A Wolf Among The Sheep

"No, maybe not... but..." Luana trailed off, pulling away eventually to lay so she too looked up at the clouds that began to grey the skies, "You... ain't sayin' this because you think s'what I wanna hear, are you? Because... because I don't want neither of us to feel like, y'know, we gotta go walkin' on eggshells now, right? To keep the other happy?"

Her hand absently rubbed Tala's side while the other remained behind her head, eyes darting around for a moment before returning to Tate, watching as he stared upwards.

"I'm always goin' fret, Tate. I'm a mother, remember? Said so yourself not two minutes ago." She then teased with a small smile to accompany the words, "But seriously... we know... how the pack feel about me right now-- what if that never changes? I don't want you taking the heat for somethin' that, y'know, was my doin'. If I 'adn't come back... you'd not have'ta be worried about the flack we're goin' get-- you're goin' get because you... you wanna be with your mate."

She knew Tate wasn't a fool. The moment Ronan had made that comment about her eye, he would know she didn't get it from falling over or running into a branch. She also knew that he wouldn't have agreed to try again with her without considering all the possibilities. But still she worried. It would be difficult to continue growing their own family when the larger one he had to keep control and peace within disliked the mere idea of them being together.

"Sorry-- sorry. I'll stop now. I-- I know you'll protect us. Both of us. Just know I'll do the same for you." She turned her head back towards him, watching for a brief moment before allowing her attention to be rediverted to Tala.

Luana smiled fondly at the toddler, her hand moving up from Tala's side to brush through her hair, "Yeah... s'been a busy day for her, lots of excitement. She'll be awake again in... maybe half hour." She shifted onto her side, propped up by her elbow and stilled to allow Tala to readjust in her sleep to her mother's new position, which saw her curling up further and thumb coming loose from her mouth.

"Do you... if she wants to I mean... and, uh... and Leah's not there for whatever reason tonight... do you want to see if she wants to stay with you tonight?" Luana questioned, glancing up to him, "I know it's a big step an' all, but she might feel comfortable enough to stay with you tonight. You can come get me whenever you need to, I won't be far, after all... but-- but yeah... I just thought... you'd might like to have a night with her. Tell her a story, put her to bed... all that stuff."

"If you hadn't come back-- sure, I might not have the pack angry at me, but I also wouldn't have you, Lu. I wouldn't have Tala. You comin' back was the right thing, the best thing, an' if that provokes a bunch of miserable bastards being angry at me for a while, so be it. I'd rather deal with the pack hatin' me for a bit than not having you in my life," he emphasised, his tone dropping in order to reinforce the seriousness behind his words. He didn't think it was ideal to continue perpetuating moments they had left in their past, but he would time and time again continue to emphasise the love he had for her and just how important it was to him, no matter how many times he had to do it.

He had always been focused solely on his pack since he first took on the role as alpha. The importance of his duties to them had been unrivalled, especially when he never actually foresaw himself finding a mate and having that attention to the pack shared out for the person at his side. The idea of a mate and a family had always made him scoff to himself - his siblings he could all imagine with families of their own one day, but he had always presumed he would forever prioritise his work.

Luana had changed all of that for the better. He still loved his role and would dedicate himself to it entirely... but since she came into his life, everything finally fit into place; the final piece of the jigsaw had been found and slotted neatly into place. It was why her absence broke him as hard as it did - he knew how it felt to have a mate, to find that missing part of his soul was connected to, and so he also knew how it felt losing it, mourning its absence.

Having her back in his life, with Tala fulfilling some long dormant parental desire he hadn't been aware existed within him, meant he wouldn't ever jeopardise it again - even if it meant taking on the pack he had always striven to please.

He arched a brow at the eventual offer, his head tilting again to take her in. There was nothing he wanted more than to be able to sit at the foot of his daughter's bed, telling her a story and tucking her in under the covers... but knowing Luana wouldn't be there beside him did cause a pang of regret in his chest. It would one day be the case where they could live under the same roof once more, raise Tala in that family environment, but doing so so soon after things had broken off with Leah was unfair to her.

"I'd love that, yeah. More than anythin'. Maybe, ah... maybe in a little while, you could move back into the hut properly? I don't know when would be the right time, but... I want that. Us being back in the hut, raising Tala, making it a home. Just, ah... we'll have to talk about it soon, Lu. There ain't no rush, we can take each day as it comes, but... today's shown me what I want and that's you an' our kid all under one roof. Until then, though-- yeah, I'd love to bring her into the hut for the night, that'd be great."

After having wanted a moment like they were experiencing for so long, only to be receive the welcome back that she had and experience the ups and downs, his words were like music to her ears. There was still a part of her that was still hesitated with trepidation, nervous that another bad thing was just around the corner - especially with how Anders had acted today - and would ruin everything that had occurred today. She was nervous to dive straight into accepting everything and anything, since that was what she had done when she first came back - dived straight in only to find herself hitting rock bottom immediately. Truthfully, she just didn't want to get hurt again.

"Maybe... let's... let's see how everything goes first, yeah? I... don't want us to rush into things an'... step on any toes." She replied, smiling a little, "Leah... she'd been nothin' but nice to me, even after everythin' I'd done to you an'... an' now I've taken you from her an' that's a pretty shitty thing to do. I don't wanna be... rubbin' salt in the wound or anythin', y'know?"

She might not have had much interaction with Leah, with the other woman having decided it was better to steer clear of Luana considering she had Tate were a couple at the time. But Luana was also aware that Leah was one of the people who argued to let her stay at least for the night back those few days ago, until the storm had passed. Her fighting on her behalf meant that she, Tala and Ronan had avoided the storm... and nothing bad had happened to Tala.

