A World of Our Own..... (taken)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a couple of hours of work, discussion, and argument the two hadn't gotten very far. "The problem is the power source. How is someone with no talent, at all, supposed to be able to draw enough power or transmit enough power from themselves to power the spell?" Marri walked over to the third board and wrote on the top of it 'Power Source?' and then held out the chalk towards Vaid. Vaid stood up from the far couch and crossed the room, taking the chalk out of Marri's hand. "So a power source. How about an external power source?" He began writing on the board, 'External Power Source', and listing out possibilities. "That is an interesting idea. We would need something that can store enough energy." Marri went to a bookshelf and looked at some of the titles , pondering which one he would need. "Well that's simple when you put it that way," Vaid turned and looked at Marri with excitement in his eyes. "Raw magic is soaked into everything in this world. We just need to test objects and things to see which ones can naturally hold large amounts of energy." Vaid wrote down the idea on the board. "Good idea. Now how do we test the amount of energy in these objects? Also what objects do we test?" Marri grabbed two books off the shelves, one about perception of energy and another about gems and rare metals. He walked over to the board and set the two books down on the tall table near the board. Vaid walked over to the table and grabbed the book on perception, opening it. "I think a gem would work but that could get expensive. How could we test other objects?" Vaid started scanning though the book until something caught his eye. The passage read: 'One who looks can see the magic in everything. This has been noticed in both gifted and non-gifted users. It was those gifted in the earth who discovered the rare earths. The Dwarves, who are most noticeably gifted in Earth Magics, have claimed that all things in the earth has it's own feel or sound. From plant roots, to dirt, to gems, to rare metals, each can be sorted though by the feel. It was the magic users of the raw magic that our earth is soaked in that discovered this energy. They are the ones who have discovered several places where magical energy is thick.' Vaid showed the passage to Marri and went back to the board. "Well I have an idea. What about finding a way to make the spells on paper made from trees that contain a large amount of magic." Marri looked up at Vaid with a disapproving look, "You're not in the Human lands anymore. We hardly cut down trees as it is." Vaid looked at him and made an apologizing gesture, "I'm sorry I forgot. I know that the Elves make their paper from the fallen leaves in the forest. So let's just find trees heavy with magic and harvest the fallen leaves." Marri smiled approvingly at Vaid and nodded his head. "Now we just need someone with a keen sense and connection with the Earth Magics."

• Love
Reactions: GreenLady
Lyra focused her attention on the seed fully as she put it in the dry soil. It grew easily and she grinned up at Daniel, feeling fine. He pointed to the next one and she held up a small black round seed. "Poppy seed. A hardy plant but needs considerably more fertile soil to grow properly. Used by healers to alleviate pain." She put the seed in the earth, straining a bit to get the second seed to bloom. She looked up at Daniel, a touch of defiance in her eyes. She picked up the third seed with a frown. "Bluebell seed. Very pretty flower and fragrant. More difficult to grow..." She stuck it in the ground and willed it to life, feeling her energy level waver.

She blinked away the fogginess in her eyes and reached out to grab the fourth seed. "Bird of Paradise seed...extremely difficult to grow. Rare flower." She put it into the earth, struggling to coax the seed to life. Her upper body slumped forward and she broke into a sheen of sweat. Her parents had never pushed her passed her limits. They had even coddled her and protected her from putting too much energy into it. Lyra recognized that now. She looked up at Daniel and he smiled when he saw that she had reached the conclusion he had within minutes of meeting her. "Ah, yes. You see it now, right?" He laughed. Lyra stubbornly reached out for the last seed, watching Daniel's eyes light up in surprise. She hissed out, "Sunflower seed...hardy flower, and not that difficult to grow if you know what you are doing..." Daniel's hand reached out to stop her but before he could she stuck the seed into the ground and convinced it to grow. She saw the petals unfurl alongside the other flowers and then she lurched to the side, passing out.

