A summer in Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.
He chuckled and slowly started to open his eyes with a yawn. "A few hours, I was going to wake you in a few minutes." Once she moved, he got up and stretched his arms, legs, and back. "Should've done it sooner." Walking over to the table he scooped up his eyes and threw on his leather jacket. It was a nice fit and also a birthday present from Sidney so he typically wore it anywhere he went. Turning towards the living you, he opened the front door, "Ready to go?" He called out.

"Yeah,"she says from behind him. "Let's go." She walks out the door and down his porch, towards his car. She opens up her door and gets in, buckling herself up. She sighs and lays back against the seat, waiting for James to get in the car and take her home. She didn't really want to go home because that meant she wouldn't get to see him for the rest of the night, but she had to go home and pack so that she could see him for the rest of the summer.

"Aye aye captain." He responded, closing and locking the front door once they both were out. Then he hopped off his porch and down the steps with a whistle while making his way towards the car. After getting in, he buckled up and slid the keys into the ignition. "And away we go." Turning the keys the engine roared to life and he pulled off the driveway and down the road. "What time do you want me to come over and pick you up before we go to the airport?"

"Well we need to be there by eleven, so I'd say probably around nine. Then we should have some extra time incase we get stuck in traffic,"she says looking at him."Are you nervous about flying?"

"Nine it is then." James would set his alarm clock for eight-thirty so he could take a shower and grab something to eat. Then he glanced at her for a moment before shaking his head. "No, flying can't compare to what makes me the most nervous."

"Oh yeah? What's that?"she asks looking over at him. She winks and looks forward again, out the windshield."Snakes? Mice? Spiders?" She joked. She started to wonder what his biggest fear was, but realized that might be the one thing she doesn't know about him. In all her life she has spent with him, she couldn't think of one thing that he was scared of. It was always her that was scared, and always him that would protect her.

Glancing at her, he did his best to smile back but his hands tightened around the steering wheel. "No, no, and no." He chuckled a bit. Even guns or the sense of death couldn't faze him, that was something he had witnesses when he was younger. "My fear is..." The young man let out a deep sigh, "Leaving you with that drunkard you call a father and one day coming to see you're gone...that I've lost you." His jaw clenched and he fought the urge to punch the wheel' he needed to keep his cool. "I don't know what I'd do Sidney...I think that would finally put me over the edge..I don't know what I'd do to your father."

Sidney looked over at him and reach out, putting her hand on his,"Nothing because that's not going to happen,"she says slowly."Everything's going to be okay, and you don't have to worry about it. 'Kay?"she asks, looking at him, worried. She knew how he could get when he got angry. That's why she hated having to leave him. As scared as he was to lose her, she was just as scared to lose him. Nothing that her father had ever done to her or could do to her would ever max how scared she is to lose her best friend. Without James, Sidney would be lost, and she knew that. She took a deep breath and tried to smile at him.

James could feel his blood starting to slowly rise and grow hot, his appearance and attitude weren't the only things that gave him the bad boy like image. His temper and ruthlessness in a fight magnified that; especially if something was happening to Sidney. It took a lot to get him angry but when it came to Sidney being picked on or in harm's way his fuse literally disappeared. But feeling her hand caused it to cool once again as he sighed and his hands slowly began to relax. "Alright..." He finally managed to get out and cracked a small smile. "But if he does anything, you need to tell me. You know you can count on me for anything and everything, right?" The young man already had his suspicions but he needed proof to kick the living crap out of the older one.

Sidney moves her hand back go her lap and taps it on her leg. She doesn't respond to him, but turns her head and looks out the window, seeing a few kids riding their bikes on the sidewalk. She smiles at them and realizes that this was the last summer she would have before college. She had gotten excepted into a few colleges, but hadn't decided on any, mainly because she still wanted to be near James, but she didn't even know where or if he was going to college."Where do you want to go to college?"she asks randomly, looking back over at him.

James frowned and both his mind and body deflated. He really wasn't trust worthy was he? Who could really put all their trust in a guy like him, one with a bad past and practically no future worth mentioning. Turning his attention back to the front window, he contuined driving and ignored everything and everyone they passed. Then he heard her question and inwardly sighed in his mind. James was wondering when that dreaded question was going to pop up. "No where." He responded, taking a glance at her before looking forward. "I'm not going to college."

"What?"she asked, confused."Why?" She looked over at him and tried to think of why he wouldn't go to college."You could get into a good college. You have good grades,"she says."You could go for a sport that you play or to do whatever you want to do in life." She'd keeps looking at him, kind of shocked still.

"I just don't want to." He replied, keeping his eyes on the road but could see her reflection. Sidney was looking at him and it felt like he was letting her down. "I know but I just don't want to do, there's nothing out there I really want to do." But that was a lie, James absolutely despised school so why would college be any different? It was essentially a large school you had to pay to go to, the tuition and debt was also too much for him; even with a sports scholarship.

"Liar. Go for music,"she says."You could go so far with it if you wanted to or tried to. You're music is amazing and you know you could get a full scholarship with it,"she says looking at him. She glanced forward and then back over at him."Did you at less apply to any colleges? The deadlines not over yet. You could still apply to some." She feels like she's pushing him too much, so she drops it, but never forgets about it.

James softly and absentmindedly tapped his thumbs against the steering wheel. "Do you know how many people go for music and then after college are unemployed and homeless? A lot." That might have been the case for a scholarship, but he just didn't want to put in anymore work. He was happy they were done with school and he didn't have to do it again. "No, I haven't." Seeing that she decided to stop asking him, James decided to turn it. "What about you?"

"What?" She asks."Oh, a few but I haven't really decided." She looks out the window and stays silent for the rest of the ride until they pulled into her driveway and she unbuckled. She turned to look at him for a minute,"Bye. Don't forget, nine o'clock,"she says opening her door.

He just merely nodded in response. It seemed she really didn't want to talk about anything concerning college now, because of him. The rest of the ride to her house was pretty awkward and felt empty because of how silent it was. Parking, James leaned against his seat. "Bye. I won't forget."

She nodded and stepped out of the car. She started to walk up the steps of her porch and she unlocked her front door before walking in and shutting the door behind her. She kept thinking about why James wouldn't want to go to college while she walked up to her room and changed into a pair of warm, fuzzy, pajama pants and a loose tanktop before she put her suitcase on her bed and started packing her clothes in.

Once she stepped out and closed the door, James pulled out of her driveway and drove down the street. "I'm surprised she isn't embarrassed by me." He mused, glancing at his reflection while driving. "But that's what makes her Sidney and the best girl any guy could ask for." Arriving at his home a few minutes later he got out and locked the car then went into his house and shut the door behind him. Throwing the pizza box into the fridge, he turned off all the lights and went upstairs to his room; pulling off his shirt and changing into a pair of shorts. Then he pulled out his suit and put it into his suitcase before he flopped onto to bed with a sigh.

After Sidney finished packing everything and she had her dresses neatly folded in her suitcase, she grabbed her carry on bag and put small things in it for the plane trip there. She put her stuff by her dresser and flopped down on her bed, turning on the radio. "Sometimes I don't know what to do with him,"she says to herself, chuckling. She knew that deep down, James did want to go to college, he was just holding himself back, and Sidney couldn't let him do that. She had to get through to him before the deadline at the end of the summer, and she had two and a half months to do it. She put her phone on the charger next to her bed and closed her eyes, leaning back into her soft bed,

Status
Not open for further replies.