After the 3rd kind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lara blushed and tucked her hair behind her ear. "Um.. about that..I think I could use a drink more than a meal now.." she smiled at him and started to get up and move toward the door. "We should go, I think.. that yeah.. we should..go.." Lara rubbed her temples a little bit as she caught sight of the bathroom filled with strange scribbles all over the walls. "Yeah.. lets go.." she was in a huge hurry to leave.

"Yes lets." he agreed taking one last look around for the shadow, his gaze lingering for a moment on the mirror. Would it come back to collect his promise? "Do you think this is all over?" he asked draping his jacket over her shoulders to cover her ruined shirt and gingerly putting an arm around her.

Lara blushed from his care and attenion. She wasnt sure what to say as they got to the stairs. "Um.." she blushed more and hid her face into his embrace. She was shaking but trying like hell not to fall apart. As soon as her foot touched down on the marble entryway she blinked and looked up at Alex. "It stopped" her eyes were damp as she looked up at the stairs and the room they had just been in. "its gone" a tear slid down her face she clung to him for comfort and warmth.

Alex held her close to him in silence for a few moments. “They told me they would no longer hold you.” he said finally. He didn't know what else to say so he pulled her into a hug, both hands meeting in the small of her back. Still less than sure just how much she could remember he lightly kissed her forehead then turned to walk with her from the building.

It had started to rain again and the night seemed to just blurr before her eyes. Everything seemed louder and so much more intense then ever before. Lara clung to Alex with all she had. People in the streets seemed to smell of wet dog and everything seemed so bright in the rainy glare. She hid her face in his shoulder as they walked. She didint ask where they were going or if it was all some strange dream. She only knew to keep walking. She had to keep going to get away from the cold nightmare that had gripped her mind, body and heart for so long. Was it all a horible nightmare, she didnt know.

Alex didn't say anything as they walked in the rain, on his bare arms the hairs began to rise with the cold and he instinctively hugged Lara tighter as they walked. He wished he knew what had happened, but guess he would never truly understand, but guessed it was time to get on with his life.... What was left of it? He had the proof he had been looking for for so long. He had someone who had been touched by them too, and who had almost lost herself because of it. What was there left for him to do, or was he just kidding himself that this was over. Should he keep searching?

The next day Lara woke with a start as she sat up in bed and looked around. It looked like her place but it was his. So alike but yet different in little ways. She blushed as she felt him near her. Instintivly she looked down and she was still dressed. Letting out a huge sigh she got up and started to put her shoes on. She felt like their was something she had to be doing but wasnt sure what until her eyes settled on some papers on the table. She saw her black laptop bag and froze in place. Her mind was racing as all these thoughts came back to her. Looking from the bag to Alex still sleeping she gasped soflty and covered her mouth with both hands. He had been there, he knew, he had risked everything for her.. Tears filled her eyes as she tried to catch her breath. Lara was so touched that someone would risk it all to get her back that is made her go to him. She sat next to him on th the bed and touched his hair and face. She hoped not to wake him and blushed at her suddenly feelings for him. Was he the one to stop the madness? It looked that way.. How was she to get her life back now.. what had become of that Lara. In her heart she knew, but refused to face it. She wanted to believe that she was untouched and unharmed by anyone, even them. Lara blinked in complete denial as she forced a smile at Alex and could tell she had woken him up.

It felt like a light breeze only more solid, and only in one place at a time. Alex didn't open his eye as he felt Lara's fingers. A small smile found its way onto his lips as he figured out who it was. His eyes opened and he looked up at her and seeing her smiling spoke quietly. “Good morning.” he said a little embarrassed, he had wanted to wake up before Lara and clean up a bit, he also hoped she didn't think he had done anything.

