Adventures of the Starship Durandal: OOC

We still do. The Mossberg M-500. Pointman weapon for VBSS and also used by Entry Control Point Sentries.

Gotcha, now whats the tech level? This seems pretty soft science so thankfully I won't have to justify my equipment too much with physics. What are the mech/fighters basic design? Is it closer to the realistic western mecha or japanese fantasy science mecha?

More anime styled, really. It doesn't go for the "most hard" end of the charts, but is pretty well stuck in the Real Robot side. Unless Slyen has changed stuff since we last talked (Or I forgot something), There are two main lines of mecha descent-one for robotech-type variable fighters, which are new to the battlefield, and one for more traditional gundam models.

That's just the space combat stuff, though, and if you want I can get you more of the long nerdy detail we went into.

Nerdy detail is good, gives me more stuff to work with.

There are two main lines of mecha descent-one for robotech-type variable fighters, which are new to the battlefield, and one for more traditional gundam models.

That's just the space combat stuff, though, and if you want I can get you more of the long nerdy detail we went into.

I was under the opinion that we had agreed the transforming mecha were the replacement for both the starfighter and mecha that were already in use with the mecha being exclusivly ground based.

I'd rather move this though to the Techincal thread and keep this for other elements of the setting though.

Okies. Well if you don't hear from Sakura let me know. I don't wanna take it away from her.

http://space-kitten.org/iwaku/showthread.php?t=2522

Slyen, if we've got some tech to add are we allowed to put it there?

Yes, though I'd prefer getting a heads up about it. I want some sort of discussion before anything final is implemented in game.

Okies. Well if you don't hear from Sakura let me know. I don't wanna take it away from her.

Will do, would you still be interested in playing if you could not be the ship's computer?

I dunno. Hm. It's just I played a whole lot of star trek rps back in the day (I know, this isn't star trek, but it's that kind of structured explorer feel), everything from councilor to security, I always show up too late to play the effing computer.

But I got a lotta love for this style of rp, :) I'll see if I can't scrape something else together. Anything you're looking for ya don't have yet?

With such high tech I would guess things like gene tweaking and bioware enhancements would be par for the course. Yay or nay?

Did someone call Weapons/Tactical Officer? How about Astro-Navigation?

GENERAL CHARACTER STATISTICS
Character Name: Gunner's Mate 1ST Class Darius 'Gun Monkey' McKnight
Species: Human (American)
Birthplace/World: New Dallas, TX, LB-119, Solarian Coalition colony world
More: N/A

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS
General Appearance:
OldSchoolSolidSnake.jpg

McKnight has a scar on his face from where he was kicked by a roan when he was young.
Strengths:
-Blue Collar Work Ethic: McKnight comes from a hard working family. From working the family stables to working in the Universe's finest Navy, the SCSN, McKnight is a hard worker and can be relied upon to complete any given task.
-Gunney: Being a Gunner's Mate means McKnight gets to use and shoot all manner of small arms.
Weaknesses:
-Alcoholic: McKnight firmly believes sailors are supposed to drink. As such he often squanders his pay on drink. When he can't get alcohol he makes it, usually by building a still in spaces only he has the keys to, such as missile magazines and gun mounts.
-Instigator: For one reason or other McKnight has a nasty habit of picking fights with the worst of hostiles. From guys twice his size to tank killing battle androids and even dinosaur type monsters, McKnight will piss them off so he can fight them.
More: N/A

