A Wolf Among The Sheep

Chuckling softly at her friend's eagerness, Luana nodded and patted her knee after releasing her hand, "I promise we will. Obviously I just need to stay here a couple days more before I head back to let my pack know what's goin' on. I need to talk to Tate about a few things, plus... I ain't too sure how he's gonna feel about me leavin' again so soon after comin' back. I don't want him to... worry, y'know?" Luana explained, hand lifting to her mouth so she could nibble on her nails.

That was another factor she hadn't considered. When she planned to leave at the end of the week, that was under the impression that nothing was going to work again between her and Tate, and that she would be leaving without anyone (except for Anders and Daisy) really giving a shit. However, now Tate had done a complete turn and decided he wanted to give things a shot... she wasn't entirely sure how easy it would be now for her to return to her parents and her pack, even if it was only for a few days and even if she went with Daisy.

She then hesitated at the mention of Anders, realising that Daisy hadn't witnessed the odd behaviour of her brother down at the creek that day. Luana quickly glanced to Ronan, who hadn't stirred, but by the sound of his breathing, he wasn't asleep with his head under the pillow like she originally thought. Clearly and obviously, the male was in no mood to talk.

"Yeah... yeah well we'll see, alrigh'? Things might be all good between the two packs now but we don't know how Anders might feel about other members of that pack, y'know? He might not really wanna face a few of them just yet. We can ask him once all the plans are in place, but let's maybe keep this to ourselves for now, yeah?"

Luana knew she was just sprouting a load of bullshit, but at the same time, she supposed it was true. They hadn't ever really asked Anders about how he felt towards the other pack about his experiences, plus Luana didn't want anymore people being 'invited' onto this trip before she had even had a chance to talk to Tate about things. The last thing she needed was for her mate to think she was planning some sort of secret runaway.

Her gaze flickered to the window above Ronan's head, watching as the rain finally began to patter against it. She hoped that everything had managed to get covered or taken inside in time, and felt slightly disappointed and useless that she hadn't been able to help. Of course she could have just forced her presence onto those members of the pack that were doing their duties, but she didn't want to disrupt the routine that they had, or cause a halt to proceedings because some people had opinions that they couldn't help but voice. For now, she knew it was better to keep out of the way.

So, as they waited for Tate (and potentially their portion of dinner), Luana rested her head against the top of the couch cushions and closed her eyes with a contented sigh, listening to the raindrops beginning to tap against the roof and windows of the hut.

Even if she believed Ronan was awake, Daisy saw no reason not to bring up her brother and excitedly envision a little vacation out of their pack for a few days - especially if Teddy got a taste of the adventure she had always craved. Granted, the girl knew she had overlooked the difficulties Anders might have in being faced with members of a pack who had once taken him against his will from his own.

Though no unnecessary violence had been conducted (the only bruises he received was from the initial struggle and subsequent ropes tied tightly around his body), that didn't mean the emotional pain hadn't tormented him; understandably so, given the fear she was sure her brother had been inundated with.

But she also thought he would be comforted by the fact that this was a pack Luana had been amongst for two years and, from what the other said, a peck that would be happy to properly meet Anders - they had hardly got to truly know him during the events of two years ago. As far as Daisy was concerned, such events were now in the past where they belonged: mistakes had been made and enough time had elapsed for them to move on.

And she didn't see a better way for Anders to move on then meeting the people properly, realising they were no longer a threat.

After all, he had got along with Ronan despite the man being an integral part in the kidnapping. Why couldn't he also get along with the rest of the community?

Though, recognising it wasn't her decision to make, she opted to rest her hands beneath her head and let the conversation fall into a comfortable silence, the only noises interrupting it being the raindrops outside - though even that had a peacefulness to it, with Daisy allowing her eyes to close to capitalise on the relaxedness she hadn't felt to such an extent for longer than she cared to recall.

She could only assume she drifted into a light sleep, drawing that conclusion when she stirred at the sound of the door to the hut opening and seeing no daylight streaming in as a result. Blearily, she peered to the window to see the dark blue hue of the early evening, appearing darker as a result of the sprawling rainclouds that had yet to cease providing the downpour.

"Everyone's 'aving dinner in their huts tonight, weather's too bad to sit around the fire," murmured Tate as he shut the door behind him with the sole of his shoe, doing his best to balance the various bowls and cups on the large tray in his hands - a task made all the more difficult as he simultaneously tried to usher Teddy in alongside him. The toddler, shivering slightly as she removed her raincoat, peered around the hut with wide eyes that naturally settled on Ronan, the desire to run up to the man and cuddle up to his chest for warmth naturally rising - but falling when she realised it would expose the secret she had promised to keep.

Despite every adult in the room knowing of that secret, Teddy (unaware of such a fact) instead brushed the dampened strands of hair from her face and settled down beside the fireplace.

"...Anders was in bed, wouldn't answer me when I asked if he was hungry, so... I thought it was best to take Teddy over here, get her some food," the alpha mumbled under his breath to Luana as he carefully set the bowl and a cup of water down for his niece, offering her a reassuring smile before turning his attention on setting the other bowls down on the table. "You've all been 'aving a nap, huh? Kinda obvious, no point denying it."

"It was warm in here, the rain was peaceful. Couldn't really help ourselves," shrugged Daisy with a loud yawn, eyeing the nearby stew as her stomach rumbled in response, as if to remind her of the hunger she hadn't satisfied much that day. "Stew, huh? Lovely, I fancied that; a nice, homey meal will warm us all right up, huh?"

After the business of the afternoon, it was rather enjoyable to be able to take a nap when Tala was having one too. Usually Luana would spend that free time doing jobs she wouldn't have been able to do when the child was awake - mending clothes, stitching an ear back onto the toddler's teddy, having quiet discussions with her parents about what jobs had been completed within the pack and what still needed to be done. So to be able to actually switch off and fall asleep was extremely refreshing.

She woke just as Tate was explaining that the pack wouldn't be eating around the fire, legs stretching out until her toes pointed in front of her, back arching and arms raising above her head. Her back ached slightly, due to the position it had been in while she and Daisy slept, but, still feeling dozy, she wasn't about to complain.

