A Troublesome Assignment

Seth stared at her for a few beats, heaven and hell, angels what was she on really. He had never been much of a believer especially not since his mother died and he definetly didn't believe in heaven and angels, it was just absurd, it would be easier to believe in vampires actually. "Are you really expecting me to believe that?" he asked sharply, refusing to believe her words. "I am the wrong person to pull that on, try it on someone who actually believes in god for a start and get a better explanation while you're at it." Fallen soul, that was just stupid as well, sure he wasn't perfect or even good but why the hell would he need help to become a better person just so an angel could get her wings, assuming angels existed which they did not.

Rose wasn't affected by his harsh tone. She said simply, "Pull what? I'm telling the truth. That's why you didn't find a pulse because I don't have one. I didn't die because i'm already dead." Rose lifted up the shirt she was wearing enough so he could see her stomach and the faint scar she had. "See i'm already partially healed." she said standing up. Rose snapped her finger and a small golden ring appeared above her head and the clothes she was wearing turned into a short, white tunic, almost like a Greek goddess would wear. "That guy you saw earlier was not a friend but my boss, Gabriel. How much more proof would you like?"

Seth was a realist most of the time, because of his upbringing he was inclined to believe in unexplainable things but at the same time his brain refuse to accept things without plausible proof, and this was kind off hard to explain with logic, how often could people snap their fingers and cause a halo to appear as well as instantly change clothes and have only a scar where a deep woud had recently been? For once Seth stood silent in chock without finding ant words or the ability to move until he blinked and got out of the daze. "So you mean that you are an actual angel, or one to be, and that weirdo was one as well? For real?" He said almost accusingly, like people who get their faith shaken Seth now had it the other way around, having his firm belief that there is no other life or higher power completely torn apart. "And you also mean there is a God as well then I take it?" His tone changing to a mix of mocking and disbelief.

Rose just nodded her head while he talked. "I would be careful calling Gabriel a weirdo. He is not someone you would want to anger. But yes we are both angels. I just don't have a super important job like him yet because I don't have my wings. And yes this means there is a God. Any other questions?" she asked him. Some people really do have to see to believe she thought to herself.

Rolling his eyes Seth let out an annoyed scoff, "whatever, it's not like he is standing here listening." Besides Seth had never allowed another persons looks or autorithy derail him from saying what he wanted or do as he wished, unless they were too many, he may be reckless but he wasn't stupid. "Yeah, why the heck do you need to follow me around for? Get another assignment to follow and guide back to an obedient, perfect person and let me live my life," he snapped. Angry of being treated like a job by a heaven he just learned was real, without having a say in the matter apparently. Part of him still debated over if this could in any way be faked, and he guessed it could be possible but then he would really like to know who the heck was skilled enough to make it seem like Rose changed clothes with a snap of her fingers. Muttering to himself Seth went to grab another beer from the fridge letting Rose follow if she wanted to, leaning against the counter as he opened the bottle he only wished he had something stronger at home, he could really need it now but a beer would have to suffice.

"He doesn't have to be standing here to be able to hear you." , Rose said under her breath. His next comment really ruffled her feathers...well it would have if she had any. Rose followed him into the kitchen. She snatched the beer bottle out of his hand and threw it against the opposite wall ignoring it as the bottle shattered. "Do you think i'm enjoying running around here following you? I could find much better things to do with my time than that. Do you think I asked for any of this? I didn't ask to die. I didn't ask to have to babysit ungrateful people like you. I wish it was that easy to tell my boss to give me another person." she said. Rose took a deep breath and walked towards his window. "But you know what? I'm not wasting anymore of my breath. Have a nice life." she said before disappearing.

Her outburst actually left Seth standing frozen in surprise as she stormed out, a pointed retort never leaving his lips, barely noticing the shattered bottleon his floor, for seeming like such a petite softspoken girl she sure had a temper, and while Seth didn't really regret his words he could see her point, dying was surely not the first choice for most people. Then again she had said it was not easy to get a new assignment so perhaps she had no choice but to come back, not that it was his problem really but this so called high ranked angel Gabriel didn't really seem like the type you argued with and won. Starting to get back to his normal self he looked down on the floor registrating the mess and cursed under his breath he started picking up the pieces of glass, earning a cut for his troubles, before mopping the liquid up. While pondering over what had just happened Seth was hit by the thought of his clothes, or more specifically those she had borrowed from him, where were they now? She had changed into that weird looking tunic thingy so where was his clothes, he did not care much about his clothes but they cost money to buy and effort to steal, leaning against the counter he wondered if he should go up now or when she had calmed down, not interested at being screamed at again, sighing he pushed away from the counter and left his apartment before realizing he didn't know where she lived.