"Maybe... maybe I ought to sit down with her? 'Ave a chat? I-- I don't want any bad feelin's between us. She was your... your girlfriend, Tate. Now-- Now I don't wanna know the specific details about that, but you... clearly cared for each other... maybe even loved each other. Perhaps I should just... at least thank her, for makin' it possible for me to at least protect Tala from the storm that night."

Luana wasn't an idiot, she knew it would be a difficult conversation and even more awkward. However, she couldn't ignore the other woman, not if she was going to be at Tate's side again and helping with running the pack.

"But that-that can wait... s'focus on you havin' Tala for a sleepover first. Though you're goin' need to tire her out again after this nap of hers, otherwise she's goin' be keepin' you up all night."

"You ain't taken me from her, that's-- nah, I was never really hers, was I? It sounds harsh but it's-- it's true, ain't it? I was always yours, Lu. It sucks that Leah got hurt in the process but it was inevitable - I was never gonna be happy with her, not like I am with you, so... i's unfortunate that she's hurt an' I feel horrible about it but I ain't gonna regret being back at your side when that's where I know I'm supposed to be," he clarified with a little more emphasis, resting both of his hands behind his head as a quiet grimace rested on his face.

The image of Leah back at the pack, emotionally struggling with the abrupt news that her relationship had been terminated in favour of someone who had, out of the blue, returned after a two year long absence wasn't easy to envision without growing upset on her behalf, but he also refused to regret the choice he had made when it was what his heart desired; what was best for him.

What was most fulfilling and what brought him the most contentment. It was where he was supposed to be, beside the other part of his soul, rather than maintaining a relationship with Leah out of sheer denial of the facts and have it deteriorate more and more over the moths. That would hurt her far more than ending things this soon on, where she -and the pack at large- had time to get used to the idea and slowly accept that Tate had to do what he thought (and knew) was best for him.

"You wanna have a chat with her? Lu, that's-- I won't stop 'ya but I don't see that going that well, do you? Leah's gentle, she's a real reserved character, but I don't think she'd... sit back and take anythin' you had to say. I don't want that upsetting you, so, uh... give it some thought first, yeah?" He suggested at the musings, his brow arched in surprise - and features resembling reluctance to agree to an idea he could only imagine would end terribly for both women involved.

"I don't think it'd be fair for me to enjoy a sleepover with Tala while you're being yelled at by Leah either, that wouldn't sit right with me," he concluded as an amused smile broke through the concern etched onto his face, his eyes returning to his side. "Mind you, Tala might do some yelling so I guess there's a chance that we'd both end up 'aving a earful, huh?"

Momentarily distracted from the conversation at the sight of Anders stood at the edge of the clearing with Teddy contently curled into his chest as she slept, Tate lifted his head to observe his brother's standoffishness before the curiosity finally became too much to fight off a moment longer.

"So what happened when you went to find Anders then? Somethin' happened, Lu, it was pretty obvious. He came back looking like he'd rather be anywhere else and I could almost feel the anger radiating off 'ya so-- did you guys argue?"

"I-I wouldn't necessarily say anythin' to her. It would be more... a chance for her to just... get it all off her chest. I don't want her stewin' over this, potentially wantin' to say somethin' but feelin' like she can't a few months down the line 'cause, hopefully, things have calmed down an' she doesn't feel like she can... call me out on anything, y'know?" She explained, carefully lowering herself down and resting her head on her arm which she tucked underneath it.

However, she took on his words and nodded, understanding that what he said held weight and that she had to also consider the ramifications if Leah did take her wanting to have a talk the wrong way. He did know the other woman, after all, and while she didn't want to have to linger on it, she knew he would have known her well enough after two years.

"I ain't sayin' I got to talk to her today... maybe in a few days time, when it's all calmed down. But I'll.. I'll consider what you've said, honestly. I don't wanna cause any more friction here, at least not for a little while."

She chuckled at his comment about Tala, looking down at their daughter as she slept on, unaware to the conversation happening over her. Luana smiled fondly, raising a hand to brushing fingers through the toddler's fine curls. "As stubborn as the both of us put together... we're in for a hell of a ride when she's finally a teenager."

Luana fell silent as Tate sat up, happy to just linger in the warmth of the moment after such a tense exchange with Anders. The conversation, obviously, wasn't easy to forget, constantly lingering in the back of her mind, but she didn't want to let it darken what was left of her day to spend with Tate and Tala actually feeling as though they were a family. She wanted to make the most of it, knowing they would have to resort to hidden, stolen moments like this for a while.

Despite her thinking that, Tate's question regarding his brother brought the situation back to the forefront of her mind and she sighed quietly. She kept her attention on Tala until he had stopped looking towards Anders, not wanting things to be so blatantly obvious. But even then it was difficult, with Ronan reappearing with the rinsed off plates (except for hers and Anders') to begin bundling the blankets up. His occasional glances to his mate were anything but subtle, concern clearly etched into his features.

"How-how about I talk to you about that when I bring Tala over for her sleepover? I'll come through the back door, so no one will see me come in." Luana suggested tactfully, looking back to Tate as she reluctantly began to sit up, knowing it was time to leave when a drop of rain landed on her shoulder.

Despite the storminess that had clouded his brother's countenance, an anger he similarly discovered upon Luana's visage too, Tate had assumed that the trouble between them can't have been that serious; that their annoyances simply showed themselves more potently upon their expressions because they were best friends and thus any disagreement, however minor, would hurt that little bit more.

