Abandi

Ryogen was confused. He knew his best option was to ally with this woman, who, if left to her own devices, may leave tales of Abandi's whereabouts. However, apparently owing a favour to her could prove very dangerous. In the end, he would just have to do his best to appease her. He swallowed, then ventured to ask:
"What do I owe you," He paused for a brief second and studied her facial features until she made eye contact, then continued with "And why?"
Uncomfortable silence seemed to fall around.

"I don't know how you can repay me for what you did, but letting that thief go running off cost me dearly." She sighed, she hated talking about it because of the pain it caused her, but she knew he wouldn't listen if he didn't know the full story.

"Let me tell you everything. My husband, Leoric, and I were married, in the summer, when I was 18 and he was 19. We were just a farmer and his wife, both our families were farming families and we all lived in the same town. My husband was a very good fighter. He trained with the other men whenever they had time to. We were excited to be married and wanted a child." Gemini had been looking up at the sky but was silent for a moment before looking directly into Ryogen's eyes when she spoke next.

"They came into our house in the middle of the night, 5 summers ago, and held me down, beat me, beat Leoric and told me he was dead to me now. I don't know who they are but I know what the man who stole my husband looks like. I will find him and I will get my Leoric back, and I will get my revenge." She finished, tears were streaking down her face as she stood up unable to look in Ryogen's eyes any longer, she turned around and looked to the sky once again.

"That man I was beating had answers, answers that I don't know if I can get now that you two let him get away." She spun around, tears falling freely from her eyes now and looked at Ryogen once again.

"That is why you owe me." She pointed at him when she spoke the words, then slowly turned her head up to the sky once more and ceased talking. All she could do now was cry from the pain brought forth by her recalling of the memory.

Abandi awoke, weakly lifting her head from the ground and looking in her brothers direction. She managed to get on her knees, crawling over to him and wrapping her arms around his neck. Abandi cuddled him, tucking her head into his chest. She breathed shallow and soft.

"i am sorry..."​

Ryogen sighed as he embraced Abandi, running his hands through her hair to calm her down.
"It's okay" He whispered softly, putting on his best attempt to be comforting. "It wasn't your fault." He then looked at Gemini and was at a loss for words. He had had no idea about her plight or any of the sort, but somehow they must have ruined it.

He assessed the situation. They had little money, little food, and little prospect of finding another place to stay or work. The good inside him wanted to help this woman, but he also doubted whether he would actually be of any use. He grimaced, knowing he was already in an awkward situation, but about to dig that hole even deeper, and asked:

"I'm really sorry. Is there anything me or my sister can do to help?" He felt the gravity of the woman's situation press down on him as well, but he did not let the emotion show in his voice.

Gemini turned to Ryogen and Abandi, looking at how frail she looked in his arm.

"First we need food and shelter of some sort. Do you have any money? I'm not for stealing but if we have to I can do it." She said to them, hoping they would have at least a little money on them to help with their current situation. She knew she was going to be travelling far and long, and assumed she would be with them for most of it. They couldn't stay in one town for long as it was, so she might as well have them come with her. At least for a while. They could even be helpful, as long as they didn't let more people with information get away. Ryogen could fight, and Abandi... well, she could distract. If she got mad enough should could level a whole town. Gemini sighed, it wasn't going to be easy, but they needed to get on the right track.

"Once you are rested, Abandi, we can start moving. I don't know when the last time you two ate but I could go for an entire loaf of bread, some warm beef stew, and a pint of mead." She gave them a weak smile and sat down, waiting for them to be ready to go.

abandi smiled wide at Gemini. She seemed to gain back all her energy in mear moment, jumping up and holding her hands above her head.

"Yay! Abandi's going on an adventure!!" She clapped her hands and looked to her brother, who had a more serious expression on his face. They had been moving from town to town, always running away from something that Abandi did or did not do. She placed her small hand on Ryogen's head, patting his shiny black hair.

"It's ok big brother, i'll look after you" She smiled wide and clenched her fist. In the back of her mind she knew her brother wanted revenge as much as she did; though she would never voice it to him.