A lazy, sleep-drunk smile appeared on her lips as she watched the two new bodies in their hut settle within it, pushing herself up into a proper sitting position with a yawn as Daisy explained themselves. Her gaze flickered to Tala, who continued to nap on, and she was mildly surprised that the toddler still was. But she supposed the excitement and the activities of the day had tired them both out.

Gently picking Daisy's legs up so she could free herself from the sofa, Luana moved to wake the toddler up, who provided her mother a smile akin to the one she gave Tate moments ago. Her small nose scrunched up afterwards, however, as she lifted a hand to rub the sleep from her eyes. Luana scooped the toddler, who was still slightly needy and cuddly after her nap, into her arms and placed her on her hip to walk over to the table and offer her to Tate. The two-year old's hands had reached out at the sight of her father, hands opening and closing into fists in a clear sign that she wanted to be held by him now she had seen him.

After transferring Tala to him, Luana dared to reach out and softly rub the back of Tate's shoulders, smiling warmly before going over to Teddy.

Ronan had pushed himself up and swung his legs over the edge of the bed, sitting there and rubbing his face for a moment. The smell of food and the sight of his adopted daughter had him yearning to join them, but the fact of the matter was his mate hadn't joined them, and clearly something had been off since he had revealed his past to the two men. So naturally, Ronan was low in mood, uncertain as to what he had done.

"Why don't you go and give your Pa a big cuddle, Ted? He looks like he could use a special Teddy hug, y'know." Luana suggested in a hushed voice to the three-year old, sitting cross-legged beside her. At any hesitance, Luana smiled tenderly and reached out to stroke the back of the girl's head, "S'okay, Uncle Tate an' Auntie Daisy are super smart... they figured it all out with anyone tellin' them. So when it's just us, you can go an' give your Pa as big a cuddle as you want, okay? You just gotta still keep it a secret from everyone else though."

With both parents lavishing their daughter with moments of affection, from Luana holding Tala close against her hip and then Tate eagerly scooping her up into his arms with a playful ruffle of her hair, it was hard for Teddy to pretend that she wasn't immensely envious of her younger cousin. She had only known her a few days but those days were more than enough for a connection to have formed; for Teddy to befriend the younger toddler and feel the same desire to protect her as she did their other cousin.

She didn't enjoy the feelings of resentment starting to fester, shaking her head to herself as if that would somehow help shake them from her mind altogether, but she couldn't deny that the pain in her chest and the lump in her throat were, no doubt, growing more difficult to ignore the longer she was forced to observe the way Tala could so easily express the love she had for her parents - and have them reciprocate that love without hesitation.

Under the expectations of the secret she promised to hold, she wouldn't even dare to look at Ronan for too long let alone run into his arms and snuggle up close - and doing so with Anders had been all but impossible the last few hours, any attempt she had made to get his attention failing when he only seemed intent on sleeping (and when she couldn't climb up the ladder to the top bunk herself, she was left on the ground to keep herself entertained with her toys).

Cautiously peering across at her aunt's words, she visibly bit her bottom lip at the temptation they caused. If everyone knew about the secret, then there wasn't anything to stop her doing something so natural as showing her father some affection... but the emphasis Anders had placed on avoiding it, on keeping the secret intact, made her shake her head to herself again, her eyes falling to her stew.

"Can't. Papa said not to. He said-- n-not when-- people around. He-- He'll be upset if he comes in a-an' sees I broke my promise-- I promised. Can't break it," she mumbled under her breath, her words tumbling out in tight, constricted whispers, the ever-present lump in her throat doing little to help. She swallowed hard, using a curled fist to rub at her eye and prevent the wateriness spilling over her cheeks.

"...It's probably way more comfier over on the bed though. Your Papa won't be upset at you gettin' comfy and warm," murmured Daisy as she peered across at her niece with a reassuring smile, unable to help overhearing the shared whispers and feeling the urge to interject; to assure the toddler that her overcautiousness didn't need to apply within the hut, in their company. "Go on, do as your auntie Lu says; she's real smart, she wouldn't be tellin' 'ya you could go an' see your Pa properly if she didn't know it was okay."

"It's really okay?"

"Mhm. It's really okay."

It took a further few seconds of quiet contemplation before the risks were fully calculated and ultimately deemed not to overweigh the positives as the toddler grabbed her bowl carefully and, though impatient, took her time to walk across to her father, her smile growing the moment she was able to set her bowl down and clamber excitedly up beside him.

"Anders is gonna tell everyone soon, ain't he? I don't like seein' her get all stressed out like tha', it ain't fair." Daisy absently sighed, not seeking a deep, conversation on the matter but finding it impossible not to make a comment on it; not when the sight of her niece almost in tears at the unfairness of her situation made her heart ache on her behalf. With another sigh, this one at least more content, she eased back into the chair to dip a slice of bread into her stew. "So when's the beard comin' off, Tate? It really doesn't suit 'ya."

"...This again? Really? I told 'ya, I kinda like it; the whole rugged look. I look about twelve without it," the alpha responded with a roll of his eyes, which focused back on his daughter to devote a moment to helping her tear off some bread for herself. "Plus Luana likes it, don't 'ya? My new look? Fancy telling Dase that 'cos she's been on my case about it for months."

Ronan, much like his daughter didn't want to pay her too much attention despite the other two now knowing the truth behind his and Anders' relationship. Anders had given their daughter an instruction, and as such, Ronan didn't want to send mixed signals. However, that didn't make things any easier for the young man, as he, like Teddy, just wanted to have her close for cuddles. He had missed out on two years, just like Tate had done with his own daughter, but unlike the other man, Ronan couldn't do anything to make up for that lost time despite being so close to Teddy now.

While he thought over it in that short space of time, he began to grow frustrated and annoyed. Even if Anders wanted the truth hidden from the pack, Ronan felt that he should have at least told his family. That way he could have time with Teddy in privacy instead of even having to hold back there too. Because, in his mind, the truth of the matter was he and Anders were never going to spend any time alone with just them and Teddy while he shared a hut with Luana and Tala. Tate would always be a presence, even more so now he had made up with his mate, and that just hurt the time he could have been having with Teddy.

So, when he felt a dip in the mattress beside him, Ronan lifted his head, expecting it to be Daisy or Luana coming to talk to him. He wasn't in the mood for such chats, but at the sight of Teddy trying to clamber up beside him, Ronan's disgruntled expression melted into one of love and warmth.

