A work in progress

M

Melia

Original poster
I've done art in many different mediums but rarely have I ever done them in color. Mainly because I can't paint. I can't seem to control the paint at all. While the act of it is fun, the results typically frustrate me. I typically use charcoal, mainly because I find it the easiest to control and I also have the most experience with it. Graphite pisses me off because it's shiny. I do very well using GIMP, but I don't like to use it because I can fix every single mistake I make. Which, while making the image look very sharp and clean, I would be so much more proud if I could get a similar result on paper, where mistakes are a bit more permanent. Recently I've also been experimenting with pen. Mostly for humor because with pen, you really can not fix any mistakes. So the images tend to come out skewed and hilarious. My tumblr friends have gotten a kick out of them anyhow.But today I said to myself, I'm going to try colored pencils. Real colored pencils. Prismacolors. I've been working on it for about four and a half hours now and I'm calling it a night for now, but I'd like to show my work in progress because I'm very pleased with how it's coming out.

tumblr_mc5uleLln11qe9f26o1_500.jpg

this is the image I'm drawing

tumblr_mc66wuPgnC1qe9f26o1_500.jpg

This was me laying down the outline. (It was hard to see the outline at all, so I adjusted the exposure of the picture just to pull it out enough to see it.)

tumblr_mc5z0dmaFS1qe9f26o1_500.jpg

Twenty minutes in and I was like "Dang, this is good!"

tumblr_mc659t3zie1qe9f26o1_500.jpg

And now this is where I'm at. Obviously there's still a lot to get done. And I'm unhappy with the chin and I don't know why. That's usually the point where I have to just set it aside and come back to it. It will probably stand straight out when I sit down again. Anyway. Yay! I'm really pleased with my first experience with colored pencils. I'll probably be using them again!