A tale of outer suburbia

He smirked, "you sound like my mother." He smiled as he spotted his sister just before his eyes rolled back in their sockets and he passed out.

Kiyra ran over to her brother, almost tripping on the way over, "s... someone help him."

Ryu slowly opened his eyes gritting his teeth as he pushed himself onto his back. He took hold of the girls hand with a firm reassuring squeeze, "It's ok, I'm not leaving you here. Not until I find out what those ass holes wanted with us."

Daia watched in increasing worry as the amount of blood on the shiny, tiled floors of the hospital continued to grow dark as the young man's blood continued to spill from his wound. "You!" she snapped at the nurses, making them all jump and turn around on the spot. She stared at each of them in turn as she gave them their directions, ordering one to call a doctor, another to arrange a water drip and retrieve packets of O blood from the blood bank, and the last to find a room or at least a bed that they could use for the time being. The first to return was the last to get there order, bringing in a spare bed that had wheels at the bottom for easy transportation. The nurse attempted to apologize about the lack of space and explain that the patient would have to be kept in the hallways until something opened up, the chances of which were extremely slim, but Daia waved his words away dismissively before he could say much more. "Just help me lift him." He quickly obliged, positioning himself beside Ryu's lower half, while she crouched down behind his head. With a deep inhalation, she gave the nurse a brief nod and together they lifted the male off of the ground, mindful to keep his body straight and their movements quick, yet careful, as they lowered him down atop the white sheets that were already turning a light shade of red. " If you move or try to stand, so help me, I will drop the next time," Daia threatened, breaths coming out in small pants. She hadn't been expecting him to weigh as much as he did, but then, she couldn't remember the last time that it had been required of her to lift another human off the ground, starting at a crouch. It was horrible for the back, she knew, but there weren't many other ways to go about it that he had access to. A nurse hurried over next, pulling a tall metal device on wheels that held a clear bag of water and another of blood attached to two, separate drips that would need to be inserted to the back of his hand.

Ryu smiled tugging sharply on a bit of cord on his combat vest which fell away into peaches. He pulled the back plate off which dropped to the floor. He kept breathing normally despite the pain, not to mention the fear it crossed his mind more than enough times, dying at seventeen. He looked around to notice that Kiyra had gone, maybe she'd ran off, "too much blood for one day huh." It was another few minutes before he noticed something else. The American, the only soldier who had not tried to kill him yet, was gone too.

She eyed the protective plates grudgingly as Ryu removed them from his body, watching as they clattered noisily to the floor by her feet. That may have had something to do with his weight, tipping the scale towards making him heavier and harder to lift. Part of her believed that he had purposely waited until after he was securely on the bed to untie them, just so that he could see her struggle, but the thought was quickly brushed to the side. A few weeks ago, she may have thought this and laughed at it, had the circumstances not been as precarious as they were now. The fact remained though that now was not as it had been, what seemed a lifetime ago, and she was not laughing. The female nurse with the metal stand took Ryu's hand, swabbing it with alcohol saturated cotton to remove any bacteria, when Daia noticed that something was not quite as it should be. A look that crossed over the boy's face was what had done it, a combination of surprise, pain, anger, hate, determination and fear. She spun around, searching for what could have caused such an expression but could see nothing. Nothing... Nothing. Kiyra was gone. "Shit," she breathed. Her eyes darted down either side of the hallway in panic, running forward to check the next, nearest hallway, but to come up with the same result - she was gone. Mine swimming and thoughts, possibilities, routes, shadows... people. The bloody ass soldier. She silently cursed him to hell and back, knowing though that it would do no good so long as he had the young girl. She had to find them, but what of Ryu? Striding up to his bed in long, fluid motions, she stop for only a second, locking eyes with him. "Stay," she commanded, for all the good it would do. Then she was gone, running down the maze of hallways and corridors at a full sprint, only stopping to wretch open the door of a janitor's closet or peer into the rooms of other patients.

Something tugged at her shirt moving the collar past her shoulder and then the brand against her flesh. Then she felt the spray of blood on her face. Someone had killed her attacker as she felt the punch of yet another bullet. Finally after a few moments she blincked bringing her back to full alertness. The room was a consultants office with a large mirror on one side of the room a desk on the other with a child locked window opposite the door. She looked at herself in the mirror and what a state she was, all this had happened in a matter of hours.

