A Victorian Romance

Margaret's mother greeted Brendon kindly, her usual strict and cool air having vanished as she rushed about the front hall calling out orders to rushing maids and butlers. However, the temper about her still showed that she was strict and ever so demanding, especially tonight. The garden out back was lovely in the evening, completely lit by bright lanters hung by strings or attacked to the braches of trees. The open yard was covered in small tables with comfortables chairs surrounding them, ment to be places for drink and talk. Servents were making last minute adjustments, placing centerpieces on the table and strightening out table cloths.

A few other guests had arrived early as well, most being highclass families whoes sons and daughter she had known in school, and had taken seats and drinks as they waited for the party to begin. The father's had taken to one, all in suits and chuckling as they sipped high end brandy, the mothers took another area and were all gossiping so quickly they sounded like bees. The sons had taken to a game of bocce ball that had been set up for the men. Margaret herself as settled in a seating area surrounded by the daughters. All were wearing their best ball gowns and decorated to attract male attention, making the purpose of the also to show off the 'roses' of the wealthy parents that would be speaking with Margaret's own.

Margaret stood out of course among the bright colors and frills, her pale yellow dress pooling out around her thickly, the skirt being very wide and having a small train. Her shoulders were exposed and her hair was lifted into a mass of curls on top of her bed, decorated with colorful clips and matching flowers. Among them she seemed much more open than before and quite the chatter box, a wide smile on her face as she laughed along with what one of the girls said. She waved he fan lightly as she leaned in and murmured something to another girl, having yet to notice the enterance of their lates arrival.

Brendon got along with everyone attending the party. He was a very social fellow, and even enjoyed the small game with the other men for bocce ball. He easily helped his team win, then waved to them as he strolled over to Lady Margaret's group, casually waiting for her to notice, though looking quite at ease! He gave off no false airs here, and seemed more relaxed now that his parents were gone for the entire month. Still, he didn't want to be a pushy person while Margaret was chatting with her female friends, all seemingly dressed in beautiful gowns, but it was still only Margaret he noticed most.~

Margaret did not notice that Brendon was there until she happened to glance his way while chatting animatedly with the girls, it was almost as if her attitude changed in the blink of an eye. Her fan was now covering her face more as she looked back to her girls, speaking with them a bit more clamly than before. The others didn't seem to take to much notice of the sudden change since they all knew her very well and this was must apart of her character. Then, while there seemed to be a pause in their conversation, Margaret looked back to Brendon and waved him over, not wanting to be impolite to the very person that she personally invited. The other girls seemed to notice her motion and all turned to look at Brendon, a small fit of giggling breaking out followed by quick and quiet whispering among them. When he arrived the sounds stopped and the girls smiled at him politely, some fluttering their eyelashes sweetly at him.

"Mr. Mitchell, I am so glad you could make it, pardon me for not noticing your arrival sooner, I was deep in conversation." Margaret said as she then motioned to her girls with her fan. "Let me introduce you to my friends, for I am sure that names will be lost this evening considering how many guests mother invited...It's a good thing, that those who arrived early did, or else I am certain the traffic would be terrible."

"It was terrible already on the way here Margaret, all those boys from the academy have been dying to see you again." One girls said teasingly, her brown curls and green eyes standing out with the help of her freckled and flushed cheeks.

Margaret sent her a playful glare before she looked back to Brendon.

"This is Ethel McCallin, she's the daughter of a close friend of my mothers. Over here is Maria and Clarie, these two are twin but don't worry, they won't get to mad if you call them by the wrong name..."

The polite introductions continued on until the whole group was introduced to Brendon, most of the girls having either said hello or just giggled shyly. Margaret then cunning looped her arm with his and looked back to her girls.

"I shall speak to you all later when tea is served, I must show Mr. Mitchell around, upon mothers request." She said quickly before pulling him along towards the roses.

Margaret wasn't one to get jealous, but she knew her friends were quick to snatch a man if he catched their eye, and Brendon was certainly a catch. She calmly walked with him around the perimeter of the party, more and more guests pouring in as the time of the party drew closer and closer. She looked to Brendon quietly for a second before speaking.

"I am sorry, about not seeing you sooner, but I was so deep in conversation with them and it had been months since I've seen any of them." She said softly.

Brendon didn't mind, and was polite to all of them! But he was glad when Margaret pulled him out of the group. "It's perfectly alright. I wasn't going to impose. I'd say the party's going well. Is there anything you and I should talk about just now?" He asked casually, glad to see she was enjoying herself. Soon however, he felt an odd distinct chill in the air, though he couldn't pinpoint its exact location just then, not with all the activity and noise around. He shrugged off his suspicion, thinking he was being just a bit paranoid for no good reason. After all, this was a good party, nothing should go wrong..he hoped!

Margaret thought quietly for a moment as she tried to think if there was anything to speak about.