MENTAL CHARACTERISTICS
Current Goal/Purpose: As of now McKnight's main goal is to make Chief Petty Officer. Being sent TAD to the Durandal may just be the ticket he needs to get that gold fouled anchor with a silver, superimposed SCSN on it.
Talents:
Mcknight is a can-do person. If there's something he can't do then he'll learn how to do it. Often through trial and error...
Inabilities:
McKnight can't sit still for one minute. He has to have something to do, otherwise he'll be liable to A) get drunk, B) build a still, or C) piss the wrong people off.
Fears:
McKnight has a fear of clowns. And mimes. And mime clowns... They freak him the fuck out...
General Personality:
Easy going and down to earth, McKnight is also a wealth of useless information. He's a movie buff, particularly of 20TH century movies.
Inner Personality:
Sometimes wandering, other times focused. It all depends on the task at hand.
Secret:
Was part of a ZZ Top tribute band before enlisting in the Navy.
More: Has a 1980 Chevrolet C-10, mint condition, back home.
HISTORIC BACKGROUND
General History:
Raised the son of a retired Master Chief Darius was given two options when he started high school: go into the family business as a horse trainer or enlist in the Solarian Coalition Navy. The day of graduation he enlisted.
Present Life:
McKnight has been a career sailor since he was 19. He clawed his way up the enlisted ranks, making E-6 in five years. He's spent the time since trying to make Chief Petty Officer, only to be denied for one reason or other. His quest has been placed on hold as the destroyer SCSS McFaul has seen fit to send him TAD to the Durandal as Leading Petty Officer for their Weapons Division.
Special Historic Notes: N/A

CHARSHEET Completed.

Just to show I’m still interested.

Ah Work in PROGRESS! Thus subject to extreme change. DONE!

[GENERAL CHARACTER STATISTICS

Character Name: Christopher C. Cronin
Species: Human
Birthplace/World: Phemodrin Core Superplatform #47, Durius II
Occupation/School/Grade: Technician/Engineer (Unsure if there would be a distinction here… )
More:

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS

General Appearance:
Captain_of_the_Isis_by_ChicoChan-Co.jpg
Strengths:
- Reflexes: Above average
- Sharp eyes: Has an eye for detail and can notice the little things that seem out of place.
Weaknesses:
- Cigarettes: gotta’ have that nicotine (is trying to kick the habit for the 15th time).
- Unarmed Combat: Would get his rear handed to him by a trained opponent.
- Armed Combat: Mediocre to average.
More:

MENTAL CHARACTERISTICS

Current Goal/Purpose:
Talents:
- Natural talent: Machines and Technology
- Fast learner: When it comes to something technological he can pick up quickly on how it works, how to control it, and with a little trial and error how to fix it or make it better.
Inabilities:
- Computer Programming: This is still a somewhat “alien” science to him.
-
Fears:
- Spaced: Sucked into the vacuum of space.
- Claustrophobia: Not major, but still an issue at times.
General Personality:
To sum him up in two words, “eccentric oddity” comes to mind. Chris used quick wits and even a quicker tongue to survive some of his encounters with fellow academy students who took offense to his seemingly easy to come by talent and “offworlder” habits. If prodded the wrong way he can either lash out with his acerbic humor or put on a knowing smirk. Chris can seem unfocused and have a hard time keeping his mind on the task at hand.
Inner Personality:
An almost childlike fascination for multiple things, he’ll willingly forgo socialization or sleep to read about or tinker with something. He also enjoys the occasional practical joke against friends or rivals. Chris isn’t one to be easily impressed by shows of power or rank.
Secret:
- Middle Initial stands for Cecil
More:
- Has a fascination for piloting, has never actually done it outside of commercial simulators.
- Also has a fascination about other races and the cultures of other human colonies.

HISTORIC BACKGROUND

General History:
Christopher is the son of a planetary survey pilot and a geologist. After their death in the Platform 47 disaster, he was sent to the Coultas Academy on Mars for education. Showing high potential with technology he was eventually sent to one of the more prestigious academies on Earth for further education.
Present Life:
After graduation he was railroaded into having to choose between several undesirable (least in his opinion) choices. Thus he chose the assignment of the Durandal finding it to be the best option.
Special Historic Notes:
- Survived the collapse and biodome failure of Platform 47 on Durius II.
- One of the chosen crew for the Durandal.

Did someone call Weapons/Tactical Officer? How about Astro-Navigation?

Well I thought you had asked to take Tactical Officer. Navigation however is still open.

So far this is who I have playing what... If I have missed you and you have not posted in this thread yet, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! The list is a bit... dated, think I lost my newer one when my PC did an update in the middle of the night as it likes to prompt me to restart while I sleep and I have a bad habit of not saving things right away... >_>;

Alarice - Captain
Big Red - Pilot
Diana - (if she is still not to busy to play) Secretary
Loveless - Engineer
Neko Archy - Engineer, Gaian
October Knight - Gunner
Ricarten - Pilot
Sakura - Ship's Computer
Slyen - Executive Officer
Zypher - Ship Security Officer

I also had the following as playing or undecided but no role was requested:

GMK
Magentra
Megs/Faramond
Miru
Reiz
Vay

and I was pretty sure I also had Viral Fiend interested... but he is not on, rather dated, list.

