A Tale Of Winter Memories

Christoph didn't even turn to look, he was able to tell by the sound of her voice that she was moving, leaving it sounded like. Christoph took off his heavy boots and set them on the ground next to the pool. He was lucky, he mused, that there was snow on the ground and his boot soles had been cleaned by it or else he might have tracked muddy footprints into the pool.

Holding his cigarette up and away with one hand, Christoph peeled his soggy white socks from his feet and laid them on the ground next to the boots. There were bruises across his shins that were tender even to the glancing touch of his hands as he rolled up his pant legs. Finally, having succeeded in uncovering his feet and calves, Christoph plunged his feet into the water, still splashing his pants a little bit as he did so despite his efforts to not get them any more wet.

Taking another drag of his cigarette, Christoph considered taking his jacket off as well. The pool was heated and thus the air was very warm in here. From there, his thoughts moved idly on to him considering going for a full-out swim in this pool.

He looked to the girl for an answer before he felt someone fall onto his lap. His eye moved away and down towards the boy who had just fallen on him. This somewhat dirty looking boy, breathed out apologies as he tried to catch his breath. Jiro moved and placed the boy on the ground so he could catch his breath, and stood up next to the girl.

"Stop talking and catch your breath man…It's all good.."

He dusted himself off a bit and looked over at the girl, biting his lip a bit as his craving started to return. But he didn't want to go…things were just starting to get interesting.

"Sorry...I didn't Introduce myself...I'm Jiro and not not sure who this guy is...But I hope that My knee did not injure him too much..."

He glanced back at the boy briefly to make sure he was okay, then back to her.

Each step down the stairwell brought her thoughts to a different subject to ponder. After reaching the last step, she let out a sigh. Her nerves ran amok throughout her body. It was rudeof her to justthere leave the stranger's company like she did. Eventually her manners won over her nervousness. She grabbed hold of her pack of cigarettes and eased her last cigarette from its plastic box. She placed the stick of tobacco between her lips. As she did so, she witness a rather dingy looking fellow making his way out of the pool area then down the hall. Lance was about to say something however the fellow seemed to be in some sort of a hurry. Shrugging off the unexpected encounter, Lance crumbled the empty pack of cigarettes in her hand then disposed of it in the nearby trash can. Steeling her agitated nerves, Lance approached the entrance to the pool area. As she entered, she saw the stranger even clearer than she had up on the balcony. She took hold of her lighter and then lit her last cigarette. Taking a deep inhale, Lance gathered the courage to approach the tough intimidating boy.
"Care for some company?" asked Lance, her voice slightly muffled from the cigarette still between her lips.

The plans that Christoph had been forming about going for a swim were instantly moot when he heard the voice of the girl returning, asking him if he'd like company. Christoph was about to shoot back a reply about how he'd thought that she'd left, but her statement seemed more like a desire for company than an offer of one. Christoph sighed. At least she didn't seem like the chatty type.

"If you want" he answered finally, considering now whether he should take the bandages off his hand and soak it in the water. Deciding that the antibacterial qualities of the pool might do well to be splashed over the cut, he unwrapped the bandages carefully while holding the cigarette clamped in his mouth.

The heat was also beginning to get to him and before he could finish unwrapping his bandages, he tossed his jacket to the ground. The humid heat was making droplets of sweat form at his brow. When he had managed to also unwrap the bandages, he tossed them onto his jacket. The tee shirt over his body did not conceal the bruises over his arms and he wondered briefly if they alarmed the girl.

He grimaced and caught his breath, rubbing at an aching spot he knew would bruise. When he opened his mouth to speak, he closed it again, seeing that he had fallen into a moment between the two and his eyes filled with lonliness before he blocked it off, showing cold indifference.
"Yeah whatever..." He mumbled, deciding to just give up on trying to talk to people. He either messed it all up or couldn't talk.
He dejectedly began to make his way from the library, blocking out all of the noise as he left, wanting to just go lay in his room.
His hand went to his pocket but found it empty and began to panic. Where had it fallen out? It could be anywhere on the ground, ruined, or back there with those two people he'd fallen over. Maybe even near the pool. He sighed frustratedly and yanked harshly on the longest part of his bangs near the center of his forehead.
"I shouldn't have bothered trying this school thing it seems." He muttered, knowing if he kept thinking about his complete failures all throughtout the day, he'd cry again and just trudged his way to the school gates. He didn't belong here, he was just some filthy idiot who had nowhere else to go anymore. Who was he to stay around these smarter, obviously cleaner people who would most likely kick him ou the second they saw the grime on his skin or his matted hair, or his weird eyes... He laughed bitterly. Yeah, he would rather leave on his own terms then be forced out by these higher classed people.

