Across The Seven Seas (Avalon & shakenSilences)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"You're insufferable when you're drunk," James breathed, leaning back in his chair once Coreliss removed her hand from his face. His nose twitched as he tried to get his mind off the sweet smell of alcohol radiating from his fellow Captain. She really was insufferable while drunk and James wondered why he even cared what happened to her at all. She was only ever a nuisance, even when she was small, and he doubted that she'd ever grow to be anything more than that.

"We've been overdue for some 'friendly' competition, Bones," As he spoke, James pushed himself to his feet and started to walk around the desk. "I say the book is ripe for the taking and it belongs to the first soul to lay hands on it. And if I get there first.....well, I promise I won't brag too much." The Captain was at the door now and his hand rested on the handle.

"You'd best be going now. Don't need any rumors to flare up." James held open the door and motioned exaggeratedly. "It's always nice chatting with you, Captain Bones, but if you please," James was still holding the door as he spoke, waiting for the irritating woman to make her way out it. "I've got a journey to prepare for."

(I know. It's great. I ship them so hard. Gosh. xD ))

Insufferable she was and proud of it. With a growl, Coreliss smirked when he said something about friendly competition. Friendly may not be the most accurate adjective but that only made it seem all the better. She watched him stand and grinned, he actually thought he stood a chance. How cute. She hopped off the desk and walked around it after him. "Sweetie, the fact that you honestly think you will get there first is cute an' all but don't be so confident. We have a long journey ahead of us and you were never one for a long adventure. You dont take the LONG jobs. Like I said, the waves won't treat you any different."

Shrugging, Coreliss approached the open door and stopped in front of James. She grabbed both of his cheeks in her palms before saying, "It's always a pleasure Captain Rigid." She leaned forwards and kissed the corner of his lips, although with her wrists in the way and the angle they were at, anyone who saw would have seen an actual kiss, "Until next time..." She purred into his skin.

Coreliss released him and walked away, swaying her hip in a taunting manner. She enjoyed getting under his skin way more than she would ever admit but then again, she knew he enjoyed these visits just as much as her. She walked down to the dock and went right on her way to her ship. She smirked, there had to be someone watching and when he brought up rumors, she just couldn't resist.

(She just loves doing whatever she can to get on his nerves and with how different they are its so perfect)

James felt as if he wanted to shout as he watched Bones's retreating figure. Why did she always have to act so childish? She was awful. Deplorable. "Insufferable," he thought, rubbing the bridge of his nose in an effort to fight off his oncoming headache. The woman was now safely off his ship and James felt as if a weight had been lifted as he walked out onto the deck. Hopefully no one had really been paying attention to Coreliss's display but James felt as if that would be a stroke of great luck and, unfortunately for himself, he never seemed to be very 'lucky.' He looked to his left and spotted one of his cabin boys staring at him open mouthed.

"...Captain?"

"Don't," James interrupted, waving away the boys concern and confusion with one hand. "Just another one of Captain Coreliss's childish pranks." The Captain walked on, glancing around to see if anyone else had been watching. He didn't see anyone right then, but that didn't mean that no one else had seen Coreliss's 'farewell.' James realized that it truthfully didn't matter. If he let her under his skin, he'd be letting her win and he certainly couldn't do that.

"Jones!" called, waiting for his first mate to appear. "Are we set to sail?"

"Yessir, Captain," Jones replied. "Set to sail whenever you give the word."

James ran a hand through his hair before nodding. "If everyone's accounted for, we sail at dawn."

(I knooooooow and it's great. <3 )

Bones walked along the docks, slowly making her way to her ship as thoughts of the upcoming journey flashed through her mind. She was excited for this, it had been too long that her and James had a competition like this. The best part about it in her mind though, was the millions of opportunities she would have to get under his skin like she just had. There was little light that emanated from the distant taverns and late stores. Most of the light though, came from the gentle glow of the full moon above. Stars looked upon the childish Captain, her skin appearing far more pale than it actually was beneath the night stars. Her ship entered her sights and she jogged up to it grinning before she yelled for Jackal, "Jackal! You better have done what I asked when we landed. Are the wannabes on deck waitin'? If they ain't I swear you will be dangling off the side of this ship for a week."

