A Victorian Romance

Margaret spent the next few days writing to her grandmother furiously, making one letter right after another. She was just had so much running through her head and her parents certainly weren't going to listen to her, they were far to busy starting nasty rumors about the families that had talked badly about her. Her grand mother was eager to get her to come visit for a while and maybe even had Brendon come over as well. Margaret hadn't mentioned his powers to her grandmother but she had told her about how she felt and how sweet he was. Her family had gotten his many apology letters and her parents were rather pleased that he was doing so, taking it as a sign that he was interested. Eventually she sent out a letter to invite him to meet her grandmother, she would be staying with the old woman for a month at her summer home near a nice beach and lovely sea town. Of course he would only have to stay as long as he wanted and her parents would be there was well and also would be keeping an eye on them.

Brendon gratefully accepted this invitation from Lady Margaret, glad for a chance to get away from this house. He didn't care anymore about what the servants told his family. He knew his parents would hate him until the day he died, in spite of his unusual ability that had helped them get so rich. He knew the extent of their ungratefulness, but could do very little to change their ways, so eventually gave up without much of a fight. He stuck to his own beliefs, ignoring their religion completely, since it favored him only with brutal torture for being gifted. He wanted nothing to do with his parents. IF ever he was given an opportunity to escape their hatefulness forever, he'd take it without any hesitation at all. As he wrote to Margaret again, he enclosed his sincere thanks for continuing to invite him over.~ It certainly was the only bright part of his days.

Margaret was so glad that he accepted the invitation and quickly sent a letter to her grandmother, telling her that there would be another guest coming to visit. When the time for the trip came Margaret and her parents rode to Brendon's home to pic him up, everything packed on the carriage they would need for the trip. Margaret was rather excited to see him again, wondering how he had been doing since the party. She planned on making this a nice weekend for him, he deserved it with such horrid parents. When they arrived she waved to him from the carriage, her mother rolling her eyes a bit at her childish actions.

Brendon thanked Margaret's parents as he helped load his one suitcase in the back. He sat next to her, and immediately, sent an air of calmness through the entire carriage, easing tempers and encouraging friendliness. The carriage ride was probably going to be full of questions, but he didn't mind. He answered everything Margaret and her parents wanted to know, and before he knew it, they were at their destination within an hour or two.

They quickly arrived at her grandmother's home, the large estate rather homey and warm; it was the perfect place to be. Her grandmother, a stout old woman who smiled widely at everything, was standing on her stairs as she waited for them to get out of the carriage. As soon as Margaret was free she trotted over to the short old woman and hugged her happily, a happy chuckle slipping out of the old woman as she gladly retuned it. Margaret's parents slowly followed as they made sure everything was taken into the house gently.

Brendon was certainly on his very best behavior as he stepped out of the carriage to shake the hand of the famous woman who Margaret positively adored. He was wistful, having no family he could ever talk to with so much ease or even expect one ounce of compassion from. No, his family came from a long line of cold blooded, religious nutters. However, he noticed that Margaret's grandmother did have a very kind look in her eyes, so she was probably a caring person. Not that he'd ever trouble her in anyway. "My name is Brendon Mitchell, ma'am. I'm pleased to meet you." He said. Today his eyes were more blue than grey, mostly since he was on what he considered a vacation from the hell house.~

Margaret watched happily as her grandmother chuckled and shook Brendon's hand, looking up at him with a kin smile.

"The pleasure is all mine young man, I've heard much about you. Now let's go inside and get you settled, then we can all sit and have some tea."

Margaret felt her cheeks heat up a bit when her grandmother said that, pointing out that she had been the one telling her. She followed her grandmother in while her parents walked in after them, all of the luggage having been taken in by servants. The house was just as welcoming on the inside as it was on the outside. It had all the things a home near the sea would have but it was more comfortable and simpilar. As luggage was taken to rooms, grandmother lead everyone into a nice parlor with plush looking furniture.

He admired the nice house, with its cozy furnishings and lovely scenery. The scent of the sea air was strong here, and it seemed to re-energize him better than any tea or coffee ever could. He gazed at some of the paintings on the wall, and of course, the many plants in potted ferns that were scattered through the home as well. He could definitely adjust here, but soon they were seated in the living room, and talking. Which of course, meant more questions for him to answer. He was surprisingly getting better at this. Perhaps it just felt more relaxed in the house than he'd been anywhere else?