Cordelia never got the chance to sit, for someone fell in Jiro's lap. She blinked and stared at him "Um...are...are you ok?" Her voice was a whisper. The boy seemed upset when he responded and just like that he was gone. "Uh...um..." She watched him for a second then turned back to Jiro. "I'm Cordelia...you can call me Cord." She started at Jiro, surprised by how well he had handled the whole situation. When she noticed she was staring she looked down at her book, still pressed to her chest. "Yes, I love music." She said with a nod. "Who doesn't?" She lifted her head and smiled, looking at him again. Slowly one of her hands came off her book and took her headphones out of her ears. She stuck them in her pocket after turning her ipod off. "I spend a lot of time in this part of the library...I've never seen you around." She tapped her foot. "Why aren't you home for christmas?"

He didn't know why, but he was glad that she smiled back. Maybe because it helped the whole situation come back together. Jiro didn't even mind that she was staring. Normally, he would have punched anyone stupid enough to do that but she was a woman….and he didn't…Couldn't bring himself to do that; ever. The teenager listened as she told him that she loved music…it sounded like it by the quality of her music. She must have spent a long time practicing. Then she asked him the question…why he was here for Christmas. He chuckled nervously.

"Well…back where I'm from, I ran with the wrong crowd and got myself into all sorts of trouble. My mom raised me by herself for a long time and saved and tired her entire life to make the best for me. Finally she got me into here but I being an ungrateful douche bag, I put up a fight and was practically dragged here…she didn't come pick me up yesterday so I assume that she thinks that If I left I wouldn't come back so…I'm stuck here…How about you..? If it's anything too personal you don't have to tell me. I can understand that…"

He smiled understandingly and shifted his weight a bit; every once and awhile glancing back at the boy. Making sure he was alright. But his main attention was focused on Cord; his deep brown eyes looking strait into hers.

Ruin paused at the gate and thought. Maybe he could stay here? So what if they didn't like him right? He wanted to learn... But what if the teachers were rude?
He sighed and crouched down, feeling a little sick as his near constantly empty stomache growled and twisted. Here he could eat... but wait, he didn't have the money for it... What was he going to do? Go back to working the streets or stay here? He stared out at the road just down the drive of the school and his eyes flew open, heart dropping to the ground as he saw a very familiar, sleek car trudle up the drive.
He turned and bolted, knowing if he stayed there two long he'd get shot again and that would bring up questions. He had lied on nearly everything he had been given to fill out and if this popped up on the first day... But how did he figure out he was here?!
He could hear car doors slamming and skidded into the pools area, hearing hurried footsteps behind him. When the doors closed behind him he ran into the blechers, quickly flattening himself to stay hidden as the doors opened and two men in finely tailored suits rushed in, scowling darkly when all they saw were two teenagers sitting by the pools edge. They quickly left, growing a bit fearful as they climbed into the car with their angry boss.
Inside the pools area, Ruin slowly got onto his hands and knees, peering around the room worriedly, biting his lip distractedly. "Gone..." He murmured in releif, body shaking from the adrenaline rush and sat on the bench, not realizing there was more then him in the area. He hunched over and held his head in his hands. He was doomed if he ever left these grounds or strayed from the buildings for long. Well, his decision was once again made by that stupid jerk.

Travis smiled with understanding. "Yeah, chemistry is a hard class to sit through," he said. He looked at Loli's foot tapping. "Hey, you've got some decent rhythm there..." He began tapping his foot along with hers, not letting it bother him that she seemed hyperactive. She was, he thought to himself, still young. It wasn't that unheard of for kids under 18 to be hyperactive until adulthood. He didn't even notice Loli had been playing with her hair as a tick. "You could almost be my metronome," he joked.

