A World of Our Own..... (taken)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lyra blinked at Vaid, everything registering with her. "What?!" She screeched, shock rippling through her. "Oh, no no no...you are mistaken sir. If you don't mind, I would like to be returned to my room...I do not like where this is going...not one bit..."

"Actually it's too late," Marri decided to chime in finally. "The kind of mage you are Lyra is something special. The kind of teaching we plan to do is special too. Not only that but you saw the order, the High Council already knows about our plans for you. They won't let you study here if you won't help us. They'd consider you too dangerous." Vaid stood up and walked over to Lyra and held his hands out palms up and stared Lyra down. "Stand up and put your hands in mine and close your eyes."

Lyra shoved her hands under her, suddenly afraid. She looked from Marri to Vaid. Too dangerous? She? Too dangerous?! What did they think she was? She was simply a girl that had been sent to the University to study. She didn't ask for all this....responsibility. All she had wanted was to study like a normal student and learn her own gift. She started breathing in panic, eyes wide and body trembling. She wanted to go back home, she didn't want to be saddled with the fate of a country, perhaps the fate of the world as she knew it. She didn't want to be here....but what would happen if she refused? What did the High Council do with mages too dangerous? She was uncertain. There had been rumors of the death of a rogue fire mage, but surely they couldn't see her as that dangerous. She could do nothing more than grow a few plants from seed and change the color of their petals...

Vaid stared at Lyra and recognized that she was afraid. He let out a loud sigh and turned away from Lyra, rubbing the top of his head. "Lyra I know this is sudden and I know this is a lot to take in. You don't need to be afraid though. The High Council won't do anything to you while I'm here. I will protect you with my life, I will set this entire forest on fire and watch it burn to ashes around me to keep you safe. There is something that you need to realize though. No amount of normal training and learning will ever satisfy you. Unless you learn what you're meant to learn you will always feel like there is something you're missing. You'll feel incomplete and lost. Once you start your training with us you'll be able to understand what I mean. When I first started my studying I was at the top of my class. I learned all I could and practiced all the time and still felt empty, unchallenged. Then my Master found me. He saw my potential. He saw the amount of energy I could control and recognized my creativity. He took me in and began teaching me runic when only the highest caliber of mages were even allowed to practice runic. What I'm asking you to do is what you've always wanted. I'm asking you to learn to master your gift, to truly master your gift." Vaid took a seat next to Lyra and let out another sigh. Marri stood up and walked towards the two, "He's right, Lyra. Just give us a chance to show you what you could be."

Lyra stilled, contemplating running. She looked around the room, shocked once she saw no exits. She would pretend to go along with this, she truly would. But, as soon as she was able she would run...run as far as she could. The words he had spoken...oh, it was true. So very true. She had even felt empty when studying with Master Daniel, but the fact that the High Council would have no qualms with killing her...

She felt faint, breathless and dizzy. They would never second guess killing her, Vaid had just confirmed it. How long could he protect her until they decided they had no use for her? How long until they decided that she was too dangerous to keep around with what she knew? Oh, yes....she would pretend...and then as soon as they let her alone in her room for the night, she would disappear. "Okay..." She whispered, knowing it would be something they could believe. She was calculating, already planning her escape. She would easily use up everything she had...every seed in her pouch that she had kept for emergencies would be used in her escape. She would find a hiding spot, a tree perhaps. One where she could see everything but could not be seen...

"Very well then. There are two parts to the magic you will learn. Now Marri and I manipulate the magic in the world around us. People with the Gift manipulate the elements. You, however, will learn to manipulate the energy within the elements. Turn a flower into a tree, a tree into a field of grass. Anything is possible. Now put your hands in mine and let me show you." Vaid turned to her and held his hands out again. His eyes pleaded with her to trust him.

Lyra took a deep breath, her hands shakingly rising to press against Vaid's. She looked at him, fear in her eyes and biting her lip in nervousness. "Then, will you let me go back to my room?" She whispered.