Jackal came running down the ramp, catching his breath before he stood up straight and nodded. "Aye Captain, They're lined up waitin' on deck. They are eager for you to make your appearance. Eager to be in the presence of the great Bone Wielder..." He stepped to the side and gestured for her to walk on up. She gave him a curt nod and moved on forward up the ramp.

She stepped on deck and three young adventurers stood in a line, each of them evenly spaced between where they stood. She smirked and made her way towards them. Beginning to pace back and forth slowly in front of them she had every intention to make them die of anxiety before speaking at all. With a gruff, "ahem!" the three of them stiffened up, preparing for the worst. Coreliss stopped in front of the first could be recruit and smirked. "So sweetie, why don't you tell me why I need you on this ship. I don't think your answer good enough, you better get off my ship before I throw you over this ledge. Start talkin', you have two minutes to convince me..."

(Sooo Perfect, I wouldn't have them any other way. I hope I hit close to home with that 'kiss' because if it doesn't she might as well actually kiss him. No, but she will do her best to make his crew suspicious.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Several months had passed since Captain James had docked at Pandora and the captain could sense that his destination would soon be upon him. It was a clear day, thank the Gods, and James stood proudly behind the wheel of the Atlantis, watching as his crew scurried about completing various tasks. The Captain surveyed the horizon, hoping to see some sign of land, but instead only saw an endless expanse of light gray. Maybe his intuition was getting a bit rusty after all these years at sea....

And then, a shout from above: "Captain! Land ho!"

All of the crew then dropped what the were doing and rushed to the starboard bow of the ship, each of them hoping to get a glimpse of the unknown land to which they were heading. The Captain, too, peered into the distance from where he stood behind the helm, hoping to get a first look at the mysterious island. They had no such luck; the land was still much to far away to see unaided and it still appeared as a slightly blackish skid across an otherwise monotonous landscape.

"All hands on deck, men; let's go get some treasure!" James commanded loudly, his voice excited. Immediately all of the men picked up their previously abandoned tasks. This time, though, there was an energy almost like electricity buzzing among them as they worked. The sun was starting to fall in the sky by the time the Atlantis was close enough to the island to dock. The entire process of dropping anchor went without a hitch and soon James was leading an expedition of ten men onto the shore. "Told her I'd get here first," James thought absently, having seen no sign of his rival's ship. "She always gets lost." The captain was still lost in his wandering thoughts when a shout from the other boat roused him.

"Uhm, Capt'n? There's a ship heading straight for ours," the man, who James remembered went by the name of Smith, pointed back out to see and James wanted to groan with frustration when his eyes recognized Captain Coreliss's ship. "But I guess sometimes she doesn't get as lost as others." James shook his head and then turned back to face the island who's shore was now within meters.

"Don't worry about Captain Coreliss- that book will be ours." The Captain hopped out of the small boat and his men did the same, cheering at his words as they finally stepped foot on the sand.

The beach was untouched and pristine, the sand a creamy white color that glittered underneath the late day sun. A swift breeze was starting up and James looked over his shoulder at the Atlantis and noted that the clouds in the distance were starting to darken and accumulate. The sea was unpredictable and, no matter how sunny and perfect the day had been early on, a strong storm could spring up at any time. The strong winds swayed the tall coconut palms and James couldn't help but notice how utterly serene this place was. Could this island really be home to an ancient city? It looked as if people had never set foot here, let alone thrive.

