2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Douche
  5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Superhero, urban fantasy, space opera, crime thriller, supernatural
I've found, that in between my fits of hyperactivity and impulse hysteria, that I am almost constantly sad.

I've also often found, as many writers/readers/roleplayers may have also found, that as far as sadness goes, there's something liberating about words constructed just the right way. Sometimes it's an uplifting, hopeful quote that makes you see the bright-side, or a melancholic one that doesn't add to your sadness, but reconciles it, helps you come to terms with it for the moment.

What are some poignant quotes that you've found particularly resonant when you're down? Happy quotes? Sad quotes? If you feel comfortable with it, feel free to share why!

For me!:

"We are not idealized wild things.
We are imperfect mortal beings, aware of that mortality even as we push it away, failed by our very complication, so wired that when we mourn our losses we also mourn, for better or for worse, ourselves. As we were. As we are no longer. As we will one day not be at all."
― Joan Didion, The Year of Magical Thinking

"A single person is missing for you, and the whole world is empty."
― Joan Didion, The Year of Magical Thinking

Reactions: Draugvan and Dipper
Things that don't directly concern me affect me more than they should. So it's nice to be reminded that I'm not alone in feeling this way and that there's always a light at the end of the tunnel.

"Among other things, you'll find that you're not the first person who was ever confused and frightened and even sickened by human behavior. You're by no means alone on that score, you'll be excited and stimulated to know. Many, many men have been just as troubled morally and spiritually as you are right now. Happily, some of them kept records of their troubles. You'll learn from them—if you want to. Just as someday, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. It's a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn't education. It's history. It's poetry." - J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

"The most important things are the hardest things to say. They are things you get ashamed of, because words make them smaller. When they were in your head they were limitless; but when they come out they seem to be no bigger than normal things. But that's not all. The most important things lie too close to wherever your secret heart is buried; they are clues that could guide your enemies to a prize they would love to steal. It's hard and painful for you to talk about these things ... and then people just look at you strangely. They haven't understood what you've said at all, or why you almost cried while you were saying it." - Stephen King, The Body

"Oh, sometimes I think it is of no use to make friends. They only go out of your life after awhile and leave a hurt that is worse than the emptiness before they came." - L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Avonlea

"Among other things, you'll find that you're not the first person who was ever confused and frightened and even sickened by human behavior. You're by no means alone on that score, you'll be excited and stimulated to know. Many, many men have been just as troubled morally and spiritually as you are right now. Happily, some of them kept records of their troubles. You'll learn from them—if you want to. Just as someday, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. It's a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn't education. It's history. It's poetry." - J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

God I love the dialogue exchange between Holden and Mr. Antolini. I reread that part almost annually.

Reactions: Aero Blue
"There's some good in this world, Mister Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."

But especially this whole scene

Fredrik Backman said:
It's hard to care about people. Exhausting, in fact, because empathy is a complicated thing. It requires us to accept that everyone else's lives are also going on the whole time. We have no pause button for when everything gets too much for us to deal with, but then neither does anyone else.
Toni Morrison said:
This soil is bad for certain kinds of flowers. Certain seeds it will not nurture, certain fruit it will not bear, and when the land kills of its own volition, we acquiesce and say the victim had no right to live. We are wrong, of course, but it doesn't matter. It's too late.
I like sad quotes when they help me identify and give my sadness an outlet to go through.

Reactions: Aero Blue
"Because every time you see them happy you remember how sad they're going to be, and it breaks your heart. Because what's the point in them being happy now, if they're going to be sad later? The answer is of course, because they are going to be sad later." ~ The Doctor

It's lyrics of songs, but these really get to me when I am down.

I'd die for you
That's easy to say
We have a list of people that we would take
A bullet for them
A bullet for you
A bullet for everybody in this room
But I don't seem to see many bullets coming through
See many bullets coming through
Metaphorically I'm the man
But literally I don't know what I'd do

Wish we could turn back time, to the good old days
When our momma sang us to sleep but now we're stressed out
Both I'm sure most recognize from 21pilots.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Dipper
"Well, you tell yourself you did the right thing. And if you say it often enough, one day you might actually believe it." - Mr. Gold

Reactions: Dipper
I don't know. I have a really hard time making/ keeping friends around. I'm a complicated person, too stubborn and too set in my hermit-ways. -shrug- I'm also a Depressed, bi-polar/ PTSD/ seizure/diabetic filled emotional weirdo. there's that. Otherwise... I've maintained a great coping mechanism so far... WORK HELPS A LOT lol. Seriously though, I also take meds, and just try to get through each day. :D

"Stay gold, Ponyboy." That quote always comes to mind when I'm down. It's so simple, yet so meaningful and full of potential. That's probably why I like it.

:cookie:

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Quiet One

Last edited:
A word for my sadness....

Death would be kinder.