He moved across so the little girl had more space beside him on the bed, even if that meant one of his legs hanging off the edge, and took her food to hold while she made herself comfortable. Once settled, he offered it back, but kept hold of the bread so she could concentrate on holding the bowl. His other arm moved to lay around her, gently holding Teddy to his side to offer warmth after noticing her rosy cheeks and dampened hair.

Ronan glanced up to the others and, catching Luana's eye, mouthed a silent thank you in return before focusing back onto his daughter.

Luana smiled quietly, watching the scene for a moment before pushing herself to her feet and moving across to the table to join Tala and the two other adults. However, Daisy comment about Anders telling everyone soon had the smile slipping from her face and Luana stared down at her food as she stirred the stew with her spoon.

"Hm? Oh-- well, I ain't kissed ya yet, an' everyone knows beards are all scratchy for that kinda thing." Luana answered, eyebrow raising as she zoned back in to the conversation, "Uncle Ronan grew some stubble before didn't he, Tala? An' Tala didn't like scratchy kisses." Luana leaned down to Tala and gently fluttered her fingertips across the toddler's cheeks, earning herself a giggle and Tala then turning her head to rub the sensation off against Tate's shirt beside her.

She pulled back, smiling with a chuckle at her daughter's reaction before her eyes drifted to Teddy and Ronan again. She bit at her lower lip, debating whether to say anything to the both of them now while Anders' mate and child was distracted. She didn't want Daisy to worry, but with Anders acting so strangely... it might be better for his family to be aware. Especially after what happened with Tate.

"Look... I... I don't want this getting out, so keep it to yourselves... but I think Anders' is reconsiderin' everythin'." Luana finally told them, clearly anxious about saying anything at all. With one last glance to Ronan to ensure he was too busy with Teddy to hear anything, Luana began her explanation about what had happened at the creek that afternoon. Her talk with Anders, their disagreement, everything that he had said.

Once she had finished, she looked between the two of them worriedly, "I-- I don't know what he's got goin' on or what's been happenin' while I was gone... but he don't seem to be doin' good right now. I'm worried about him."

For a moment in the hut, everything (as far as Tate as concerned) was progressing with enjoyable ease: Teddy was contently cuddled up beside her father, the conversation was light with moments of playful teasing being spliced in now and then, the atmosphere between him and Luana as amiable and natural, reminiscent of the times shortly after they first mated with one another.

Oblivious to the concern that had infiltrated his mate's mind and unwelcomingly settled there for the much of the day, Tate was perhaps at the happiest he had been for a long time - the scene was a simple one, a moment he hoped he would go on to repeat time and time again over the coming years, but nothing would ever make him happier than just sharing in the company of those he loved. His daughter sat on his knee, pressing affectionately into him, was such a simple sight but it made him grin with pride, the love he felt for her continuing to astound him whenever he was caught in surprise at its intensity.

He had been so focused on the family dinner and the enjoyment he was able to gather from it that, admittedly, he had overlooked the state Ronan had been in before his daughter's presence at his side, similarly allowing himself to forget about the worry he held regarding his youngest brother's situation. After all, Luana had made it clear that she would explain everything to him later that evening, when Tala was asleep in his hut for their sleepover.

He didn't want to torture himself with the fear that his brother was heading down a similar path he had once been on for longer than was necessary.

As such, her decision to reveal all there and then with Daisy present might be an understandable one, but the suddenness of it caused him to fall silent in surprise - well, that alongside with the final realisation that things with Anders were far worse than he could have thought them to be.

"I don't-- understand," he eventually responded, after an uncomfortable few moments of silence on his end, his jaw having tightened considerably in the effort to comprehend the barrage of information... though from his admission, he failed to do so. He relaxed his jaw as best he could, opting to take a drink of water to try and clear the sudden dryness in his throat. "Why would he be reconsiderin' his mate? Bein' here with the pack? He ain't ever... said anything. He's not been acting weird for the last two years either. He's been... fine. Quiet, subdued, but I figure that was because Ronan wasn't here. Nothin' he's done or said gave me any cause for concern, Lu, I swear; nothin' seemed... wrong--"

"That's not true." Daisy interjected, similarly having fallen silent at the confessions, though rather than spend the time stunned by them, she ran her mind through the last two years and how her brother had acted, whether there had been any signs of uncharacteristic behaviour to coincide a change of mind... and then she remembered one. "Six months back, I caught 'im in my healer's hut. Rifling through drawers, inspectin' every jar an' all of that. Stuffing some herbal tablets I'd made up into his pockets. He said he was just worried about Teddy gettin' a cold, wanted to build her immunity up, an' I didn't doubt that, but I-- still thought it was weird at the time. Him stealing, I mean. Like he was preparing to--"

"To get supplies together in order to leave." Tate completed, pausing a further moment before a disbelieving laugh escaped him, shaking his head firmly. "Nah, this ain't... he's fine, he's just-- Anders, he's always been an overthinker. He'll come 'round, put this nonsense to bed."

"An' him sleepin' for hours on end, that's normal? He's been doing that for weeks now."

"...He's a Dad to a young, energetic toddler. He needs his sleep."

"What about 'im pushing Ronan away; his own mate? What about that?"

"Just nerves, ain't it? His situation is different to everyone else's. He freaked out an' he's just got in his own head about everyone finding out is all."

"You can't keep explaining this away, Tate; we can't turn a fuc-- a blind eye to this." Daisy grunted sternly, calming the urge to swear and instead let a long breath leave, the quick back-and-for with her brother causing her stress to rise. A shame, she thought to herself, after the afternoon nap had done so much to relieve her of it. "...What do we do then? Sit 'im down, intervention-style? Talk to him? Just-- the family? I mean, Chester an' Lyle live in the hut with me an' Anders, they're bound to have noticed things too."

"I agree with Daisy," Luana agreed quietly, having leaned forward to rest her elbow on the table beside her half-empty bowl of stew and raising her hand to her mouth to nibble on her nails, "We gotta say somethin', Tate. I... he'll be furious with me for tellin' you guys all this but... but I couldn't keep this to myself. I couldn't get my head 'round it an' hoped you guys would understand. But now Dase has said he's been doin' that... who knows if he's been goin' in an' out of her hut other times too."

