A Troublesome Assignment

It had been a few weeks now since he had last seen his sister and he felt a bit bad for neglecting to come here and because of Laura who often asked him to come by more. If someone looked at them it would not be obvious at once that they were siblings as they looked nothing alike, neither in colours or looks as Seth, with the exception of his hair colour and height, was as identical to his mother as it was possible while not being a girl. "So sunshine, how's school going," he asked, staying on his knees to keep level with her, meeting Laura's sky blue eyes. "Still insisting that it's fun?"

"Of course,"
she said, her smile showing a gap in her teeth. "You smell funny again," she pointed out and scrunched her nose slightly as she released him from her hug. Chuckling slightly Seth admired and disliked the eight year old's ability to make him want to stop doing things she didn't like. "It's just my bad habit, like dad's bad shaving cream that he never switches from."

Laura nodded although Seth knew she still didn't like it, standing up he looked down on the short girl, "come now, you know your mother will worry if you are too late." It was what he least of all wanted, to have Elizabeth out looking for Laura and see him there, she didn't like how he had turned out and believed he was a bad influence on her daughter. Heading back the way he had come, although taking the longer route with no trespassing shortcuts Laura had a hold on Seth's hand as she almost skipped along to keep up with his long steps, although he tried to go slower for her.

Rose smiled as she watched his interaction with the little girl. Then she noticed it. They didn't look that much alike when she first saw them but then when she looked closely she saw that they were a little similar. A sister? That wasn't mentioned anywhere in any of the papers that she had read. She decided not to follow them anymore than she had. She made her way back to the her apartment. Rose sat down on her couch and wrote down what she had learned so far.

Too soon in Seth's eyes they reached the white suburbian house where she lived, the house was still familiar to him but it wasn't home in any way, home to him was a quiant stone house with rolling grass hills nearby. They had stopped on the way home at an ice cream truck and seth had bought them both ice cream, glad he had money at the moment so he could make her happy in what ways he could. "I need to go now sunshine," he said kneeling down once more to even out the height difference. "Why can't you stay? I want you to live with us again." Laura said, her face drawn into a frown.

"It's not that simple," he said and stroke back some of her dark hair. Though he wished it was that simple, and deep down he knew it was he who could make it easy though he refused to see it. "Now, you now what to do, right?" He asked, raising an eye brow. "Yes, not tell mother or father about meeting you," she was reluctant but Seth knew she would do as he asked. "Good girl, I'll try to come by again soon sunshine." Laura gave him a hug and he gave her one of his rare warm smiles, her hair tickling his face, he missed living at home at times like this but he also avoided any fights that would erupt between siblings if he only saw her occasionally.

Leaving before Elizabeth could possibly see him if she looked out for her daughter Seth headed back home, deciding to walk back home instead of taking the bus. Liting a cigarette his face fell back into its usual blank slate and when he finally reached his building again he was back to his normal self again.

Rose had finished with writing down what she had lesrned. There was nothing to watch on the televisiom and she hadn't seen any sign of Seth for awhile. She wondered about his sister. Why he didn't live with them? Why didn't he smile like that with other people? It was all so confusing.

Rose decided to go for a walk. She hadn't been able to look around the city since she had been down. So she grabbed a coat and headed downstairs.

Reaching his home Seth contemplated if he should go up and aimlessly zap through the channels to find something to watch or find something else to do, meeting Laura had put him in a good mood, or better than usual at least, despite looking indifferent on the outside. When he was younger he used to draw all the time, and it had been especially good when he was bored but now he hadn't even made a doodle since moving away from home. When he stopped trying to become an architecht the only drawings he did was for Laura but then he gradually stopped all together.

Snapped out by his thoughts by a person appearing on the other side of the door heading outside Seth focused on her, recognizing it as his new neighbour and also the new worker at his favourite bar. He sure had seen a lot of her recently, at home and outside, probably only a coincidence as they lived in the same building it was only logical for her to work nearby but she had also seemed to have hidden something when they spoke briefly earlier. "Hi," he said as he met her by the door, pushing it extra hard so it wouldn't close on her. "We do some to meet quite often." Laura must have rubbed of some of her friendly happines on him, he thought to himself, it wasn't like him to be interested in talking with strangers normally.

Rose didn't even see Seth until he opened the door for her. She was surprised that he spoke to her first. Rose smiled at him. "I guess we do. It almost seems as if it's fate doesn't it?" she said.

Fate. If fate really existed things would be different, should be different, in his opinion. Fate, as well as destiny and meaning with everything that happens it's all just words for fools blinded by hope, Seth knew from experience everything that happened seemed to be cruel circumstances and for some they turned out good and for some they turned out like crap. "If you believe in that kinda stuff then sure," he said with a scoff. Despite the colour difference her bright smile reminded him of his sister in a way, always smiling, though they had no physical resemblance, he wondered what kind of people could continue being this happy despite growing up, sure a kid could be happy all the time but they led innocent, carefree lives. "How do you like the city so far?"

Rose could tell that he was pondering what she said about fate. Sometimes it was more of believing rather than seeing. Rose didn't say anything about 'believing in that kind of stuff' as Seth put it. It was easier for her to believe since that was her real profession. When he asked about the city she replied,"I haven't gotten a chance to look around yet ,although, the people that I have met though have been very nice. I was just heading out now."