"Hi" Lara blushed and moved away from him just incase he didnt like people in his space. "Um, Im not sure how to say this, so um Ill just say it." Lara bit her lower lip as she slowly got to her feet and started to pace the small room. "Im.. I mean. I want to remeber you but I cant, and I want to remember why Im here but I cant. I feel like Im in some strange dream, and like I know you but then I dont know you and Im sorry.. I just, I just scared I guess.. I mean I dont even know where I live" Lara looked down and then sat on the sofa knocking over papers of his and she knelt down to collect the mess. "Sorry, sorry Ill get it"

Alex sat up, swung his feet off of the bed and stood, moving over to help her with the papers. His heart felt heavy but he tried not to let the disappointment show on his face. The pictures on the papers caught his eye, the oddly proportioned figures no longer holding the same sense of ominous obsession and foreboding they once had. Instead he felt hollow, without purpose, like he had lost his wind. He had held a small hope that she could fill the void, but....

"I'm Alexander." he said slowly, momentarily avoiding her eyes as he placed some of the pictures on a nearby table. "Though you usually just call em Alex. We shared something, I'm not sure if I can explain. But I think the nightmare is over now. At least thats what they said." He sat down on the couch, clasping his hands nervously, finally allowing himself to look into her face. "Sorry I can't explain things fully, but I can try."

Lara jumped up right as he sat down. "What, your.. your Alex as in theee Alex.. Ducky Alex..??" Lara was shaking.. "Im not suppose to know you, she said, I mean they told it was just a dream and that I was never suppose to wake up, you mean it was real, they really did things and things to that man.. that horrible man..I hate him I hate him.. he tried stuff on me you know, stuff they never approved of, he told them I had the key.. the key yeah.." Lara paced the room once more as her stomach growled and she jumped holding her abdomen. "Oh god what was that.. Am I gonna die now.. I cant I have work, yeah work..right" Rubbing her temples she seemed all over the place in thought as she looked for her shoes, but they were already on her feet. "Have you seen my shoes.. I cant find them.. oh maybe they took them.." her eyes were a bit wild as she turned over the blankets and looked in the kitchen drawers.

Alex visibly deflated, if he had knows she was on a hair trigger he would not have told her his name. 'This is what happens when you get involved.' he scolded himself silently. 'You get attached that always leads to disappointment, thats something you're good at disappointing people.'

“I don't know.” he said, not talking about the shoes.

“Please sit down.”

'you idiot, you should let her go'

“Lara....I...”

'You what, love her? She can't even remember you without losing it'

“Stop it”

'You're better off without her, let her live her crazy life and.........'

“Shut up just... shut....up...”

'You know its true'

“Shutupshutupshutupshutup......................”

He held his head in his hands talking quietly to himself, his words becoming quieter as he became less aware of his surroundings.

<b>NOTE:</b>

the single quotes are in his head

the double quotes he says aloud

Lara heard him saying shut up over and over again and she stopped talking. Lowering her tone and her eyes from him she fell silent. Closing the last drawer she rubbed her eyes and rubbed her arms. This place was different from before and yet she felt at home. Lara stood confused and tried to hide. "Um, Ducky, um Im sorry" Lara picked up her coat and started to put it on.

"Im I'll just go" In her heart she knew she had no place left on earth that would take her, but with any luck the cops would pick her up and at least for one night she would out of the rain.

"Um yeah.. Im.." Lara rubbed her forehead with a bit more fever. Deep down her heart and mind were screaming for her not go. Something was telling her to run forever and another part of her was telling her to stay.

""What you like have all the answers, you that never tells the truth you that got me lost in the park and now lost in this nightmare, you dont even know where you live, who the president is and what your own last name is, your worthless.. utterly worthless""

Lara stopped her foot and the random bickering in her mind stopped. Taking a deep breath she looked at Alex. He was so lost and hurt. A part of her started to

deflate. He needed her. Without warning Lara rushed over to Alex and she held him tight. "Im sorry.. I really am, oh please be okay.. please tell me I havent broken you too.." she clung to him and prayed that she wasnt the one that hurt him.

'See, you've chased her away, better take your last look'

“No, it can't end this way.”

'You should have thought of that while there was still a chance for it to end differently'

“Please............”

He stood, trying to shut the voice away, it didn't belong. It wasn't his.

“Lara...” his voice was unsteady, his pose was withdrawn.