She felt uncomfortable being at any sort of intervention with Lyle and Chester around, especially when the two have not been quiet when it comes to their opinions of her. But she knew it would be something she would stomach if it meant figuring out what the hell was going on with Anders.

"He wasn't pushin' Ronan away last night, so there's somethin' goin' on, an' you can't go blaming bein' a single dad on his constant sleepin' - if Dase's sayin' he's sleepin' for hours on end... that sounds more like somethin' else."

Luana wasn't about to point out that she hadn't ever slept for hours on end when taking care of Tala. She slept when her pup slept, that was the rules of the game. A parent couldn't afford to take their eye of an awake toddler for even a second. And Luana knew Anders wouldn't do that willingly if he could help it.

Her gaze then flickered to Ronan, hesitating for a moment as she watched him interact with his daughter, tearing the slice of bread into smaller pieces for her to dunk into the stew. She smiled a little as he leaned down to take a bite of the piece of stew soaked bread Teddy offered.

"I'll tell Ronan all this when you're both gone and Tala's with you," she glanced to Tate so he knew she was meaning him and the sleepover they had planned for their unaware daughter, "Better for me to explain it all when it's just us, tell him what we're goin' do. He'll probably wanna be there when we talk to Anders-- I don't wanna overwhelm him, though. I... I wanna be there, but maybe this is somethin' for you guys to handle as a family. At the end of the day... Ronan an' me've only been here five minutes."

Did she want to be there to show her support when they talked to Anders about his odd behaviour? Of course she did. Would she suck it up if it meant being in the same room as Lyle and Chester? Definitely. But this could be something the siblings would want to talk about together, as a family. While Luana and Ronan were mates of family members, she was all to aware of the fact that their two year absence meant they may need to work up to that privilege.

She took in a deep breath and leaned back in her seat, no longer hungry enough to finish the rest of her meal, "Either way, somethin's gotta be said an' we've gotta find out what's goin' on with him. There's gotta be more goin' on in that head of his."

"Hold on, we're actually gonna go through with this intervention idea? An' none of you think there's... a problem with that? The chance of just pushin' 'im away from us even more?" Tate interjected upon realising that the idea seemed to have immediately gathered enough steam; enough for the other two to start discussing details regarding who would be present during the conversation.

He didn't know precisely what was wrong with Anders, with no amount of assuming meaning anything until he let them into what was going on inside his head, but he at least knew what it was like to be in a difficult place and feel constantly... pressured. To feel like he was always being watched, being judged for his every move; an inescapable, overwhelming cloud that followed him wherever he went - and ultimately soured the way he felt about those who encroached his space.

He knew they want to help, but when he already felt his body weighed down, their move into his space, their attempts to talk to him, only made him feel worse.

At least, that was how it had felt at the time. With hindsight on his side, and having managed to slowly rebuild his life and climb out of the darkness he had felt submerged in for the longest time, he knew talking was the only way things would start to improve. It wasn't easy, and he had absolutely resented letting anyone know he had an issue (so much so he had ended up thinking death was an easier way to cope with everything going on in his mind) but he knew opening up, letting those who wanted to help into his life, was how things would gradually get better.

And even if he feared pushing Anders further away, as was always a risk, he couldn't, and wouldn't, allow his little brother to feel so lost that he took the same course of actions Tate had once followed.

There was no way in hell would he let that happen.

"I-- nah, I guess you're right," he thereby relented as he rubbed the back of his neck for a moment, his gaze hardening as his brows furrowed. he didn't envision any conversation with his brother going well, but it was necessary to ensure Anders didn't think he was alone in whatever he was dealing with. "He's always... withdrawn, been quiet; it's important we talk to 'im but-- I ain't gonna do that without you there, Lu. You're family, you gotta be there with us. Doesn't matter if you've only been back a few days. You're my mate. You're my kid's mother, an'-- an' Anders' best friend. I don't just want 'ya there; I need you. So will he."

He broke out of his concentration (albeit one tinged with concern) in order to reach for his mate's hand, offering a gentle squeeze for his sake as much as her own.

"When are we gonna speak to 'im then? I... I reckon it had better be sooner rather than later, before he gets any ideas an'... does somethin' dumb by trying t' leave or... or somethin' else, I dunno."

Her lips pulled up into a small smile of her own as he reached out for her hand, and with the simple movement of her thumb, Luana kept a hold of his even after the squeeze he provided. In the privacy of the hut and with the topic they were discussing, she just wanted to hold onto him for as long as she could. She could only imagine it wasn't an easy idea for him to have in his mind: his brother potentially going through the same thing as he had how ever long ago. It was difficult for her to swallow, and Luana hadn't sunk that low during her two years away. She had developed her pinching and scratching habit as an unhealthy coping mechanism, but not once had she considered suicide like Tate had.

She hadn't been around to stop Tate from feeling so low, so she was determined to make sure Anders didn't choose that dangerous path too.

Her thumb stroked softly along the length of his as she tried to consider, with the both of them, what was best to do in regards to talking to Anders about what was going on. Her free hand once more raised to her mouth so she could bite on the nails, eyes wandering to Ronan and Teddy as she tried to figure it out herself. The second worry she had was if Ronan should attend, and if so, who would look after Tala. At least they knew Teddy had the love and devotion of the pack, and while Tala would probably receive the same treatment because of her being Tate's daughter... it made Luana extremely uneasy thinking of her daughter being left with someone who had made it clear their dislike for Luana's return.

There was Sasha, of course, but with the woman having to tend to a baby that was only a few months old, she wasn't sure it would be fair to dump two toddlers on her lap too.

"Maybe... maybe tomorrow morning. Like you said, better sooner rather than later, right?" She reiterated, turning her gaze back to the two Rivers siblings and lowering her hand from her mouth to the table, "But... but we gotta find someone to look after Teddy an' this one," she nodded her head towards Tala as to not accidentally earn her daughter's attention, "'Cause Ronan's gotta be there for this too."

"Ronan's gotta be there for what?"

Luana exhaled, brow furrowing as Ronan held Teddy in his lap after joining them at the table. The other male looked between the three adults, eyebrow raised, and let go of Teddy so the toddler could jump down from his lap. Tala soon squirmed to do the same, although lacking in the grace and balance her cousin had, before heading over to sit in front of the fire and play with Teddy.