Ryogen listened to Gemini's words. He nodded. "I have some funds, yes. It should keep us going for about a fortnight, if the food is cheap." He then regarded Abandi, who had suddenly leapt up with the electricity of a thunderbolt. It always amazed him how easily she could bounce back from her darkened phase like that. Here she was, joking about with him as though nothing had ever happened. His train of thought was interrupted by his stomach growling loudly. Reaching into his pocket, he fumbled around a bit until coming up empty: there were no more seeds left. He stood up promptly.

"Well then," He said to Abandi in a playful voice. "If it's adventure you want, it's adventure you'll get!"
He turned to Gemini.
"Where to?"

Gemini looked up to the sky. It was getting dark but she could figure out which direction was North.

"If we head southeast we will come to the Ogres Cross bridge. I know people don't go to the bridge anymore for fear of the dangers, but we don't have much choice in the matter. Going around the inlet will take far too long with the rations we no longer have, besides, with Abandi's possible magic blowing things up, and you and I fighting, I'm sure any dangers presented to us will hold no contentment. That will lead us away from Cyngi, where Abandi has effectively destroyed their field and workers." Gemini said it with a smile. She wasn't trying to hurt the young girl's feelings, just stating the facts.

"Then we can get to Eridani which is just over the other side of the bridge. I'm not sure what hour we will arrive, because of the possible dangers, but given we run into nothing sizeable I would say Eridani is reachable by midday tomorrow. I know we need rest but we can't waste any daylight. Ready?" She asked both of them, even though they looked tired, Abandi less tired, they both stood seemingly ready to go.

(( i posted a copy of the map in the plot discussion thread. Check it out so we can all be on the same page with how the land looks!)

Abandi smiled wide and nodded her head as Gemini spoke. It was easy for her to see how happy her brother was with the mentioning of a possible purpose in life. The idea of adventure sparked fantasies within her naive mind; dragons, warriors and all things lengendary came to life in her thoughts. She watched her brother and their new companion as they readied themselves for travel.

"OH!" Abandi chirped, remembering the small leather satchel that her brother had tied around her waist. "Abandi has monies!" Her innocent mispronunciation of the word made her glowing face seem that much more precious; if possible. Her long black hair hung pin straight around her face, cascading down past her shoulders and chest. A gentle wind picked up the tenrils of blackness and tossed them into the air. Abandi's small fingers fumbled with the thin strings as she untied the leather satchel and handed it to her brother, stray gold peices that she had found or 'somehow' came across clinked within the soft pouch.

"Is this enough?"
</SPAN>

Gemini shook her head in wonder. The girl was rich compared to what meager coin she herself had on her.

"That will be more than enough." She smiled at Abandi, still in awe of the amount.

"You are quite proficient at aquiring coin aren't you?" It was a rhetorical question but she knew the girl would be more than happy to talk about nearly anything.

Ryogen smiled as he listened to Gemini's plan of travel. Even though his limbs ached from the physical exertion of the day, he felt renewed and inspired to start moving. He was also relieved that they would be getting away from Cyngi: Eridani was at a reasonably comfortable distance. He nodded in eagerness, and then in bewilderment as Abandi conjured the money from her pockets. Shocked, he decided against grilling Abandi as to where she had acquired it: they had simply been through too much today. At least they had money. For the first time today, he stopped himself from sighing.The journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step, he remembered one of his tutors at the castle telling him. Well today he would begin his journey. He would help this woman reclaim her honour, and then earn his as well.

He began following Gemini down the trail, holding Abandi's hand as they walked.

They walked for hours through forestland, past streams, seeing all the wildlife, undisturbed. Gemini took in the beauty as they walked and made small talk, bringing up old fights and tales of travels, without getting into anything too deep. They were getting closer to the Ogres Cross bridge and Gemini slowed her pace.

"Let's rest for a few moments before we get to the bridge. We don't know what is awaiting us there, if we are caught off guard it could be the death of us." Gemini walked around looking for any berries or fallen nuts for them to munch on while they rested. Once she had found and eaten enough to keep her going for a bit longer she urged them on.