“I just want you to know, you became very precious to me, I wasn't expecting to make it through that, but I needed to make sure you did.” he turned his eyes seeking hers, mose than anything he wanted her to stay.

'Go on, tell her so she can reject you and get on with her life.'

“I...... I.........” he took a step forward, “Don't go.....”

'Way to go now you're a creep'

“I think.....”

'You can't do it, you're weak'

“I can't....” the last sentence was whispered, he lowered his head, defeated. Maybe it was better if she left.

Lara held him and didnt let him go as he seemed to come undone. "Shh, it will be okay.. Im here okay, they wont get to you as long as you are with me okay, they dont want me anymore.. and once I remember things.. we.. we will be okay." Lara was grasping as straws as she tried to help him over to the bed. "Rest just rest okay.. reload and umm reboot okay.. just shh.. unplug and then you will be okay"

Lara wasnt even sure what she was saying as her mind just rattled out whatever it wanted. Rubbing her eyes she blinked over and over as they burned more and more. As soon as Alex reached the bed she let him go and ran over to the bathroom. She splashed water on her eyes as they stung like crazy. So much so that she whimpered and moaned. She dug around in the cabinets for drops but found none.. Whimpering she went back to the water splashing water into her eyes.. Why was this happening why? Nothing felt normal as she blinked and looked into the mirror. In a sudden flash of light she screamed and from her eyes a blast of light shot out and burned into the mirror. Screaming from the pain she fell back and held her hands over her eyes not sure what just happened. Unknow to her, that in an instant a code for the key was burned into the mirror. The same images, codes and symbols she had been writting for no reason at all now made sense. Laying on the bathroom floor Lara whimpered in shock.

As Alex sunk into the bed he suddenly felt tired, but there was an itch in his brain, it worked its way into his contiousness and he couldn't get it out.

'You hear that, crazy, and now you're stuck with her.'

“Get out on my head.” he said angrily.

'She just going to get crazier and crazier, until you end it'

Visions of Lara lying dead, covered with blood flashed through his mind.

“NOOO!.” he half shouted.

'Its the only way for you to get free.'

“Nooo.... please, shut up, just...” tears began to well up in the corners of his eyes.”

'Its not over, and you shouldn't protect her'

“Can't you just leave me alone?”

'Rest now, there is nothing you can do now.

He fought the sleep he could feel coming, but it was like a drug, the more he fought it the stronger it became. He thought he heard Lara cry out and tried to call to her, but all that came was a low moan.

The voice echoed through his head as he slept dreamlessly.

'Its not over, free yourself from her'

Hours passed by and Lara finally felt like she could move. Her eyes still hurt her like crazy. She had to find sunglasses or something to help ease the pain. Any kind of light hurt her eyes so she went around the room lowering if not turing off all the lights. Thankfully there werent a lot of lights. Lara found apair of sunglasses and put them on. It was some relief.

Lara could see Alex sleeping and smiled. Walking over to him she covered him up with a blanket and touched his face. Moving his bangs just a little. Her heart ached knowing that everything was so insane. She felt like it was all her fault, but also like she had no control.

Looking down at him she leaned in and kissed his lips softly. A rush came over her and she had to stop. He was sleeping. What the hell was wrong with her? She blushed and tucked her hair behind her head as she stepped back. Breathing a little faster she moved away from him and went to the sofa. Hoping to stop her restless heart she turned on the tv and put it on low. A few commericals later Lara was nearly asleep herself but her aching stomach growled. She got up and ate some dry cereal. As she nibbled on it she watched the early edition news. She was only half paying attention until she heard her name and saw her photograph. Lara was wanted in connection to doctor Scotts murder and for being a threat to Homeland security! The box of Chex dropped from her hand as she listened to the news. Lara looked from the TV and then to her Ducky. He was so screwed if he got dragged into the mess. Lara tried to think but fear grabbed her. Leaving the TV, and the box of cereal Lara scribbled a note and at last found her shoes. She tugged them and left the apartment. Flipping up her hood she hit the landing of the lobby and bolted for the door. Once she was out on the street Lara looked around. No cops yet, but she knew it wouldnt be long. She took off toward the Park praying she would find answers their.

