Across the Wasteland

Xavier looked away for a second. "I felt...guilty, I guess. I wasn't being very reasonable, and then when I saw how bad the storm was gonna be, I decided that I could make it better by going out there and getting you. I...I didn't want 'killing a kid' to be on my list of things I'm guilty for. Know what I mean?"

Forcing a smile, he shrugged slightly, not really sure why he had risked his own life for the kid's, but hoping his explanation worked.

He looked away, grimacing unpleased " ... Like any other adult..." he mumbled lowly, before closing his eyelids and falling asleep. Something among what Xavier said killed what he was actually feeling at the moment, 'I didn't want 'killing a kid' to be on my list of things I'm guilty for", he growled even asleep.

Sighing, Xavier cursed himself an idiot. He had meant the last part as a sort of half-joke, not to be taken seriously, but it was obvious that it bothered the kid. Frowning, he checked his temperature once more before lying down next to him, knowing that their combined body heat would keep them warm.

Half-closing his eyes, he sighed again, feeling bitter tears stinging his eyes. It seemed, that while he had the body of a man of twenty-seven, his mind had been preserved by the snow, and he was still a boy of seventeen. And then, more than ever, it was showing. 'Can't even make a proper fire,' he thought to himself, angrily wiping the tears away even as they froze on his cheeks.

((WEEKEDNDS FODDD DO THISNG ASHDHJ
Also you can introduce new oc here if you wish to))

For a moment the wolf had been staring at him, but then it stoop up and lied down besides Xavier, his back on the man's chest and it turned his head to lick his face for a moment, before lying back down and falling asleep, probably it had sensed what Xavier had said, even if he wasn't showing anything to anyone, the beast understood, it had a memory of its own and it remembered what was it like back then when his 'brother' would silently cry himself to sleep in the cold, or when he'd work hard even if he was crying and desperate, always seeking what was best for both of them, having harmed him only once, and for a good reason, it could feel, and understand, but not speak up.

The night passed quickly once more, and in that morning, a particular thing happened, the boy stood up and crouched in front of Xavier and his wolf to watch them sleep together, he half closed his eyes and walked outside, staying outside to do his business and then begin to fix some of his tools, making some traps for the wolfs and such, but always keeping his eyes on the roads as he strolled around the place, close to the igloo just in case he had to run back, his fever was gone and he also felt no pain so it was a perfect time for scattering tools.

Xavier cried himself to sleep, nearly two hours passing before he did. Every time he would seem to get his crying under control, he would think of some other shortcoming he had or another time he had failed or done wrong, and fresh tears would spill over his cheeks. When he finally fell asleep, the wolf next to him, his eyes were red and puffy and he looked dreadful.

When he awoke, the kid was gone. Eyes flying wide, he scrambled outbid his home, breathing a sigh of relief when the kid was within eyesight. Going g towards him, he called, "You should be lying down. Is your fever completely gone?" Feeling like his mother whenever he would get sick as a child, he tried to put on an expression of equal parts concern, anger, and caring, like the sort his mother would get. "If you're still sick, you should be lying down."

In the distance, from the southwest, he saw a figure approaching, definitely hefting something. Fear hitting his veins as he recognized the direction, he said to the kid, "Get inside now, and don't let that guy see you or the wolf."

The boy instantly turned to him and walked up to the man, nodding at him after he asked about his fever being gone, however he also did notice the second person, but he ignored Xavier and took his bow, calling his wolf so they wouldn't be ambushed or anything, he stared, and waited.

"Get. Inside. Now," Xavier said, his voice low. "I can handle this guy by myself. This guy'll have no problem hurting and raping you. Got that? Now get inside." Frowning, he slipped his hand into his pocket, feeling his knife. Pulling it out slowly, he hid it in his jacket sleeve, prepared to use it if the man got too close.

"That's close enough," he called over when the man was still fifteen feet away. Glancing back, he prayed the kid had listened to him and was now inside and safe.

The wolf growled, standing besides the boy who hadn't heed his warning and was only waiting, arrow and bow in hand, in a perfect position to strike a head shot at any moment whatsoever, glaring and quiet as a tomb, breathing softly and deeply, to hold his aim perfectly without a flaw.

Glaring at the kid, he returned his gaze to the man. A frown on his face, he asked, "What'd you come here for? Swear to God if you try to touch the kid, I'll make you wish you were dead."

The man played innocent, raising his hands to shoulder level. "I just saw you two going to Jacoby's yesterday, figured you cleared his place out. I just need to know if you have any aspirin or ibuprofen for my boy."

"We don't have any," Xavier answered immediately. "Now you can just head hone to 'your boy' and get the hell away from us." Mistrust filled his eyes as he clenched his hands.

It was no secret what the man offered, warmth, food, and shelter, but for many his price was too high. Only the desperate went to him, and...even Xavier, once, when he was still a teenager and desperate for any sort of help, regardless of cost.

After the first night, he left and never returned. The man backed off slowly, and Xavier tried to tell himself that he wasn't mentally undressing the kid as he left. Heart pounding in his chest when he felt he was safe again, Xavier said, "It's fine now...just...get back inside." Turning, he went back to his home, feeling shaken and scared.