"Now don't be thinkin' I hadn't noticed you three whisperin' and conspirin' over here. What's goin' on?"

Having been so absorbed in their conversation, which only heightened the concern he had for his brother (mostly how he would react to feeling cornered despite their best intentions), Tate hadn't focused too much on the other man's approach. He knew he would have to eventually bring Ronan into the conversation and detail what their plan was - there was no way he would willingly cut out his brother's own mate from something as important as getting to the bottom of Anders' troubles.

However, there were much better ways of proposing the idea to Ronan than inadvertently having him wander across and discovering the secretive whispers involving his name without any understanding of what was happening. It only made things awkward, with Tate's mouth opening and shutting again in quick succession as he struggled to find the words to reply with.

It wasn't easy to discuss there potentially being something wrong with Anders in the first place, so to have to emphasise that point after such awkwardness inevitably made the alpha temporarily flounder for words that had suddenly betrayed him.

Fortunately, Daisy seemed far more prepared to respond than he was.

"We're going to talk to Anders tomorrow mornin'. Lu said he's been actin' weird an'-- she ain't wrong, he's been acting like this for six months now. Gettin' worse, if anything. He doesn't leave his bed, an' if he does, he's wandering off from the pack. We figured we'd all talk to him; the whole family," she began, voice controlled and strong though her face softened as she peered across at Ronan, her smile caving to the sympathy she felt bubble up within her. "We'll figure out what's wrong, y'know. If we just... make 'im realise we're here for 'im, that we ain't judging, he'll... open up; we can help him. Obviously you ought t' be there too, Ronan. We don't wanna do this without 'ya."

"You don't have to if it's too... difficult or whatever, but the offer's there. The others don't know about you an' Anders yet, but they don't have t'. Gio, Lyle and Chester-- we'll just tell 'em you guys are good friends, they won't bat an eyelid if you're there then. Besides, caring about Anders, making a breakthrough, will probably be the priority anyway so-- so you should be there. If he needs help, if there's somethin' troubling him-- as his mate, you have the right to be there to help him," added Tate once his mind cleared enough for words to form, dropping all the hypotheticals from earlier conversations. There was little point in trying to be subtle and vague when Anders was... dealing with something potentially troubling.

That took priority. He wasn't going to waste time tiptoeing around a truth they both knew he had figured out already.

"How's he been with you? Been pushin' you away?" He asked with a gentler tone, returning his attention back to the other man after pausing momentarily to take in the sight of Teddy and Tala playing happily nearby, oblivious to the seriousness of the adults' conversation. "...It ain't anythin' you've done, he's... been weird for a few months now, I guess."

It was rather overwhelming, receiving the answer that he did. It wasn't something he expected to walk into, the notion that an intervention of some kind was about to be staged for his mate, especially when it seemed everything had been settled and agreed upon without him being presence. It irked him, in a way, with Anders being his mate and Ronan feeling that he had a right to provide an opinion before any decision had been made. However, it was the explicit relief that filled him, grateful that he wasn't just imagining things and Anders had been acting weird that day alone, that kept him from voicing such irritations.

"Thank fuck you guys noticed it too." He murmured, keeping his voice hushed so the two youngsters didn't hear the cuss, "'Course I wanna be there, fuck what your brothers do or don't know. Besides, if they're half as quick as you both are, they'll figure it out the moment I turn out to a participant to this little intervention you got planned."

Ronan sank back into his chair, exhaling heavily and rubbing the back of his neck, his eyes flickering up to rest on Tate for a moment. He gave a hesitant smile, hand stilling on the back of his hand, "I know we were talkin' all hypothetical back at the creek but... thanks... for bein' so... cool about this. I, uh, I know we ain't had the best start when all this kicked off but you, uh, you ought to know it means a lot to have your support on this. Both of you," he glanced to Daisy to include her, "It just... it, uh, it makes things a lot easier, an' just... an' just happier."

He then gave the alpha his full attention, sitting up and leaning forward to rest his elbow on the table with his hand still on the back of his neck, meaning his head was bowed slightly as he thought.

"I-- I mean yeah... yeah kinda. He, uh... wouldn't let me walk next to him on the way back. Before though... before things were fine, like he... he reached out for my hand-- not obviously, y'know, 'cause you didn't know. Like, fuck, it sounds so stupid now but we just... our little fingers touched. Then-- he got all cold on me after I... after I told you about my past." Ronan looked between them all, brow furrowed worriedly, "Are-are you sure it ain't me? Like, I, ah, I've been terrified I've scared him off, cause of what I said. Not off me but just... off tellin' everyone."

Luana quietly reached out to place her free hand over Ronan's, resting it over the curled up fist of his that had balled up on the table. He looked to her and took in a deep breath, removing his hand from the back of his neck and placing his other hand over hers. "But-but you say he's been actin'... actin' odd for a few months? So-so maybe it ain't me? To some degree, anyway?"

Given the potential seriousness of the situation, and now with a chance to talk openly about it with perhaps the single most important person in Anders' life (Teddy aside) present to contribute, Tate didn't think any time ought to be wasted... but he couldn't Ronan his right to speak. He could only guess how he and Anders had possibly predicted him to react to the news of their union - but he imagined they thought there would be a lot of anger, disgust and judgement of the validity of it.

He couldn't necessarily blame them for that when he had proven himself to be ignorant of others - and ruthlessly stubborn in such opinions, as Luana could attest.

He was just glad to have had the opportunity to put that assumption -that he would look down on his brother's relationship and unfairly invalidate its authenticity- to bed; to prove that he was many things, but would never be capable of such cruelty. If his brother was happy, he was happy.

And the fact Anders was suffering at the moment, therefore, made Tate uneasy - but he spared a moment to smile across at Ronan easily, not wanting to leave the kindness of his words hanging in the air, unanswered.

"Hey, s'all cool, man. I mean, I ain't gonna sit here and pretend I'm some angel who only says nice, polite stuff, but I'd always accept you an' Anders'
relationship. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's just... y'know, nice to know he's found someone who makes 'im happy. Which is why him actin' the way he is right now hurts me. He should be 'appy, enjoying being back with 'ya, not... sleeping the day away and skipping meals, it ain't right."

He lowered his own voice to ensure the toddlers were spared from picking up on any part of the conversation, knowing that, despite their tender ages, they weren't naive. After reassuringly sending Teddy a smile upon her curious glance across at the huddled adults, he waited a moment to ensure she wasn't about to toddle across to them before deeming it safe to continue.