Cord frowned softly. "Thats so sad." Her voice was almost a whisper, which sometimes made people uneasy. "Home life for me is just busy, so I just figured I would stay." She wasn't about to explain to him that she was at the school because her conservative mother and asshole step-father wouldn't trust her that a rumour about her being gay wasn't true. The girls who started the rumour had done a lot of bad things to Cord, but that was by far the worst. "I like the school, though." She explained. "It has a nice music room and a great collection of books so I'm happy." She held the book down at her side in one hand now, her guard slowly falling.

He listened carefully to her whispered response and smiled.His body was completly relaxed, not at all bothred by her whisper.

"It is...But I deal..."

Jiro moved his arm holding the book, his arm brushing against Cord as it settled also at his side. His finger stuck in between the pages, marking the spot.

"Music room...Hn..You play anything? Gutair maybe?"

He bit his lip anxiously, curious as to what she would say. After all, he had heard her play and she was good. So there was no reason to deny it...

Lance sat beside the stranger but not right beside him. There was an arm length's of space between them. Among all the problems she had, personal space issues were at the top of the list. She sat silently in the stranger's company, pondering what to say. Out of the corner of her eye she glimpsed the boy unwrapping crimson bandages from his hand. Lance inhaled the last drag of her cigarette then deposited it in her hy mobile ashtray. Her gaze left the hand of the boy and focused on the water in front of them. Lance was about to ask a question when she heard the doors creaking open. Her attention was brought to the doors, however all she was able to see was the was a duo of tailor suited men appearing to be scanning their surroundings. The duo left shortly.

"Huh well wasn't that something?" asked Lance, looking at the boy next to her.

After calming a little he sat back on the metal seat, humming to himself softly in a tuneless fashion. It was nice and warm in here. A little bit to warm and soon he was peeling off his jecket, dropping it with a noisy clack onto the bench next to him and rubbing at the bruise on his bare chest. "Man... this sucks." He mumbled, fingers running around the edge of the darkened skin.
He stretched a little, popping a kink in his neck, tiredly laying on the cold metal and usuing his filthy jacket as a pillow and hummed a tune softly, his low, warm voice rumbling in his chest.
"Maybe I'll just join the stars, and never touch the sky..." He sung softly. "Let go of every breath I breathe and blindly keep on flyin'..." He closed his eyes and tapped his foot to the beat in his head and trailed off into soft humming.

The kind comments about her fidgeting make Loli smile brightly, and her fingers stilled in her hair for a moment. She could not immediately think of anything to say, she was in a good mood and it was unusual for her to be speechless. The sounds from the back of the library drew her attention, however and she pointed in the direction.

"Ah, there's something going on and... I want to see!" she chirped brightly, standing up. She didn't know whether he would follow or not but her curiosity was certainly getting the best of her. moved away from the table, remembering as an afterthought to grab the bag that she'd set down before sitting.

Bag over her shoulder and eyes sparkling with curiosity, Lolita headed in the direction of the sounds. Peering around the bookshelf only revealed two boys and a girl though. Smiling to herself, Loli felt like a spy. Except, she thought, fighting the urge to move, spies would be able to stay still.

Dipping his still bleeding hand into the water, Christoph hardly looked up at the intrusions behind them. When the treated water hit his cut up skin, he winced and came to the conclusion that getting into the fight didn't hurt nearly as much as cleaning up afterward. The stinging continued for several more seconds while Christoph said nothing, focusing entirely on the feeling of the water washing over his bloody knuckles.

Finally, when the stinging had dissipated, he pulled his hand out. The chill was refreshing, in comparison to the heat of all the blood rushing to the wound. It was then, while rewrapping the hand now that it was cleaned, that he chose to respond to the girl who was very carefully sitting an arm's length away from him.

"The people here, so many of them are strange."

Without elaborating any, he finished the job neatly with the bandages and admired his handiwork. The previously bloodied patches were now against his palm and still clean bandages encircled the injured areas. After getting into so many fights and with medical parents, Christoph's bandage wrapping was immaculate.

"Are you afraid of me, or do I smell bad?" he asked the girl, not looking at her but rather the cigarette he had just pulled away his lips with his unaffected hand.

