A Tale Of Winter Memories

Jennifer crouched in the snow, camera held to her eye, pointed at the bird a few feet away. It was eating the seed she had scattered on the snow and seemed oblivious to a person being so close.

Click.

The shutter snapped and the bird, startled by the sound, flew away. "Damn...At least I got one shot." she muttered to herself. She stood up and started to brush the bird seeds from her long skirt. She picked up a small bag of seeds and put it in her coat pocket, and then slung a messenger bag over her shoulder. It had a heft to it that indicated it was full. She treated it with a familiarity, like she was used to juggling a camera around her neck and putting a bag over her shoulder.

Once everything was settled, she held the camera in one hand and started looking around. She heard a howl off in the distance. her expression looked excited and she thought that maybe she could get a picture of a wolf! Walking around the corner of the building, she was digging in her bag and produced a long lens and proceeded to exchange it with the little one that was on the camera. She came around the corner of the building and surprised herself by nearly tripping over a boy laying in the snow.

"Oh! Err, sorry about that! I didn't see you there..."

Ruin's eyes fluttered open, snow dusting his black lashes and he sat up slowly, looking around blearily and spotting the girl. "Huh...?" His voice was a croak, his lips blue and skin taking on a blue-ish tint. He felt so sleepy... why couldn't he feel his body? Maybe he just needed more sleep...

Jennifer noticed the way the boy moved sluggishly and then glanced at his face and his blue lips.

"Ohmygod! You are freezing!" she reached down to help him up and realized he felt cool to the touch. "We need to get you to the nurse right away." she started looking around for someone else to help and saw that they were alone.

She put his arm over her shoulder and starting moving towards the nurse's office.

He stared at her blankly, her words jumbled and morphed, sounding more like jibberish if anything at all. When she pulled him up and slung his arm over her shoulder he groaned weakly at the pain her agonizingly hot body sent through the skin she touched, even when his skin was hidden under his thin hoodie.
"Who're you?" He croaked out as she pulled him along, his own legs attempting to help even though he didn't understand why she was bothering. He felt perfectly fine after all.

His voice sounded thin and tired, and she realized he needed some help soon.

"I'm Jenny. Try not to talk right now, lets get you inside." She labored along, pulling him some of the way, as he dragged his feet and almost fell unconscious again. She finally saw the door to the nurse's office and breathed a sigh of relief. She pulled the door open and pulled the boy inside.

The nurse looked up from her desk, startled. "Whats going on here? Is something wrong?" She stood up and had a worried look on her face.

Jenny said, "I found him lying in the snow, his skin looked blue...he feels so cold. Can you help him?" The nurse motioned to a small room and Jenny walked him in there, laying him down on the chair in the room. "Will he be okay?" She was wringing her hands together nervously.

The nurse looked him over, and turned to Jenny, laying a hand on her shoulder. "We don't know anything yet, please let me look at him and we will see what is wrong. If you would wait outside...?"

Jenny walked out to the waiting area and sat down in one of the chairs. She didn't know what to do. She didn't even know who this boy was. She sat and wondered what was going on in that little room.

He laid there as the new lady asked hiim things but he couldn't really understand her. What was happening to him? He began to shiver violently, biting his tongue several times.
The lady above him gave a releived sigh and bundled him up and hurrying about her buisness.
It was a long while later before the nurse deemed him safe, having the black haired teen drink some water while she popp her head out and smiled at the girl on the chairs outside. "You can come and see him if you need too. He should be fine... do you know if he's a student here? I can't find any files on him." She looked over her shoulder, biting her lip.

Jenny was surprised when the nurse told her she could come in and see the boy. She was lost in her own thoughts and anxious to hear that he was okay.

"um...sure." she said, getting up and walking into the room. "I don't know him, I just found him laying in the snow on the school grounds...maybe he is new?" Upon entering, she saw the boy bundled up in some blankets.

"H-hey there. I'm glad you're okay, I got so worried and..." she blushed when she realized she was babbling, because she was nervous and didn't know what to say. Suddenly, she became very self conscious that all eyes were on her, and she started to back up a few steps.