Even with a thousand guesses, he would never anticipate just what conversation had taken place between them; not once would he assume the content of thoughts that ran through his younger brother's head and, presumably, had done so for a while now.

But he was starting to get the impression that it was a tad more serious than he first thought it to when Luana suggested it was a conversation they ought to hold in the hut when they could be alone, presumably because it was a lengthy discussion that involved opinions Anders was better off not being present for.

"...Yeah, that's fine. Just come by later then, we can... talk about it there, when this one's gotten to sleep. How I'm gonna manage to do that is beyond me right now but I'll figure it out," he grinned, desperate to keep the mood from faltering too much. Granted, one glance back at Anders was enough to cause uncertainty and concern to eat away at him... but he plastered a smile on his face, hoping that if he smiled and continued to keep things upbeat, it would encourage Anders to at least try and do the same.

If he did notice the efforts his brother was going through, Anders didn't care to join in. Instead, even after the encouraging smile sent in his direction when their eyes met, he turned in the obvious desire to get a move on. He didn't want to head back to pack... but if it was inevitable, if he hadn't any other choice, then he wanted to at least get back before the rain began to pour... and hopefully before the twins and Daisy decided to head into the hut to rest.

Sharing the hut with them wasn't exactly ideal when he wanted his own privacy and his own space during moments like this, when he felt as constricted as he did.

"Can we just... go now? It's going to rain and... and Teddy'll catch a cold if she gets caught in this type of weather so... let's just get going," he murmured with a glance back at the others, impatiently frowning at the fact the blanket beneath Tate had yet to be folded. "It's about to pour down, we really should get going."

Nodding with a small smile, Luana carefully scooped Tala up into her arms and stepped off the blanket so Ronan could bundle it up, a deep frown on the male's face as he acted robotically. He couldn't understand what had gone so wrong during the day to make Anders as cold and indifferent as he suddenly was. He wanted to know what had been said between Luana and Anders as much as Tate, but his mind was also preoccupied with the paranoia of Anders' behaviour coinciding with him finding out the truth about Ronan's past.

He considered if it was perhaps just the other needing to come to terms with his sexuality, accepting that it was who he was and perhaps worrying that his family would do what Ronan's had done to him. Could he have waited to share that story until Anders had come out to his family and even the rest of the pack? Maybe, but now he'll never know if it was the right thing to do.

"I got'em." Ronan mumbled as he got the blanket once the other pair had gotten to their feet, clearly lost within his own thoughts and theories.

Luana looked across to Anders, her chest tightening in irritation at his attitude. Not because it was making Ronan feel like shit, but because it had left her confused, Tate concerned and now he was acting like Teddy was the only one who could get ill if caught in the downpour.

"Yeah, we know, she ain't the only kid here." Luana mumbled tersely under her breath, cradling Tala close to her chest and scanning the area to check that everything had been collected. "Go on then, lead the way." She motioned with one hand to Anders, eyebrows raised expectantly.

She started walking alongside Tate once the others got moving, mind once more returning to her conversation with Anders to chew on it for a bit longer. She wanted to get it straight in her head before she told Tate about what had happened, since she didn't want to be seen as distorting any truths by accident.

Ronan, on the other hand, plodded along behind his mate, occasionally picking up his pace to see if he could walk beside Anders, only to slow afterwards, overthinking the vibe that he was receiving from his mate.

It wasn't long until they arrived back at the huts, with Ronan pausing outside the hut he shared with Luana to watch Anders and Luana hesitating a few steps back to give the two their space but to also look up at Tate. "So... uh... if you-- if you come by for dinner, then you can take her back to your hut. Might be easier to get her to sleep after dinner, she-- she's like me when she's warm an' got a belly of food in her." She chuckled, the sound nervous, "I'll uh... come 'round a little after, give her enough time to've fallen asleep so we can... y'know.. talk."

The walk back had been nothing spectacular, with every effort he made to share a smile with Luana undercut by the obvious tension stemming from Anders just up ahead of them. He neglected to fill his mind with unsubstantiated thoughts and trouble himself for the rest of the day when, hopefully, the conversation with Luana later that night would provide him some clarity behind his brother's downturn in mood.

At least, he hoped it could because the sight of him sulking up ahead of them, his pace quickening whenever Ronan attempted to catch up to his steps, was far from comforting. Out of all his siblings, it was always Anders he had worried about the most: Gio was strong, the twins confident, Daisy dedicated. They each had their problems and their moments of needing and requiring support, but they were never at the forefront of Tate's concern when in comparison to Anders.

His youngest brother had always had the tendency of getting himself into trouble, whether it was his fault or not. From getting himself lost in the woods, nearing death at the hands of a brutish human who unceremoniously shoved a pitchfork into him as a young teenager (the consequence of which remained present in the scarring along his side) and finding himself kidnapped, the man had been through a lot - and that was just physically. Emotionally, Tate had always grown concerned that he never quite knew what was going on in Anders' head - and when he had been prone to dark thoughts that tormented him throughout his adolescence and into his young adulthood, it was hard not to fear his brother developing such unwelcome thoughts too.

Hopefully, Luana could reassure him that his brother's current state was merely a result of a silly argument and nothing more concerning than that.

"Mhm, that sounds good. I'll definitely come by for dinner, don't worry about tha'. I'll be there," he guaranteed with another smile, even if his eyes were distracted both by the sight of Anders wandering towards his hut and the nearby pack members collecting in the clothes that had been hung to dry before the rain came down, their unsubtle glances confirming to him that the news of his break up with Leah -in favour of Luana- had now filtered throughout the pack as a whole.