"OK, this bridge could be very dangerous, so be careful. Abandi, if you get angry.... try not to destroy the bridge." She said it with a smile, knowing from the last time that the girl didn't have much, if any, control over her magical bursts. Gemini walked toward the bridge, and when they came out of the woods and into the clearing before the bridge she saw the men standing guard.

"Shit..." She said under her breath. 'This is not going to end well.' She thought as she continued her pace, not slowing. Making the guards see she was in control and would not be told what to do, nor would she pay any toll they "required".

"Hello there beautiful." The first man said to Abandi. He was about six feet tall with a broadsword on his back. "Your toll might be different from the others." He said it with a smirk that Gemini knew well enough.

"I don't think that will be necessary." Gemini said to the man, stepping in front of Abandi effictivly blocking his view of the girl. "In fact, I don't think any toll will be necessary."

"Haha, sure thing sweetheart. What you going to do? Cut me with your little daggers." He said to Gemini, motioning to her scimitars with his hand, while pulling the broadsword from his back. There were two other men, all a little bit shorter than the first man, but both of them equipped with weapons of some sort. Gemini scoffed at him.

"If you're so big and manly, lets do this." She said to him, keeping her hands on her hilts but not yet advancing, waiting for him to come to her. They were roughly 15 feet away from each other, with Ryogen coming up next to Gemini and Abandi behind him, hiding. The biggest man with the broadsword leaped at Ryogen, probably because he saw no weapon. Faster than she believes she's ever done before, Gemini whips out her scimitars and slams the mans broadsword down easily, not letting him reach Ryogen. Gemini glares at the man.

"You will not take any toll and you will not attack my friends." She says through clenched teeth, slashing her scimitars at him faster and faster, making cuts all along his body. The other two men were too busy staring in awe at how fast she was moving to do anything but look at their leader get slashed by her. She made a big scene, spinning around, keeping them all distracted by her dance of swords. When she came to a stop and slashed the man accross his wrists, cutting off his hands, he didnt even seem to notice at first. He kept going like he had the sword in his hand, then realized the sword was on the ground, with his hands still gripping the hilt. He screamed in agony, falling to the ground and rolling around like he was trying to put out a fire on his body. She didn't think the rolling was going to grow his hands back. She smirked at his pain, then motioned to Ryogen to pick up the broadsword, even though he only had one arm she knew it was strong enough to wield that giant sword. They stood facing the two men left, with the screams of the biggest man in the backround, bolstering Gemini and Ryogens confidence, and lessening the two theives'. Gemini laughed at them.

"So, think you can take us?" She asked them with a smile and a lunge.

Abandi eyed the bridge with curiousity and when she saw the people near it, she got excited.
"People!" She would have run toward them, if it wasn't for her brothers hand, pulling her back next to his side. Gemini handled everything, speaking for the group and doing a wonderful job of intimidating the men, even Abandi could see that.

Abandi watched from behind her brother, keeping quiet. The big man's words had scared her, even though he didn't quite understand his sexual undertones. She wanted him out of the way, gone from their path so they could get to the next town.

Abandi screamed when the big man came lunging toward her brother, she crouched down, holding to his legs in fear. She put her delicate hands over her ears as he screamed out in pain from the direct amputation of his hands.

"No no no no no" She repeated to herself, closing her eyes and pressing her hands tightly to her head. She didn't want to witness anymore fighting.