"So...I hope you will be okay now. I uh...I have to go!" Her face was positively crimson as she turned and hurried out of the nurses office. How did this happen? How did she find herself taking strangers to the nurse's office? Who was that boy? A million thoughts sped through her mind as she ran through the snow.

I just need to calm down. she thought. She stopped in her tracks and started towards the library. Nothing like this ever happened in the quiet, calm library.

Ruin blinked slowly and frowned. That girl.... oh no! She'd just... and he'd just.... He blushed darkly. How stupid... he'd had to be helped by a girl into the nurses office. He slapped a tremlbing hand against his forehead. When he felt better, he'd find her and apologize. He owed her...
He smiled a little to himself. She wasa very kind for doing that, and he was glad she'd done that for him even though she didn't know him at all...
Now he felt bad... he vaugely recalled what she'd said... her name... Penny? No... He struggled to remember her name. Oh! Jenny!
He laid back and sighed. Now he had to apologize for not being polite too... oh boy, what a crappy way to meet some one...

Cord took a deep breath as her hand reached for the doorknob of the music room's door. She entered slowly, holding her guitar case and smiling sheepishly. "Sorry I took so long." She said without looking up from her feet. "I was just...grabbing my guitar."

Her mind raced as she walked all the way into the room and stopped, to make eye contact with Jiro. She opened her mouth and the rambling began. "You see I do play and I'm sorry I didn't tell you but I just get so nervous about playing in front of people and I just prefer privacy so..." She trailed off and shook her head. "I'm just sorry, ok."

Jiro chuckled a bit as she rambled on and he looked up from his guitar.

"It's fine…really. I knew that you played. I heard you in here on my way to the library. Well I was headed for a smoke break really but I just had to know where that playing and voice came from. I do love music, but since I've been at this school, this is the first time I've picked up a guitar since a week before my mom and step dad brought me here. I do sing too…but only in front of nobody but myself. That was a first as well…"

He chuckled nervously.

"So I wasn't exactly truthful either…Sorry 'bout that. Usually don't make a habit if lying to pretty girls such as yourself. But the rest that I told you about me was true…everything I've been through. It was just the whole following you to the library part and pretending that I had been there awhile when in actuality I had been there about five minuets…"

Jiro smiled a bit, trying not to tense up in nervousness.

"But if you would like to play…I'd love to hear you."

Travis walked onward, heading towards the boy's dorm when he saw a girl run from the nurse's office in a rush.

"Huh? Wonder what that was all about..."

Curious, Travis peaked in to see a boy laying in one of the beds.

"Yo!" he called out. "What ails you, kid?"

Ruin jumped and looked up a bit blankly. Oh, he remembered seeing him chatting up that fidgeting girl...

"I just passed out is all..." He croaked weakly, not really feeling up to sociallizing when he'd already probably made enemies...

"Ah I see..." Travis said, feeling awkward now. "Well, uh, you need anything?" he asked, shifting the bass bag on his shoulder. "Like, help getting to the dorms? I'm headed that way, ya know?"

Ruin sat up at that. Finally! But he kept his face cold. "I would appreciate that. Thank you." He slipped out of bed, eyeing the bag the boy was holding. What was inside of it?

Travis grinned.

"Awesome, come with me then!"

Travis watched the boy carefully, making sure he didn't fall over again, and let him walk out of the nurse's office.

"I'm Travis, by the way," he introduced himself. "What's your name? Which room are you in?"

Cord smiled sweetly and shook her head. "We're so foolish!" She giggled. "No more lies, ok? There really wasn't any reason for it." She looked down at her guitar case and bit her lip. "You know what, I'm hungry and I don't really want to play right now. Want to grab some lunch or something?" She chewed her lip a bit. "I promise to play for you some time soon, but not yet."

HE felt a little to embarassed to say his room, since he didn't know what it was, but his name he could do. "I am Ruin. Nice to meet you Travis."

"Awesome. Nice to meet you," Travis said with a bright smile. "So where we headed?"

"Just my room." He murmured, hiding his face and shivering at how damp his hoodie was.

Travis sighed and ran a hand through his hair, glancing over at the other boy.

"You look cold, man. You sure you're okay?" he asked. "Where is your room, you should probably change or something."