"...Ignore 'em. Just get into the hut before it starts t' rain, I gotta go an' see Gio, make sure everything was alright in our absence so uh... I'll see 'ya later. I can ask Sasha an' Daisy to stop by if you and Ronan wanted some company? I'm sure Sasha wouldn't mind an' Daisy-- she could do with the break, right? Some time to just relax an' hang out?"

Her own gaze had followed his to watch Anders make a beeline straight for his hut, the faint smile that she had on her expression soon fading into yet another frown. Their conversation had truly troubled her, and really Luana knew she had to be concerned if Anders would really follow through with his musings and actually leave the pack for a human settlement. After having just arrived back, and everything finally seeming to fall into place for her, Luana was devastated at the idea of losing Anders. However, she just couldn't think of what to say or do that would help him when he seemed to have an answer or retort for everything.

Breathing out a sigh, she began to look back to Tate only for her gaze to capture that of someone folding some of the clothes on the drying line. Her gaze moved again only to drop sharply after to recognise a face from the bullying she experienced the night before.

Quickly, to ensure Tate didn't notice a difference, Luana looked back up to him with a small smile, "Maybe just Daisy... she knows about Ronan... he seems like he could do with some cheerin' up an' it might be better for him to talk or rant without havin' to... hide anythin', y'know?" She replied, readjusting her grip on Tala.

The man in question had lingered on the edge of the hut to watch Anders disappear too, his shoulders tight and a hand running raggedly through his hair. He didn't get a chance to talk to Anders, and even worse, he couldn't even see Teddy one last time before she went to bed - because he suspected that Anders would be keeping her at bay while he was going through whatever he was going through. Ronan exhaled heavily and turned on the ball of his foot to walk up the back steps of the hut and head inside, leaving the other two to talk alone.

Luana dragged her gaze away from her the door to the hut, biting on her lower lip worriedly as she faced Tate again, "I know... you ain't stupid, an' that your hypothetical scenarios weren't hypothetical at all... but I really don't know what's goin' on here. I can tell you what Anders said later but... those two have barely said a word to each other about their relationship all day an' all'f a sudden... there seems like there ain't none. Somethin's goin' on an' I don't know what'll happen. But-- but don't go talkin' to Anders just yet, okay? Just... lemme tell you what was said an' give him some time to breathe."

"I, uh... ain't gonna lie, you're starting to worry me now. This ain't just a little tiff, is it? That much I can gather," he murmured back beneath his breath as he bit the inside of his cheek. The urge to just head after Anders himself and get the truth out of him was strong - but he didn't want to storm over and throw assumptions in his direction without knowing some background first - and the details from Luana, even if she was as confused as he was regarding the switch in Anders' behaviour, would at least be beneficial to him.

He had always been prone to storm into situations without the full facts (or at least a little background to support his concerns), having chosen to neglect to listen to what others around him had to say when, instead, he could act immediately on emotion. He wasn't promising to have completely eradicated such behaviour, knowing there was always a chance he would go charging into a situation if his emotions were passionately riled up enough... but his faint nod to Luana, the resistance he was displaying by listening to her suggestions, was a move in the right direction.

He had promised to try and change some of his ways, correct behaviour that had forced her away in the first place. Those, evidently, weren't empty words to momentarily appease her.

"But, uh... yeah, I'll wait 'til you tell me what's going on with 'im, don't worry. I've got other stuff to deal with anyway so... that'll distract me for a bit," he shrugged, turning away once catching sight of Daisy exiting the healer's hut (a home she was more than welcome to move into, but had neglected to do so in the knowledge she'd miss sharing with the twins and Anders). With a hand raised to catch her attention, he beckoned her down to the periphery once her eyes met his, acknowledging the confusion filtering onto her features in spite of the distance between them.

"What's, uh... what's up? I wasn't skipping work, I just--"

"Oh, nah, it's not that. I just thought you'd wanna keep Ronan and Lu company until dinner? Catch up with 'em or somethin' instead of working all hours of the day 'cos there's no need to do that, Dase. Take time out for yourself, there ain't anything wrong with that," the alpha responded as casually as he could - though it was abundantly clear that he had had a conversation with Luana regarding the stress his sister was under.

The knowledge that they had discussed the topic without her present might have irked her... but Daisy was mature enough to realise that the conversation had taken place as a result of the consideration and care Luana had for her. And how could she be unsettled or aggravated by it when she had succeeded in getting Daisy some time off work to just... hang out with friends? The very thing she had been desperate for?

"I'd love that, yeah. Thanks, Tate," she responded with an unsubtle smile, the gratitude -though unsaid- mostly offered across to Luana in recognition of the fact she was the reason behind the development. "I have time to hang out, I was only gonna crush up herbs anyway an'... that ain't a pressing matter right now, so... yeah, I've got the time to spend with you and Ronan, Lu. That sounds great."

"I-- I honestly don't know what it is, Tate. I don't know... I don't know what to do an' I have to tell you, I... I'm worried. I ain't goin'ta pretend any different. He's... last night he was on about comin' out an' tellin' everyone about... but now..." She shook her head, shrugging exasperatedly afterwards. Luana knew it wasn't fair to tell him that little snippet without elaborating, but the more he lingered the more he asked, the harder it was becoming to keep her mouth shut.

Just as he was making his own developments with listening to her and acknowledging what had driven her away, Luana was continuing with her own. About keeping private things private. Not everyone needed to know their business, or what their concerns were. Some conversations were best kept for private locations, and this was one of them. She knew her airing out their private issues in front of the pack had caused some irritation and upset for Tate, and so she wanted to avoid that this time around in their relationship.