"I... did think that maybe your story kinda... I dunno, alerted him? Maybe he was scared about the same happening to you again? Or 'im? That the pack would... throw you guys out, I dunno. What I do know is that it really ain't you, Ronan. Like Dase said, he's been actin' weird for a few months now. She's noticed it more than I have, though--"

"Chester and Lyle too. We all still share the hut so... we see 'im sleeping into the day or... or sneaking out at night to take a walk 'round the camp. An' I caught him stealing healing supplies which... he'd never do. He's not a thief, he's-- too sweet for that, so... he must 'ave been desperate, but that only brings up more questions than answers, like... like why's he so desperate in the first place that he thinks stealing from me is... worth the risk," interjected Daisy, offering up the information about her brother's past thieving so Ronan was aware of it; keeping the detail back from him when they all knew about it didn't feel right when he had the right to know what was going on with his mate.

"We'll talk to him tomorrow mornin'," reiterated Tate with a firm nod for emphasis, before continuing; "and I know it ain't gon' be easy but we gotta have that chat, right? I'll, uh... talk to Gio, he ought to know what's going on too."

"Tomorrow mornin'." Ronan reiterated quietly, nodding along with what was being said. It was a lot to take in, having gone from being blissfully unaware of his mate's turmoil only moments ago and them even planning to announce their relationship to the pack the night before... to suddenly feeling as though he was on the brink of losing Anders altogether. "I... I can't lose him again. Y-you know? Like... like two years was tough enough. What if he... what if he leaves an' never comes back?"

Luana glanced worriedly to Daisy and then to Tate, however lingering there for a moment as she studied her mate. It was hard to imagine being in the same position as her friend in that moment. To be granted that second chance with her mate only to see it teetering on the edge of survival. Immediately all she wanted was to be held by Tate, to have his arms wrapping around her and just simply be enveloped in his scent. However, she knew she couldn't. Both due to Ronan needing her and also because things still had to be kept quiet from the pack.

Clearing her throat, Luana looked back to Ronan to squeeze his hand, "That ain't goin' happen. We'll find out what's goin' on, alrigh'? I promise." She assured him, taking her hand from his to gently rub across the back of his shoulders.

"An' what about Teddy? An'-an' Tala? Who's goin'ta look after them while we're doin' all this? We can't leave 'em." Ronan continued anxiously, "There's no chance in hell I'm leavin' them with anyone I don't know from this pack-- not after what happened to Lu."

Her cheeks flushed and she quickly kicked Ronan under the table, which left him frowning confusedly at her, "What? We all know what happened, it ain't a secret. We don't need no hypothetical cases around here."

Shaking her head at him, Lu dropped her gaze to her hands before raising it back to Daisy and Tate, struggling for a moment, "He's right though. The only person I feel comfortable with havin' them is Sasha but she's already busy with the baby an' I don't wanna add extra stress onto her. A newborn is tough enough on its own, let alone with two tods to run around after too."

Being the only one at the table oblivious to the true cause behind Luana's injury, Daisy was alone in her confusion at Ronan's words... or she was, up until she connected the dots and stumbled terrifyingly onto the realisation herself. It wasn't too hard to determine the truth when considering Luana's slight panic and the wary glance Tate directed across at her, so once she had come to the conclusion that Luana's bruising wasn't just some accident as she had been told, it was hard to sit quietly and pretend she hadn't made those connections.

She partially understood why Luana had kept it to herself as much as she could because knowing what members of her own pack had done was news that caused Daisy a great deal of misery, anger and hurt - ultimately, Luana would seek to spare her that, as well as ensuring the perpetrators of the attack didn't become more vicious if she did start revealing what they had done to her. It made sense for her to hold the secret close as much as she could--

But it didn't sit well with the younger girl to be left in the dark, regardless of the thoughtful intentions behind it - and more so when Ronan and Tate clearly already knew the truth. She could only assume that Anders did too which left her momentarily silent, trying her best to compose herself and not take being left out of the loop to heart.

Even if she just felt like she was a child needing to be protected from bad news. She knew, deep down, that wasn't the case; that Luana treated her like the adult she was (unlike her brothers who continued to act as though she was still a kid) but it didn't stop those feelings from arising.

For now, however, she had to force them down and focus on Anders, that situation holding far more priority than a few of her hurt feelings.

"I'll watch the kids, I-- I'd want to be with you all, talkin' t' Anders, but... I don't mind stepping back an' keeping an eye on those two if there ain't anyone else in the pack who you'd feel safe leaving 'em with, that's fine. Just tell Anders I'm watching 'em, I don't want him thinking I wasn't there to help him because I don't love him or something 'cos that's-- obviously not true."

"...I mean, I'd rather you look after 'em than anyone else. Tala's gonna be sleeping in my hut tonight, we'll be havin' a little sleepover, so you can look after her an' Teddy there-- keep 'em distracted over breakfast while we talk with Anders." Tate added, smiling appreciatively to his sister. It wasn't ideal to make her step back from the plan - but she was someone he trusted wholeheartedly. When Luana neglected to give the names of her attackers, he couldn't honestly say he trusted his own pack right now, and similarly to Ronan, he wouldn't willingly hand his daughter into their care.

He could only trust his family at this point, and when Sasha was caring for her son, it required someone to make the sacrifice of stepping back from the intervention - and evidently, Daisy was prepared to do so.

"Dase, y'know I'd want you there too, I'm sure--"

"It's not about me, you don't need to make me feel better. I'm not going to go poutin' about not being there. I'd love to support him an' make him know he has me to rely on, but-- all that matters is Anders right now. It doesn't matter if I'm there or not; as long as you make a breakthrough and get 'im to realise he's not alone. That's-- That's the priority; not me."

"No." Luana disagreed, shaking her head immediately despite the two siblings seemingly having already settled the matter. She pressed her hands palms down flat against the surface of the table, "I... I ain't likin' that either. Dase, you're his sister, you have more than a right to be there. I ain't lettin' you take a step back when you know what you've seen over the last six months."

