Alex fell to the floor but exactly where he had been standing was a figure red pupal-less eyes looked at Lara.

The creature examined its body... flexing its three-fingered hands..... “Five years..... five years I've waited, you're late.”

“Don't recognize me? I'm a star tracker, we can't have you running around on random planets.. now are you going to listen to me?” it held a hand above Alex and slowly closed its fingers, as he did so Alex began to stir, as the hand closed he began to struggle small gasps of pain where heard before the creature opened its hand and looked back at Lara.

"Right now his life is in your hands."

Lara screamed and looked to Andy for help but he was out cold. "NO! Please please dont hurt him its not his fault.. if its me you want than take me please..!" she begged him as she watched him contort and shift right before her eyes. She knew that running into Alex had to more than just chance. Now she knew why.

She backed away from him and toword Andy. With the softest touch of her finger Andy was up but still groggy. "hmm what..oh snap!" his eyes focused on Alex and what he had become and the twisted mess before him.

"I told he was bad.. I told you." Andy whispered to her as he got to his feet and clung to Lara as the thing spoke to her. "Im not five years late, its only been two and I have the Orb, if thats what you want just take it, but dont hurt the human." Lara was torn between her duty to her kind and to her love for Alex.

The creature looked at her, “My goal here is not to hurt him, I have already saved his life twice. The second time being holding the mind worm away from his heart long enough for you to remove it. My intention is not to bring pain, merely to keep everything in their place.” he stepped towards the two. “You should have know they would send one of us, the orb is extremely important after all. But that is not my primary concern, there are other reasons why I had to come. I knew you would be here, with the human, but like a said, you're late. And he wasn't meant to be here.” he indicated Andy “But we'll have to make do, this isn't the first time the streams been altered. he sighed, or something close to it, "So, tell me... why are you late?

Lara backaway from the thing and gripped Andy by the arm real tight. "dont let go" she whispered. She blinked and in flash she was gone. Her and andy jumped away. They landed hard on the concert floor in Wheelers office. Panting she helped Andy stand up.

"What the hell I mean L what is that?? Are you insane, wheres Alex..?? Whats going on?" Wheeler was up from his chair as Andy ran to him for a full bear hug.

"Look no time to explain this thing has shown up at Alex's apartment and I cant.." Lara held her stomach and moaned nearly loosing her blance. Thank God for an agent that hear Wheeler, or she would have fallen. He held her up.

Wheeler stepped forward as did Andy. "You cant do this, it will kill you.. your no longer strong enough" Wheeler touched her face as she stuggled to stand.

"I have no choice, that thing has Alex and said I was late. Five years late. What is it talking about?" Lara had no time for games. "Tell me damn you! Its gonna kill Alex if I dont stop it" Right as Lara shouted a pain racked her mind and she screamed.

"Oh so you think your realling going to help him, thats a laugh. Your better off on your back!"

"No please not now please.. Not now. " Lara was muttering and holding her head.

"Thats all you have ever been good for you worthless breeder, you unholy spawn have all died havent they, every last one of them. And what about the men the countless men that you have killed all to further your sick passion for perfection!"

"No thats not true stop saying that" Lara hit the sides of her head over and over trying to get the voice to stop.

"No stop it.. please dont do this to me.. please I have to get back to him please. Andy please dont let it win please.. "

Lara was begging and talking out loud.

"Ive heard enough get her back in quaratine and check him out too for good measure. And dont worry, Im here okay I wont let you get hurt" Wheeler gave a little comfort to Andy as a nurse came in and took him by the hand.

"Come on now L we have to get you looked at." Wheeler touched Lara to help steady her but right as he touched her they jumped back into the apartment. Lara was sent flying into the kitchen where she hit the stove and skidded to a stop. Wheeler was a bit more lucky and he stopped near the sofa. He got to his feet and drew his sidearm. He eyed the thing and knew all to well what it wanted.

The tracker sat sitting calmly at the table as if waiting for them. “Ahh yes, the agent, that is better. The stream is realigning itself.” he said standing and walking towards Lara “Star, you really don't have to keep hurting yourself, just trust those close to you.”

“Stop right there!” Wheeler's gun followed the tracker's movement, “Stay away from L.”

“I know this seams hard to understand agent, but you won't hurt me.”

He bent over Lara and put a hand to her stomach, feeling for damage, then placed another to her head and his mouth opened slightly, “This is not good, not good at all, why did star have to be so late, none of this needed to happen if she wasn't late. Now..... agent.”

