1. Intermediate
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Modern, Romance, Action, Dark
Since the U.S. Supreme Court is currently debating about whether or not to keep AA for college admissions, what is everyone's thoughts on it? Personally I don't really care for AA and honestly this whole thing could be resolved by just not having race and gender be on applications. Not just for college but for jobs too. What exactly about those two things is so important anyways?

simpsons-fire.gif

Affirmative Action is nothing except legalized discrimination.
It has no place being in college to begin with it, I'd be thrilled to see it gone.

Reactions: Windsong
It, uh, actually did have a point and purpose, as much as I like to be in the crowd that goes "grr screw gender quotas" yada yada et cetera et cetera. Right after discriminatory practices were finally torn down with equality legislation (ex: various 1964 civil rights acts), the judicial system needed a way to actually force that change in ways that individuals couldn't fuck over with racial or sexual biases. It was a way to quicken the change that legislation was bringing about so it wouldn't take over a century to employ peaceably: To break down the racial barriers that once separated black from white, back when racist beliefs were systemic and blatant across the country.

Nowadays? It's an antiquated law. It could be better serviced by simply not including one's race & gender on application forms, so as to blind trial people through it. (Albeit names often give that away anyway. If your name is "Yuki Horotori", it's not hard to guess that you're an asian woman of likely Japanese descent.)

Still, to pretend there isn't some level of racism in the US still present is stupid. So I think this should be more of a case by case basis. Measured, reworked and retooled to fit whatever the modern race issue is, and punted back out for another few years. It's clear from the black incarceration rate that there's still a pretty big issue going on, and it wouldn't hurt to stabilize that gaping wound with a couple provisions, whilst more long term (and ultimately preferable solutions are pursued. Like the end of drug charges being considered federal offenses, the elimination of the privatized prison system which often bribes judges to give higher sentences to otherwise non-dangerous people, and a direct answer to the gang culture that rips through black teens and young adults like fire through the Australian outback.

tl;dr: This is not a black and white issue (pardon the play on words), and I actually see the point of this judicial tool to try and equalize a playing field that couldn't be otherwise equalized through normal market forces. It's antiquated, and needs provisions and updates, but it's not entirely irrelevant yet given the state of affairs in the United States.

It's bullshit. If you can't do the job you shouldn't get it because you're darker than the next best person.

End of story.

It, uh, actually did have a point and purpose, as much as I like to be in the crowd that goes "grr screw gender quotas" yada yada et cetera et cetera. Right after discriminatory practices were finally torn down with equality legislation (ex: various 1964 civil rights acts), the judicial system needed a way to actually force that change in ways that individuals couldn't fuck over with racial or sexual biases. It was a way to quicken the change that legislation was bringing about so it wouldn't take over a century to employ peaceably: To break down the racial barriers that once separated black from white, back when racist beliefs were systemic and blatant across the country.

Nowadays? It's an antiquated law. It could be better serviced by simply not including one's race & gender on application forms, so as to blind trial people through it. (Albeit names often give that away anyway. If your name is "Yuki Horotori", it's not hard to guess that you're an asian woman of likely Japanese descent.)

Still, to pretend there isn't some level of racism in the US still present is stupid. So I think this should be more of a case by case basis. Measured, reworked and retooled to fit whatever the modern race issue is, and punted back out for another few years. It's clear from the black incarceration rate that there's still a pretty big issue going on, and it wouldn't hurt to stabilize that gaping wound with a couple provisions, whilst more long term (and ultimately preferable solutions are pursued. Like the end of drug charges being considered federal offenses, the elimination of the privatized prison system which often bribes judges to give higher sentences to otherwise non-dangerous people, and a direct answer to the gang culture that rips through black teens and young adults like fire through the Australian outback.

tl;dr: This is not a black and white issue (pardon the play on words), and I actually see the point of this judicial tool to try and equalize a playing field that couldn't be otherwise equalized through normal market forces. It's antiquated, and needs provisions and updates, but it's not entirely irrelevant yet given the state of affairs in the United States.
tumblr_n3yzs0MIIa1tq4of6o1_500.gif

And this is why you're awesome! Brovo for President 2016!

Status
Not open for further replies.