A World of Our Own ~[Reborn]~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lyra stalked towards her things, mentally throwing a tantrum. Her parents had taught her to get to know her magic based on her emotions. Why did everything tilt and change so suddenly? She felt as if she could not keep up anymore. She sulked back towards the other two, contemplating whether she should truly travel with them any longer. If they did not allow emotions to get in their way, what were they? Did they feel?

She kept her eyes downcast as she answered. "Ready.."

The three of them crept silently out of the town in the dead of night. There were no lights on in the village and no sounds save for the sounds of the forest. It wasn't long before they were far enough away that Vaid and Marri felt that it was safe to speak of the situation. "Ok Lyra, we have two main tasks before us. First we must find the Staff of Ter'lin and then we must go and awaken the Heart of the Forest," Vaid said in a very nonchalant voice, as though they were off to a picnic on a sunny afternoon.

Lyra glared at Vaid, her thoughts boiling and seeping. How could he sound so detached? She schooled her features, nodding. "Sure, sure...." she reached into her pocket, fingers brushing over her worry-stone as she pondered her next few moves. She could continue along with these two...humans...was sthe best way she could think to describe them. Or she could simply go on her own. How hard could it be to find this stick thing anyway?

Marri glanced back at Lyra, noticing the angry look on her face, but he choose to ignore it for now. "First we must go to where Vaid and I have the Staff sealed before we do anything. Besides, Vaid, you don't even know if the Heart is where we sealed it away still. It very well could be on the Shores of the Endless Sea and that would take us a long time to get to, or at least to get to a point where we can use translocation incants." The three of them walked briskly down the road. As the three of them walked the sky slowly lightened as night faded into day. The sun pushed over the distant mountains and the birds chirped happily in the morning light.

Lyra ground to a hault, the words sinking in. "We don't even know where we're going?!" She yelled in frustration. She crossed her arms over her chest and shook her head. "At this point..." she bit her lip, trying to still the emotions boiling in her. Some of her magic escaped her firm hold, thorns and flowers mixing together as they sprouted with sudden growth.

"Why are we doing this again? What's the point if we're just going around in circles trying to find a stupid stick?!" She sat on the ground, refusing to budge in a sudden burst of rebellion. The sickness of the forest around her was beginning to wear at her. Her magic had grown while healing the village, but the toxins and death cleared from the forest was somehow trying to attach to her as if there were an enchantment on it. "I don't want to continue walking if you two don't know where we are going." She raised her chin in defiance, preventing herself from calling them the nasty words that slipped their way to the tip of her tongue.

((Yay!! The RP didn't close while I've been away =D))
"Lyra, get up. No one will ever know where they are going when looking for Staff of Ter'lin, that's the point. The spells we put on the Staff to keep it hidden and away from people causes it to move locations. The Staff has a certain amount of intelligence. The spell allows it to move, though it chooses where it moves to. The Staff only appears to those seeking it and then only if the Staff deems that person worthy. We've made it known that we are looking for the Staff, now we have to keep walking. It won't appear anywhere remotely near anything. So in order to find the Staff we must walk and eventually leave the road. Only then will it MAYBE come to us. If it feels our cause is not worthy or worth its time then it won't appear and our task will be that much harder," Vaid stared at Lyra as though she was an angry child. All around them the nocturnal inhabitants of the forest were fully waking

Lyra, usually one to squirm beneath an angry gaze, continued in her rebellion. "I don't care anymore..." she curled up as tightly as possible in her seat and stared straight back at him. Some of the plants around her withered and she felt exhaustion creep into her. "Just continue on without me. You two are more powerful than I am anyway so you don't need me."

"Suit yourself," Vaid said with a shrug and turned away from Lyra. Vaid slowly headed down the trail in the direction they had originally been going before stopping. Vaid didn't turn around to see what was going on behind him but spoke loud enough that she would hear him, "At some point in time you'll have to start believing in yourself and that's not something that can be taught. Do you really think we would make plans to drag you all around the world if we didn't need you?" His voice held no anger or malice in it. Instead, he sounded as though they were having a friendly argument about where to go for a vacation. Marri looked over at him but didn't try to stop him. Marri turned to look down at Lyra, who was still sitting, his face still cloaked in shadow. "We'd really like it if you'd continue on with us and continue learning from us. However, that's your choice. The path before us is only going to get longer, harder, and more dangerous before this journey is over. So now is your chance. Either go back home to your parents, as I'd recommend you never go to back to Katin and the University, or come with us. If you do choose to come with us though, there will be no more defiance and child like behavior. You do have potential, Lyra, but it's up to you to embrace it and to push yourself. We can only teach someone who desires to learn. If you need time to think about your decision then sit and think. Our connection spell will allow you to either catch up to us or allow us to feel you heading away from us," Marri turned away from Lyra to give her some time with her thoughts. He broke into a slow jog to catch up with Vaid. Once caught up they spoke in low voices together, smiles on their face. IT was very apparent that the two of them had been together for a long period of time. Even when walking into danger, to face a crisis no one even knows about yet, they could still laugh and feel at ease with one another.