There was a bandage around her head and eye which covered most of the burn. The bullet wound from the same insistent had also been covered. The tattered school shirt now hung around her elbows allowing her to see the brand that hung just below her left shoulder: Freak 616. She had read books that mentioned that the number of the devil was 616 instead of the widely believed 666 but what did that have to do with being a freak, a name she had grown all too familiar with. Then something brushed up against a tender graze on her leg, she will cex looking frantically around for a cat or something.

Behind her she found only terror in the form of.a dead soldier but he was worse than dead. His body was in bits his upper half lay at the girls feet while the legs and a hand were up against the window while the man's jaw hung from his face both broken and in shock. Kiyra worked around again twice more after.feeling something soft brush against her leg. She turned again to face the mirror for yet another shock. Two cat ears protruded from the top of her soft brown hair. She didn't know what to think so she finally settled for terror. She looked behind her to see a matching grey tail twitching in fear. She stumbled as she turned for a fifth time. She fell to her hands and knees her cries turning to screams as her hand moves from the soldiers small intestine. She curled up in to a tight ball shivering violently. "N...n... No... it... w... wasn't me... I... No... I... I....it... I didn't... I... I'm sorry... t.... this... this w.... was... wasn't meant to h... happen... h... he'll never f... for... forgive me..." Kiyra coughed through short sharp breaths that threatened to send the girl into cardiac arrest. She fumbled over her right wrist and the maze of cuts that ran over it. She continued bubbling as she felt for her throath and started to dig what little nails she had into it. "I... I'm not... I... I'm n... not h... human. I'm... c... cold a... and s... s... scared. M... mum... dad...... Ryu... help me...... I... I can't see anything... oh shit.... h... help me."

She had been searching the hospital for hours, knowing that with every passing second, the chances of finding the young girl were becoming more bleak and hopeless. It had to be nearly dawn by now and the soldier could be anywhere, more backup and resources arriving with the coming of day, allowing him to have taken trucks, motorbikes, or even a hijacked car if he truly wanted to get away. Most likely, he had wanted her dead though, and Daia was starting to look for a small, pale body, rather than muffled cries for help or a sudden thump as either objects and body made contact. She still jumped at the ready whenever such sounds were heard, but they most often concluded with her finding a clumsy nurse and a child crying out in pain at some form of an incision. Still, she would not break and by this point her legs are burning from her nightly running without stop. Even before she had entered the underground tunnels, she had been fleeing a scene of destruction, and her body was deciding that it was time that the pains of exhaustion took their toll on her. Since leaving Ryu, she had thus far not seen him and hoped it was a sign that he had stayed behind while the doctors took care of him.

Daia pushed open the door of the fire escape staircase, feeling the cool wash off air as the hospital's air-con system blew over her face, in comparison to the sickly heat of the stairs. It was quite refreshing, until the stench of urine and blood came into the mix, and heronce again she remembered where she was and her task. She began to run. This was her second time searching throughout the entire building, one level at a time, soon to be the third if she didn't find anything on this floor or the one below her, the first floor. She refrained from using the luxury of the lifts on the off chance that the girl has been left on the rarely used stairs. Level Two was the maternity and delivery wards. Loud, cluttered, filled with screaming, and the perfect place to tuck away one more member of society from view. Her nose wrinkled and her head momentarily drooped in weariness, eyes fluttering shut before her entire body snapped back to consciousness, quickening her pace considerably as she passed by the consultant's office for new mothers. A stuttering, panicked scream for help, coming out in short bit that constructed a sentence would have seemed normal in the midst of all this chaos that was tightly packed within the floor, but something something off. Perhaps it was only her mind playing tricks, but Daia could have almost sworn that the voice belonged to Kiyra. The very possibility sent a wave of energy through her as she grasped the handle, jerking it violently, only to discover it's being locked. A cuss came from the young woman. With her newly found adrenaline, she brought her foot up into the air, landing heavily against the knob repeatedly, willing it to snap or break off completely. Several solid kicked against the thick wood shortly followed until the lock cracked and the door reluctantly opened with a sigh.

