A Wild Imagination: How many Characters have you created?

Absyinthe_Artica

Creator of Worlds
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. One post per day
  2. 1-3 posts per week
  3. One post per week
Online Availability
Everyday
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
Genres
Fantasy, Modern, Magical, Sc-fi, Horror, Steampunk, anything really
Overall the time you have been a role-player, can you remember how many characters you've made? Were there any favorites out of them? Do you still use the same characters that you made when you first started role-playing? Is there a point when there are too many characters? Let's discuss all of the characters you've made over time!

I reuse characters a lot, so I keep separate bios on-hand to use as handy reference. Going by that, I have 58 separate characters.

Whoops.

Granted, some of them lend themselves to my favorite genres better than others, so my play frequency is pretty skewed. And I think I've made like, maybe three or four other characters as one-offs? Unless you count all the NPCs I made back in the day when I ran silly "forum RPGs" on another site. Which'll tack on, mm, maybe another ten or so.

NEVER TOO MANY.

• Love
Reactions: Absyinthe_Artica
I have a whole character archive that contains at least 30 for each gender, probably more than that, though. :P Although it depends on the role-play whether I use one of the characters or not, so I don't play all of them every day. :D
I TOTALLY AGREE! There is never too many characters to be made.

I usually make a new character for each roleplay, and I like to multi-play

So probably hundreds O_O

• Love
Man, I could never do that. It takes me foreeever to create a new character concept that I'm actually happy with. owo' Especially the backstory part.

• Love
I have roleplayed for almost half a year now.

I have Zachariah, Tasha (though I just created the concept, someone else filled out the rest) Thalice, Russel, Alícia, Eu-Mag, Anne, Dyna, Anchier, Bitter Kousa, Mei, Arundinaera, Kenneth, and two slightly edited canon characters.

So, 15?

Edit: Oh, and Xoar. 16.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
I have created and joined 132 roleplays on iwaku in which I've had between 1 and 3 characters per roleplay, sometimes more. I have never re-used an own made character so far and I have only played one fandom character which I have re-used maybe three or four times, so my character count can range from around 150 to maybe 396. I would guess it's somewhere around 200+ and 300-. Many roleplays never lasted for longer than a few posts or a few pages, so new characters didn't have time to get introduced.

• Love
Hahaha... ah... haha...

I've been playing since I was 13, and I have a character creation problem. I have too many! It's insane. Right now, active characters only, there are at least fifty, and I've probably forgotten several times that over the past thirteen eyars.

I don't think I could count them if I tried. That would be a lot of browsing through AIM, f-list, skype, notebooks, and more... I don't think I could do it. I probably still wouldn't even have all of them!

Mine probably doesn't go over 50, and I've been role-playing on and off for about five years. Out of these, I have about 5 favorites, and maybe another 5 that I hate. To be fair, though, it takes me a lot of time to create characters because I tend to write lengthy CSes (4,000+ words). Character development is pretty important to me, and that's difficult to achieve when my attention is divided over so many characters and role-plays. Three per role-play is my limit, though normally I only opt for just one character until I find a special reason or inspiration to create another. It's rare that I recycle characters.

Oh god.

Asking a GM this question? I don't know how to answer. Um.

Shit, uh...

... Thousands, at this point. So many that I can just create an NPC on the fly without thinking about it and make them work in basic ways. It's like I have a meat locker filled with millions of organs I can take out at any time to make a new creature.

... And come to think of it, I've probably killed enough characters off to fill an entire locker with meaty organs, too.

Overall the time you have been a role-player, can you remember how many characters you've made? Were there any favorites out of them? Do you still use the same characters that you made when you first started role-playing? Is there a point when there are too many characters? Let's discuss all of the characters you've made over time!

I know its been quite a few over the years. Some forgettable aka those I barely strung a character sheet together for and others I worked on through the years. It is those I hold dear to me. I try not to use the same characters unless the setting is similar for which they will be able to fit.

I don't think you can ever have too many characters. One for a different occasion I say, now roleplaying them all in one thread might be a bit much though.

One of my favorite characters, I might put him on this site, is one I had to really dig into a dark place to develop him. He's insane for no reason. His loyalty is to him and him alone no matter if the goals of others match his own. The reason I like him is because his creation took me a year to master, to do decent to write as a male character. When I put him in the roleplay he was in there was no hesitation, no need to re-work history or anything. Everything was all set.

• Love
Thank you guys for sharing! ^.^

Oh god, how many characters? Uhhh...Considering I'm a writer and have written things over the past...six years I believe? Anyway, because of that, I have a ton of characters that I have shoved into a story or an rp. Um...not sure how many to be exact, but the ones that I have for my Charge universe, I want to flesh them out somehow. So...uh...that will take a while if the character is just a blank slate, lol.

• Love
Despite repeating the usage of characters, I still have a fair share in the hundreds. It'll be easier to list the types of characters I've played.

If you include 'extentions' of characters with personality, such as familiars, it's the halfthousands.

• Love
Ohjeez.

I have a handful of characters that I like enough to recycle them every now and again, but there's usually such a long span of time between each incarnation of them that it's hard to count them as the same character after they've been re-made. Even not counting recycled characters, though, there are just... so many. I certainly wouldn't be able to remember all of them, much less give you a specific number. How does anyone keep track of this sort of thing? O_o

Hundreds.

Like a few people mentioned above, I very rarely recycle characters and almost always create a new character for each roleplay. The only time I really reuse an old character is if the roleplay that character was designed for never got started (i.e.: died after a few posts or my partner dropped). I've had a number of favorites over the years, they sort of go in cycles, really.

I've been roleplaying for well over a decade now, so most of my characters I can't even remember, I'm sure.