A whole hoard of (character-related) questions.

W

Whimsy

Original poster
Hello all!

I humbly seek a mentor.

It is my hope to create a character that I will utilize for a long-term adventure. I have been a little skittish, because I don't like to design a lot of characters all at once. I like to be able to review mythologies, histories, geographies, and general rumors of a world before I feel comfortable diving in. The caveat of this is that everyone has already begun a quest without me, while I'm still mulling over information!

I tend to play it "easy" with characters and give them an inborn class motivation for nosing in people's business: bards, spies, scouts, mercenaries, ect. I feel like I do not have the time to create an elaborate back story that necessitates my character leaving the comfort of their home to jump into the fray.

I avoid mages and highly intelligent spell-casters because I am not confident in my ability to portray their arcane knowledge. Chaotic evil, or outright manipulative villains are difficult for me to play, as well as traditionally masculine (male) characters, but I want to expand my creative horizons.

I have a penchant for smooth-talkers with a diplomatic bent; I have enjoyed charismatic characters, but I find making them physically beautiful is a bit boring to me. I would like to try my hand at a character that gets by through resourcefulness, tenacity, and independence, and not because of his / her ability to schmooze.

Basically, it is my ambition for my character to be an asset to a (fantasy) quest or (science fiction / contemporary) mission, without playing it too safe.

I also am interested to learn about time management and priorities in the context of roleplaying. I don't know how people create multiple elaborate characters!

Best,
Whimsy

Hiya, I will try my best to help you if you want me to.

My pleasure, would you like me to pm you.

I avoid mages and highly intelligent spell-casters because I am not confident in my ability to portray their arcane knowledge. Chaotic evil, or outright manipulative villains are difficult for me to play, as well as traditionally masculine (male) characters, but I want to expand my creative horizons.

I have a penchant for smooth-talkers with a diplomatic bent; I have enjoyed charismatic characters, but I find making them physically beautiful is a bit boring to me. I would like to try my hand at a character that gets by through resourcefulness, tenacity, and independence, and not because of his / her ability to schmooze.

Basically, it is my ambition for my character to be an asset to a (fantasy) quest or (science fiction / contemporary) mission, without playing it too safe.

You could easily take a charismatic yet not bebeautiful and utilitarian approach. It sounds exactly like the thief stereotype, but you obviously want something more from your character. However in reading what you wrote I came to a conclusion. A fantasy roleplay that I was in, I ended up wanting the exactly the same. I chose to create a street brat. A female red head, brave esk poof, and rags for clothes held up by ropes, but was street smart and charadmatic. Could sneak just as good as convince someone of almost anything. By the end of the campaign, she ended up sneaking better and more well equipt than a thief but had that cool charisma the indeed wasn't beauty. Weapon wise I ended up using duel wielding knives using most of my space for ropes, bags, and anything else handy. At one time I had a bag of marbles and small poison veils.

It's an idea to think about for you.

Last edited by a moderator: