Hecatoncheires

un jour je serai de retour près de toi
Original poster
DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
IC | OOC | Lore | Interest Check
logo_fin-png.236604

You are a death scream.

You are the last gasp of a broken species.

Your world did not end with a bang or a whimper. Instead the end came with an eruption… and a descending haze. You can see them even now. The Roots. Extradimensional protrusions forcing their way into your world. Leviathan growths on a scale your mind struggles to comprehend, towering above all, dominating the skyline. From them emanated the Mould. A choking cloud that has spread across the globe, inescapable and unrelenting. Whatever it touches, it changes. Plants. Buildings. Animals. People. As the Roots loom large, surveying the terror they have wrought, humanity has been warped and shifted into mindless horrors that dance to the tune of unseen puppetmasters.

root_edit-jpg.236605

You did not escape it's influence. None have.

You do not remember how the end came. You were asleep. They sealed you away, a last desperate attempt at preserving a species that did not yet realise it was doomed. Deep down in hidden facilities, the powers of a dying world hoped they could bury you beyond the reach of the Mould. That you might one day awaken to reclaim what was once yours.

Your would-be saviours did not bury you deep enough. The Mould still found you. But it could not change you fully. Not as it has with the once-human monsters and mutated biomass that now roams the planet.

You are Aberrant. An anomaly. An outlier. Resistant to the influence of the Mould upon your mind… yet capable of wielding it. Your body has been warped, mutated, but you can use these changes to your own advantage. They might be all that stands between you and an untimely death. The world is blighted, choked with horrors. Alien creatures and terrifying biomass that serve the beings who sit at the Roots' spires.

the-last-of-us-zombies-gif.236606

Your enemies are coming for you. The Invaders. Unseen masterminds of your world's demise, the fiddlers who have the infected dancing to their tunes. They know where you are buried. They know you are the only threat to their existence this world has left. And so they will destroy you… unless you destroy them first.

You have but one task left to you, now, as you are dumped from sleep into a waking nightmare. You must seize the Roots. Seal off the Invaders.

For you are a death scream. The last gasp of a broken species.

And it falls to you to write humanity's final chapter.

• ooc_banner_05-jpg.236722

Aberrance Root is a Post-Apocalyptic Body Horror RP, about the last mutated survivors of the human race trying to survive a fungal-infested hellscape that was once their home, all the while striving to get back at the things responsible for humanity's demise. You take the role of survivors who have been sealed away from the world as it ended, each of you infected by the Mould that has overrun everything and yet somehow capable of resisting it’s mind-controlling effects. The mutations it grants, or inflicts, are now yours to control. They are the only thing between you and an early grave. For the new world you have awoken to wants you dead. Your only recourse is to follow the call you feel within you. Seize the Roots. Seal off the Invaders.

The story will lead you across an unrecognisable world, face you off against warped mycelial horrors, and above all else ask you a specific question.

How do you wish for the end of the world to be written?

You've got my body, flesh and bone
    The sky above, the Earth below
    Raise me up again
    Take me past the edge
    I want to see the other side
  • ooc_banner_02-jpg.236716

RULES
    • Players will take the role of an individual caught up in a strange Project that has seen them kept in stasis as the world ended, awakening to find themselves one of the Aberrant.
    • New characters begin at Stage 1 of the Mould infection.
    • At this time, I am allowing only one character per player: I don't want the cast to be overly extensive.
    • Please read through the OOC and Lore threads before joining.

RP EXPECTATIONS
    • I have no demands in terms of Posting Expectations. All are welcome in this RP, so long as you want to tell a cool, disturbing story.
    • In a similar vein, I make no demands in terms of Post Frequency. I would be a hypocrite if I did, for I am a notorious flake. All I ask is that we all work together to keep the story’s momentum progressing forward. This may involve poking me every now and then to ensure I haven’t disappeared up my own ass through overthinking. It’s a serial vice of mine, I apologise in advance.
    • This is quite specifically a Body Horror RP. It will get gruesome, and this is encouraged, though bear in mind that this is not a Star RP. Keep your grotesque horror classy, or something. I dunno.
    • This is going to get weird, I am going to make this weird.
  • ooc_banner_03-jpg.236717

Name: (Please also list any nicknames your character might have.)
    Age: (Candidates aged 16 and over were considered for the project your character has been caught up in.)
    Appearance: (Images and pictures are preferred, if not then brevity is appreciated.)
    Five Words: (Give us five specific words that encapsulate the nature of your character, and don't elaborate on them further.)