Lyra glared at their backs, her mood sour. Lyra wanted to continue with them...she couldn't understand why she was angry with them. She put her head between her hands and started rocking back and forth. Voices danced around her head about her going back to the university and she shivered. She wold never think like that! Not after her lily was left behind, not after her torture. She curled into a ball on the ground, part of her giving up. She was beginning to feel ill and sickly.

She tugged on the bond she had with her lily, something tugging back. "Ahhhh..." confusion swept through her when she felt that bond darken. She rolled over and heaved as her world spun from the tug.

The two continued walking on though their pace was very slow. Around them the night was pristine, bright moonlight, only the slightest of breezes, and the forest alive with the sounds of the night. "How long do you think that it'll take us to get the staff to come to us?" Marri asked Vaid as he stopped to pick up a stone and tossed it in the forest. Some animal in the bushes was startled by the sudden intrusion of the rock and quickly ran away. "I'm not very sure. It shouldn't take too long for us to happen upon it though. The Staff already knows us and it'll have felt the Heart's decay. Even in the off chance that the Heart is fully consumed before we find the Staff then we'll be able to pull the Staff to us," Vaid answered Marri as they continued their walk. Vaid ran his fingers through his hair and sighed inwardly.
'You probably shouldn't have left her there.'
'There wasn't much of a choice. She needs to make the choice for herself and then fight to return to us. If not, we'll see her again at the Heart.'
'No. If she doesn't return then you'll never see Lyra again. For she'll be consumed.'
'Then she'll be consumed and we'll purify her from our plane.'
-Silence-

Lyra whimpered as she wiped her mouth, her hands shaking. She stood, staggering in the direction Vaid and Marri had gone. Pain lanced through the bond and she screamed. She fell to her knees, eyes wide and desperately searching. She reached inside of herself with her magic and severed the bond, seeing stars as she did so.

The pain echoed throughout her body and she whimpered as she felt the darkness try to grip her tightly.

((There have been three different times that I've sat down to write this, gotten about half way through it, and then haven't been able to complete it. Today I will!!))

Lyra's vision began to darken as she fought to take a few steps towards Marri and Vaid but the darkness felt like she was struggling to get out of a pit of thick mud. Slowly Lyra sunk to her knees, her vision almost completely dark now. Lyra began to fall over, feeling unconsciousness taking over. It seemed as if her body was falling forever, her eyes taking an eternity to close, and then she was completely covered in darkness.

Lyra felt a warm breeze caress her cheeks, the smell of water filled her nostrils, and she was laying on grass. A smile slowly appeared on her lips as memories of her parents and their home flooded her. Remembering where she was Lyra's eyes shot open and she quickly sat up to look around. She was sitting in a large field of grass that continue on past the horizon. Small groves of tress dotted the landscape and were far apart. Lyra could hear rushing water not too far away and so she stood. Some kind of music she had never heard danced through the air. Feeling drawn to it Lyra headed towards the sound of the music and water. After a while of walking she came to a large grove. Lyra quickly headed into the grove, the music getting louder and clearer. After a while of walking she broke through some trees into the clearing and gasped. In front of her was a slow moving pool of water that was fed by whatever body of water was nearby. In the middle of the pound was a large flat rock with a woman sitting on it. Her hair was a mixture of gold and sliver and hung down to her ankles. Her skin seemed to be a mixture of bark, stone, and a light teal color of her flesh. The thing that really astonished Lyra was the wings protruding from her back. Her wings were almost see through and shimmered in the light, they were folded downwards on her form. As the woman played strange creatures began to flock to her. They looked like miniature humans, similar to the girl before her. The flew around the girl, laughing and playing. "You must calm down everyone. I know that you're excited, as am I. However, Lady Lyra won't be happy if she walks in and is swarmed by fay," the girl scolded the little ones. Her voice was beautiful and melodic, it was like nothing Lyra had heard before. The girl looked at her instrument, made from rock and stone with several holes around it similar to a flute, "I'll give her a gift as she travels." The girl smiled and began to play. Lyra could feel the magic in her music, feel it as it filled the air and the slightly cloudy sky began to thicken. The girl continued to play and slowly large snow flakes began to drift down from the sky even though the day remained very warm. Lyra took a step towards the girl.....