She breathed out softly, a hand becoming free to run her fingers through her shortened hair and rake it onto the one side of her head. A foot took a small step forward, and she was prepared to move into his space so she could rest her forehead comfortingly against his chest, Tala nestled in the space between them. However, she caught herself before she did so and pulled her foot back, clearing her throat and peering down at Tala as he was momentarily distracted.

Luana glanced up as he began motioning towards someone, preparing to leave if it was a random pack member he had to speak to about something, but immediately relaxed at the sight of Daisy, an easy, warm smile growing on her lips.

Her eyebrow quirked and her smile almost turned into a smirk at Tate's lack of subtlety, briefly glancing to him before peering back to Daisy, knowing she had told the other girl to speak to her brother herself. But when the topic came up that afternoon, it was difficult to not say anything: the opportunity had been presented, and Luana thought it best to take the chance to just make him aware.

"Good to know you have some time for us in your busy schedule." Luana then grinned, teasing, once she knew that the other young woman wasn't upset with her for saying something. She would apologise regardless, and explain why she had done, but it was a relief that another friend hadn't gone cold on her. She glanced to Tate, the warm smile back for him, "I'll organise another time with Sasha, I ain't seen her since the first night and mother to mother I know she'll probably enjoy some 'her time'." She chuckled, free hand tucking back under Tala.

"See you in a bit then, yeah? For... for, uh, dinner?"

"Yep: see you for dinner," came the fellow alpha's response as he smiled firmly, taking a moment to brush aside a stray stand of Tala's hair from her forehead with a gentleness that belied his stature. For a few seconds, he remained frozen in place, suddenly overcome with the depth of the love he had for the little girl curled up in her mother's arms - and he could have easily stayed caught up in that rush of love that caused his heart to ache for hours upon hours if it wasn't for the faint noise of the responsibilities being carried out around him by a pack preparing to protect what needed protecting from the oncoming downpour.

With an apologetic smile to Luana (his desire to offer her a show of affection wasn't subtle), he gave Daisy's shoulder a supportive squeeze before heading up the slight incline to the main area of the camp to help set the unburned firewood in one of the spare huts.

Daisy watched her brother for a moment, slightly taken aback by the love that had not onyl existed within his eyes for his child (a sight she understandably was delighted at) but towards Luana too. When that very morning they had had an argument that had caused pain and bitterness to re-emerge, the younger girl was understandably bewildered by the affectionate glances they secretly shared - albeit not that subtly when she had easily picked up on the loving energy.

"Things are going well then?" She grinned as she moved towards the hut, nudging the door open with her foot and keeping it in place until Luana had entered. In the warmth of the hut -and knowing she had time to unwind without the stress of the job lingering over her-, she eagerly took a seat on the couch, its base hand-crafted by former generations of the pack. With every intention to relax and make the most of her free hours, she kicked off her shoes and took to laying across the couch with a quiet groan, the slight crack of her back as she stretched out all the evidence she needed (if she already didn't have enough of it) to know how hard she was pushing herself.

And thus, just how important these few hours free of responsibility were.

"Honestly, tell me everythin'. 'Cos this morning, you were at each other's throats. Now, you're all lovey-dovey, sharing romantic glances? Lu, I'm delighted for 'ya, you know I am, but forgive me if I'm a bit, y'know... confused. Did his amazing fishing skills suddenly make you realise how much of a catch he is? No pun intended," she grinned as she sat up a little, resting up with her elbows against the couch cushion beneath her for support. "Whatever happened on your little day trip-- I'm so happy for you both. Like, sure, it's early days, yeah? But... you're a close friend; he's my big brother. Seeing you both happy, together, is all I've wanted for each of 'ya!"

It didn't take long for Luana's cheeks to bloom red at Daisy's question, the grin on the young woman's face causing Luana to lower her gaze bashfully with an awkward shrug. She stayed silent, but the blush lingered, as she moved to area where the beds were while Daisy made herself comfortable on the couch. She lowered Tala onto the one they shared, carefully tucking the slumbering pup under the blanket and kissing her temple before leaving her side.

She joined Daisy on the couch, lifting her feet to sit before resting the other woman's lower legs and feet on her lap. She shrugged again, a small smile finally pulling at her lips as she fidgeted with the hem of Daisy's trouser leg.

"S'only been half a day, I ain't... goin't let myself get too carried away yet. I can see all the work he's put into betterin' himself, Daise, I really can. But the pack is still his pack. He's devoted to 'em an' if they hate me too much to let me back in... I don't know what he'll do." She confessed, stretching her legs out in front of her.

After a moment of thought, she laid her head back against the back cushions of the couch and turned it so she could look at Daisy. Another lingering moment passed, as she debated whether or not to tell her everything that happened that morning, before she just went into it, with Ronan listening nearby as he readied the fire for lighting.

Once she had finished, excluding the delicate situation of him kissing her, Luana glanced back to Daisy, rubbing the back of her neck, "So there ya have it. I told him... I told him to take the day without me bein' around to think over what he really wanted. But then he... he was already here, when I got back after our walk, sayin' he didn't need to think about it."

Luana briefly glanced to Ronan to see how her friend was fairing, slightly uncomfortable to be talking about her own relationship which seemed to finally be on the up when his seemed to be slowly grinding to a halt. He laid out on his own bed, pillow partially over his face to cover his eyes but leaving his mouth and nose free so he could breathe, forearms and hands resting over the top of the pillow. He could even be asleep for all Luana knew, but it still concerned her.