"Well, have fun then," he said, Not really seeing why someone would move to the city, then again he himself didn't move away despite that, it was confusing even to himself. "Don't get into trouble, although I'm probably not the right one to say that," Seth added with his customary smirk. He really wasn't the right person to remind others to keep out of trouble, not when he practically was trouble, but then again life would get boring otherwise. However she seemed like a pretty innocent girl, one that he would assume by sight alone was too kind and prone to get in trouble because of that but then again it wasn't his problem whether or not that was true or not.

"Thanks. I'll try not to get into too much trouble." Rose said. Ironic that he was telling her not to get into too much trouble. Rose thought for a moment. She had no idea where she was going. Maybe I should ask him to come along she thought. "I know we just met and all but i just realized that i have no idea where to go. Would you mind accomanying me?" she asked a little nervously.

Weighing the options in his head Seth quickly came to the conclusion that sitting around doing nothing in his apartment would probably be a lot less interesting than being outside. "Why not," he said and stepped with the girl outside instead of continuing inside. Leading her down a street he shoved his hands in his jeans pockets and was prepared to answer her questions and keep her from getting lost but he wasn't going to act like a guide really. "What's your name then?" He asked her.

Rose was excited that he decided to come along. As they walked she placed her hands inside her coat pockets. She had to get used to being able to feel different temperatures again. She was pulled out of her thoughts when Seth asked for her nam. "My name is Rose. What's yours?" she asked. It was a pointless question but it was better for her not to raise suspicion.

Rose. A bright, flowery name for a bright person, Seth thought as she gave her name. "I'm Seth," he answered after a few beats of silence. She was a very cheerful person in his eyes, although nervous, and it was a very different kind of personality from the tough, outgoing women he often met and were common at the bar. This frail little thing must be stronger than she looked to keep working at the bar. Of course Seth was used to judging people from their looks as in his world you didn't get cozy and intimate with people in a rush, at least he didn't. "Where did you move from then Rose?" He asked, more in need of a conversation than anything else.

"Nice to formally meet you, Seth." Rose said laughing a little to herself. It felt strange talking to someone and asking questions when you apready knew most of the answers. Rose was unprepared when he asked where she came from. She couldn't remember much about her human life and she couldn't say she fell from the sky. So insread she said, "I'm from...Canada. Quebec if you want to get specific. You?"

Seth noticed her slight hesitation before mentioning hwhere she came from, he was a good poker player because he noticed things like that, small things that didn't always show on a persons face. He wondered why she did it as well, had she just been surprised over his question or was she touchy about her past, he shrugged it away soon though, it was nothing he had to do with anyway. As she turned his question against him he cast a glance at her before answering, his mind brought back to the green hills around his home. "From Ireland actually," he finally said. "A small village not too far from Dublin." After seven years there wasn't much Irish left in his speech but something in his dialect still hinted towards his former homeland, what Seth still considered his home actually.

Rose wasn't surprised when he said that. One because she had read all about it in her files but also she could hear the slight accent even if it was very faint. "I could have guessed. You still have a faint accent. So do you have the luck of the Irish?" she asked jokingly. She remembered visiting there once with her family. It was really a beautiful place and the people were always friendly. Maybe a tad bit drunk but definitely friendly all the same. Rose shook her head trying not to think about those times and place herself back in the present.

"Well, some poeple I gamble with sure like to think I have the Irish luck," Seth said with a smirk. Whether it was actually luck or just skill he didn't care about, as long as he won it was the same to him. "Or they just want to excuse their bad skills and save their faces." He added, more than one loser had tried to threaten him into submission after having lost a bit too much money, or as in the case of his newly obtained bike, pricey property, not that they ever succeeded in getting their things back, Seth was hardly ever faced by their tries to be threatening. Without noticing at first his hand reached for the ring around his neck, hidden by his shirt, stopping himself he reached for his cigarettes in his pocket instead, lighting one up with practiced ease.

"oh? I was never any good at gambling. My friends would always say that my face gave me away." she said laughing. "So why move away from such a beautiful place to this?" she asked using her hands to indicate the whole city. That was one question that she had had since reading the folders. She couldn't find that answer anywhere in all her many papers. When Rose looked over at Seth she noticed him lighting a cigarette. She wrinkled her nose. Rose had never been a big fan of smokers but she kept her mouth shut.

Blowing out some smoke Seth noticed Rose's dislike, she was, or rather her friends were right, she would be no good at poker, it would be quite easy reading her in a game. "I can imagine," he said, smirk in place again. "You show your feelings too much." That and in his eyes she looked like the innocent goody two shoes type, although he did not know her at all so he could be wrong of course. Pondering over her question Seth wondered what it was about her that hindered him from just snapping at her and ignore her questions. "My dad wanted to move back to his home town when my mother died and I had little say in the matter as I was only fifteen," Seth said casually, no feelings getting through his indifferent expression.

"I don't mind. It's easier that way. No one has to guess at what i'm feeling." she said. Even when she was human Rose had never been great at concealing her feelings. Rose was glad that he didn't mind her asking so many questions. She looked around her and pointed at a random building. "What building is that?" she asked hoping to change the subject.