"If you want to go back to your room," Vaid smiled and began his work. Slowly the energy around the room began to thicken around everyone. Lyra's eyes remained closed and Vaid let the words fall from his lips to activate his spell. It was similar to curing burnout but instead of pulling energy though the environment into the victim the energy would flow though Vaid first, allowing it to be converted into a form of energy that Lyra's body could understand. This would simulate what Lyra would be able to do after a about a month of training, after she had learned to control the natural energies in the world.
"Lyra," the familiar voice whispered. "Lyra," the sound of the voice rang like a thousand bells in the distance playing the sweetest memory. "Lyra, open your eyes," this time the voice was anything but a whisper, the female voice rang clear and true as if the woman were standing right in front of Lyra. As she opened her eyes Lyra realized that she was not in the workroom any longer. Instead she was somewhere else, somewhere that couldn't possibly exist. She was standing in the middle of a forest, though it was one she did not know. The colors around her were more vivid than anything she could have every imagined, greens more vibrant than even the first grass of the spring, browns deeper than any night, oranges that seemed to outshine the sun itself. The air shimmered in this place and far away in the sky Lyra could see castles floating on top of cloud. Lyra looked around and noticed a tree with Vaid's face on it, he looked to be in complete harmony. The tree was the largest one in the area, large enough for ten people to hold hands and barely make a complete circle around it's base. "Lyra, it's nice to finally talk to you," a voice came from behind Lyra. She spun around and looked, standing before her was a woman. She was impossibly tall, at least six foot five, her hair flowed in waves down to her ankles and changed color slowly resembling the colors of the forest. Her eyes were a bright green and it seemed as if you stared long enough you could loose yourself in them. Her sink was a perfect, not marred by anything, and was a soft cream color. She wore a dress of leaves and bark that seemed itself to be alive too.

Lyra opened her eyes, the shock of seeing a strange woman instead of Vaid's familiar face making her jaw drop. She looked around, her fear turning into peace. She turned as she heard the voice, blinking at the strange woman. She shook her head, pinching her skin. It wasn't a dream, she yelped at the pain rippling from the forceful pinch she had given herself. "What do you mean, finally speak with me?" She asked, suddenly realizing how the woman had worded it. She approached, rubbing her hands over her face in confusion. "Wait, are you the source of the whispers?"

The woman gave Lyra a soft smile and chuckled lightly. "Indeed I am. I am the Great Mother. You've heard my whispers occasionally throughout your life, the whispers in your mind and in your dreams. I've longed to speak to you but haven't been able to. You weren't trained to be able to hear my whispers but because of that incredible and stupid Vaid you can be here now to speak with me. You must understand Lyra that none of these things just happened. You, Vaid, Marri, your meeting was not coincidence. It was planned by all the Gods and though our combined power we were able to make it happen. Come, sit. I have much to explain, though much of what I have to tell you will remain a mystery until the time comes for you to understand." The Great Mother motioned for Lyra to take a seat and from the ground two trees sprouted fort in the shape of chairs.

Lyra started shaking, looking nervously at the chair-like root. "He is very stupid...on that much we can agree..." She moved to sit in the chair, head going to her hands. It was suddenly aching considerably. "Please, explain everything...I am very confused...and if I were to be honest...right now I just want to run. I want to go and hide in a tree. I was already planning it all before stupid Vaid sent me wherever I am now..."

"It's too late for that now. Besides, you can't run from me." The Great Mother laughed out loud. "Lyra you need to find your inner strength. You can't keep running form everything. Maybe if this were twenty years earlier or even four you could run but the time for running is gone. What Vaid and Marri are asking you to do, there is more to it than even they know. I will explain what I can but our rules prevent us from telling you everything. We are allowed to dabble in human affairs but we cannot directly influence them. Telling you everything would be breaking that rule and the events that would follow would be... well lets just say not good." The Great Mother held out her hand an a goblet of wine appeared in it, she took a sip. "You must learn what they have to teach you. The truth about the Orcs and what they know, it's much much much worse than anyone knows. There are secretes hiding in their lands, dark secretes. If the three of you do not stop them then you will watch the stars fall from the sky. The Orcs will rip though the very fabric of your world if they are not stopped. This is the fork in the road Lyra. The choice belongs to you. Will you help Vaid and Marri and the three of you will lead the world to a Golden Age or will you run away, a scared and pathetic child, and watch the entire world burn? You can go and hide Lyra, the choice is yours. But if you do. The Orcs will find you, they will devour your soul, and there will be no one to hear your screams."