Notable Skills: (Give us 3-4 skills and/or areas of expertise for your character, feel free to elaborate on them a little further but keep things brief.)

Remnant Memories:
    (Your character has been asleep. For how long, they do not know. The process has affected their memories, making it difficult to recall much of their life before their sudden awakening. However, a few key memories still linger on, for good or ill.

Please list three Remnant Memories that have stuck with your character through stasis. These are likely from defining moments in your character's life, be that positive or negative. They represent the few vestiges your character has of their old life as they awaken into this strange, disturbing new world.)

Hidden Memories:
    (Not all that is lost will remain so forever. As your character progresses through the story, memories will begin to re-surface. Choose three more Memories that will emerge throughout the game. Ideally, these Hidden Memories will be tied to the Remnant Memories already chosen, perhaps adding further clarity to past events or new twists.

DO NOT LIST THESE REMNANT MEMORIES PUBLICLY. Instead, please message them directly to the GM.)

Aberrant Power:
    (Describe and outline your character's Aberrant Power, the manifestation of the abilities and powers that they can wield due to infection by the Mould. For full guidance and advice on putting such an ability together, please consult the 'Aberrant Powers' tab.)
  • ooc_banner_01-jpg.236715

‘Post Apocalypse’ conveys different things to different people, so I want to set the tone right out of the gate. Aberrant Root is not a story about survivors coming together to form settlements and rebuild what was lost. Instead it is a tale of people being dumped into the unknown, of being compelled to venture out into a strange, disturbing new world. Think ‘Journey To The West’, although stories like Cormac McCarthy’s ‘The Road’ or Stephen King’s ‘The Dark Tower’ might be more fitting. By having the cast of this game be explorers, voyagers, I hope to be able to reveal the details of this world to you organically rather than simply relying on an info dump of lore.

‘Body Horror’ is not just something I want to pay lip service to. I want to really lean in, make it disturbing, uncomfortable. Just plain gross. Your characters’ bodies are being warped and shifted into grotesque mockeries of the human form, and its only going to get worse as the story goes on. Key inspirations include movies by David Cronenberg and ‘Tetsuo: The Iron Man’ (which is more metallic in it’s body horror than fungal, but it still works uncomfortably well).

There is an end state for Aberrance Root that I have in mind, but nothing is set in stone. Your characters have agency, and the choices they make on their journey will have consequences.

How the world ends is up to you.
  • ooc_banner_04-jpg.236718

'Aberrant Powers' refers to the abilities that these strange, outlier individuals infected by the Mould can wield. Much like the fungal infection coursing through them, these powers are as varied as they are bizarre.

Creative control remains with you, the player. I don't wish to set too many parameters and restrictions, because frankly you are all far more imaginative than I ever could be. Instead I want you to keep a few key motifs and themes in mind when designing these powers. Mycology is your guiding star in terms of imagery. The Mould builds. It destroys. It shifts perceptions. But always, it changes.

Aim for these abilities to be something that can expand and develop over the course of the game. The best analogy I can think of is that of a Tech Tree, if you've ever played a 4X game, or the Perk Tree you see in RPGs (you're thinking of Skyrim, I'm thinking of Skyrim, even the person who proofread this OOC thought of Skyrim). Start out simple and light then grow more complex and heavy. Like a mycelial network, growing ever outwards. I'm not saying you have to plan a full Tech Tree for your character's Power, let me stress. It would be cool as hell if you did, though.