Because of her shyness about people people listening to her music and seeing her perform Cord hesitated before giving a half-hearted smile. "Me? Nah." She said with a little wave of her hand. She always felt bad about lying to people, but she wasn't ready to start playing in front of him just yet, as nice as he seemed she hardly knew him! "How about yourself?" She asked quickly. "Any musical instruments? Or maybe you sing?" She smiled a bit. "It's always interesting to hear men who sing, they often have such a beautiful range." Her stomach knotted now as she thought of how stupid she looked surrounding herself by music then lying and saying she didn't even play an instrument. Her book was raised and pressed to her chest as it had been when Jiro had startled her. In a quick attempt to cover her lie she gave another half smile and shook her head. "I must seem stupid surrounding myself by music without being musical myself." A nervous laugh followed that and she finally decided to just shut up. The knot in her stomach tightened.

He smiled a bit, shifting his body so he was a bit closer to her. The teen listened as she lied her way through his question. Jiro was used to seeing through lies. His history on the streets of a city ensured that…It was just something that came with the street smarts. A small smirk of confidence came across his lips as she asked if he played an instrument or sang; a small smile coming across her pretty lips.

"Well…My dead beat dad left behind his guitar…I picked it up bit by bit over the years but…it's back home and I haven't played in about a year or two. And I can sing but I don't usually sing in front of others so I don't know weather I'm good or bad. My mother says I'm good but it's sort of her job…so I don't really know that truth. Maybe I can sing and play for you sometime if your interested. If not, it's cool, I understand…."

He smiled handsomely but gently and watched as she nervously raised the book she was holding at her side; and press it against her chest. Cord smiled a bit and shook her head; stating that she must have looked stupid being in this section of the library when she wasn't musical herself. He shook his head, his shaggy black locks falling into his soft expression.

"Nah, its fine. You don't have to be a Mozart or some famous music playing hotshot to be here….And If you don't play…I bet you at least sing."

He smiled warmly, and made sure he wasn't tensed up at all. Jiro was trying to make her feel comfortable and he thought it kind of showed.

Ruin slowly sat up after a few moments, remembering he had a room to find... but.... his map... He grabbed his hoodie and trudged down the steps, spotting the two by the pool and slowly walking towards them nervously, twisting his hoodie in his hands and pushing his damp bangs from his eyes. "Uhm.... excuse me..." He mumbled softly, low voice barely audible. "Could you help me find the boy's dormitory? I kind of just got here..." He struggled to hold still and not run away, eyes flashing with fear and body trembling. What if they weren't nice? One of them had bandages on his hands for crying out loud! But he tried to keep his cool, only the trembling and fear in in his eyes showing.

Cord relaxed a little once she realized he had bought her lie. She nodded and her eyes got wide when he suggested she have a listen to him play. "I would really love that, actually. That would be a lot of fun!" Her voice came just above a whisper this time and now she was holding the book with both her hands excitedly.

When he brought up singing she could feel her face grow hot and red. "Well maybe a bit, but I'm not very good...so I never sing outside of the shower." An incredibly nervous laugh followed that lie and she could feel her face burning even hotter. He looked so calm and collected and here she was absolutely trembling with embarrassment for no reason. How could he stay so collected? Well perhaps he wasn't lying through his teeth, that was probably a start. She felt so foolish lying to him because he seemed so genuine.

She glanced down at the cover of her book then back up at Jiro. "So do you want to show off your skills now? I've got the whole break to read and I'm curious about your musical ability now." She squeaked. "Only if you want to, though. No pressure." A genuinely warm smile graced her face and she squeezed her book to her chest once again.

His smile turned bright as he listened to her soft voice get a bit high. It made him happy to see her not as nervous and now a bit more excited. Jiro chuckled softly as her face flushed bright red. It was really Cute…and her being flustered made it more so. Cord's body was trembling so now she seemed more nervous than before. She glanced at her book then back to him, asking him if he wanted to show off his musical abilities now. Jiro Nodded as the girl pulled the book against the chest. His heart flutterd in relief as she smiled warmly.

"I'll Follow you…You lead the way if you don't mind~"

"Yeah ok." She nodded, turning on her heels towards the exit of the library. She started to walk out, glancing back to see that he was following. "So are do you want to use one of the guitar's from the music room or do you have your own in your room?" She asked, taking small steps and turning to look where she was going. He didn't seem to be put off by her crazy irrational nervousness, so that was nice. Perhaps she would have a friend to talk music with over the christmas break. she smiled to herself and turned to him again. "You know I like the halls being so empty, nobody stepping on my feet." She nodded. "It should always be this tame in the school.