All of Jame's doubts vanished, however, when the landing party rounded the tip of the seemingly-small island. A vast expanse of shore and cliffs and jungle lined the coast, almost as far as the eye could see. But something stood out among the nature: a crumbling stone building. Several crumbling stone buildings. And one in particular was grabbing James's attention: there, nestled on the edge of a tall ragged cliff, was a rather large structure that had remained relatively intact. Not even the jungle had taken hold of the old, gray stone walls. The Captain found this fairly odd and decided that there must be something different about that structure. "Up there," he pointed, calling out to his men, "There is where we will find our book, gentlemen."

After another hour of traipsing through thick jungle growth, the party finally reached the steps of the mysteriously untouched stone structure. Amazingly, the doors were intact and operational so the party had no problem making their way inside. James and the rest of his crew stood in a shocked silence as they stepped inside, marveling at the condition of everything around them. They had somehow stumbled upon an ancient library of sorts and old tomes and scrolls lined every available wall, filling every shelf to the brim. It was.....amazing. How could something like this survive here without someone to maintain it? How had this place not fallen to the wills of the sea?

James didn't know the exact reason for this places's existence but he did know one thing: he was definitely in the right place.

((.....I kind of got excited. Oops. ))

Two months had passed since Coreliss and James' ships left Pandora and unlike a fair few aboard, Coreliss was no more seasick than she was when they departed. The two newest recruits were still the fresh meat but had so far done well to prove themselves useful. And despite the week long storm that took place on week four of departure, the sky and the waves treated them well. Although Coreliss would be absolutely and completely content to spend the rest of the year upon the sea, she could see land appearing just ahead. Smirking, she unrolled the map to gave it a quick look over. She cleared her throat and the men nearest her stopped to look at her and listen. "ALL HANDS ON DECK LADIES! Land approaching. You three prepare the anchor and you lot prepare the boats to be lowered. We'll be there within the half hour. Pistol, Saiden and the two freshies get geared for exploration. You four will be accompanying me on the first boat out."

Soft murmurs of excitement and anxiety rose among the crew. Many looked ahead and cheered whilst others got straight to work. The four she had said to be coming with her were already below deck getting ready. Several were staring in awe of the land practically paralyzed with excitement. Growling softly, Coreliss bellowed in an annoyed tone "Snap out of it you daft sea turtles, I don't remember you becoming pirates so you could waste your time staring at something you grew up on. Land is just land so get yer heads out of the clouds and start working. If you don't have anything to do, I suggest you find something quickly before I start debating your usefulness to my ship." They all got to work immediately after that earning them a roll of Coreliss' eyes. Shaking her head a bit, she made her way to her quarters to retrieve what she needed.

It didn't take long to get ready but as she expected, the anchor was ready to be lowered, supplies loaded into the boat with a few men ready to release it into the water and the four that would be coming with her standing at attention beside it. Jackal began speaking, knowing the drill, "James' crew has been here for jut a little while before us, not too long. I will of course stay on board to watch your crew and James' ship. Sails are being folded but are going to be ready for a quick raise if we need to leave quickly. Your normal supplies are loaded as well as a few extra weapons in heart of the competition. Ready to lower the boat when you are Captain." As he finished, the anchor was dropped.

"Thank you Jackal, now make sure this lot doesn't start a riot whilst I'm away." Coreliss grinned.

They climbed into the boat and lowered down to the water. The four paddled hard as they finally reached the shore. Coreliss stepped out of the boat and inhaled deeply. It was so beautiful and serene here, and it was hard to believe that they would ever actually find something of value. Sighing softly, Coreliss spun around before speaking, "Saiden, you are staying back to keep watch. I want you to push James' boat out to sea so he has no way off this island without retrieving that one or another. Pistol make sure the newbies have the proper amount of weapons on them. Newbies this will be your second test, you prove yourselves useful to me off the boat. You do well, we won't have a problem. You fail... Well, let's just hope this island is survivable."

Speaking in unison they said, "Aye Captain."