Aberrant Powers will develop in stages, as the story progresses. As your characters fuel and develop the Mould within them (or even take on new forms of the Mould and incorporate it into their own network), their abilities will grow. For the sake of gameplay mechanics, I have broken these stages down below:
    • Stage 1: Chrysalis - At this stage, your character's abilities will be nascent, only just beginning to manifest. Powerful, certainly, but in their early stage. Associated growths and fungal mutations will not be as obvious, and the character will still look mostly human.
    • Stage 2: Imago - The Mould is now fully manifested inside your character, and the abilities it conveys have solidified. Infection is now far more obvious, however, and gruesome.
    • Stage 3: Symbiosis - A quorum between human and Mould has been achieved. Your character is now extensively mutated by the infection, and the abilities stemming from this have grown all the more potent. They are quite obviously no longer human at this stage, however, with the growths and protrusions reaching grotesque proportions even when powers are not manifest.
    • Stage 4: ██████████ - you keep what you kill
    • Stage 5: ███████ - non habes mentem

SAMPLE POWER: Calcite Armoury
    The Aberrant draws Mould to the surface of their body, calcifying it into hardened matter that can act as armour and/or weapons.
    • Stage 1: The Aberrant can form calcified armour in limited regions of their body, specifically the extremities such as arms and legs. These formations can be serrated or spiked in places to double as blunt or slashing weapons, but nothing refined. Patches of skin on the arms and legs are hardened even when the armour is not formed, and close inspection shows fungal protrusions. The process of manifesting this armour is agonising.
    • Stage 2: Calcified armour can now cover the chest and arms/legs of the Aberrant, acting as a form of breastplate. Formations on the arms and legs can be extended and formed into crude slashing and bludgeoning weapons. Half-formed sections of hardened material still linger even when the armour is not being used. The pain of manifesting it has lessened.
    • Stage 3: The armour can now coat the entire body of the Aberrant, including the head, forming a suit of bio-organic plate armour. More complex and enlarged extensions can be formed, appearing as longswords and shields. Obvious sections of bracket fungi now protrude from the Aberrant's body at all times. It doesn't hurt any more.

SAMPLE POWER: Fungal Hive
    The Aberrant has become a living host to a nest of vicious insect-like fungal lifeforms, which they are capable of controlling and directing at will. It nestles subcutaneously, against their spine. Always, it stirs. Always, it hungers.
    • Stage 1: Emerging through pores and pushing their way through skin, the Aberrant can call forth a small mob of fungal insect life to swarm around them. These insects are not large, about the size of a human fist, but are equipped with vicious stingers and jaws that can bite and stab. They cannot venture far from their host, and have a limited lifespan. Having insects burst out from beneath skin is hardly a fun experience.
    • Stage 2: The subcutaneous tunnels that the insects buzz through are growing more permanent and wider, allowing the Aberrant to spawn forth larger numbers of small insects or a few hardened, weaponised forms. These fungal horrors are now capable of travelling further from their Hive, and the Aberrant can get a vague sense of what they see when doing so. But their body is never still. Never quiet. Always they skitter about inside. Scraping. Buzzing.
    • Stage 3: The Aberrant is a warren now, a true hive. They almost vibrate with activity. A small cloud of fist-sized insects can emerge on cue, and the larger variants are now equipped with dangerous poisons. The insects’ lifespans have increased, and the Aberrant receives a much clearer picture of everything they experience. Their body is riddled with porous holes, pock-marked by honeycombs of crawlspaces.

• Let me stress that it is absolutely not necessary for you to join the Discord server: I'm aware it's not everyone's jam. I just want to ensure that players have an easy means to contact me, discuss the game and collaborate on ideas.

This looks supremely interesting, but I too am a serial flake. But I wanna give this a go. Also your banner image on the character sheet overview looks to be broken, unless that's just on my end.

Reactions: pinnedwing
I've already got a concept in mind; would it be okay to post a work-in-progress sheet, so that you (and anyone who wants to weigh in!) can go over whether it works for the themata of the setting?