"Lyra! Wake up damn it!" Marri yelled at the unconscious Lyra in his arms. Lyra's eyes fluttered open as she tried to focus on the two figures in front of her.

Lyra woke from her dream with a groan. Why had they woken her? She was having such a nice dream. She opened her mouth, tempted to tell them just that. "Nice..dream...woke me..." she shook her head, still feeling the lure of the music. "Pretty wings..." she frowned, wanting some of her own. Fay? She recognized the word from stories her parents had told her.

She closed her eyes again, wanting to go back to the music and joy in the clearing. All she was feeling now was numb to the pain of severing that connection with her lily. "They had lily...poisoning her...knowing it would come to me..." she mumbled, curling into a ball and wanting her dreams to come back to her.

((No prob. The new jobs been keeping me busy))

"Not a surprising tactic. We would have done the same thing to attempt to trace you," Vaid said to Lyra, though she was already asleep. Vaid and Marri had raced back once they felt their connection to Lyra being to darken and recede. They arrived to find her laying on the ground unconscious. Vaid began to chant the incant that would take them away while Marri knelt down and began to write in the ground. After a few minutes all three of them were gone and in their place a few counsel members and guards appeared. As soon as their feet touched the ground Marri's spell flared into life, unbeknownst to those being affected by it. The counselors saw nothing around them and felt no trace of the three they were hunting. Suddenly they felt the ground quake and heard a loud crack in front of them. Before them was a dark hole and slowly something with red eyes peaked out at the group of people. Suddenly rats began to swarm out of the hole, covering everything in a sea of black fur and blood red eyes. If people had been walking by they would have seen a group of people screeching at nothing and attacking the empty woods.

Lyra struggled to open her eyes. "Vaid? Marri?" She groaned, trying to sit up.

"Yes, we're here Lyra. What is it?" Marri asked, leaning in so that she might get a clearer look at him. Vaid helped Lyra sit up a bit more so she wouldn't strain herself.

She blinked, the remnants of the dream dissappearing as she did. Lyra smiled, reaching out and enveloping Vaid in a hug. "I won't argue anymore or fight you. Thanks for coming to get me...the Council..." she sighed. "They used my lily against me. They poisoned me!"

Marri muttered a short incantation under his breath and below them a circle began to slowly appear; as the circle grew to envelope all three of them it began to put off a soft blue glow. Vaid began a new incantation and as he spoke the word of the incantation runes flared to life in a bright golden as they spread in a clockwise fashion within the circle. As he finished the incant, the magic in the air was thick, as though the air itself would snap if put under the slightest amount of pressure. Marri and Vaid glanced at each other before Marri spoke the final phrase of the incantation. The air around them seemed as though it was rushing away from them, picking up dust and leaves as it did so. With the magic completely emptied from the air around the three of them it seemed as though it was void of anything, as if they were standing in a small space that wasn't connected to their magical world. The circle and runes began to fade, their intermingling colors signaling that the two incants were working together. The circle and runes began to fade and commingle until the outlines of the circle and runes couldn't be distinguished from one another until eventually the ground itself below was one glowing disk that was emitting a soft, shimmering, golden blue light. Lyra quickly noticed that as the glowing light below them she could feel her connection to her lily painlessly fade as well. Without the connection to Lyra the flower wouldn't be able to sustain itself. As a smaller plant it wasn't designed to live on its own without the ground, the only thing that had kept it alive was Lyra's magic. Lyra could feel the lily as it slowly faded from their world, she even thought she could hear the lily let out a sigh of relief. The sigh sounded like that of an old, impossibly ancient, person who was relived that they could finally rest.

Lyra dropped her arms from around Vaid's neck as the magic began to do its work. She let out a sigh of relief to echo her lily's as she felt the last pain from her severing their connection fade. She fell to her knees with a smile and was surprised when she felt a surge of magic hit her. Her eyes widened at the realization her lily was storing that for her.

Vaid and Marri could both feel the sudden surge of magical energy enter the area and then Rachel. The two of them slowly helped Lyra to her feet, making sure she could stand on her own before letting their arms fall to their sides and taking a step back. After a few minutes the three of them headed back towards the direction that Vaid and Marri of them had originally been heading towards. Though it felt like the three of them had been on that part of the path for hours the moon had barely moved, now it was only partially covered by the distant mountains.

Status
Not open for further replies.