Lyra stared at the Great Mother, her brain hastily trying to absorb all the information. She shivered, not pleased by the idea of someone devouring her soul. "I...I will help. This does not mean I'm not still scared...that I won't try to run...but...I'll help." She put her head back in her hands, moaning at the ache she felt. "I'm not used to communicating like this...please send me back..."

"No. We aren't done yet. I don't think you fully grasp what is going on here. If the Orcs win Lyra the Gods will have to make a stand. We are prepared to destroy the entire world to stop them. But that's not important. I want to speak to you about a lighter matter. Look around at these trees, why do you think there aren't any tress as large as the one that resembles Vaid?" The Great Mother looked at Lyra waiting for an answer.

Lyra frowned, looking around and noticing the trees for the first time. "Because Vaid is powerful and an idiot to send me here? I don't know...but I understand what you mean about destroying the world. Look, I'll help and everything but I don't know what use I'll be...I'm a pretty useless person..."

"You are correct, Vaid is powerful. There is more to him than you know though. His tree isn't the largest because of his power, there is another reason. However, it seems we are running out of time. Just remember this Lyra..." The Great Mother's voice was slowly fading and the surrounds were slowly dimming. "If you are so useless, why would you have been chosen for such a task?" The light was now completely gone.
Vaid slowly let his hands fall from Lyra's and stared off into space. His eyes were half closed and his face was ashen. There was a small boom and all the energy in the room rushed out as fast as it can.

Lyra blinked, suddenly everything disappeared and she was staring at Vaid's ashen face. She was dazed, confused, and had a massive migraine forming. She felt herself slump, her head falling to Vaid's shoulder as her eyes closed. Why did she feel like she suddenly had no energy? She supposed it didn't matter...she was too exhausted to care at this point.

Marri walked over to Vaid and patted him on the cheek. "Not easy sending someone to the realm of the gods is it?" Marri had a large grin on his face, it amused him to see Vaid so worn out. "Sending her wasn't the problem. They talked forever." Marri laughed at Vaid, "I'm sure they had much to talk about. Did you get to hear anything?" Vaid could feel himself loosing consciousness slowly. He didn't fear that he or Lyra would suffer burnout, they just both needed rest, him more than Lyra. Vaid let out a small laugh, "You know I didn't. I'm not gifted and She didn't want to speak with me. She wanted to speak to Lyra. I was simply a mediation." Vaid feel asleep with Lyra still sleeping on him. Marri smiled, removed the wards around the room, and covered the two with a blanket.

Lyra sighed in her sleep, curling her arms around Vaid. She dreamed she was sitting in the highest branches of her favorite tree back home. The wind was blowing softly and the sun was falling on her. It lovingly soothed her and heat her through the chill she could feel stirring in the air. She hugged the trunk tighter, staring out over what her parents called 'her' forest. She had come to know every plant by name, color, size...everything that lay within the immediate vicinity spoke to her. And she once again heard her whispers, her name called on the breeze.

Vaid woke several hours later, still feeling greatly drained. He would feel this way for a few days and then he'd have his strength and power reserves back. He slowly lifted Lyra's head and laid it gently down on a pillow. Marri had left but on his way out he had activated runes to let him know if anyone tried to break in. Vaid walked to the window to stare out in the stars. 'You promised her...' A voice whispered in his ear. "Don't tell me what I promised her. I remember all the promises I give and I keep them."

Status
Not open for further replies.