Marri and Vaid began to put their stuff away. They had an idea but they would need to submit the plan to a committee, get it approved, and then they could begin finding people to begin their research. The two of them headed out to the balcony and grabbed two glasses and some wine. They set the bottle down and uncorked it. They then used their magic to move the wine from the bottle to their glasses, then picking them up and toasting. "To a good day's work." Vaid drank about half his glass, "Yes a very good day."

Daniel cursed, unhappy his pupil had pushed herself so hard but proud of the fact at the same time. He sat there, staring at her and suddenly worried about her magical ability. If she pushed too hard, she could easily burn out. Natural mages were more susceptible to burn out than any other mage. He stood and looked at the flowers. She had talent, no denying that. Most of the students he gave this test were only able to get to the third seed. None even made it to the bird of paradise. He looked down at his student and suddenly wished there was a medical on staff. He spotted a student running passed and yelled for him to stop. "You, boy! Find me a teacher!" The student tried to interject but Daniel waved it off. "Can't you see I have a possible case of burnout? I don't care where you are going, or what you are doing! GO. GET. ANOTHER. TEACHER."

The two finished their glass of wine and walked back into their workroom. As they were sitting down on one of the couches there was a loud bang on the door. Marri got up and swiftly walked over to the door and opened it, a student stood there panting, "Master Marri a student might have burnout, you're needed in the garden." Marri nodded and closed the door as the student ran away. Vaid was already writing out the runic spell they would need to take the two of the them to the garden. "Coming with are you? Students here are always burning themselves out. They push too hard to impress their friends or teachers." Vaid finished writing out the spell and stood up, walking to the middle of the room, and letting the piece of paper go and softly float to the ground. "Of course I'm coming. It's better than sitting here by myself," Vaid said with a smile and pulled energy about them and into the runic. The two vanished and reappeared in the garden to see a small group of people surrounding two people on the grass. As they neared Vaid noticed it was Lyra and her teacher. "Step aside. What happened here?" Marri knelt down next to the Lyra and began looking her over.

Daniel fussed. "I was testing her...I did not even think for one moment that she would attempt to do them all." He was visibly upset, staring down at the Runic Master with alarm. "I have never had a student pass out on me...not in the first test..." He growled, beginning to pace. "She could very well surpass myself in ability and I could have burnt her out..."

Lyra opened her eyes slowly, seeing a few dark shapes flitting around her. "Did I pass?"

Vaid started chuckling at the situation before him, "Raised by Elves but a human is still a human." Everyone watching the spectacle looked up at him with strange looks on their faces. "What now?" Marri stared at Vaid in disbelief, not sure what to say. "So determined and suborn, she probably even knew she didn't have the energy to do the last one. Just couldn't let herself down. No Lyra, you didn't pass, passing would require not making yourself pass out." Vaid said to the younger woman, knowing she would take it as a challenge. Vaid moved his left hand, palm up, to his side and felt for the energy he would need. Suddenly the wind seemed to stop, the air thickened like syrup, and the light seemed to want to retreat away from Vaid. Vaid knelt down and put his hand on her chest and mumbled something under his breath. Energy began to flow from the air around them though Vaid and into Lyra. Her body would convert this raw magic into her own personal energy. However, there is a drawback to giving someone any size dose of raw magic and the strength of the dose determines how bad the side effects are. Some people have been known to become sleepy and sleep for days while their body processes energy, some people become high and find themselves full of power and a feeling of pure happiness and strength, some have even been known to lose their emotions and go on killing rampages. Vaid murmured another word and created a spark in the energy as he let it pass though him. The spark wouldn't do any harm, just when her body converted it into energy she would be filled with the pure joy and silliness. Vaid filled her to the brim, almost overflowing, with raw energy and then took her hand off her breast.

