A Troublesome Assignment

She had a point there, people would always be able to see what she felt and would know when she lied or not, but that wasn't always such a good thing, he thought. Sometimes it could be very good knowing how to lie, or at least cover your feelings and show nothing outwards, but that was her problem not his. Seth was relieved when she didn't ask further, he didn't care much to talk about his past or his life, he had no reason to hide it but that didn't mean he liked remembering his childhood, more specifically his mother. Looking at the building she pointed at Seth thought for a moment before answering. "It's an office building, some sort of large company owns it," he said. "This street has a lot of offices and so there is also many cafès and restaurants nearby."

"Interesting...I haven't had food in so long..." she said thinking out loud. It took a few minutes before Rose caught her mistake. "I mean real food. Been eating out a lot." she said quickly hoping that that excuse was gokd enough for Seth. She really didn't want to have to explain her true situation. That would take way too much time and energy. Although now that he mentioned restaurants she could feel herself getting hungry.

Turning his grey eyes on the girl Seth was actually a bit taken a back, had she spoken metaphorically, but it sounded on her like it had been a long time since she last ate. But that wasn't very likely right, humans needed food every day ideally so she must have just worded herself in a weird way, but although he shouldn't be his instinct told him something was odd with ths girl. Then she must have caught her wording as she clarified by mentioning she meant home cooked food, it was a better explanation than the first one but a small sliver of doubt lingered inside him.

"I can relate," he said shortly. Technically Seth wasn't a terrible cook, it would be fully possible for him to eat home cooked food more often but he never bothered with cooking and preferred the easier way out by eating junk food and maybe going to a cafè at times. Continuing down the street the smell of food wafted out from several buildings and a lot of people were eating lunch, causing Seth's stomach to rumble quietly, he'd eaten a toast a few hours ago and then a few beers, not the most fulfilling meals one could have. Looking around he saw a small restaurant the he had been to several times before, "do you mind if we stop by?" He had always been one that liked to eat, and by some lucky genes he had a fast metabolism, even with a stranger Seth was inclined to stop and eat. "I'm getting kinda hungry."

As they walked the smells coming from the Cafés and restaurants nearby had her mouth watering. Everything smelled so wonderful! Rose had forgotten what it was like. As an angel she didn't have to eat much. Just a little nectar and ambrosia here and there to keep up her energy. After a while even that starts tasting like nothing. So when Seth asked if she minded if they stopped she almost jumped for joy. Keeping her composure she said, "Oh no I don't mind at all. I was actually about to ask the same thing."

Relieved he didn't have to ditch her or had to coerce her to be able to eat Seth looked down the street to find a good place, he wasn't a picky eater so as long as the food didn't contain mushrooms then he ate basically everything. "This is a good place," he said to Rose, heading for a small restaurant letting her follow if she wanted. He didn't bother asking if she had any preference in food, firstly she was new here and didn't know anything about these place and secondly he didn't much care. Despite the time of day there were a few tables available and Seh quickly choose one and sat down his stomach rumbled slighly again as the smell of food was stronger here.

"I'll take you word for it.", Rose said. Rose followed behind Seth. She didn't really care where they went so long as the place served good food. She figured that he didn't really care much for her preference anyway since he didn't ask where she wanted to go. Something else to add to the list she thought to herself. She marveled at the amount of people in the restaurant despite the time. Rose loved to people watch, especially because people and angels were so different. She sat down at the table opposite Seth and waited fore a menu. She laughed when she heard his stomach rumble.

Getting the menu Seth looked through it absently, he pretty much always got the same thing here, they had amazing burgers that was well worth the price compared to a junk food place, waiting until Rose was done deciding he waved over the waitress again to order, he could almost taste the food already. Waiting for the food to come he looked over at Rose, slightly annoyed over the smoke prohibition in restaurants. "So, is Canada a lot different?" He'd never traveled anywhere and in a small Irish village you didn't get much chances to see large cities besides Seth had never really had an urge to travel and see new places.

Rose decidee to go big. She wanted a large order of fries, a 3/4 lb burger, onion rings, and a few chicken nuggets. Can't wait! She thought. Rose put her menu down and watched as Seth called over a waitress. She gave her order to the woman and turned back to Seth. She thought for a moment about his question. She had only been to Canada once in her human life. And that was so long ago she hardly remembered anything about it. "It's gorgeous. A lot less buildings and a lot more forest but i didn't really mind it." she said hoping she sounded convincing.

Hearing her order Seth was a bit surprised, most girls he met, or at least those he ate with, always ordered small portions and mostly sallad seemingly on a diet all the time when they already were thin as can be, it was both unusual and nice to see a girl eat healthy, in his eyes, worrying about what you eat, especially if you were thin already was just superficial and shallow. "Seems a bit like Ireland, much more nature than city," he said as she answered him. While her answer was a short but valid description it was still empty, he could mention so much more of his home country, of the beautyful green, rolling hills, the clear rivers and sharp edges of the island dropping into the ocean and the strong winds and salty smell near the cliffs. In a way that was what he preferred, sure it was nice to live where everything was within a few minutes walking distance but it couldn't make up for the clear air, no city sounds and the actual possibility to see stars at night. When the food came he dug in on his fries first, a habit of his to always finish the fries first for some reason.