"Well, We could talk about the weather...or books...You know I think I like the sound of books better." She said a bit jokingly as she looked past him and at the party. "By any chance did your parents come with you? The invitation was extended to them as well, I wouldn't want them thinking I was being rude." She said to him.

She had extended it to his parents, out of politeness and at the demand of her mother and father. However she noted that she had yet to see them and couldn't help but wonder if they had gotten lost in the crowd and conversation, or even showed up at all, considering that Brendons father actually stayed in his carriage instead of coming in for tea.

Brendon was momentarily distracted by Margaret's conversation, and was about to discuss his -real- favorite authors, when he noticed a malicious-looking spirit covered from head to toe, in silvery blood stains, wearing even older-fashioned clothing than today's standards! He inclined not to alarm Margaret, because most people didn't see spirits, or talk to them as he did. However, he radiated a great deal of power just then, seemingly glowing a bright green light. To the normal human eyes, it wouldn't be visible, but a subtle shift in his demeanor took on that of "I'm going to tell you to leave and you'd best listen!" sort of pose. The spirit however, was more interested in acting foolish, even tauntingly by appearing in front of Margaret! Without thinking, he silently in his mind, said an exorcist spell, which caused that spirit to vanish into thin air, without anymore fuss!

"So, my favorite authors would definitely be Aleister Crowley, and of course, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. What of yours? I imagine you have a great number of favorites," He said with a smile. All that time, he hadn't looked -noticeably- different to non-magic user's eyes, but if she'd been anything psychic, she probably saw the entire event. Hopefully, she wasn't burdened with such power like he was.~

Margaret didn't notice any change in Brendon other than the small pause in his step for a second or two, causeing her to stop as well as she continued to look over the party in search of his paretns, and more importantly her own. She looked back to him quickly when he started to list his favorite authors to her, nodding her head politely as he spoke.

"I happen to love Jane Austen, well as Lady Collins and Sir Donald Conroy, I love all of their novels." She said calmly as she waved her fan lightly and started to walk with him again, this time heading back towards the party, a small band having set up as young men and women surried about to find a partner as old couples walked to the open area.

"Ah yes, Lady Collins is nice to read as well as Jane Austen." He agreed, walking next to her towards the party area. The band was playing light classical music, which had a happy-feeling to the tunes, keeping everyone spirited. "My parents do keep a very huge library down in the first floor. Hopefully I can show you someday." He said with a smile, as they went to take their seats among the crowd. Everything was falling into place for the garden party, though he hoped no more spirits or strange events would take place. The roses here truly were beautiful, and Margaret's parents had plenty of good cause to show them off.

Margaret smiled a bit as they took their seat among the others, Maregaret's friends quickly swooping in and chattering with her while some of the boy came over and spoke with Brendon. It seemed that all the young people where chattering away as the background music played, nothing dance worthy having been played.

"I'd like that, Mr. Mitchell." She said lightly as her friends giggled amongst themselves before dragging Margaret back into the conversation once more.

Brendon chatted with the other men who had flocked to him, even their girlfriends wanted to speak to him! He couldn't help having that affect on people, though he didn't seem to realize how much of a popular person he was just as soon as he walked through a room or a building. He managed a smile to Lady Margaret before the groups conversed. It was a beautiful day for a garden party; not a cloud in the sky, the sun was fully up, and the air had a refreshing breeze. Best of all, he didn't see another spirit for miles around. They must have gotten his message from before!

The party seemed to go like this, Margaret and Brendon rather close but at the same time very far. They were certainly the most popular people at the party! Girls continued to flock to Margaret and compliment her as well as say hello before giggling as they asked about Brendon. She would reply smoothly to them about how he was a guest and left it at that, she knew better than to let any type of gossip form about them, that would only fuel that fire that was sitting under her to get her to marry. She couldn't help but glance at Brendon occasionally, making sure that he was having a good time, it was her duty after all since he was her guest...Or at least she kept telling herself that anyway. Eventually the band started to play some livelier songs hinting that soon there would be dancing to partake in. This made Margaret al little worried. Everytime there was dancing she would quickly be surrounded by men, eager for a dance, most of the time there would even be a line for her, meaning she would be dancing until all of the songs had been played. She hoped that she could find an excuse not to dance, maybe say that the heat had made her dizzy or she had a sore leg.

Brendon didn't mind at all, considering they were crowded with such nice people! He traded jokes with the other men, until it was time for Margaret's mother to walk up to the stage and make a speech about the roses blooming around them. Really though, the scent of the flowers was very pleasant, and the atmosphere even more so! Plus, he got to spend some time with Margaret, which just made his day entirely. He forgot all about his troubles whenever he thought of her for some reason.