For other updates....

Felinoid were touched on again, and I believe we have reached an agreement. Without Zypher it has come to three in favor and pretty sure he would not care... to much. As such we need to work out the details with them.

Despite a technical mishap (partly on all of us working on the project) we were able to recover the name Humanity's government goes by in this future. The Solarian Coalition, founded with the signing of the Sol Compact. It was later when the Felinoid's and Gaian's were added after alliances had been formed, granting the same privileges as Humans. Short, sweet, and doing the job.

Also if no one noticed, the tech page got updated with all of the Human fighters...

Ricarten here. Sorry for the late entry - Sly forgot to verify that I had, in fact, received word that the OOC was up.

That said, I'm open to questions, conversations, and the occasional bribe regarding the setting.

In case anyone isn't aware, my in-game self will be a Phoenix pilot forced to 'upgrade.' I won't be coming into play proper until at least mid-december, due to some...difficulties...but rest assured, I'll be there.

Character Name: 紺野 光井 Asami Mitsui
Species/Race: Human
Birthplace/World: Tokyo Island District, Japanese Colony Nijyuichi, Solarian Coalition
Occupation/School/Grade: Security Officer, First Class
More: Asami was hand picked from the officer training by General Toshiya, one of the lead minds behind the Durandal operation.

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS

General Appearance:
airi.jpg
Strengths: Asami is very skilled in various forms of martial arts, Aiki Ju Jitsu, Tae Kwon Do, Traditional Karate, even some Krav Maga and Boxing. Asami is also very skilled in weilding pistols, laser or regular and has no qualms about firing them should she feel the need. She is much stronger then she appears which she uses to her advantage to lure enemies into a false sense of comfort.
Weaknesses: Being so rough and tumble she forgot to study larger guns and has difficulty firing them or maintaining them. Being as small as she is she is also easily pushed around physically, if she isn't looking to fight. Being small she can fit into tight, cramped spaces but has severe clausterphobia so she tends to avoid that as much as possible.
More: Her clausterphobia is what restricted her from becoming a mech pilot.

MENTAL CHARACTERISTICS

Current Goal/Purpose: To keep the officers and other members of the Durandal crew safe.
Talents: She is well studied on her various forms of martial arts and pistols, and is very skilled in using them both. She is eager to learn about different aspect of the ship with a childlike demeanor but takes her job very seriously, almost being gruff in her actions.
Inabilities: Asami has difficulty speaking English, it comes out in broken sentences and with a thick accent. She tends to get confused easily when given more complex orders in English and sometimes won't even comprehend the most basic ones. Her clausterphobia is almost crippling in nature and she has troubles when she has to go through tight enclosed spaces.
Fears: Severe clausterphobia
General Personality: Asami is a very stern girl but still retains a childlike desire to learn. She will constantly bug people with questions, wishing to learn more about the ship and the situation. With her poor English skills she is constantly striving to get better and will seek out excuses to speak amongst the crew. She doesn't take crap from people and can be quick to anger or frustrate, especially when she can't get her message across in English.
Inner Personality: Asami is a very sweet girl that will go out of her way to protect others. She is very studious and takes learning seriously. She believes in diplomacy over fighting but ironically she's better at war. She can hold grudges for long times and usually takes retribution when she can usually in the form of a prank. If she is in a combat situation she becomes completely focused on her task at hand and only snaps out of it until she is sure the threat is gone.
Secret: Her room aboard the Durandal has many cute things in it betraying her stern exterior, of course she keeps her room off limits too all other personnel on the ship.
More:

HISTORIC BACKGROUND

General History: Asami was born into a military family in the Tokyo Island complex of the Japanese Colony Nijyuichi. Her father was a commanding officer and her mother was a field medic, so becoming part of the military always seemed natural to her. She quickly excelled as a fighter, picking up martial arts naturally, starting with a form of Aiki Ju Jitsu originating from her quarter in the Tokyo Island District and quickly moved to other styles. She was hand picked by General Toshiya and even served as his personal guard for three months until she was sent to the Durandal on the good word of the General.