Maraget smiled and talked happily with her grandmother as they sat and had tea. Her ganny seemed to be quite taken with Brendon, asking he many questions. Though Margaret knew that is was just her way of keeping her mother and father from asking any inappropriate questions. The conversations continued on until later in the evening and through dinner, all the topics simple and kind. Eventually everything cooled down a bit and Margaret's parents went up to bed as did her grandmother, leaving Margaret to sit alone on the balcony that faced the sea as she enjoyed the evening breeze.

Brendon of course, was quite the charmer that afternoon, and late evening until everyone else went right to bed. He watched Margaret through the balcony doors for a moment, and then decided to see if she'd want company. "I'm already impressed with your grandmother. She's very kind." He told her, leaning just slightly against the rail and gazing out in the distance. "And I have to thank you again for this vacation. It's certainly proving to be the best I've had." He added, more at ease away from home and society.

Margaret smiled at him a bit as she also looked out into the night, the stars bright and the sounds of waves hitting the shore drifting into her ears.

"I am glad, I had a feeling that you would need it...and I certainly didn't want to be stuck here with just my parents, they'd just want to sit in the house the whole time." She said as she stood up and joined him. "I am also glad that you like Gran, she is also very fond of you. She certainly wasn't this way with my other suitors."

His smile couldn't have been brighter at Margaret's words. "Well that certainly is a good sign. I hope you're happy as well. I wouldn't ever want to make you upset." He told her in his soft, gentle voice. His eyes were kind, though his face showed concern for her feelings. As always, he placed her before himself, it was easier to think of Margaret as a close friend now, but someday he really would like to see them married and content.

Margaret felt her cheeks heat up at his words, her smile also widening a bit. She was so happy to have him here with her now, for a moment she couldn't help but think that it would be nice to marry him someday. Have it just be the two of them, no nasty parents or bad friends. On the topic of marriage, she knew that she couldn't avoid such a topic with Brendon forever, it was bound to be brought up by either her parents or his own. She cleared her throat a bit and looked back out at the sea.

"I am happy, Mr. Mitchell...I see you as a good friend. However, the situation we are in is looking to make us...more than that. My parents have spoken to me about it and I was wondering if your's have brought up the topic of marriage as well."

It was true, both of their parents were extremely manipulative with their only children. "Yes, they have. But they also remind me every day of my life this arrangement will undoubtedly fail... because who could ever love a son of Satan?" He shrugged, gazing out at the ocean waves, letting the grey blue color calm him, even as it matched his eye color. . .for now. It was no lie, he wanted to kiss Margaret, but he'd never be pushy or forceful as undoubtedly her other suitors had. He was different from everyone, and yet, he had romantic notions as well as dreams. But in his case, did any of them matter?

Margaret looked up at him quietly for a moment before she looked back out at the sea to avoid his gaze. She shyly reached out a hand and placed it on top of his gently, interlocking their fingers.

"I think I could learn too..." She said softly, her cheeks lit up brightly for having done such a thing.

Brendon smiled at Margaret for her words. He gently held her hand in his own, admiring how small and elegant hers were compared to his large, muscular ones. "Then there might be hope for someone as 'evil' as me." He replied in a quiet voice. The romance of the place was getting to him, the fact they were completely alone didn't help, nor did the moon or stars in all their brilliance. "Lady Margaret. . .would it be too overbearing or uncomfortable if I asked, just to kiss you tonight?" He asked her, before his nerves could wither again.

Margaret turned to him and looked up at him with bright red cheeks, her face so warm that it could burn someone. She certainly couldn't bring herself to say no to him, not with her heart beating like this. She felt like she was on air and she slowly nodded her head before she looked back down at the ground, to embarrassed to keep eye contact with him much longer.

"No, in fact...I think I would regret it if you did not do so." She said softly.

Brendon smiled even more, and he gently tilted her face towards his. It was his first kiss as well, but he seemed t know what to do. His lips met her own, and he was surprised at how easy it seemed to kiss her. His arms wrapped lightly around her waist, but he didn't pull on her or turn aggressive. In fact, he let her take charge, if she wanted to.

Margaret knew that her face was bright red but she didn't care, her mind was else where as he kissed her sweetly. Her heart beat a mile a minute as he wrapped his arms around her waist lightly. She shyly placed her hands upon his chest as she leaned in a bit more, pressing her lips a little more tightly against his. She was so happy at that moment that she never wanted it to end.

He hated to see the moment end as well, but both of them -did- require air, which he let both of them get once he reluctantly pulled back. "That was perfect. You're a natural, Lady Margaret." He told her, smiling again, and watching her expression closely.