Rose entered her apartment and slammed the door behind her. She walked into her bedroom and put on the first thing that she saw in her closet. After that she folded the clothes that she had borrowed from Seth ,they had been in her tunic pocket, and laid them on her bed. Letting out a sigh of frustration she pulled out the cell that the office had given her and dialed Gabriel. Hopefully he would understand and would let her change assignments. He picked up and after a brief but heated conversation Rose was left in tears and with no new assignment. Wiping her eyes she decided to take his clothes back to him since she had no need for them now. Rose walked out of her apartment and ran into someone walking down the hall. She looked up to see Seth. "Here." she said holding out the clothes and turning to walk away.

Just when he was starting to feel lost Seth got the solution of his little problem as he almost walked into Rose as she came down the hall, she looked upset and suspiciously red around her eyes. Now Seth had little conscience about many things, with a few exceptions, but crying always gave him an uncomfortable feeling and he disliked being the cause of it even more. “Thanks,” he muttered as she gave him his clothes. He held back a sigh, already half regretting what he was about to do.

“Look,” he said awkwardly as Rose was about to leave again, he was not used to this at all. “I shouldn't have lashed out so at you, and I'm guessing you're stuck with me?” Seth felt so out of his element here, it had been a long time since he bothered to deeply about others feelings. “Since you, and apparently me as well, have no choice about this,” he continued with an inward annoyed thought to the stubborn angels in charge. “It would go a lot smoother if we try to get along instead. What happens if you fail with your assignment?”

"You're welcome." Rose said quietly, walking away. She stopped though when she heard Seth talking again. She turned around to listen to him. When he asked if they were stuck together Rose simply sniffled and nodded her head. When he was done Rose had a small smile on her face. "Thanks i appreciate the apology. I'm sorry too about throwing the bottle I guess my temper got the best of me." she said with a small laugh that turned serious quickly when he asked what would happen if she failed her assignment. "Well let's just say that I wasn't the best of people when I was alive but I wasn't the worst either. Truthfully i'm in a sort of purgatory state right now and this assignment is my make or break. So if I fail ,please excuse my pun, but my existence would be hell." she said. Rose looked down and saw that Seth had cut his hand. "You're hurt. Come here." she said taking his uninjured hand and pulling him into her apartment.

While Seth was not a religious type he found that very unfair and cruel, and not that he had believed in the afterlife and still really had a hard time believing in it but he had always wondered why people continued to pray to and believe in a God that threw them to hell if they had not been perfect in life, okay he could understand psycopaths and killers being judged harshly but otherwise it was just unbelievable. This also made him feel conflicted when he thought about it, she seemed like a very nice girl and she would be thrown to hell if she failed with him, still he didn't like being controlled into anyhting by anyone but himself. "That's just crazy," he said. "No wonder I never caught on to religion." As she noticed his cut, which Seth ahd already forgotten about really, Rose pulled him into her apartment, "it's just a cut." Seth said, it was not the first scratch he'd had and certainly not the worst one so far, that one would probavly go to the broken bottle smashed into his neck in a fight, he still had a dip where the cut had been.

Rose just shrugged her shoulders. "It is what it is. I'm not complaining though because I don't intend to fail. Besides i would rather be here doing this than to have been sent straight to hell." she said. She left him sitting in her living to get the first aid kit in her bathroom. She returned and sat down on the couch. "It may be just a cut to you but I feel bad for being the cause of it." she said pulling out an alcohol pad and wiping the cut. After that she took out some neosporin and a bandaid. "There all done." she said happily.

He shrugged slightly at her words, but he did agree with her to a degree, it was better to get a chance at a good afterlife instead of being thrown directly to hell, at least if it was anywhere close to the stories and Seth had never been much fond of extreme heat. As she cleaned the cut with alcohol his mouth twitched slightly at the sting, for some odd reason he had always thought that in some ways small wounds hurt much more than larger wounds did, the annoying stinging could feel worse than it actually was. "Thanks," he muttered as she finished. He was a bit surprised at her happiness, she could change emotions so easily, he had a harder time adjusting, if he was upset he couldn't just turn a switch and be happy, for him it took awhile to change, apparently not for her though. However he wondered about the success of her mission, perhaps, hypothtically she could have changed his mind and personality slowly, maybe, but when he knew about it his mind struggled against it, determined to not be led by someone else. At the same time though he didn't want to cause someone to die, or well not die per se but go to hell, despite his life style and many fights Seth had never killed someone, hurt people severely yes but not killed.