Editing to add that I always aim to be easy to write with, and would rather edit and change a character concept or two then write a character who'll be tricky for anyone here to write with. c:

I've already got a concept in mind; would it be okay to post a work-in-progress sheet, so that you (and anyone who wants to weigh in!) can go over whether it works for the themata of the setting?
You're absolutely welcome to post what you have so far, yeah. I find that's what I often do when putting characters together for RPs.

@Kuno I know you were interested.

👁👄👁

"Don't worry.
I promise, I really promise -
everything will be okay."

- from a recorded message pre-procedure, intended recipient unknown
Name: Galina Colman, Galina, Galia to close friends.

Age: 31; due to the nature of the procedure, no longer aware of her own biological age.

Appearance: [Picture will be placed here, I know how good a quick ref can be. Gotta find something that fits, though, and I want to match everyone's aesthetic.]

Slight; crooked, stooped build; she used to joke that she had a bad back (she doesn't) and it caught up with her. Only a little taller then average.
Long, flowing brown hair, painfully straight. Crooked nose, wavering smile, watery green eyes.
Used to dress in the cheapest trousers and cardigans that still met her institution's dress code; faded floral notes that seem comical in a world choked with the sweet haze of distant spores.

Five Words: Guilty, nurturing, thanatophobic, misocainea, jealous.

Notable colour: #9ca7b1 - this is just for my purposes, anyone else can use it too..!

Notable Skills:

1. In another lifetime, Galina taught elementary students. She didn't choose the job, and she didn't relish it, but the experience left her with a quiet confidence in calming arguments and mending tempers.

2. In another lifetime, Galina used to write letters. She wrote them in politics, she wrote them to friends, she even wrote love-letters. No longer do the memories of what she wrote linger with her, but she feels certain she used to have calligraphy that others praised.

3. In another lifetime, Galina played the mandolin. There was no reason why; she didn't choose to play it because she loved it. But she grew to, and her fingers still remember the movements, and what solace they brought.

x. In another lifetime, Galina drove a knife in deep. Perhaps it was a mercy; perhaps someone asked for it. If she had to do it again, to keep living, she would...

Remnant Memories:

Being told that she had been let go; that there was no point in teaching children when they would have no future to look forward to. The wretched wonderful feeling of being free, even as other people wept.

2. Staying up all night, alone by herself, completely alone - with nobody else who needed her, all electronic tabs deadened. Just her, the pulse of subservient machines, and the thrum of entertainment created by people still-living and dead. Comforting and gentle and offered without any expectation, at all.

3. It was raining. She was late and it was raining; but so too was the girl. They were going to different places, but seeing a young child, crying in the rain, reminded her of things she could not remember - then, or now. And she ignored her responsibilities to guide the child to her parents. As they parted ways, the young girl turned back - seeing clearly, even in rain. She asked a question; don't adults have things they need to do? And Galina would remember her own genuine response, even now.

When someone else is in trouble, you can do anything you want to do.

Hidden Memories:

"I'm an open book, or at least I - I try to be. We've got to depend on each other, now. I know that sometimes I - I'm definitely overwhelmed by all of this, who wouldn't be? But don't worry; I promise, I won't let it get me down. I won't be holding you back."

Aberrant Power:

Rejection;

Galina emphatically rejects the idea of relying on the mould, in any capacity. It's evil. It's wrong.
And the ruin that destroyed all the hopes of humanity could never, never amount to anything good.
Even if it hurts, even if it kills her, it's just a matter of excising any possible venue for the mould to thrive... Right?

The more the mould becomes visible, the more pressure Galina puts on removing it. Cutting blossoms free, digging in deep until it's gotten under fingernails, and - at the end, there's only one thing left to do.

Now the world is filled with unnecessary parts that remain pure against the mould. It's just a matter of replacing grotesque infection with something new or fresh; rebar or bone, a red sign or copper wire, brick dust or precious worthless stones.