Lyra felt a hand move to her chest and a shock of raw energy flood her. She gripped the arm with fingernails digging into it. She would have protested and even pushed it away if the magic did not suddenly overwhelm her system. It was as if she had taken a dive into a pool of ice cold water. She gasped, eyes flooding with tears until a silly smile broke out onto her face. She lay there for several minutes, struggling to process the raw energy. Her body was devouring it hungrily, begging for more. Her eyes turned a brighter shade of green and the grass beneath her grew an inch longer before Vaid pulled his hand off her chest. She felt high, like she could accomplish anything.

Daniel watched the exchange with a frown on his face. "Looks like your student is quite powerful as well Marri..."

"I'm not Marri's student, I'm his coworker. I'm a master myself," Vaid wiped the blood off his arm from Lyra's fingernail wounds and healed them with some of the excess energy in the area around them. He then stood up and looked down at Lyra, she would prove to be an interesting woman. "She's fine now Daniel. That was good work Vaid. I especially liked the part where you temporary altered the flow of energy to make sure her side effects wouldn't leave her crippled or useless for days." Marri stood and brushed the grass from his clothing and looked at the girl once more and then back at Daniel, "Just because he is Human doesn't mean he is a student or that he isn't powerful. This is a discrimination you must shed quickly if you are to teach that woman." The two walked away from the scene, Marri dropping the paper and casting the spell this time, and vanished to the dinning hall.

Daniel's eyes widened at the realization he had just offended another Master but brushed it away at Marri's comment. He looked down at Lyra, eyes calculating. "You should have told me that you were too tired to continue..." His tone was harsh and reprimanding and he watched as Lyra jumped to her feet, full of renewed life and energy. "You gave me a test, I intend to pass it..." She walked over to the five flowers, brushing fingers across them and effortlessly changing their colors. Daniel shook his head. "And if you were alone in the wild, overworked yourself...what good would magic do then? Not even the greatest mages have learned how to prevent burnout...you are being cocky, we are done with classes today."

Vaid and Marri sat and at a light dinner and then said their goodbyes for the day. Vaid headed down to the main grounds to explore. He headed down a long staircase, passing a few people on his way. People were settling down for the evening so there wasn't much traffic. Vaid walked out into the evening sunlight and stopped for a minute to enjoy the wind. Vaid started to walk off towards a nearby grove of trees that had a creek running though it.

Lyra fumed, turning around and marching towards the dining hall. She was starving, a pit of hunger gnawing at her stomach. Her face glowed with the energy she felt but she entered the dining hall with a scowl on her lips. She sat down, a plate instantly appearing before her and covered in sweets and meat pies. She had the feeling that whatever magic was at work had sensed her mood and was trying to compensate. She ate angrily, taking large bites and glaring at those that came near.

Cocky? ME COCKY? How stupid can the man be! He asked me to perform a task impossible and I did it! I made all five flowers bloom before I passed out and he acts like its nothing!

Vaid waked around the bank of the creek picking up fallen leafs and putting them into a sack he had summoned. He figured that him and Marri could begin studying the ingredients to the magical paper they were hoping to make. Vaid sat on the creek for a moment and levitated some water into a variety of runes. One of them Vaid decided he would ignite. The water rune began to glow and then exploded in the air, sprinkling down droplets in a rainbow of colors.

Lyra was angry and waved her plate away with force. She took a long sip of the wine, slamming the glass down for more. She had extra magical energy to spare, she could feel it. It both excited her and alarmed her. She would have to work some of it off, or her anger would do it for her. The thought made her grit her teeth in annoyance.

That and the fact that after all these years, she had discovered her parents had helped her with the exercises the whole time!