Ryogen flinched as the man about to attack him suddenly collapsed on the floor and was slashed to pieces by Gemini. He had remained silent throughout most of the confrontation, planning, but the quick leap into combat caught him off guard. Following Gemini's hand motion, he lifted the broadsword into his hand whilst weighing it. He smirked: he was much more used to a weapon like this. He would be able to move with true power now. Without warning, he roared at the top of his lungs, leaped over the body and brought his sword around to slash the thief wearing a cowl. The man was able to parry quickly, but quickly stumbled back. Ryogen seized the opportunity and kicked him over, causing him to land squarely on the ground. He was about to finish the job when he heard a whistling from his right ear. The sword came as if a flash of lightning and dared to cause grievous injury. Ryogen ducked just in time, but stumbled and he lost his balance. His leg moved out beneath him so that he would not fall over, but he was now kneeling. The man attacked again, but Ryogen was ready this time, and parried. However, the man he was fighting was more agile and was able to keep parrying and attack with a quick intensity. Ryogen was surprised he could keep up, and figured it would be very hard to penetrate the man's defense. If he stood up now, he would be killed whilst rising, so was effectively trapped in the duel. He saw movement out of the corner of his eye: the other thief had stood up and was now slowly advancing.

Ryogen yelped as he barely parried another swipe and willed Gemini to act quickly.

Gemini looked over at Abandi and was afraid the fighting was going to make the girl explode her magic. She just hoped it was after they made their way over the bridge, so they wouldn't be stuck on the one side of the inlet. She saw Ryogen go after the first man with the cowl and saw him fall to his knee to the second thief as the cowled man stood back up. Gemini easily ran over to the cowled man and began slashing with her scimitars, much like she had just done to his boss. Except this time she was making him twirl around so she could get over to Ryogen and help him. She now had her back facing Abandi, with the thief she fought facing her, and his back to Ryogen. She knew that he needed her, but she wasn't sure if her skill matched that of two practiced thieves. So she took a card out of Ryogen's book, slashed both her weapons into the thiefs at the same time, letting out a huge scream, hoping to catch him off guard. She kicked the thief right where Ryogen did in his chest, once again knocking him backwards, and creating a distraction to the thief that Ryogen was fighting. She jumped on the first thief and knocked the sword right out of his hand, cutting it as she went but not amputating it. She hoped the distraction was enough to get Ryogen back on his feet, but she didn't have time to look. She needed to take care of this thief. She put a blade to his throat.

"Do not move or you will die. Know that I mean it by looking to your leader." He was still whimpering. She knew he would die from the blood loss before long and she didn't care. Rape was no form of payment for anything, and she would never let anyone who threatened it against anyone she knew live to see another day.

Abandi watched from a safe distance, squeeking with fear as she witnessed Gemini's deadly fighting style. The swords scared her and as she watched Gemini cut and slash, bile rose in her throat. You are capable of so much more death than those swords, you should not fear any weapon... She heard the Shadow speak to her. Abandi cuddled her face into her knees, hiding behind a thin tree on the edge of the forest that boardered their path. you could kill them all with one glance...

I don't want to kill anyone...She whimpered, still hearing the battle going on so close to where she hid. Her brother was grunting as he swung the broadsword, and Gemini's voice stung her ears like a viper. You could protect you're brother with this power, why do you reject me? The shadow tried to persuade her.

Abandi screamed, her mind clouding with indecision. Of course she wanted to protect her brother, but every time she gave into the darkness that lived inside her, Ryogen was sad. People scolded and ridiculed her brother, made them move and hated them simply because she was trying to help.

"I can't" she whispered to herself, trying to fight the Shadow's seducing words.

Ryogen leapt to his feet as soon as he heard Gemini yell. His opponent jumped, but had the same idea as him and both of their swords met in midair. Ryogen tried the old kick in the chest trick again, but the man was ready for him and was braced. A small grunt was heard as the foot connected but the thief stood upright and slashed as Ryogen, who caught and deflected it. He heard Gemini talking in one ear and Abandi screaming in the other. He quickly turned to face her to see if she was alright and was bemused when he caught sight of a small wisp of shade. Impulsively, he ducked and shoulder barged the man, sailing under the blade aimed for him and catching it's master off guard. Putting all his effort now into charging, he sprinted like a bull, locked in a death struggle with the other man, very quickly moving towards the other side of the bridge. Ryogen leapt back and brought his new broadsword round from the side for a heavy blow and sliced straight into thin air. He glanced down and saw the man falling towards the rocks below. He span around quickly to avoid seeing the bloody sight. Gemini seemed to have things under control with the other thief, and he thought Abandi was looking a little less dark.