But of course, the mould is already deep within her bloodstream; there was never any way to fight against it and win, let alone prevent it from dwelling within her flesh; perhaps it was always there, and she was always sullied. Perhaps the world didn't change at all. Technical details after the cut.
The Aberrant gradually replaces infected flesh with useful materiel. This passively increases the abilities of the Aberrant, while robbing them of some tactical flexibility, as well as unnecessary sensation.
  • Stage 1: A single item, called a limb, has been removed. It was grotesque anyway, and what replaced it was so much more useful. Even if it was something that didn't serve a purpose, a bent piece of metal, look at how much more practical is for this new world..? Entirely immune to the depredations of mould. Pure. (A single limb has been replaced with a limb of metal; it should not work, and yet it does. If spores drift as baleful motes around the limb, it's surely a trick of the light. The limb may be replaced with one that apes the function of a human limb every night if damaged in action, environment, or combat.)

• Stage 2: At least two limbs have been removed, and no longer adhere to strictly humanoid shapes. The scent of sweet-rotten fungus hangs around the air, as the replaced limbs are in turn rejected by their host, and remain only because of an outside factor. These limbs may be tools or weapons. The host remains 'pure' but the Aberrant nevertheless cannot remember why the human body adhered to a certain shape in the first place, and misses dearly memories of sensations they cannot recall. (Functionally, the replaced limbs can be swapped out over the period of a night's rest, assuming materiel. The materiel may be metal, or sourced from organic materiel within the world, but the latter begins to decay rapidly, and must be replaced by the next resting period or detach/wither to the point of uselessness. Thus, metal is always preferred.)

• Stage 3: From within a cradle of metal, the human body is sustained. It remains bipedal and humanoid, but the asymmetric and scavenged limbs make the Aberrant seem more a pathetic machine then a human being - if the distinction matters. A single faceplate, monitor, or screen must be present for the Aberrant to emote to their peers, and if one has not been present for at least one week, they must spend a night in memory trying to recall gestures and tones to imitate human candor. The Aberrant has began to experiment with adding more and more features; there is always the need for climbing chains, cutting blades, and the most perfect tool of rejection - fire. If the tell-tale traces of mould serving as connective tissue and pulsing with bioelectric veins do not make it obvious, the host can pretend all they want; but mould and Aberrant have reached an accord. (Functionally, the Aberrant is semi-mechanical for the purposes of damages and resistances. They weigh roughly 4x their original weight, are powered by bio-electricity, and may increasingly experiment with function over form - or, indeed, other shapes entirely.)

The idea here is that in her attempts to purge the influences of the mould, Galina just ends up strengthening in it in every infection, every interaction, every poorly grafted 'limb.' It's only the mould keeping her alive, and her rejection of that idea is as much pathetic as it is almost comical. Like all Aberrants, she is keenly aware of the truth, and that's not really a spoiler. She just refuses to acknowledge it, because that would mean she's no longer human. And look at her! She's still human! She's -

still

... oh.

Bonus; a selection of musical inspirations, just for you.

y; a world before the world that is (Concerto for Philodendrons & Pothos)
i. i don't want to change (The Commonwealth)
ii. this furnace, a heart (Assistance)
iii. rejection (MP [Metamorphosis])
iv. ________ (First Warning)
v. a world that is (First Song)
x; broadcast (when reason fails)

Last edited:
  • Spicy
Reactions: Hecatoncheires
Are you still accepting new people? This looks pretty cool!

if you're still accepting i am so down

Hello I am interested.

I'd like to join

Abigail / ‘Medusa’ / The Many Eyed Ones
31​

Five Words: Independent, smartass, cruel, tenacious, driven

Notable Skills:
  • Hacking // Knows the ins and outs of most computer systems, within reason //
  • Digital Tracking // Was adept at finding people or information through their digital footprint, even when they were trying not to be found //
  • Improvisation // Never one to waste resources, quick to change gears when the plan isn’t working out //
  • Grad Student // 2nd year grad student, master’s degree in research in cybersecurity //

Remnant Memories:

//Through the haze and fog that permeates Abigail’s mind she remembers her receiving her degree in cyber security. She remembers celebrating her success at both graduating and receiving high honors. Abigail’s sense of pride swells when she remembers this memory, though something else twists beneath the surface.