He moved towards Wheeler “I know you must assume I am here fir the orb, but the role of the star trackers is to keep things in their place, we are our.... you... And it has to happen soon, or the orb could die, there is something inside Star that is going to kill them both. I can rid her of it but the risk involved if the orb is still present is too great. We should return to your underground work area quickly.”

Lara moaned and tried to move away from the tracker. She was very weak by now and the voice within as hitting an all time high.

"Just give him the Orb, it was neve yours to being with. You can handle that much power. It will kill you and that rodent, you call Andy. Come on now just lay back and take it like the whore that you are.. let him take what he wants, you know you cant fight them off any longer!"

"NO PLEASE NOOOOOOOOOO I CANT STOP IT STOP IT.. GET AWAY FROM ME!!"

Lara was on her feet and smacking her head over and over clawing at her head and face. She had already cut herself with her fingr nails twice. Blood dripped from her cheek. Her hair was a mess as the room spun.

"Oh look their is more than one here to claim you as their prize.. come on now,lay down and take it!!! Let them have the Orb!! your essence will be stolen away forever!!"

Lara was going insane. Trashing around the room knocking over the arm chair and the table and lamp. Wheeler tried to stop her and go a mean fat lip from her elbow. She spun around and hit his other side as her arms and hands beat her own body. He tried again and this time his gun was knocked out of his hand and it slid over to the trackers feet. Wheeler froze as Lara spun out of control, she was near the window but Wheeler was to scared to gab her arm in case the tracker shot him.

The tracker watched Lara, this was a lot worse than he had though, she was not strong enough. It needed to be done now. Ignoring the weapon he rushed forward, grabbing Lara's arm with surprising strength and pulled her too the floor and held her down with one hand. His treatment was rough but there was no time.

“Agent, please stop pointing that weapon at me and come closer, I need your help, its time.”

Wheeler stepped closer as the tracker raised his other hand which started to glow before he lowered it and reached into Lara's abdomen. There was no resistance as his hand slid through her flesh light poring out of where her stomach. Slowly the tracker withdrew his hand and and in it was clasped the orb, its silvery glow filling the room. He handed it back to wheeler as Lara's stomach returned to normal but the hands that took it where not human.

“There, we have it, now take it to the elders. There is something I must do here, she still has the worm, she is too weak to fight it.”

“Then I will see you after the transition brother, it saddens me you choose this end. You should weigh weigh the choice carefully.”

“Leave the shell brother, she will need his guidance. She is not like the others and uniqueness is of the treasures we protect.”

“Then I will relay the news of your demise to the council. See you after my own transition brother, it is coming soon. I can feel it in the stream.”

Without another word the second tracker disappeared in a flash of multicolored light leaving Wheeler standing where he had disappeared before the agent fell to the floor.

“I am sorry Star, perhaps this will let a small part of you forgive me for what I was tasked with.” he put a hand on her forehead and held her head still.

“The Alex treasures you, do not waste what this has given you.”

He closed his eyes and concentrated pulling the thing out of Lara's head. He taunted it, the same way it taunted its victims. This was a strong one, it would doubtfully be a painless experience to kill it but he had to do it.

“You're nothing, you prey on the minds of others, you are not a life-form, you are a virus, a disease. In the end, you're nothing.

He could feel it stirring in her, he had gotten its attention.

“Those who created you are dead, you have failed, the orb is safe.”

He opened his eyes and gasped as the presence entered his mind, he quickly let go of Lara and and backed away. “I choose this fate Star, your Alex will be safe.”

'You have betrayed the council, they will never forgive you. Your name will be marked amongst the damned.'

“There is nothing you can do to me, my time is completed, tere is nothing left for me to do in this plane.”

'You are wrong! Your duties never end, to choose death is to renounce then and betray your kind'

“No, I have competed my task...”

'Your name will be forgotten, there is no place for you beyond the veil.'

He could feel it gripping into his mind, it was time. He put his fingers together forming a ball of light in his hand and let it grow. There was a small explosion and the tracker was thrown back, hitting the wall moaning in pain, Alex dropped to the floor a small distance away and looked at the Alien in shock, horror, then recognition.

“Look after her Alex, she will need you.” the tracker said as the light intensified consuming him, he looked almost happy as the light became to brilliant to look at and then it faded leaving nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.