Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Primarily Prefer Male
Long ago, there existed many gods, all brought forth by the Allfather. Each god the Allfather created to be His child was given guardianship over one of the races of mortals- Men, Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Goblins, and Ents. Each race constructed a great High Temple to their patron, and at the intersection of all the High Temples would lie the Great Temple of Light, the High Shrine of the Allfather. It was in each of these places that there resided an orb known as a Toja'ar, which means "sliver" in the Ancient Tongue. Each Toja'ar served as the physical connection for its corresponding god, and allowed for them to speak to their priests and grant their blessing unto the races.

And it was around the High Shrine and High Temples that all races lived in peace, and to accomplish the continuation of such peace the Allfather created the Seven Great Spirits, the Ofan, who each gave one gift to the races and ruled over the spirits who were charged to protect the realms aside of the one wherein mortalkind lived. And as thanks to the Ofan, the races built Wayshrines to honor them.

But one day, this peace was not enough, and a King of Men, a demigod son of the god of Men, heard a voice from his father. He tasked His son to spread the glory of Men. And so the kingdoms of Men united into a great empire that invaded the five lands of the other races and forests that the Ents kept, ransacking their High Temples and taking each of the Toja'ari and claiming them in the name of the god of Men. Only the Great Temple of Light was left untouched, for the Allfather slept.

Each race came unto the control of the dominion of Men, and the people were forced to believe that the Allfather and the God of Men were the only gods who held any power. From this shared dominion came forth the Erezal Empire, named after the demigod who began the conquest of all lands and the acquisition of the Toja'ari.

While there was prosperity, the race of Men saw themselves as superior, namely when it came to the Elves, who already had their own strata due to the various clans and subraces.

In the end, the foremost issue of the age came not to which race was superior, but the treatment of mages. Mages, those with the ability to consciously use magic, were the minority of people throughout the Empire- numbering approximately one out of every one hundred. From a young age, those identified as mages would be taken by warriors known as Keepers who served the state-recognized religion that worshiped only the God of Men and the Allfather. The Keepers would then take the young, untrained mages to a mindos- a place filled only with mages and Keepers. Each mindos ranged from massive towers to fallen temples, all under which the Keepers watched the mages for any actions deemed dangerous. The mages themselves were organized according to rank, not by birth or by race. Very few nobles, if born mages, could escape being sent to a mindos, though if they were sent they could eventually return to their family, but without claim to their birthrights- including land and title. In the end, among the mages, there was little tension between races. However, there would be no mages among dwarves, ents, or goblins. They were without trace of magic- save for the ents, who had a magic so intertwined with nature each spell could take years to cast.

In the end, mages began as apprentices, then proceeded to be neophytes. As an apprentice, a mage would be paired with a master and taught most of their knowledge when they came of age. Before that, mage children learned in classes similar to a school. When a master thought that their pupil was ready, the apprentice became a neophyte. Still bound to their master, a neophyte began independent research into magic, ending their training when they can successfully create a spell of their own. From here, a mage becomes an initiate, who- no longer bound to their master- will be tested through the Three Trials to see if they can continue as a mage. If they fail, they may be killed or be stripped of their connection to spirit realm, which is the source of all magic, as is ordered by the Keepers. Should they pass the Three Trials, they will become full mages, attaining the rank of the same name. From there they can become senior mages , masters, and then first masters. A first master, more often than not, will be the leader of a mindos and sits with a Mage's Council with the masters. From there are the grandmasters, who will make up the College of Magi along with the first masters. the College is led by the highest ranking among the mages, the Lord Sorcerer, who also acts a court mage and magical adviser to the emperor.

In recent years, the first Lord Sorcerer not of the race of Men as well as one of the youngest, an Elf by the name of Ragna Gwydion. In the earliest years of his tenure, the empress fell into a grave ill. And with a lack of proper doctors and healers, Ragna did all he could to ease the empress' suffering and heal her, although the illness itself was one that could not be cured by magic, at least not any magic that wouldn't lead to an execution at the hands of Keepers. And so the empress died, and a great prejudice began to fester in the crown prince's heart, personally blaming the mages for the death of his mother.

Years later, the emperor was assassinated while the Lord Sorcerer was away, the emperor having confided in him more than even his sons, and thus the crown prince became the new emperor. Immediately he rallied a good portion of the people of the Empire against the mages, a call to kill the whole of them that won't surrender themselves to the crown and set fire their teachings. And so the people split in two, those who supporting the emperor and those who saw that the mages could be trusted.

---

Hello! I hope you enjoyed the premise of this roleplay.

Our characters could fall on either side, regardless of whether or not they are mages themselves. I would seek a Co-GM, one who wouldn't mind playing or NPCing the new emperor. We would start partially into the war, allowing us to both establish lore and hit the ground running. This roleplay is anticipated to be advanced. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments!

Reactions: AcedIt and Saralaxy
This seems like an interesting idea. How would we go about starting it? Other than us being almost in war and tensions rising, how do you imagine the roleplay going over the days?

Reactions: AceSorcerer
There will be scenes as you typically see in a war RP- negotiations, peace talks, etc- but (without giving too much away) the Toja'ari are going to have a critical role in how the war ends up. For the initial issue, we have the fact that our pro-mage faction doesn't even have a true base- right now they're just situated in what would look like a massive campsite with some hastily made buildings. A decent amount of initial play could be trying to solve these problems and a meeting with the new emperor to try and talk him out of this new conflict. When the meeting fails and conflict begins, tensions are ramped up and there may be some mass hysteria.

I see. I like where you're going with this and I'd be more than happy to join you. When you decide to make the roleplay please tell me. ^-^

Reactions: AceSorcerer
I shall!

Reactions: Saralaxy
[I am here now. I shall volunteer as tribute although you dragged me here~.

Status
Not open for further replies.