//Abigail remembers her hope and anxiety on the day of her thesis defense. The last step between her and her graduation. The details are fuzzy but she remembers a swell of hope and a sense that she had it in the bag. What most sticks out though is the feeling of rejection left behind as the memory fades, having failed her first attempt.

//This time there was no sense of worry, no reason to suspect failure. Abigail's confidence swelled immeasurably and threatened to drown out any other feelings left behind by the memory. But even knowing that her second attempt had been a surefire success Abigail could feel that something wasn’t right with the situation.

Aberrant Power:

• Medusa/Many-Eyed-One
    • Split consciousness
    • Peripheral awareness
    • Limited bioluminescence, limited capacity to venture forth and survey surroundings.
    • Electronic interference/hi-jacking

Stage 1 // Abigail is aware of another consciousness, or perhaps many? The Many-Eyed-One, as it calls itself, speaks with the unison of one mind but the presence of many. To determine if it is a single mind or many acting in unison is a hard determination to be made. Manifesting as fungal growth spreading throughout the locks of Abigail's hair, the [MEO] share a head space with Abigail, acting as both a constant watchdog as well as a mental ride along for Abigail. Although currently limited in utility, the [MEO] does have free will and a range of movement atop Abigail’s head.
  • [MEO] constantly on guard duty for immediate surroundings, can awaken Abigail if danger is spotted approaching.
  • Can act as a sort of cyber link for small electronics, allowing Abigail to sift through whatever data they may hold. [ie. thumb drives, cell phones, disks, small hard drives]
  • Short range of motion within a few feet around Abigail, not much use for this at this stage.
  • Bioluminescence.

Stage 2 // Traits of the [MEO] have begun manifesting in other ways upon Abigail’s form. The host deforms further to suit the master’s needs. Abigail struggles with a need to consume untainted meat in order to repurpose the biomass for other needs. Whether she gives in to the master’s desires is not a question of if, but when. The fungal growth has become a nest of writhing coils atop Abigail's head, granting her a likeness to Medusa. But the mass defies expectations as the reach of her ‘snakes’ has grown to 5 times that of the average man, and their carry limit to that of a few hundred pounds, per.
  • Can extend 28’ in length and lift up to 300 pounds per ‘snake’. Can act as a surveillance implement within the range, able to check corners and under doors or other such situations.
  • Can link with more advanced devices and gain free run of actual working networks.
  • The mind becomes more fractured, the many more distinct, the eyes grow stronger.

Stage 3 // The host serves the master, the mind subservient to the overmind. Abigail exists as almost a passenger in her own body, deceived into merely believing that her actions and choices are her own. The [MEO] leads her forward as an extension of its own body, furthering his own goals whilst persuading her that theirs are one and the same.
  • Can link with most technology and crack into most networks.
  • Doubles previous length and weight limitations.
  • Gains the ability to briefly provide enough power to resurrect dead technology systems, the more power needed the more time required to generate a sustainable charge.
  • Abigail's body has molded more with the fungal growth, growing larger and winder to store the biomass she consumes. Her mouth has become wider and deeper, taking on an almost anglerfish-like appearance.

I'm interested in joining. Would the ability to integrate technology into you rown body be viable as an aberrant ability? How about the ability to utilize insectoids and other creatures infesting your body as weapons and equipment?

Name: Domasz Svetak
vladimir-matyukhin-ft-813.jpg

Five Words:

Savage - Cunning - Intransigent - Degrading - Predatory

Notable Skills:

Violence: Ages may have passed but Domasz's propensity for bloodshed remains. The kick of a rifle against his shoulder, cold iron biting into an enemy's flesh, bloodied fists smashing into fractured skulls, the flick of a switch and the explosive aftermath it entailed - bloodshed was his business and business was good.

Survival: The urban jungle or the unwelcoming wilderness - home alike to one who stays hidden and makes best use of what his surroundings provide. Unseen, prepared, and lurking in wait; a human cockroach in terms of hardiness.

Charisma: Sometimes you lead by example. Sometimes you lead with words. Nonetheless, competence is a strong quality of good leadership.

Hunter: You tried to run from him. He knew. He was always there. Things ended poorly.

Remnant Memories:
(Your character has been asleep. For how long, they do not know. The process has affected their memories, making it difficult to recall much of their life before their sudden awakening. However, a few key memories still linger on, for good or ill.

Please list three Remnant Memories that have stuck with your character through stasis. These are likely from defining moments in your character's life, be that positive or negative. They represent the few vestiges your character has of their old life as they awaken into this strange, disturbing new world.)

1) The clicking of safeties, the muttering of curses, their weapons rising over the concealment of broken architecture, the roaring of war, and the hatred that burned as the invader felt their wrath.

2) The small and dingy room, ceiling shaking and raining down dust, where they pleaded to him. Body torn and life fleeting, anger becoming resignation and a new goal burning into his mind.

3) Delirium and horror, body convulsing with ravenous and alien sensations as the gun struggled to rest against the underside of his jaw. Was it empty?

Aberrant Power:
(Describe and outline your character's Aberrant Power, the manifestation of the abilities and powers that they can wield due to infection by the Mould. For full guidance and advice on putting such an ability together, please consult the 'Aberrant Powers' tab.)

Infested Weapon System

The aberrant hosts a variety of arthropod creatures living off of the fungoid infestation of their body. They are linked to his consciousness, biology, chemical signature, and other such characteristics. In function they serve as both tools and as weapons.

• Stage 1:
  • Auxiliary limbs erupt from his sides, siphon-tubes along his arms, mouth replaced by mandibles, and a pair of centipede symbiotes emerge from his back. He can fire short range dart-spines from the tubes in semi-automatic bursts while the auxiliary limbs are short and function as additonal legs, letting him move very quickly on his belly. The centipedes can grasp from around 12 feet away and have short claw-mandibles for ripping and tearing.
  • Stage 2:
  • All additional limbs grow longer and thicker, increasing their strength and toughness, allowing for additional close quarters attacks. Siphon-tubes fire faster and larger spine-darts up to medium range in short bursts. The centipedes can extend 18 feet and have envenomed mouthparts. He grows an antennae suite along his shoulders that grant him enhanced olfactory and air pressure sensory capability. His mandibles can do even more horrible things to others.
  • Stage 3:
  • He can regenerate his now tougher and sharper auxiliary limbs in between half a minute to a minute and half's time, capable of now firing them as medium range projectiles. Siphon-tubes have full-auto capability and can now be used at long range. Four centipedes capable of extending 22 feet in lengh extend from his back, now capable of spraying or spitting an anti-fungal venom. Two additional compound ocular domes emerge from the sides of his skull, giving him a wider field of view and the ability to much more easily focus on multiple things at once.

With more than a little regret, I'm afraid that I will be shelving this RP for the foreseeable future.

My partner and I have our first child arriving the next few weeks (why yes I am panicking, thank you). Though I initially hoped that I was going to be able to balance life, commitments, writing and parenting, it's become very clear that this was over-optimistic on my part. Turns out babies are quite a lot of work, who knew? Whilst we could roll the dice and see how many plates I could spin, I don't want to get the ball rolling when I know that in all likelihood I will not have the time necessary to get this RP off the ground. If nothing else, I am aware of my own shortcomings as a GM. I don't want to set everyone involved up for disappointment when I know there's a good chance I will not be able to match your efforts: you all deserve better than that.

So for now at least, I believe the best option is to take a rain check and postpone. Please accept my apologies but I believe it's better that we pause now, before things have truly got going, than when the game has started.

Thank you all for your interest, your ideas and your enthusiasm for Aberrance Root. As much as I'm disappointed that I'm not going to be able to tell this story with you just yet, things are eventually going to calm down on my end in the future (though there are a lot of sleepless nights awaiting me between now and then). I sincerely hope that we'll be able to re-visit this story then.