"Uh... so-- so yeah. But like I said... I'm worried... I don't want it to have to be a choice between me or the pack, if it ever came down to that. I'd... I'd never expect him to have to make that choice. I wanna try an' make things as easy as possible or the both of us but I don't know how to if the pack won't let me try to make things right, y'know?"

Uncharacteristically, Daisy remained silent as she allowed her friend to speak, relaying much of the details of that day (with some notable exceptions). The younger girl had the urge to interrupt now and then, to emphasise how she felt whenever her opinion had immediately formed, but she politely waited until she heard everything the other had to say - even if that was to voice her worry that the current state of her relationship wouldn't last if the pack had their way.

Which, granted, Daisy knew was a possibility. There were members within the community that tended to hold stronger opinions that they refused to keep to themselves, voicing their anger aloud and without hesitation - as had been witnessed during Luana's initial return, with such cruel commentary being made regarding her abilities as a mother. Their opinions ran the risk of consequence, whether it be a firm reprimand or something altogether more serious, but Daisy had found that some members of the pack didn't care about that.

As long as they got what they wanted to say off their chest, irrespective of its cruelty, they were content with themselves.

So if they truly despised Luana for her leaving (and her subsequent broken promise of a quick return), then it stood to reason that such members of wouldn't take too kindly to knowing that that woman was welcomed back within the fold, returned to her position beside Tate as not only his mate, but their alpha.

Not that Daisy felt the necessity to focus so intensely on the worst possible outcome when there was plenty to be positive about.

"...Lu, there ain't much else going on around this pack right now that's a cause for happiness an' optimism. Now, I ain't saying to throw yourself into this without considering what you might 'ave to face in the future, or what folk 'round here might do or say to try and tear your down, but... don't focus so much on... y'know, on losing what you have right now. Enjoy it," she grinned as she lightly nudged the other's knee with her foot for emphasis of the playfulness, desperate for the other to let loose and not torment herself with contemplating the breakdown of something she might not even lose in the first place.

Was there a chance of her and Tate not lasting; of him, once again, prioritising the pack? Sure - but there was just as much of a chance of him focusing dutifully on his family, emphasising to the community just how much he loved them and that Luana wasn't going to go anywhere, however much some members might desire it.

"Now, I know you ain't gonna listen to me completely an' you'll just overthink stuff and... obviously you have a reason to be concerned, but try and focus on the good stuff too, yeah? Tate loves 'ya, he loves Tala. The pack might give you grief but they also might come around in time; you can't stress yourself out with all this, Lu. There's gotta be a point where you just... live in the moment, don't let your fears control 'ya. Besides, this is, like, my one day off. I'd rather sit an' gossip about fun stuff, not, y'know, possibly losing 'ya again 'cos the pack or Tate fucked things up."

Her cheeks flushed once more at the other girl nudging her, recognising that she was being a huge overthinker in that moment, but that - to Luana anyway - was easy to blame on motherhood and being an alpha in her own right. She had to think of each and every scenario and outcome. Whether they be good or bad. It was just because of their rocky track record, and everything else that had happened, that she was more inclined to focus on the worse case scenario.

Daisy was still, it seemed, blissfully unaware as to the real cause behind the cut and swelling (albeit it now much reduced) that graced her eye, and Luana was keen to keep it that way. While Daisy was in a good mood now, and was the optimistic type, Luana had no doubt how quickly and aggressive the girl could turn if she thought her family was in trouble or had been hurt.

"Well, one thing's for certain, you ain't losin' me again even if either of those two things happen. You'll be comin' to me for visits an' I'll be havin' to come back here for Tala to see Tate too. So it ain't as if the past two years will ever happen again." She smiled, patting Daisy's lower leg before allowing herself to sink deeper into the sofa.

Her head turned to rest her gaze on where Tala slept on the bed beside Ronan's, lingering there for a moment. A smile played delicately across her mouth before she reluctantly gave Daisy back her attention.

"Maybe you should come to my pack sometime anyways, you never know if your mate might be there. It might be worth a shot just... goin' there for a few days to see if you find them there, y'know?" She suggested, turning the topic to lighter things.

The idea of someone's mate being from another pack had played on Luana's mind frequently over the last two years. It wasn't as if there wasn't evidence to back it up. She and Tate were one example (even if she had been found in a human village), plus Ronan and Anders (even if their relationship wasn't so great at the moment. It would be something she raised with Tate indefinitely when things were calmer and she was working on her acceptance back into the pack. She had her own pack to run when her parents eventually stepped down, and she wasn't about to let Tate convince her to walk away from it. Even if she had only been there for two years, that was still two years more than she had had within this one... albeit not by choice.

"...I hope you don't mind me sayin' somethin' to him. I know I said you should talk to him but the opportunity came up an' it felt wrong to lie to him an' say everythin' was fine. I-- I'm tryin' to limit the, uh, truths I withhold... I'm sure you can understand why."

"You know I was always gonna come by your pack anyway, right? Like, sure, the idea of meeting my mate there is a huge incentive 'cos that'd be pretty neat, but I had plans to come by anyway, if only for a little holiday away from everything here," she admitted as she adjusted the cushion behind her head, allowing herself to get comfortable before she focused back on Luana and the rest of her remarks, which only tied into the idea of a holiday.

After all, Daisy had refused to genuinely acknowledge the possibility of visiting Luana's pack and having that holiday from her duties when said duties always seemed too important to step away from. She had always doubted that Tate would willingly allow her any time off from them, particularly if it meant venturing off from the pack for a few days.