She hesitated before shrugging, clearing her throat, "Truth of the matter is that I ain't been here an' I haven't been seein' what you guys have been seein'. Ronan's'is mate, so he needs to be there an' so do the both of you. So if anyone's not goin' an' stayin' behind, it's me. I ain't gonna have it any other way." Luana peered across to Tate, pausing again since he had made it known how much he wanted her to be there a moment ago, "Honestly, I'd prefer it that way. I can spend the mornin' with Sasha, we can all look after each other while you lot are sittin' 'im down."

Eventually she looked back to Daisy, Ronan's gaze focused on his own hands as he allowed the others to decide what to do, his mind on Anders. He didn't want to speak up, purely because he didn't want to accidentally lose his spot with being there for Anders - not that he would, he knew that reall, but by this point his anxiety was too high to think rationally.

"Don't argue with me on this, Dase, please. I wanna be there for Anders, of course I do, but you guys have seen him deteriorate over the last few months, you need to be there to get the answer from him." She continued eventually, sitting forward in her chair.

"She's right, ya ought to be there, Dase." Ronan finally spoke up, his voice quiet, "An'... an' it does make sense. If Lu goes... he'll play it off as us all overreacting to whatever Lu's told us. But if we go, just your family an' me... with examples of what he's been doin' that's got you all worried... it'll be harder for him to... y'know, shrug off."

Luana studied Ronan for a moment before finally giving Tate and Daisy her attention again, "I can be in the hut with Sasha an' her kid, we can look after them all together. That way I ain't on my own an' the girls are bein' looked after by someone you trust too."

Despite the statements made to prevent her arguing against the decision, Daisy's mouth had happened regardless, determined to counter them and insist that the original proposal -that she be the one to remain behind- should remain intact. Yet, she, in reluctant recognition of the fact Luana had made her mind up, allowed her mouth to shut once more and slumped down in her resignation.

There was nothing she wanted more than to be present for Anders in his time of need, but it was a desire she knew Luana would undoubtedly hold too given the fact she had always been close to Anders. Hell, the man was probably the first person in their pack to approach with kindness; regard her as someone who needed a friend, rather than the enemy who ought to be stripped completely of them.

He had helped her when she needed it the most, so of course she would want to do the same for him - and yet, Daisy now felt like she was taking that place from her, forcing Luana to sit the all-important intervention out.

That guilt wasn't fair, with Luana having been the one to offer her place up, but the younger girl still found herself frowning in upset at it.

Nevertheless, such quibbles weren't important in the grand scheme of things.

Only Anders, and his happiness, was.

"Right, can we, uh... eat the rest of the dinner trying not to dwell on all this stuff? Not that it ain't important, 'cos it is, but... there ain't much more we can do now until morning, is there? Getting all upset thinking up why he's been down lately is-- it ain't helping anyone. We'll get to the root cause of his problem tomorrow but for now, there's nothing more we can achieve by talking about it, other than making assumptions that might not be accurate," concluded Tate with a quiet smile, setting his now empty bowl aside as a content sigh escaped him. The meal hadn't been enjoyed in the best of atmospheres, but he could at least take a moment to appreciate the hard work that went into the stew - and thus, he made a note to himself to thank the cooks for it when he saw them next.

"If all goes well with Anders tomorrow an' you're feelin' alright after that whole conversation-- we'll be goin' on a hunt. I'm hopin' to get one or two stags, so you should come with us, Ro. You can sit it out if Anders needs 'ya, that ain't a problem, but the offer's there if 'ya fancy it. If not, I'll, uh... drag Gio along."

"Why don't... why don't I come?" Luana suggested, although her voice was small and quiet, as if uncertain about the proposal herself. She tore her gaze away from the two toddlers who continued to babble and play by the fire, it having fallen there during Tate's request to move on and his offer for Ronan to join the hunt. "I- I mean if Ronan stays around with Anders tomorrow. Gio can stay an'... watch the pack an' I can maybe... begin workin' back into some good books."

She knew she had to be integrated back into the pack eventually, and while it would leave her feeling uncomfortable for some time, she knew she would feel safer with Tate at her side. Of course that went for Daisy and Anders too, but at the end of the day, the pack would obey if Tate told them to back off. The pack, while respectful (or seemingly so) of the two youngest Rivers siblings, she knew anyone who wanted their opinion known would continue to bite regardless of what the two said. Luana would feel safer, and perhaps even a little more comfortable, with Tate by her side.

"I'll keep quiet, do what you say an' just be a part of the team. I gotta get back out amongst them sooner or later, Tate. A hunt might be... one of the better ways to start gettin' back into the pack."

Ronan watched Luana carefully, a muscle in his jaw tightening at the prospect of her going out with members of the pack. Potentially those who had hurt her in the first place. "Yeah, or better ways for them to make themselves 'eard. Wolves have sharper teeth than humans, Lu." He muttered.

Her head turned to glare at him, shoulders hunching slightly, "An' I'm stronger than they remember. Shit--" She cast a weary glance to the two little girls before lowering her voice and continuing, "Shit might've happened before but I won't let it slide again, not if me an' Tala are stickin' around now."

He snorted softly, sitting forward and bowing his head quietly, thumb tapping against the other as his hands remained entwined by the fingers, "Shame you didn't think that last night."

Luana released a soft growl in warning and Ronan raised his hands in submission, leaning back against his chair. Huffing, she caught Daisy's eye as she looked back around to Tate, pausing when she did. "I didn't wanna worry you. You an' Anders already have a bad image of your pack since I've been back an' I didn't want to ruin things more for you." She explained softly, anxious to make sure the younger woman understood, "Besides, Anders an' Ronan only knew cause they were in the hut after it happened an' Tate here wouldn't let the fuckin' matter die."

Tate raised a brow at the quietness of his mate's words; so hushed that he could have missed them had the other voices around him not falling quiet at the same moment. A flicker of guilt arose within him at the other possibly feeling he had purposely overlooked her as an option... which, in a way, he had, though perhaps not for the reasons he feared she would assume.

He didn't doubt that she had the strength to not only join the hunt but to be directly at his side, leading them from the front. She would deal with the responsibility remarkably if she had taken an active role in her other pack, and clearly, she had spent two years toughening herself up through (he could assume) intense training regimes. Doubts over her physical capabilities, therefore, didn't exist.