Rose just nodded at his reply. She couldn't focus because their food had arrived. Once it was sat on the table she said a quick prayer and then dug into her fries. She noticed that Seth had done the same thing. She meantally smiled. Oh how i have missed eating like this she thought. Out loud she said, "Wow this place is really good." A few minutes later Rose had finished with the onion rings and fries and moved on to her burger. The food wasn't really doing much to fill her up. It was more like eating really tasty air but she wasn't complaining.

Seth nodded in agreement at her words, "hmm, they are good." The place was greatn pretty much everything on their menu was good and they were still surprisingly cheap compared to similar places, the only downside was the smoke prohibition, he was itching for a smoke as he finished his fries but had to make do with some soda instead. He wasn't really a crazy smoker but he found it a bit relaxing as well as it was just a long standing habit that was more instinct than need now. "How is the city so far then?" He asked as he dug in on his burger.

Rose could see that Seth was dying to have a smoke. It was in the way he talked and the look in his eye. She shook her head mentally. Baby steps Rose baby steps she reminded herself. She leaned back in her chair taking a few sips of her water. She looked down at her empty and was sadened that it was all gone. She looked up whem Seth asked her something. "It's alright. Just really noisy, crowded, and not so clean. It would be better if i knew some people here." she said.

While he didn't say anything out loud Seth did agree with her, the city had many faults and she had accuratley pointed them out but it had some perks still. Seth had been able to move as he wished for many years but somehow the thought of leaving the citt to move back to Ireland or even to the country side here never hit him, even if it would it wasn't certain that he would even acknowledge it, though he was a bit curious to why Rose had moved to the city if she didn't really like it. "So you left everything back home to move to the city, why?" He asked blowing away some brown strands falling in his eyes.

Rose thought for a few about how to answer his question. She couldn't just say she wasn't allowed to leave Earth until her mission was complete. That would make her sound like a complete weirdo. Rose sighed and ran a hand through her bangs, pushing them back, only to have them fall in front of her face again. "Well now i'd tell you but then i'd have to kill you." she said laughing at herself. "On a more serious note let's just say I have some unfinished business that needs to be taken care of before i can go back home." she told him.

Seth had to chuckle at her joke, the thought of this girl who looked so innocent and bright killing someone was strange, the pieces wouldn't fit together in his head although women of course could be fearsome, but with Rose it seemed wrong. Of course she could be totally different under her sweet exterior, who knew. "Well then I'll be careful with you then," he said with an askew smirk, although it pretty much would be the other way around. "If you're looking for people to meet be a bit selective around the bar, wouldn't want to cause the boss headache over hiring another if you get maimed or killed." It was a joke, partly. The crowd at the bar, while often the usual regulars could be rough.

Rose laughed. It wasn't as if she couldn't be hurt. No, it was just that she couldn't be killed. Kind of hard to kill a person that is already dead. She calmed down her laugh enough so she could say, "I'll keep that information in mind. I don't think i'll be meeting people at the bar though. Besides i might look innocent but i can take care of myself."

Emptying his glass of soda Seth found himself falling in with her laugh, albeit not as much, something with her laugh made it so easy to just join in on the fun, and if she believed she could handle herself all was well and good, after all girls who were fragile and barely able to say no was just annoying. Living in a large city you never knew when being able to protect yourself could come in handy either, Seth was just glad his sister was growing up in the suburbs and not in the city centre, it seemed to be safer and calmer there hopefully it stayed that way for her. "You'll have no problems then," he said.

Rose found herself watching Seth while he laughed. She was glad she was able to make him smile if only for a little bit. "You have a nice laugh." she said. Rose yawned and looked down at her watch. Her eyes widened. It cannot be that late already she thought...Oh Gabriel is going to kill me! She looked up and noticed an extremely blond-haired man that seemed to be glowing with his back to her. "Oh no...he's found me." she accidentally said out loud. She looked at Seth with a somewhat nervous expression. "Ummm it really has been fun and I've really enjoyed myself but I must be going. See you later!" she said quickly putting on her coat, dropping a few dollars on the table and turning away.

Taken by surprise by her words Seth couldn't gather himself for a reply until she spoke again looking quite flustered, raising an eye brow at her words he wondered who exactly had found her and what she was talking about. "See ya," he answered as she hurried of after dropping a few dollars on the table, pulling out his own wallet he added the remaining amount for his own food before standing up, casting a glance around the area. No one stood out as suspicious really, a man rounded a corner after leaving the restaurant but other than his very blonde hair, which had to have been dyed to get that pure almost glowing blonde hue, he didn't look like someone suspicious either. Shrugging he headed back the way he and Rose had come earlier but swevered of the street and went towards the bar instead, people would soon start to get off their jobs and he could pick up a shift to get in some extra money and perhaps take some rounds with his friends before going home.

Rose was almost to her apartment complex when she felt a gentle hand touch her shoulder. SHe whirled around to find herself face to face with Gabriel. "Oh hi! I didn't even hear you come up. How are you? Everything doing alright?" she asked. "Rose...Your reports were suppose to be in the day before yesterday. CAre to explain yourself?" he said sternly. "Umm well you see I was really busy with my new job and all." she said trying to make up an excuse. "How about we visit this new job and you can tell me all about it." he asked but Rose could tell it was a command. "Sure! I'll just grab my files." she said. "No need." he said holding them up. Rose led him to the bar and found a table in the way back.