Coreliss and the three told to come with made their way through. It didn't take to long before they were in the same place as James. A huge library with so many books, scrolls, papers etcetera, she doubted there was a single thing that wasn't there. "Boys, I do believe that this is where we are supposed to be. Make sure you armed and at the ready. Let's split up and cover more ground. " and with those parting words she wandered into the heart of the library mumbling, "James. Come out Come out where ever you are. It's time to play."

(I tried to match how much you put and I'm sorry if the writing is a bit crappy. Also I am sooooo sorry it took me this long to respond. Thank you for being so patient and understanding, I really appreciate it.)

When James heard Coreliss calling his name, he wanted to curse under his breath. Of course she'd have to show up and cause problems just before he was about to find the treasure. Instead of heading back out to the main corridor of the library, James headed deeper into the rows of books. He motioned to the three men he'd brought with him, indicating that they needed to sneak out the back of the building and start making their way back to the boats. They nodded and then set off, silently retracing their way through the isles.

James turned his attention back to his task: he needed to find that tome before Coreliss did. It was more a matter of pride than an actual want of the reward- he was pretty much set on gold for at least the next several months. The only reason he'd taken this job was to irritate Coreliss and get it done better than she could. With a satisfied smirk forming on his face, James spotted what looked like the object of his search. There was a clean, white covered book resting on a pedestal near the end of the row of shelves he was walking down. He hurried along, his steps quick with the anticipation of completing his job. When the book neared, he slowed, wanting to examine the thing a little closer before disturbing it. There was something peculiar about this white-covered tome and James couldn't place his finger on exactly what. There was no title or words written on the front and it was a startling shade of bright white...how could something like this stay untouched and unsoiled in this place?

James took the last three steps before running a hand down the cover, pondering the strange thing for just another moment before removing it from the stool. As soon as the book left the pedestal, everything changed. The peace that was so calming on the island vanished as the building began to rumble, seeming to come alive at the foundation. The walls shook and books bounced from their shelves as the very roof of the sturdy building began to cave in. "What the hell?!" James exclaimed, jumping backwards as an enormous crack formed above him, threatening to rupture the ceiling at any moment and send the rocks tumbling down on top of him. Without waiting another moment, the man grabbed the book and weaved in and out of the shelves, hastily retreating from the suddenly unstable building.

As he ducked and dodged the falling debris and books, James heard the shouting of Coreliss and her party. He made a slight detour through the chaos and jogged past them, trying to keep his footing on the unstable ground. "I think it's time to go, don't you, Coreliss?" he called over his shoulder, not stopping to speak. There wasn't any time for that, not with the way the building was rapidly deteriorating.

They made it outside just barely before the entire roof gave way and collapsed in on itself. The building was just the beginning, though, and as James looked around at the island, he grew more confused. The trees....they'd all aged; in fact, everything had aged. It looked as if one hundred years had passed in the short time they'd been inside the library. James cast another glance at the building and was surprised to see tangles of weeds and shrubbery covering the collapsed walls. What was going on here? How.....how was any of this possible? James's skin tingled with unease as the wind picked up, hitting him like a gale. The sky was even darker now and it seemed that the small storm had already escalated into something more threatening. He didn't know if the sudden change in the island was connected to the storm's intensification, but he had a suspicion that it was. It was becoming clear that there was something supernatural at work here and James was pretty positive it was centered around the book he held in his hands.

"What...?" James thought, shocked as he looked down at the tome in his hands. It too had metamorphosed- the once white cover was now ebony and inky, the cover wrinkled and aged instead of smooth and pristine. He looked over at Coreliss who was standing nearby, her face mirroring his own expressions. "Uh, I don't know what just happened," he paused and gathered his words, not believing what he was about to say, "But I think....I think the book is the cause."

(Sooooo sorry this took a while. I hope this makes up for it. Oh, and did I mention? I have a plan for this RP. Mwhaha.. xD ))

Status
Not open for further replies.