But knowing what he knew about his own pack (or, more specifically, a few members within it), he felt wary about taking Luana out with him if it left behind their daughter. With Anders going through a currently undetermined issue, with Ronan more eager to be at his side and focusing on rebuilding the damage he felt had been dealt to their relationship out of nowhere, it was unfair to place Tala in their care. Daisy was the healer and Gio would be left as second-in-command, those two therefore having their own duties that took up their time.

Ultimately, he thought it best to neglect extending the initiation to Luana, assuming she would prefer to remain back with Tala - and he didn't think he could effectively explain that decision when Daisy was unaware of the attack.

Only, it seemed that her obliviousness no longer remained in place, recognising a look of awareness crossing her features - and compounded further by Ronan's remarks.

"...She didn't mean t' keep it from 'ya," he offered helpfully once seeing how little Daisy seemed to be interest in the excuses. "I mean, she didn't even wanna tell me, Dase, an' I'm her mate an' the damn alpha. I don't even know who did it. She woulda told 'ya but--"

"But she didn't. It's fine. I mean, I've got to live amongst people who attack someone I care about - and that person didn't even think to trust me with that information, but it's fine," the younger woman shrugged dismissively as she reached for the water to clear the dryness in her throat - and to wash the brief flash of hurt and anger from bubbling within her. "...It's not important, really. I'd have liked t' 'ave known, so I wasn't left outta things again, but-- I get it. S'fine."

"...It's 'cos of the attack that I didn't think of asking you on the hunt, Lu. Who's Tala s'posed to stay with if you come hunting? Only family members who could watch 'er would be Chester and Lyle an' I know things 'ave been... icy between you guys since you came back," the alpha continued, offering his sister a smile before moving the conversation away from her, aware that her dismissiveness made any further discussion to reassure her unwelcome - she wasn't prepared to talk about it more than she already had.

"I will say that... you can trust 'em. The twins, I mean. They wouldn't hurt you an' they wouldn't hurt Tala neither. If you wanna come hunting, which I'd love you to, then... it'd mean introducing Tala to my brothers an' seeing if they'd watch her for a while. They, uh... they should meet her, I want 'em to. They're family, even if you and them aren't getting on right now. They still mean a lot to me."

Luana's eyes lingered on Daisy for a moment, eyebrows knitting together worriedly at the other woman's reaction. She hadn't wanted to keep any more secrets from the people she considered her family now she was back, but she also didn't want to ruin the relationships they had with the pack members that had been there when she hadn't been. It was Luana's opinion, formulated while she was under the impression she wouldn't be staying permanently, that if she could minimise the friction being caused in the pack, all the better for when she eventually left. Obviously a lot had changed since that morning when she spoke to Daisy, and there were certainly some things she wouldn't be able to take back.

Clearing her throat, she awkwardly averted her gaze from her friend and quietly fidgeted by cutting into the wood of the table with her nail. She didn't like the idea of having upset or hurt Daisy, knowing that the younger woman felt as though she wasn't treated as maturely as she should be by her brothers. Luana had wanted to be an exception to that, not that she didn't tell Daisy what had happened because she thought she was still a kid, but nonetheless, she knew that's not what would be going through her mind.

However, she also knew from Daisy's behaviour that any further attempts to explain herself wouldn't go down well, so Luana kept a hold of her tongue, and allowed Tate to take control of the conversation, moving it past the tense mention of the attack.

"I can't... hide away scared from them forever, Tate. Not if I'm... gonna be stickin' around like we plan." Luana pointed out gently, lifting her eyes to him only to pause at the mention of Tala... and the twins.

Their reaction to her return hadn't been pleasant, if anything, they had been two of the most vocal and harshest out of all the voices. Especially Lyle. She had tolerated the idea of being in the same room as them for Anders' sake, but the notion of leaving Tala with them for the most of the day... it left her stomach twisting uncomfortably.

"Not physically they wouldn't hurt me." She muttered, shifting to pull a leg up, holding her knee to her chest, "How do I know they won't whisper shit to her while I'm gone? Bein' with her when they meet her is different to leavin' her alone with them to babysit. I-- I don't know, Tate. I've broken their trust an' they've definitely broken mine, just like the rest of the pack. I ain't... prepared to just dive back into it with them. The hunt's different, you'll be there. But leavin' them alone with Tala... I... nah... I can't."

"They're my brothers, Lu. They wouldn't go sayin' shit to their own niece, even if things between you guys are... difficult right now. But you used to really get on with 'em, didn't you? Like, before... everything happened, they were the ones who cracked jokes an' made you smile and laugh an'-- why can't you try an' get on with them? Obviously it ain't all down to you, they have to make most of the effort, but they can't do that if...if they haven't for the chance to, right?" The alpha countered with a furrow of his brow. He didn't want to bicker with Luana or feel the sting of disagreement make its way between them, but he couldn't sit back and not defend his younger brothers.

They had their faults, plenty of them, but who didn't? Tate had been cruel in his stubbornness and said some horrendous things, the latter of which had been said in anger, but he was ultimately forgiven for all of it. Anders had lost his temper and exploded into such a rage that it left him throwing punches at Ronan, yet he too was forgiven.

Despite those being instances between mates, who were probably more likely to forgive the one they were fated to be with, Tate didn't think it was so different that she couldn't extend the chance for forgiveness with the twins, considering much of what they had spat out had been in anger; a result of the pain and hurt they had each felt at Luana's absence.

And especially when she turned up out of the blue with their niece in tow; a child neither of them had any clue even existed until a few days ago.

Their words and insults might not have been justified, but their pain was.

Tate couldn't go in too hard on them for that reason alone.

He waited a moment further for his words to settle before he sighed, heavily and tiredly, his hands moving behind his head as he tried to loosen the tension in his body just a little. He was exhausted, ready to head back to his hut and get himself and Tala settled for a good night's rest, but he couldn't even consider the idea until this newest problem was resolved - or at least had an agreement in place for its future resolution.

"Let 'em watch her, Lu. Come hunting with me. If Tala says that they said mean things or said anythin' about 'ya that wasn't nice... then I'll take action. But that won't happen 'cos I know my brothers. They're the best fuckin' uncles to Teddy; they're great with kids. An' I want 'em to... have a chance to bond with my daughter. Maybe this'll bring you guys back together, open up the possibility for forgiveness, yeah? 'Cos I want you to get on with 'em; they're your family now too."