'You can wake up now, you're alone and you always will be'

Alex opened his eyes, slowly. He felt strangely that something wonderful had happened but he had missed it. “Lara!” he called out sitting up and looking around. Noone. “LARA!!”

'Your love has left you, and you didn't say goodbye'

He stood up, the TV was on, early morning repeats filling the room with light. A science fiction show was on but he ignored it rushing instead to the bathroom, “Nooooo....” he said seeing the strange symbols burned into the mirror.”

'Its not over, but you can walk away'

“Quiet!” he hit his head against the door frame in an effort to silence the voice.

'Oh well done! Now your head hurts. Bravo!

“They took her, they took her. They where meant to take me. BASTARDS!”

'Today is your lucky day'

“WAAAAAAAHHH!”

He ran for the door throwing it open and ran down the corridor. “The park, have to get to them, can't let them keep her. Lara..... LARA.”

He fed on his desperation as he ran, letting it drown out the horrible voice, how he hated it.

He ran down the stairs and out into the early morning he turned and headed down the street inside struggling against his own mental blocks, the tune, he needed the tune. It was a long way to run, a taxi would require waiting, and money. So he ran, sweat poring from his body, a thin lime of blood welling where his head had hit the doorframe. He couldn't lose her again.

Lara had been looking since she arrived for that same sound she had heard before but there was only silence. Exhausted and lonely Lara gave up and sat down on the swings. It was to early for kids to be there so it was nice and quite. A random breeze trickled up her spine making her tug her coat tight around her. She felt bad to have left her Ducky but if he was found with her, he might be killed.

Lost in thought Lara failed to notice movment to her left and then to her right. Her fingers interlaced in the chains of the swing she felt like she was six all over again. A sudden grab of her arm jolted her from her daydream.

"Are you Lara? " a man dressed in all black asked her as a second and third popped from nowhere. "Im Wheeler, we have our orders to bring you back to headquarts. Come with me please" The man didnt let go of her shoulder or arm as he helped her stand. A series of SUV's pulled up along the edge of the park. "Come on Lara we know about the music and other events." The two other men got closer to her and one took her other arm. "Come on, we wont hurt you.. like the cops will. Lets go before they find you"

Lara wanted to run, she wanted to scream she wanted to hide and kick and fight them but she found herself going with them. It was impossible to explain but something about their scent was a comfort. The men helped her into the SUV in the middle and started away. Once inside Lara noticed that everything inside was not a normal SUV. The seats slipped back and away as small computer displays popped up and Alex was on was one of the screens. Lara let out a small whimper as the driver speed up. "Wait.. please dont leave him behind, he needs me please..stop stop... STOP!!" she screamed as the man near her grabbed her and stuck her with a small black veil. "Stop the car.. he might prove useful after all" the lead man said as the driver slowed down and opened the door blocking Alex from running any further. The door cut him off midstride and he was pulled into the SUV. "Go" Wheeler said and they were off. Lara had been druged and was laying on her side, as a man watched her and covered her with a blanket. Looking Alex up and down he sighed. "So did you whack the snitch or was it them."

As Alex ran he couldn't think of anything except finding Lara, bur there was still the itch. It was like something was picking at his mind. A failed to notice when a door flew open in front of him until it was almost too late.

He hit the door while still trying to stop and fell backwards. Then strong hands grabbed him and pulled him into the black SUV.

“Lara!” he exclaimed trying to reach her but the men in suits held him back.

'See this is what running after crazy people get you'

“Whack the what?”

'Tell them she killed the doctor, get yourself out of this'

“Hey take a look at this, looks like the doctor got to this one too.” the voice had come from one of the other agents and he had a screen that had just been updated with the police report from Alex's recent stay is jail, and that he had been released to Dr. Scot's custody.

'You could have stayed in you crappy apartment. But you didn't, now look.

He buried his face in his hands trying to drown it out, he pulled on his hair, nothing helped.

'You like getting into trouble, it validates your pathetic life.'

“Why are you doing this?” he wasn't talking to the agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.