Present Life: Transition has been difficult for Asami, the language barrier hasn't helped her either, she has set up all of her things on the Durandal and has continued training under the Solarian Military. As the launch date draws closer and closer she can feel the excitement of being part of such an important mission.

Theme Song:

Character Name: Roland "Filth Hound" Macer
Species/Race: Human
Birthplace/World: Colony World Albion, Britain
Occupation/School/Grade: Navy Marine
More: Sometimes called "Broland" by his friends.

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS

General Appearance: Seven feet tall, physically imposing yet lean like some hunting animal, and with short "well trimmed lawn"-style hair. His face seems rough-hewn and eyes, sullen, yet overall on the boundary between youth and middle-age. His facial expression has been described as half 1000 yard stare, half predatory creature.

Strengths: Merciless combatant, with a horrifically effective close combat fighting style and an destructive sense of expertise with a variety of weaponry. Reacts freakishly fast and has a sense of focus that is almost zen-like in how concentrated he can be on ending the lives of others. Has implants that make him almost a cyborg.

Weaknesses: Little experience driving, not a very good sniper, cybernetic implants also can be used against him.

More: It's said in one encounter with a few aliens, he had essentially torn one's chest open, removed two of its ribs, and then proceeded to stab the creature to death with them, but not before literally tearing the faces of the other in half and crushing their throats with his fists and elbows. They were all two feet taller than him and had noticeably more muscle mass.

MENTAL CHARACTERISTICS

Current Goal/Purpose: To protect the crewmembers and end the lives of whatever's unfortunate to stand in their way.

Talents: Fearless, focused, good understanding of aliens, morale-raising leader, handy with weaponry, multi-lingual, and can keep the crew together with his natural people-person skills.

Inabilities: Incredibly intimidating person, can be very mouthy, inconsistent personality, bears grudges for a long time, and comes off as elitist and scornful.

Fears: The mission getting fucked.

General Personality: Jumps between seemingly prowling around like some stalking beast, staying quiet and simply watching from a distance, to suddenly being very loud and talkative, becoming surprisingly friendly yet very rough and playfully boisterous.

Inner Personality: Thinks perhaps a bit too much about everything, lending a sort of morbid and brooding side to himself.

Secret: Was part of a racist and highly xenophobic organization before, and some of his killings are far from justified; has taken the lives of civilians in certain actions that some may classify as terrorism.

More: Does not mind talking about his past, and simply sees it as a lot of youthful foolishness he's glad to have left behind.

HISTORIC BACKGROUND

General History: This colony born warhound was originally a somewhat naive and still is a very adventurous soul. Craving to experience life savagely, he went off on a variety of planetary expeditions and misadventures, often getting out by the skin of his teeth. In more than a few of these, he had rather... unpleasant... encounters with alien races, and this eventually pushed him into the equivalent of a neo-Nazi like racist/xenophobic organization. He did some rather questionable things to "racet traitors" and non-human beings, but as time passed, he grew to resent himself and the organization, eventually bringing it down single-handedly. Sent off to a military prison after it was discovered he was responsible for a variety of bombings and murderings, he gladly took up the chance to compensate for it through military service and made a name for himself as a destructive and morbid, if repentant and unstoppable force of human possibility.

Present Life: Selected for the Durandal due to his impressive track record and his expertise at keeping others alive in seemingly hopeless combat situations. Well not really "selected", he just heard about it, showed his past achievements, and the higher ups practically went "well, you might as well hop on." He agreed.

Special Historic Notes: He was one of the core characters responsible for the first major defeats of an established and hostile alien force a few years ago, in a rather controversial mission, taking place four years after he joined the military.

Ohai

I'd like to join the Legac-

err

Durandal.

Gotta think of some dynamic role or somesuch to nab seeing as most main positions have been snapped up. Maybe a scientist or somesuch...hmm. *Thinks* Catch me on msn sometime Slyen and we shall palaver.