After her mothers speech the dancing began, Margaret quietly excused herself from the group of ladies she was with. She knew that as soon as the men were close enough they would all demand a dance with her. At least by leaving she could let her friends get a few dances before she was swarmed. She headed into her home, planning to freshen up and bit before the dances, as well as check in with her mother, which she had demanded that she do before the party started.

Brendon had no idea where Margaret had gotten to, but he figured she was off refreshing herself. In the meantime, he was dancing casually with a few girls from Margaret's clique, all of whom wanted to know practically everything about him; right down to his favorite color! He of course sensed schemes miles away, so he only humored some of the questions, leaving most unanswered in a frustrating manner, yet non-offensive one. By the time Margaret returned he was definitely looking forward to dancing with her! He was also pleased to see the party would possibly dwindle by early evening. He'd be able to get to sleep fairly early that night if all continued to go well.~

Margaret returned eventually and took a seat amoung her friends who had already danced and were resting. She hoped no one would come up to her if she was sitting with them. She then noticed that Brendon was dancing and couldn't help but be a little curious, then again he was rather friendly, it only made sense that he would dance with a girl if she wished for him too. She coudln't help but be a little peeved though, he was her guest, he should be talking with her, not dancing with others...not that she was getting jealous or anything.

Margaret would soon see she had no reason for jealousy, especially as he gracefully, yet diplomatically managed to depart from all his lady admirers! He also hadn't been impressed with any of the other females as he was with Margaret! He approached her shortly after escaping, and very politely asked if Lady Margaret would care to dance with him. After all, it was her he'd wanted to dance with the whole time, and it showed in the way his stormy-eyes seemed to warm up just by being around her. If she said no however, he'd understand. But he certainly hoped she said yes.

The girls all around Margaret seemed to giggled, as her cheeks tinted pink. They all knew Margaret didn't like dancing with men very much, since usually she was being tossed from partner to partner so that evreyone would get a turn. However, instead of coming up with a way to get out of it she accepted and set down her fan before standing. She took his arm and walked with him to the floor, leaving all her friends gawking in surprise. Margaret knew she pulled a risky move by accepting in front of her friends, but maybe they would leave Brendon alone it she showed that even she wanted to dance with him...Also, she really did want to dance with him. He was rather grancefull and at least this ment that she wouldn't get ehr feet stepped on.

Brendon had no clue -as usual- his mysterious affect on the female population! He was so completely dense when it came to realizing someone from the opposite gender was swooning over his physical charm, or his old-fashioned mannerisms. Really though, he hoped Margaret did at least like him as a friend. He viewed her as a potential romantic interest, but so far, she seemed to only want a friend from him. Which, he gladly gave! As they danced however, natural chemistry seemed to sneak up on them like misty fog you don't notice until you're shrouded in it. He twirled her gracefully in time with the music, never missing a step, and always careful as though Margaret were made of spun glass. He found himself feeling oddly wistful during that party!~

Margaret had to admit, dancing with Brendon was quite the treat! There was no awkward conversation, no misplaced foot to make her trip, it was just a smile and plesant atmosphere that surrounded them. She seemed to be getting lost in the evening dance as well, an out of place smile on her lips as Brendon twirled her around to the music. Oh, if her mother saw her she would be giddy with delight! But, in all honestly, she really didn't care if she was making her parents happy or not, for spending time with Brendon was rather enjoyable just by itself. Margaret did notice one thing though, it was becoming very hard for her not to flirt, to slip in a teasing note as a dance ended and another started, Brendon not missing a beat to steal her for another whirl around the floor and upset the long line of boys waiting their turn. If she didn't know any better she would think that she was falling for him! That was silly though, there had not been a man to catch her interest ever, and Brendon would be no different than the rest...at least she assumed anyway.

Brendon smiled at Margaret, only making small talk, certainly no pointless conversations usually left his lips! He was at his element that night, dressed in a fine tuxedo, his shoes polished, and his hair brushed in a slight way that made him 'dark haired and mysterious' sort of style. His storm-colored eyes were unusually lighter, with faint traces of gold, as if for the first time sunlight could break through their usual grey-blue sadness. He wished his parents would stay gone forever, not just a month! Then he could be his own person far easier without his manipulative cow-mother trying to pull his life strings like a puppet master.

As the party began to wind down however, he noticed the music was beginning to turn less lively and more background noise-so to speak. There were a few good solos left, but really it was easy to view the music like a filter now, and many of the guests were beginning to leave in their own carriages, after thanking the hostess for the wonderful time. Regretfully, he knew it was about time for him to do the same. But not without the briefest hug for Margaret, not caring for once that his move might be bold. It was a simple hug. One a friend would give another. Truth be told, he'd kiss her right there if he had any less common sense than he did that evening.~ "I had a very nice day, Lady Margaret. Thank you a thousand times over for inviting me." He said with real warmth in his voice. And in the break of the twilight, his eyes changed completely from grey blue, to a very bright gold!