He allowed himself a small smile. "We make a pretty good team." He remarked as he gazed at Gemini, who was poised in a deadly pose. He was glad he'd asked her along, but made a mental note to stay on her good side.

Child, we are one in the same... The shadow seemed to change forms, changing from male to female with an identical appearance to Abandi. The only thing that separated them was the eyes. Instead of Abandi's calm grey eyes, the Shadow had vibrant violet pools. She held herself with dignity and grace, the complete opposite of Abandi, who was childish and clumsy. Within Abandi's mind, the Shadow stood in her home of darkness, watching her with those strikingly bright eyes. Her long black hair flowed freely, though there was no wind to carry it. She was magnificent.

When she finally managed to focus, feeling the Shadow no longer dominant in her mind, Abandi peeked from behind the thin tree, observing her brother and new friend finishing their battle.

Gemini stood with one foot on the ground and one on the last living thieves chest. Her right scimitar point dangling terrifyingly close to his windpipe.

"I have questions that you will answer maggot." She said to the man, sheathing her left scimitar and crouching down so the tip of her right scimitar pointed towards the woods and the blade nearly laid accross his throat.

"I'll die 'fore I 'nswer ya!" He spit in her face. She quickly stood up, kicked him with her right foot and settled back into place while wiping away the spit with her left hand.

"Nice, real nice. Now tell me, who was your leader that I so easily disposed of and who ordered you to guard this bridge?" She was heading into the direction to ask this random thief if he knew anything about her husband. She doubted it, but she had to ask any and every person she found who could have any possible information on him. The man just looked at her and did not answer.

"The silent treatment ... right." She said as she raised herself up, pulling out her left scimitar and slashing the mans chest, making a thin shallow cut from left shoulder to right hip. He gasped as she cut him. She cut him again and again making dozens of small painful cuts all over his chest. She stopped and crouched back down once he finally screamed.

"Done not talking to me? Or should I keep this up?" She stood back up and asked him with a raised eyebrow.

"No, no more, please. I'm talkin'. What ya want ta know? Who he is?" He rolled his head to point in the direction of the leader. "He's no one, only the leader of 'r band, whom half of which ya've killed. We don't take orders from no one. We do what we want when we want, an' we stay tagether to make it easier ta overtake random people passin' over this bridge. If ya don't know what thieves do than ya don't know much, lady. How could this possibly mean anything to you?" He was gasping with each sentence, his wounds taking their toll on him, the blood was oozing out of the multitude of cuts which had turned his shirt into tatters. Gemini could tell he wasn't going to last much longer.

"Do you know of the Warrior Leoric?" She glared at him when she asked, daring him to lie to her or spit in her face again. She was ready for more blood from this piece of scum straight from the halls of Grygus' castle in Oblivion. How any God could make men such as this she didn't know, she cursed Grygus' name again and asked Kollidan for help. Not really a prayer, since she had quit praying since her husband was stolen from her, but this was the same question she had asked Kollidan every time she interrogated someone about her husband. 'Please Kollidan, for the love of all that is good in this world, let this demon of Grygus' making know where my Leoric is."

"Wha's it ta you?" The thief had stopped sulking and was back to being defiant. He wanted honor in his death Gemini supposed, and she laughed at the thought. Honor for this man? Never.

"Answer the question. Have you seen my Leoric!?" She yelled at him, and realized her mistake. She had said "my" when she should have said warrior or nothing at all. Now that it was out she might as well tell him, and hopefully scare him into answering her.

"He is my husband. And while he is a Warrior, whose demeanor is calm and rational during every fight, I am an assassin and I will kill without a thought, as you have seen, to get what I want. Now answer me! Have you seen him?"

"Seen 'is rottin' corpse!" The thief yelled and laughed deep in his gut. Gemini pulled out her left scimitar and in a yell of fury swiped both blades accross the mans throat, silencing him for life. She looked up to the sky with the fire burning deep inside her aching to get out and she calmed it. There were no more theives to kill and no one to ask questions. It was time to get away from this bloodbath and move on.