A World of Our Own ~[Reborn]~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lyra followed, feeling energetic and lively once again. She was eager to learn and the disappointment of leaving the college. The potential of learning still remained although not under the circumstances first though. Her hands reached into her pockets and her fingers stroked the vials of seeds she had gathered. By slowly giving each a touch or taste of her magic, she found she could store magic in them for when needed. She looked to Vaid and Marri with a sigh. "Marri? Do you have a book I can read while I walk?"

"No I don't. Everything is in Vaid and I's safe room. You'll have to wait until the morning before I'll be able to grab you one. Besides, you should be paying attention to what is around you. Start trying to get a feeling what's going on in the forest. Reach out with your magic and feel what is there, but don't explore into anything. This could put you in a trance like state and it's possible to get lost and not be able to return to your physical body. Though do keep in mind, when you're using your magic to feel around your environment other things can sense that. Other creatures will feel it and may react positively or negatively. Also, almost any living being will feel it. Only those who have no ability to use magic, in any form, wouldn't be able to sense you. Any mage would instantly be able to feel you. They will be able to feel you and maybe even find your exact position, depending on the training of that mage, but won't be able to harm you. You won't be able to use your magic to ever get into anyone's mind. To access one's mind requires complete mastery over raw magic and knowledge of the complex runes and incants to do so. And even then there is no guarantee that this person's mind wouldn't trap you anyways." Marri told Lyra while using his teacher tone of voice. The three of them walked on, energies renewed. Lyra due to discovering she can hold energy and Marri and Vaid's due to Lyra's promise to be their student and quit fighting them.

Lyra nodded. "I understand..." her eyes lost focus as she delved into her magic and began exploring the world around her. Plants and wildlife sprang to life in a myriad of colors and she smiled as she closed her eyes. She followed the forms in front of her by sensing where they stepped on the fauna. She frowned at sensing the pain of the living plants and smiled at feeling their joy. She let out a sigh of wonder.

Vaid and Marri continued to walk in silence. The night was getting later and later but they had to put as much distance as possible between themselves and the village. Several more hours passed before Marri and Vaid finally stopped to take a rest. "Let's setup camp by that river over there," Marri said pointing deeper into the forest. "The moving water as well was the water saturated into the air will help keep us hidden while we sleep away a large part of the day," Marri said as he turned to look at his two companions. They both looked exhausted and Marri was sure he did as well.

Lyra gave a small smile as they reached a place to rest. She was exhausted and struggling to keep her eyes open. "Okay..." she mumbled, wandering in the direction Marri had indicated. She set her things down, rubbing her eyes and looking at the guys. "What do you need help setting up with?" Even her own sentence made no sense to her but she cared not.

"This time we won't need anything. Vaid is going to cast wards that will help keep us hidden and safe, from both humans and animals. Meanwhile, I'll be preparing a quick warm meal for the three of us to eat," Marri said as he set his pack down on the grass. He groaned as he stretched and bent over to touch his toes, his back making a strange popping noise as he did so. He straightened up and immediately headed towards a nearby tree line to look for wood to make a small fire. Vaid set his thing down between Marri and Lyra. He bent down and shifted around the contents of his pack until he produced a large jar of white sand. "You should watch what I do to get an general idea of it. It's pretty interesting after all," Vaid said as he stood and walked a few feet away.

Lyra nodded. "I won't be able to will I? My magic is different..." she watched none the less, her curiosity getting the best of her. She lay down with a yawn, eyes trained on Vaid. "Are you going to walk me through what you're doing?"

"No not this time. You're right, you won't be able to perform this kind of magic. However, it will prepare you for when you're learning it. That and maybe you'll see something that you can adapt to what magic you know now and what you'll learn later on," Vaid offered Lyra a smile. He open the jar and turned away from Lyra. Closing his eyes he began to slowly chant and pour out the sand. The sand bean to fall and stopped mid-air, about the same height as Vaid's knees. It slowly began to spread outwards until it formed a decent sized circle around the three of them. Vaid wrote some symbols in the air with his hand, they flared to life and slowly drifted away until they reached their appropriate position in the circle. Once the jar was empty and the circle lined with glowing runic Vaid was able to finish the incant. As he muttered the last word the runes flared briefly before dissolving into the sand. The sand slowly drifted to the ground. Vaid turned and looked at the other two. "Well we're safe for the night and morning," he said looking at Marri in hopes that it was time to eat.

