A Tale of Nobodies & Rebels (Slice of Life)

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

of Dirt

[warning=red]We're currently full. Please PM me if you want in and I'll contact you when there's an opening.[/warning]
W7lJZvI.png

You think you're on the verge of greatness. Most of the artistic youth of New York think so. The tales of all those who made it under worse circumstances are written all over the streets and on the subway walls. Most of your family probably would have preferred if you studied something more practical in college (if you even went to college). You have no real reason to believe that you won't end up like the homeless people you pass by in the city every day, but the idea that you'll be on the streets sounds ridiculous to you. You live way above your means, with more than nice clothing and exploring the active nightlife. Still, the weight of a rapidly increasing standard of living is suffocating you and the only thing keeping your dreams alive is your friends, who are experiencing the same thing. Three of them are in a punk rock band that is too raw to ever make it out of playing shows in small bars, but you never know. The rest of them are practicing various other art forms, trying to get noticed in any way they can. You all support each other however you can.

Most of you met through Reiner, who isn't particularly bright or talented, but nobody can help but love him for his charisma and confidence. He's kept the group together since high school and it's only grown and gotten stronger since. He bartends at a live music bar in Manhattan, which has become one of the main places for the group to get together after a long day's work. The band occasionally plays there too. You may not be into the band's style, but you relate to the music's energy. It speaks to the vague feeling that the city is slowly pushing out people like you in favor of the rich and those annoying hipsters who weren't even born here.

But once the alcohol starts hitting your blood stream and you're body is in motion beneath the lights, all that matters is that you're together, and it feels like you're standing with an army.

OOC

• 1) This RP will be more character driven than your average RP. As GM, I will not be railroading this story in any direction or in any way. I will have some influence, but I'm not looking to have a lot. This RP is about the lives of our characters and how they're entwined. So, as a player joining this RP, I am asking (and expecting) that you put a lot of effort into your characters and into plotting with your fellow RPers regarding character relations. As GM, I will from time to time ask the group for opinions on things and I expect some kind of answer from everyone, even if it's very simple or the same answer somebody else gave. As a player joining this RP, I expect you to be involved in the OOC, as it will be important for plotting together.

2) This is an adept RP, which means you are more than familiar with the basics of RPing and are able to provide detailed posts that allow your fellow RPers with enough to work with to provide a detailed post of their own. Your characters have depth.

3) This is a slice of life and realistic RP. If that sounds even slightly boring to you, I would reconsider joining.

4) I need an IC post from each of you once a week. If you can't post because you're waiting on somebody else to respond, post anyway. If I don't hear from you, OCC or otherwise, for two weeks, you'll be ejected from the RP. Characters of players who are no longer in the RP do not just disappear. They will somehow leave the group IC and the character's owner may or may not have a say in how this is done.

5) You can make as many characters as you want, but once you have two characters, you must give me a heads up before making more.

6) Drama IC is good. Drama OOC is bad. If you have a problem and can't deal with it in a civil manner, you'll be ejected.

7) I probably forgot something. You're always free to ask me about anything. Have fun guys =)

• THE ROLES
    *Your character aspires to be one of these and is working to master it. The roles listed are suggestions. You're free to pick one that's not listed here, just get my approval first.
    *I want to see some diversity before there's more than one character of the same role

The Bassist/Lead Vocalist
    The Guitarist
    The Drummer

*once all band roles are taken, the players will decide on a band name or I'll pick one for them
    The Writer
    The Poet
    The Graffiti Artist
    The Actor/Actress

The Cinematographer
    The Graphic Designer
    The Model

The Fashion Designer
    The Dancer
    The Culinary Artist
    The Comedian
    The Animator

The Nobody
    *if your character has no current aspirations or is undecided for whatever reason, you may pick this role.

The Rebel

*you're a political activitist

THE BOROUGHS

*New York City consists of five boroughs and most of the RP will take place within them.

Manhattan: AKA "The City." New Yorkers within the boroughs refer to Manhattan as 'the city,' while New Yorkers outside the boroughs typically refer to the five borough region as 'the city.' The City is where a lot of the action is, easily making it the most annoyingly crowded place on the planet, but you're used to that. If there's something you want, the City has it. Somewhere. The nightlife is always active, the food is diverse and top notch, and the city has the best pizza and beer in the world. There's always something to do and the lights are always on. Go to Times Square at 2 in the morning and you'll see why it's called the city that never sleeps.

Queens: Taking up the largest chunk of land, Queens also takes the crown for most racially diverse population on the planet. Those born in Queens have the unique experience of having grown up exposed to hundreds of different cultures and perspectives, typically making them more empathetic and liberal. Despite the array of cultures, people of the same culture and background tend to live in the same neighborhoods, creating patches of people who refuse to interact with people that are different than them. We generally call these people 'old.' The benefit of this phenomena is the natural organization of things that the City doesn't have. If you want Asian food, you go to the Asian neighborhood. If you want Greek, you go to the Greek one. Queens is also home to the New York Mets.

The Bronx: The Bronx is an old timey place, with plenty of historical sites and parks to visit, home to the New York Yankees, and the birthplace of rap and hip hop. The Bronx Zoo is the largest zoo in the world and always worth a visit (especially on wednesdays. It's always free on wednesday).

Brooklyn: Taking up the second largest chunk of land, Brooklyn is also the most populated borough, both in people and in beaches. It is the home to an independent art scene and Coney Island, a historic amusement park that has rapidly improved to include more modern rides. It is easily the most beautiful borough, particularly the northernmost side, by the water. If you want to go on a particularly romantic date, you probably want to go to Brooklyn. The borough is well known for its three hour Christmas lights tour in December.

Staten Island: to be written. maybe.
    MQJoZ2i.jpg

THE SHEET

Role:

Name: real names

Sexuality: optional

Occupation: since your character is still practicing their craft, they probably don't have a job in their field yet. if they do, it's probably not what they were hoping for. maybe your character is a huge moocher and is living with another character and relying on them for income.

Appearance: height, weight, hair color, eye color, clothing style, etc etc.

Personality: include flaws. nobody is perfect. one paragraph.

Borough of Residence: Your character lives in one of the 5 boroughs. They're all about 40 mins away from each other by car and about an hour and 20 mins by public transport, with the exception of Staten Island. Do not pick Staten Island. Nobody cares about Staten Island =) (seriously don't pick it.)

Dislikes:

Family: who are your parents? do you have brothers or sisters? were you adopted? i hope they're still alive.

Relations: write a sentence or two about your character's relationship with another player's character. how/when they met, what they think of them, etc. Not everyone met in high school and we don't all need to like each other. Maybe you became a part of the group through only one person and only care about that one character. you'll probably have to edit this once everybody has their characters posted.

Bio: How did your character come to start practicing whatever it is they're practicing? What did you do in high school? Did you go to college? If so, how far did you get? If not, why not? Are you going for your masters? The bio does not need to be extensive, but nobody is stopping you.

Misc: anything else you want to share about your character. totally optional

IC Sample: write a scene from your character's past IC.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to join this group :D

Reactions: of Dirt
  • Love
Reactions: Dark_Psycho
still looking for a few

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.