She raised a hand to her mouth and nose at the smell of freshly spilled bowels and bladder that belonged to the remains of the dead, American soldier. Pieces of him were everywhere, intestines and major arteries splayed across the room at random intervals. Blood coating the floor like a slippery sheen of red wax. Her stomach churned at the image, eyes darting from one corner to the next, before landing on the small, fragile girl who have broken down into hysterics, that was Kiyra. Her hands seem to be trying to rip through her tender flesh at her wrists and neck, not strong enough to tear it indefinitely but was enough effort... Pointedly ignoring the scene of gore and ripped through limbs of the man, Daia went over to the girl, stepping over the intestines that were pooling around her tiny frame, and gently restrained her arms from behind, pinning them to her sides. "Kiyra, stop," she stated firmly, but not unkindly. "Ryu is upstairs waiting for you. Do you know how worried he is right now? Do you? You need to calm down if we're going to go up and see him." She crossed her legs over and around those of the young girl so that it would be difficult for her to thrash around, should she come to do so. Laying her chin on top of the girl's head, between the cat ears, helped to keep her head still. Their peculiar, twitching behavior showed well enough that they were very real, and required Daia to bite down firmly on the tender insides of her cheek to keep from losing it herself. What had happened to her?

It felt like a long eternity of fear and pain before Kiyra even calmed down a little, longer still before she wrapped her arms around Daia and spoke coherently, "I'm sorry..." her breaths were still short sharp and panicked but She was gradually relaxing more out of exhaustion than the fact that.She was becoming more used to the situation.

Ryu Sat up with a long sigh, he looked around surprised at the silence. He was still on the twelfth floor judging by all the bright colours but he had definitely moved. It was unnerving, the absolute silence. Nothing but the wind that rattled the window. Something was wrong. The building was overcrowded and noisy before. He swung his legs round to hang off the edge of the bed. He sat there for a long while half expecting and half hoping that his sister would come walking in but nothing happened. He turned to look out of the window enjoying the view on a crisp cloudless morning and then it chilled him to the bone. The sound, one that he had only heard in films. The soul destroying moan of an air raid siren.

Time passed slowly as Daia simply held the younger girl, feeling a growing strain to keep her eyes open the longer they sat within the office. The only clue to the passing of time being the filtered sunlight that came in weakly through the small window that sat opposite them, gradually revealing the gruesome scene with a greater sense of finality than what came with the fluorescent bulbs of the hospital. A dying cloak on the wall ticked at an irksome nine-fifty-five, only helpful in the counting of the seconds. Eventually, a small sigh of relief escaped her lips when Kiyra managed to speak. "It's alright," she answered softly, stroking her back in calming patterns, loosening her hold. She could not believe that she had erred in any way though, whether it be the hassle of needing to look for the girl or the death of the soldier, none of it was her fault. Daia gave her a quick, comforting squeeze before standing with some difficulty, still holding the girl in her arms but with evidently less strength than when she first found her.

She nudged the door open with the toe of her boot before cautiously peering her head around the doorframe, only to be met with silence and a deserted hallway. Her brow furrowed in confusion, watching as only a stray piece of paper blew down towards her, getting caught beneath the wheel of an abandoned trolley where it stuck. "Stay quiet..." she whispered into the feline ears. Propping the door open to the nearest patient's room revealed a tangled mess of sheets, scattered belongings and every other indicator that everyone had up and left. It was then that she heard it, the sirens that made her stomach feel as if she had consumed spoilt milk, leaving her mouth suddenly dry in the anticipation of becoming sick. They became louder and more distinct in the palpitating rhythm, removing any doubt as to what they might be for. The young woman snagged a blanket from the nearest unkempt bed, wrapping it around Kiyra, and ran out the door and down the nearest stairwell two at a time until her lungs burned in protest. Still, she pushed on to the point that her legs felt numb from pain at the unaccustomed, extra weight, before finally reaching the lowest level of the hospital's basement, past the warning that strictly prohibited unauthorized entry.

Ryu rolled off the bed, trying to regain the strength to stand. He only took the weapons and a bag, his coat was wrecked and he didn't have the time to rethread the vest. Ryu half ran and half limped to thhairairs, propelling himself down entire flights with his arms. He ran through the sixth floor stopping for no more than a minute to gather food and water, simply sweeping one's into his bag. He was thrown to the floor by the first explosion which wrapped away the main entrance just metres away. He ran out of the shop lunging for something that caught his eye, an acoustic guitar. He continued downwards not stopping as he beard the lift break and slam to the floor with considerable force. He finally found the basement. He threw the door open and ran down the stairs as another explosion tore down the first floor staircase. Ryu gave a sigh of relief as he found the other two, though he hesitated as he saw the cat ears twitching on his sister's head. He sat down putting an arm around Kiyra running his fingers through her soft hair. "Thanks for finding her, what happened, what's with all t blood?"

Kiyra smiled at her brother sweetly as he sat next to her, She was still shaking but by now she had calmed down considerably in comparison to her original state.