Lyra watched the ritual with interest. She quickly grew too tired to care what else was happening and she moved towards her own area. "eeeehhhhh..." She curled up, snoring steadily.

Marri and Vaid at their food and enjoyed some light conversation. After a long day of travel they had no desire to speak of tomorrow and the trails that lay ahead. They stored away some food for Lyra to eat in the morning before themselves turning in for the evening. Before long they could hear the birds and feel the warmth of the rising sun.

((We are finally slow at work!))

((yay!))

Lyra woke early, rolling over on her side and smiling as she sighed. "Mmmm...." She seemed to realize she was on the ground, blinking as she sat up. "Huh."

As Lyra sat up she glanced over at Marri and Vaid only to realized that they were already up and looking troubled. After a few moments of stretching Lyra suddenly noticed that their surroundings had changed. She looked around her to take in the new scenery and ponder at how they came to this place. Vaid and Marri looked as though they hadn't been up very long which would mean that they didn't even notice the change while they were sleeping. Where the babbling creek that had lulled them to sleep the night before had been now stood a giant tree and a crumbling brick wall. The trees around them were far older and larger than the trees from the night before. Lyra glanced up and noticed that canopy had grown so thick over time that almost all of the sunlight was blocked out. "Well it seems that the staff found us while we were sleeping," Marri said as he stood up from the rock he was sitting on and walked over to Lyra. Marri extended his hand to her to help her up, "The staff also destroyed all of the protection spells without any of us noticing." Vaid rolled his eyes at Marri and offered Lyra a smile. "It stripped the protection spells away because there was no need. If the staff didn't want to be found it wouldn't have appeared. The staff must need us if it came to us instead of the other way around." Marri and Vaid could tell that their spells and runes had done their job, the strength and thickness of the magic in the area was far greater than when they first left the staff. Lyra hadn't noticed it earlier but now she could feel the magic. She looked around trying to feel the trees, or a leaf, or maybe a piece of grass, but all she felt was the almost raw earth magic.

Lyra ached with the feel of raw earth magic. It made her teeth ache and her skin feel like it was crawling with fire ants. She looked up at Vaid and Mary. "I can feel...the magic." She stood with a groan and stretched. Her magic felt renewed and reitalized. She felt healthy and whole again.

"Well let's get going," Vaid said heading towards a small path between two trees. Marri quickly followed and motioned for Lyra to join them. Once on the path the canopy blocked out almost all the light. Light was provided to them by small balls of floating green fire that hung from trees here and there.

Lyra followed at Marri's motion. She remained close to them, her bones jarring with every step. Her soul felt light but her body felt heavy with the magic. "Uugh." She fussed, eyes narrowing. She was highly suspicious of the glowing orbs and wondered if there were a catch to getting the staff.

After a short distance of walking the three came to what could be called a cave. There was a large space but all light remained blocked out by a thick canopy over head. All around them runic glowed softly on the trees, branches, leaves, even individual blades of grass. At the center of the room was a staff suspended in air by paper strips. The strips were wrapped around the staff and connected to the ground and tress. Green runic crawled across the impossibly white paper, constantly in motion, only remaining the same symbol for a few seconds before morphing into a blob and moving else where on the paper. The staff itself looked like it had been grown from five small tress that grew and twisted together around something. At the top of the staff sat a golden crystal that emitted a strong green light. "Luckily we laid all of these spells or we would have spent the day proving ourselves to the staff. So what do you think?" Vaid asked turning his head to see Lyra's reaction.

((Due to the fact I don't post as often I'm trying to move through the storyline a bit by not adding in extra stuff to do. That and thinking about the storyline and future things I might want to add, then knowing how far we are from that point, is figuratively killing me. As a published writer, does that happen to you when you're writing a book?))

((Yes. And it seems the more pressure there is for me to write, the less I actually write. Very troubling indeed))

Lyra stared at the staff, wide-eyed. She was surprised at what she was seeing and not believing the beauty surrounding her. The green stone seemed to call to her in some deep way. She moved slowly towards it, not realizing she was until she was almost there. It seemed as if she was too enchanted with the staff to stop herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.