There was a marked difference between having some time to herself within the confines of their community, where she would always be around to help someone if necessity of her assistance demanded it, and her not being present whatsoever. With nobody else in the pack to cover for her in her absence, the idea of actually leaving to see the community that Luana had been involved in for two years, the pack she had been born into, never seemed... feasible, however much she wanted to go.

But that had changed now she knew Tate was capable of understanding the stress she had been under. It wasn't much, but him allowing her a few hours off from her responsibilities without any fuss being made about it gave her hope; it enabled her to envision a future for herself that had a more manageable balance.

Granted, the prospect of leaving the pack behind for a week at the most without any proficient healer present made her uneasy... but she would just have to inform them how to make the paste themselves and hope as hard as she could that nobody decided to have a major injury in the time she wasn't around. That was, ultimately, all she could do because nothing was going to stop her from taking the vacation she desperately needed.

Especially if there was a chance to find her mate during that time away - and she defied anyone in the pack of being capable to turn down that opportunity.

"Lu, you said yourself that you'd have a chat with him, didn't 'ya? Despite me protesting against that, I always kinda assumed you'd, y'know, go an' chat to him regardless. Now, I'd be pissed off if Tate snapped at me and told me to stay working - but 'cos everything worked out for the best an' I got this time off, an' I got the benefit of knowing my big brother actually... understands my side of things, how could I be mad at you? You're like my sister, ain't you? I'm not gonna be mad just because you talked to Tate, it'll take much more than that for me to be annoyed with 'ya, I promise."

"Well, if I do end up stayin' here, it'll make visitin' me there a li'l difficult since I won't be there, won't it?" She grinned, nestling further down into the sofa and kicking one leg up to rest her foot on top of the small coffee table in front of her. "That whole two pack situation is goin' to be messy, when it comes down to it. But-- but! Before you say anythin', I'm goin' try and take your advice an' focus on the here an' now rather than worryin' about what might or might not happen in the future."

It was easier said than done, after all, with Luana's pack for the past two years constantly on her mind. Just like Tate's parents expected of him before their untimely passing, her parents expected the same from her despite having crammed twenty-something years of learning into two.

There was just one issue back home which made things all the more difficult and explained her constant fretting over her family pack - Kaius.

He had been the one that the pack would have gone to next, chosen by her parents once hope of having another child had long died away and the hope of finding their only daughter long disappeared. He was strong, capable, dominant. A perfect fit to slot into the role that would be left unfilled if her parents didn't name a successor.

However, of course, when Luana was found and rejoined the pack two years ago... dynamics changed. Kaius had always welcomed Luana, but she could sense something lingering beneath the surface. Whenever they practiced together, if he got the better of her he would always hold her down for a second longer than necessary, which always got her back up. She had no reason to distrust him apart from that, or to think he was displeased with what had happened. But how could she expect him not to be? He had been heir to the pack, next in line to lead and to start his own line of alphas, whenever he found his mate. Then for it to suddenly be whipped away from him, for some wolf that barely knew where to start? Luana knew better than to believe that Kaius would just sit around and allow it to happen.

It was why, when she came back to Tate, she never had the intention of simply leaving her pack. She could afford to leave it, not for long periods of time with Kaius in charge, as he had slipped down to the rank of her second-in-command. Her skin crawled at that idea, fearful that she would some day return to a mutiny. It was why she wanted to merge the two packs together to be one. It made sense to her.

But for now, with her parents still at the helm, Luana knew she had some time to convince Tate... if he would be convinced.

"Why you questionin' if I'm like your sister? I am your sister, you're stuck with me whether you like it or not now you know, more so than ever before now your brother's taken me back." She smirked, tearing herself away from those worries to focus back onto Daisy, "Besides, you think I'd actually ever let him snap at you? That boy would lose his tongue before he did that to you." She laughed, quickly quietening as Tala stirred, but looked back to Daisy once the toddler buried herself into the pillow, "Hopefully this also means he'll get someone to help you out now to. That way you can have some more time off to spend with us."

Daisy's mouth had opened in preparation to reinforce the necessity of taking time to relax, unwind and keep thoughts positive, rather than focusing on negativity and allowing it to weigh them down. Even if the conversation wasn't necessarily negative but simply focused on examining and preparing for all possible outcomes of a scenario, Daisy didn't really want to spend the hours she had off from work dwelling over worst case scenarios and unfortunate circumstances that had yet to even happen.

If she had to continually remind Luana that it was okay to take her mind off such things, if only for a little while, she would: she could never grow tired of ensuring her friend, her sister (for that was what Luana was to her at this point), had moments where she could feel free of whatever stresses she was otherwise inundated with.

Daisy knew all about stress, after all - and thereby the importance of separating herself from what was causing her that feeling. Now she had her brother's support to do so, she was fully intending on making the most of her time off from her work - and continuing to take that time off in the future whenever she needed to.

Fortunately, Luana seemed to have already anticipated Daisy's eagerness to ward her from the messy thoughts, the younger girl amusedly grinning in reply as she eased back onto the couch. At least Luana was taking her advice in prioritising a lighter conversation... even if her thoughts had wandered to the trouble and difficulties that would one day arise in trying to unite the two packs.

It wasn't ever going to be an easy conversation to have with Tate when he was stubbornly against such an idea, but Daisy, unaware of the other's contemplation on such a topic, continued to smile to herself in satisfaction at their relaxed demeanours and the enjoyment she received from doing something as simple as spending time with Luana in the relaxed, cosy setting.

It wasn't something she often found time to do, after all.