The boy only put down the bow and shrugged, a boy? Who was sick? He couldn't believe the kind of lie a man could come up with in 0.9 seconds just to rob others, however he believed what Xavier had told him, he just wasn't expecting such shameless hypocrisy from such a man, still something on the back of his head nagged him... curiosity maybe, but he whispered at his beast and it just sped off before he began to look around the snow again, now much, much closer to the refuge.

"... What... was your name again?" he suddenly asked the older man, looking straight at him.

Xavier frowned at the kid for a moment. Couldn't he remember? Biting the inside of his cheek for a second, he said, "Xavier Kingsley...why? Are you-are you forgetting stuff?" Folding his arms over his chest, he tilted his head slightly, worried.

Sitting down on the edge of the sleeping bag, he looked up briefly to ask, "You feeling any better? Still feverish?" Forcing a grin, he tried to be reassuring, though he was still a bit paler than usual.

He blinked, "I'm Emmet" he replied only, looking away and still scattering among the snow, his eyes didn't cross the man until a little later "I'm fine, but you're sick. I'm going to have to find medicine for you, or that thing could kill you." he said in a soft but strong voice.

"Wha-what thing? The headaches? No, it's nothing, seriously. I'm probably not eating well enough or...something simple like that. Besides, we can eat the peaches tonight, and that should boost my blood sugar..." Mouth already watering at the thought of the peaches, each one coated in thick, sugary syrup, Xavier forced himself to focus.

"Besides, you don't need to take care of me...I'm fine, honest. Look...Emmet," he said, the name foreign and strange on his lips, "I can take care of myself, and I can tell you, I'm fine." Though his words were brave, Xavier knew that they sounded hollow, that he was terrified that something might be really wrong with him.

Doubling over in pain as another fierce headache tore through him, he took several deep breaths, counting to ten as he massaged his temples, a couple cold fingers of fear running through him.

By the time he knew it anyway, Emmet was a few centimeters away from him, crouching and touching his hands, while they were still on his temples, his eyes barely visible under his thick black hair, sky blue. "Don't die." he whispered.

Glancing up when he felt cold hands over his own gloved ones, Xavier replied, attempting to be strong and reassuring, got out, "I'm fine. I'll be fine. Just...a couple headaches can't kill me. So you don't have to worry." Squeezing his eyes shut as another wave of pain coursed through him, he blinked the tears away before saying, "Don't worry."

As the pounding headache receded into a dull, throbbing one, Xavier groaned before forcing himself to get to his feet. Taking Emmet's hands in his own, he got the kid to his feet, though he himself was feeling shaky.

"We better take watches tonight, in case that bastard comes back..."

((NOW KISS))

He stared into him, laying his head down on his chest "You're the first kind human I know" he mumbled and gripped a little strongly on his hands, feeling him not letting go "Humans are mean and empty" he continued "They all want bad things... not you. Those aren't normal headaches... You're sicker than I am" he mumbled, now looking at him again.

His pose was vulnerable now, his barriers broken, he trusted this man.

As the kid leaned into him, Xavier took in a breath before looking down at him. It was odd, seeing him so vulnerable. And strangely endearing. As Emmet looked up at him, he forced a smile before placing a gentle kiss on his forehead. "Don't worry," he repeated, bringing a hand up to softly run through Emmet's hair.

Pulling the kid closer, he wrapped his arms around him, trying to be a comforting force. Pulling away slightly, he had Emmet look into his eyes before he leaned forwards, tilting his head and licking his lips as he decided what to do.

((ASHFDLEJKSVFRMGVMRVFBMDCBDCKJEWU498459UR234R523KRJB //dEAD())

At first he jolted, he didn't like the closeness, he wasn't used to it, specially because to him, being embraced meant only one thing, a very wicked one. However he didn't expect his words, or the kiss to his forehead, let alone what he knew was just about to happen, he blushed uncontrollably, he could feel something close to embarrassment inside him, unlike the usual revolt in his stomach and the nausea, his eyes squinting and he trembling, unsure of just what to do. " ........... " he breathed nervously, parting his pale small lips, his breath as cold as the air outside.

When it became apparent that Emmet wasn't going to push him away just yet, Xavier pressed forward, his lips meeting Emmet's with a soft amount of force. Pulling away a couple seconds later, he said, "Just in case I don't make it through the night. Pulling away fully, he ruffled the kid's hair again before saying, "Now let's eat some of those peaches."

Moving to where he had set the cans, Xavier took out his knife, piercing the lid of one of the cans. Opening the rest of it, he smiled at of the slices of peach inside. "You can eat first," he said to Emmet, handing him the can.

He breathed, almost hyperventilating, he didn't know what the man had exactly just done, he only knew he liked it, he crouched when he moved away, still touching his lips, but his fingers didn't feel just the right way, not the way Xavier had just made him feel, and when he was being offered the peaches, he only moved in closer, just close enough to Xavier to also be keeping his distance. "..... " he took one, his fingers getting soaked in the yellow-ish liquid, and eating one, the syrup remained on his lips then, but when he was about to lick it off, he turned to Xavier, probably having forgotten it. "...What was... that?"