"So, how much time do you have?" He asked, a bit curious as well. "Or does heaven care about mortal time even?" His voice turned to mockery when he mentioned heaven, it wasn't entirely on purpose but he couldn't really help it.

Rose watched as his mind seemed to be somewhere else. Seth was so easy to read, well at least sometimes. She could tell he was curious about her switching moods. She also knew that now her job was probably going to be harder since he knew most everything now. Rose sat back down on the sofa. She thought for a second about Seth's question. "I'd be careful being so mocking. But to be honest with you i'm not entirely sure how much time I have. And to answer your unasked question...I can't stay angry for long periods of time. That's not just an angel thing. I was like that as a human too. Never understood it." she said.

Seth looked at her, eyebrows rosed slightly, was he so easy to read? It must be an angel thing he guessed, most people normally couldn't tell his thoughts or emotions, which is why he was so good at pokeras no one could tell what he had or if he bluffed, it was annoying but also intriguing in a way, a person that wasn't so easy to decieve. "Well, I'm normally not one to shy away from showing or saying what I think so if some people can't handle that then it's their problem," he said. Seth guessed thats why she could such a cheery person then, even if she got angry it didn't last long, she was more Laura than he'd thought from the start actually, putting aside the fact that one of them was dead at least, but Seth had a hard time remembering that Rose actually had died and become an angel, she seemed so full of life. "So, a person can become an angel at their death, is it like that for everyone or only for some people?" He asked after a few beats, curious if everyone got the chance to become an angel or demon or if some just went to an after life in between.

Rose just rolled her eyes at his comment about people dealing with what he said. Don't say I didn't warn you she thought. It didn't take long for Rose to reply to his question. "Oh yes I know that you aren't shy. As for your question, that depends on how you were in life. Good people immediately are granted being an angel. Extremely bad people immediately go to down the stairs. People like me are given jobs such as this or may be told to do other things." she said.

"Hmm, okay," he said a bit absently. Now when he knew that religious superstision wasn't just a bunch of stories put together he was more determined than ever to make sure Luara grew up to be better than him, in no way did he intend for her to even risk being sent to hell, he would rather go in her stead if that would help. Well, according to what Rose had said he was pretty certain of where he was going despite any deals he could make. "That reminds me," Seth said snapping back to reality. "Exactly how much do you now about me," he asked. His tone suspisious. He wondered how much she managed to find out with her strong intuition and how much she already knew, who knew how much the angels did to help their angels-to-be.

Rose bit her bottom lip. She didn't know if he would want to know the whole truth. But her superiors told her not to tell me him anything. Rose replied, "I'm not allowed to tell you exactly. But let's just say that if I wanted to I could publish a detailed biography about you." Rose was starting to feel faint again. She really needed to "sleep" but she knew Seth would have more questions. So instead she went to her kitchen and ate some ambrosia and then came back to the living room. That should do for now she thought.

Well wasn't that just peachy, Seth thought feeling very annoyed, and exposed having people or rather angles knowing all about him, but he held back from lashing out at Rose again as it was her superiors he was angry with and he had a disturbig feeling that he would be the one to loose in another fight. He wasn't extrememly private or strict about people not knowing his past but he didn't exactly like the thought of someone having access to pretty much his entire life but no matter how much it annoyed him there wasn't really any realistic way he could hinder that. "So you actually have no reprecussions from that wound?" He asked, stepping around the whole business about her 'life' hanging on her turning him into a better person, if he started arguing over that agin he was pretty sure they'd both loose their tempers.

Rose was slightly surprised by his question. She was waiting on him to loose his temper once again. She was happy though that he didn't. Rose didn't think she could handle another confrontation. So she thought a moment about it. She didn't really feel anything from it anymore. After recharging and eating some ambrosia she felt really good. So she shrugged. "It doesn't hurt anymore just kind of an annoying stinging when i touch or move that area. But it should be gone in a day or two. There isn't a mark anymore either." she said.