"I'll ask around tomorrow, get someone to help me out. I wish Anders had the stomach for it, he'd be such a good choice. He's kind and sweet and patient... but the man can't handle the sight of blood. Chester and Lyle are too easily distracted, Gio's got his family and his other duties... I'll just 'ave to recruit someone outside my family. Like, there's Molly and Poppy, they're... annoying, but they're quick-learners. Not ideal choices but they'd do, if I was desperate," she murmured, mostly thinking aloud to herself. The girls mentioned only made her grimace to herself, unable to handle the constant screeching, gossiping and giggling she knew the two would embark upon - she had no doubt they would learn what she taught them, but she couldn't guarantee how serious they would be about it.

And ideally, she wanted someone to have the same passion for medicinal healing as she had always had; someone who innately wanted to be a part in healing the pack, bringing new ones into the community, being on hand to just offer advice at the very least.

"...I'll find someone, don't worry. It's my priority, in fact. Just ain't gonna be easy is all but I could do with the challenge-- what's the healer like at your pack, then? When I come visit, I wanna check their set-up out if that's cool? Might see if I can pick up new tips, new methods... your pack is, y'know... I don't see 'em as strangers or anythin'. You're family, Lu - and if that's your pack, then they're sort of mine by extension too. I wanna offer 'em any help I can while I'm there, show 'em we're not all assholes over in this camp."

"I can always help until you find someone to, Daisy, you know that." Luana immediately offered, "I know it'll be... difficult, with the pack not trustin' me an' all, but hopefully they will eventually, just like you said. You know I'm good with that stuff, an' it can just be part of my... duties to the pack, just like Tate has his." She suggested, "Let's face it, I ain't goin' to be goin' anywhere now, if all things go well. So I'd always be on hand too."

Luana was genuine about her offer, although whether the other would take her up on it was another matter. She knew there was lots to do as an alpha, having learned as much over the last two years. But that was just when there was one of her. If she and Tate really could weather the storm coming their way in terms of the pack's reaction and stay together until things had calmed down and she had been accepted... then there would be two of them to handle the burden of pack responsibilities. They would have each other.

The thought, as cheesy as it was, had her smiling quietly to herself, head bowing to hide the sudden expression as she continued to play with the hem on Daisy's trouser leg. It was so much easier to become, and remain, positive when around the other younger woman. Her optimism was rather infectious.

"The healer? Oh, uh, yeah-- he's good. I've learned one or two things from him myself, actually. New herbs an' stuff. Of course you can, you don't need to ask, ya numptee." She chuckled, peering across to her as she lifted her head, "You're always welcome to do that. I'm goin' t'ave'ta go back at some point just to... check on things an' my parents. You can come back with me then to see how he does things." She offered, leaning to the side to rest an elbow on the arm of the couch and prop her head up in her hand.

She wasn't about to explain she would be going back to her pack to let them know if the packs would be joining together or if they would be staying separate (which would put Luana in a very difficult position). It wasn't fair to divulge that information to Daisy, sister or not, when she hadn't even had the conversation with Tate yet.

"They don't think that... not about all of you anyway." She teased, reaching out her free hand to take hold of one of Daisy's, "They've heard me yappin' on about a lot of you for the past two years, they ain't about to think all of you are assholes. You 'specially. If anythin', my parents can't wait to meet ya. You an' Anders, really. They know how you both... helped me out when I first got here. They appreciate what you did for me."

In her quiet contemplations throughout the day regarding the question of who she could share her expertise with and rely upon for help, Luana hadn't once sprung to mind. Whether it was because she was a mother now who had duties to her daughter, or simply an alpha with duties to not just one but two packs, all Daisy knew was that she hadn't considered her friend to have enough free time to spend in the healer's hut, grinding down herbs and producing remedies all day.

And she regretted not considering her because ultimately, it seemed like the best choice to make.

Of course, she wouldn't officially be the second-in-command and take the role up with the flexibility it required - Daisy knew she still had to find someone who would dedicate themselves to the role as she had done. Yet, that didn't mean she couldn't invite Luana into it, have her support when she needed a break and know with entire certainty that until she could find someone more permanent, Luana possessed a safe pair of hands for the duties to reside in.

And selfishly, Daisy didn't need to spend too much time considering the offer when it was just another reason she would have to spend time with her. After two years apart, she was understandably eager to make up for that lost time; spend as much of it in Luana's company as she could.

"Hey, I think that's a decent idea, actually. You said you've picked up some knowledge from your healer back in the other pack, yeah? Then I won't need to teach 'ya too much. I mean, sure, you might not be ready to, like, help deliver a baby or help patch up a broken leg but... yeah, I think it wouldn't be too bad of an idea to have your help until a find an assistant," she agreed as her characteristic excitement kicked in more and more as the thought of sharing her space with one of her closest friends started to sink in.

When her work meant as much to her as it did, being able to share what she knew and pass along information to someone she cared so much about was inevitably going to stir up her eagerness.

"Then I gotta come with 'ya, don't I? Not only so they can all put a face to the name but so I can pick up stuff from your healer, share some information with 'im, see what he's managed to teach 'ya over the two years. Granted, I'm also gonna use the time to relax and see it as a nice lil' holiday for myself, it can't all be about work," she grinned as she reciprocated the affection with a gentle squeeze of Luana's hand, her eyes only drifting at the mention of Anders - naturally, she found her gaze settling on the nearby figure of Ronan.

"Anders should come too-- an' Teddy. She's always goin' on about 'adventuring'. Trekking through the woods to your pack would be her idea of a dream come true, I don't think we ought t' take that from 'er. Plus Anders needs a break as much as I do so it'd be nice for us both, I reckon. If you fancy taking us for the few days, I know he'll be up for it as much as I am."