Vaid walked further into the forest until he reached a small clearing. He felt around with his magic but didn't sense anyone in the area. With that done he set down his bag and walked into the middle of the clearing. The trees around him moved gently in the breeze. Vaid took a piece of paper out of his pocket and set it down the ground. He began to feed it energy and muttered the incantation. Slowly a black shadow floated up from the paper and took the shape of a seven foot Orc. The Orc roared in madness, immediately running at Vaid to kill him. Vaid rolled to the left and gathered energy around him as he did so. He came up from his roll and threw the energy at the Orc. The energy streaked though the air and hit a shield the Orc had magically conjured. The Orc grunted and then began to take large steps towards Vaid. 'I guess it's close range then,' Vaid put his hand together and began to summon energy and muttering incants. As he slowly pulled his hands away from each other a sword appeared. Vaid grabbed the sword and ran at the Orc. He swung his sword downwards in an arc and the Orc deflected it with his bracer. As his sword bounced upwards from being deflected Vaid dropped into a crouch and swept his right leg under the Orcs'. The Orc began to slowly fall and Vaid summoned up as much energy as he could and planted his hand on the Orc's face. Vaid then pushed his hand down and used all the energy around him to push too. The Orc's body hit the ground with a loud bang, the force of the attack making the ground around them crumble. Vaid felt bone and muscle break and tear under the force of his attack. Vaid stood up and whipped the blood from his right hand. He gazed at the Orc's broken body, it's face hardly recognizable now. With a snap of his finger the fake Orc vanished and the paper that summoned him quickly burned into ashes. Vaid grabbed his bag and began to walk back to the school.

Lyra was sipping on the fresh glass of wine that had been put before her. She sipped it before digging around in her pockets. She brought out a small pouch, opening it to reveal a half-dozen seeds she had gathered over the years. She put the daisy seed in the middle of the table, smiling in excitement at what she was about to do. There was no earth underneath the seed, just the tree that had been used to make the table. She knocked back the rest of the wine, growing giggly and lightheaded. She reached her finger out, brushing it across the seed. "Grow little one...let me see if I can do this..."

Vaid quickly arrived at the school and headed towards his rooms. He passed a few people along his way but the day lightly was slowly fading. Once in his room Vaid grabbed some paper and scribbled on it and the tossed it to the ground. He ignited the spell in it and vanished into his and Marri's work room. Marri wasn't there but that didn't matter. Vaid set the bag of leaves down on a table and muttered an incantation to keep them fresh for a while longer. Vaid walked out onto the balcony and looked at the forest before him. He knew he would be here studying with the Elves for some time and he hoped he would get to enjoy every minute of it.

The daisy fought to spring up for her, but before long Lyra found herself sweating in concentration. She knocked back another glass of wine, frustrated and cutting off her magic to it and standing. She walked angrily back to her room, slamming the door behind her before she plopped onto the bed. She was frustrated with herself. She had thought she could do so much more, be great....here she was, hardly able to make a few seeds sprout without her parents help.

Vaid whistled as he walked to the cupboard of his room to grab a piece of chalk. While he was up in the workroom Marri had visited him. Marri had just come to give him a charm in the form of a bracelet. The bracelet was made of various glass beads and enchanted to allow the user to magically travel in and out of the forest. Marri looked like he had been drinking a lot and Marri didn't even say anything to him. Vaid would see why he had been drinking later. Vaid found his chalk and walked over to a bare wall and began to draw. He drew a circle on the wall and wrote various glyphs around the circle. He then drew a line from the bottom of the circle down the wall and onto the floor. He then drew a box attached to that line and wrote various incants. These spells would hide the portal from other people's view and allow him to return later. As he finished Marri smiled at his work. It was Vaid who had discovered that you could ground the circle with the box and allow other spells to be cast on the portal itself. Vaid placed his hand in the middle of the circle and focused. The air around him began to shimmer, the wall inside of the circle began to slowly turn and shift as a new image formed. Vaid focused a little more and the image and it came into focus. Vaid stepped though the wall into a dimly lit street. Vaid walked down the street and took a turn and walked into a nearby tavern. When he walked in several people stood and came to talk to him. He was back in Syla for now.

Lyra rolled onto her side, sighing and falling asleep. That would be all she could do until Daniel decided to take her back under his wing. With what he had said to her, and how he had acted....she wondered if she had unintentionally screwed over her only chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.