3. 1-3 posts per week
  4. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
A lot. Can't really pick a few out as it depends on the lore etc. etc. etc.
I will try to make this as coherent as possible. For those who just want to know why this seems as to a Roleplay plot-idea, I guess it could be turned into one? However, that is far from the purpose.
I am writing this because I am most curious about the experiences that people have had with cats, either adopting a stray or having adopted a cat through another means.

Allow me to explain in short:
I am befriending a stray cat, I guess. But I am not sure if it is a stray cat. Though there are some signs, there are other signs that she might not be a stray.
I have considered various ways on how to tackle this. But the truth is that I never have owned a cat or gained an extensive amount of experience dealing with them - I have grown up with dogs, rabbits.
But the problem is that I have an allergy for cats - long-haired ones, so far I can recall from my cat-encounters and the subsequent allergy attacks.

However, I might get into trouble with my landowner. Cause we aren't allowed to have pets. I am not entirely sure if I can call it my pet yet, because I tend to feed her from time to time.

Do you want the long version? With more details? Oh, okay! I can try to provide for you.

I am living on my own in a student-flat. Last year I managed to finish another course and I am considering as planning to take another - my likely last one. At least, the last one for a decade as I am getting weary of constantly studying, exams and all that.
Without to introduce you to a sob story, I am mostly on my own. Of course, I have friends and contacts. But I have started to live in a city where my only socializing contacts have been flatmates - which hasn't advanced further from a short talk - to some coworkers that I enjoy spending time with after work. Kinda a quiet life, if I have to summarize it.

However, the last few weeks I have been in contact with this stray cat. It started with the feline approaching me, likely asking attention. I will admit that I am more of a dog person but I adore all kinds of animals. Problem with cats, however, is that I am just a bit allergic to them - though that never stopped me before...
Anyhow, the encounters with the cat started to increase. I was hesitant at first but eventually started to feed it. After all, she had (and still has) no collar. The little girl doesn't seem like she is starving but I know next to nothing about cats. Hence once more why I am writing here, my dear cat-owners, cat-friends and whatever might be getting this far.

The problem isn't that I can't afford to feed her or that my allergy is slowly plotting how to make me feel miserable. It is my contract: I am not allowed to have pets.
As rebellious as it may sound to me (or as dull as to any more daring rogue out there), I kind of want to see what I can do for her.
Already I have considered various options and plans. Ranging from getting her a collar to see if I will hear something from her actual owner. To get a carrier (is that the right word for it?), lure her in and then get her to see a vet.

I am pretty sure that some people will find it silly that I already gave her a name. Or that the name I picked wasn't good for a cat. But I have dubbed her as Minoes and this are the facts that I've managed to learn:
  • She seems to not be overly fond of some food, such as salmon. The time that I offered it to her, she seemed so upset it was like I wanted to discuss politics with her.
  • She likes music. I found this out when I was humming a particular song. Of course, this could be just some sort of coincidence, at first, I have noticed that she is way more approachable like that. Though once more: that may seem because of my inexperience or lack of knowledge about cats. My dogs never have shown any interest in my vocal talents or taste of music. :(
  • She seems to ignore everybody when she catches sight of me. Then again, that may be simply because she has learned that I won't mind feeding her proper cat food.
  • She doesn't seem to have fleas. After the first time that I got into contact with her - her deciding to sit on my lap while I sat on the couch, minding my own business - I haven't had any symptom that indicates that she carried fleas over. I did get myself checked up the previous week, just in case.
  • She doesn't show any aggression when I take her food away - first time that I attempted this, I made sure to wear a glove. I have heard aggressive cats that have done a lot of harm to a person's hand, arm or face.
Here are some pictures of 'Minoes':
thumbnail-20191230-164441.jpg

* I feed her from a plate. Cause I am afraid if I feed her from a can, she might cut herself on the sharp rim.
* The living room isn't my own. It is shared with flatmates. Sadly, my own tendency or preference to keep things clean isn't shared among my flatmates.

thumbnail-20200106-221731.jpg

thumbnail-20200106-222049.jpg

Some questions that I may be able to answer in advance:

Q: "Have you considered to discuss a solution with your flatmates?"
A: "No and I am not fond of the idea. Though they aren't horrible people, I yet only base this on a few short interactions. I have no clue on what they think of the cat or what kind of people they are. To further elaborate, we live in our own space and just share a few facilities with each other. Other than having talked about the weather and like, I have not in the slightest of a clue what kind of folk they are or might be."

Q: ""Why not just take the cat in your space?
A: "Because if my landlord finds out somehow, I might get evicted. Not something I want to risk. That and I doubt the cat will prefer to be a lot of hours cramped into my space. It is spacious for one person but I doubt a cat will think the same after being stuck in it, for a few full days."

Q: "Is there no sign of her already having an owner?"
A: "Not so far I can see. She has no collar and has no signs to prefer a specific name or sound to be called. Then again: I have grown up with dogs. I have no idea if cats will listen to names or not - or if that is even different from each cat."

Q: "Why even care for a stray cat? If she is stray then who cares what happens to her?"
A: "You know, that has crossed my mind a few times. But cat food is actually quite cheap. It also might have to do with my personal experiences - though I know that it is weird to relate to a cat. Or perhaps it is some kind of cosmic joke that the universe or whatever is throwing at me: A stray cat adopted by a 'stray cat'. In any way or sense, I don't mind helping out an animal or a person. Certainly, if I am able and won't provide any harm to me."

Q: "So, once more: what do you hope to achieve with posting this here?"
A: "I am hoping to get some ideas from you. Genuine good ideas, at least. I have zero experience with taking care of a cat. And with posting the situation here, I am hoping to attract some people that can post an idea that I can put to use. I am not doing it in a bid for attention or something of that sort. "

If you managed to reach here, then please do feel free to post a comment. Genuine constructive ideas and suggestions are more than welcome!

oh my jesus I wrote up a whole post for this and then my browser crashed. O:< Lets try this again.

HELLO I AM A CAT WHISPERER. EVERY CAT IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD KNOWS AND THEY ALWAYS SHOW UP IN MY BACKYARD. I NOW HAVE 7 CATS.

If your place allowed pets and you were not allergic I would tell you to keep that baby forever. O: You're already doin just fine in caring for her, I would only suggest getting her to the vet ASAP to get her spayed (prevent kittens, and territory spraying), and basic shots.

BUT we don't want you to physically suffer (especially if the allergy is really bad. I can't have rabbits because my face starts swelling up, even though I love them), and also we don't want you to get evicted. So the best thing to do would be looking up all your local animal shelters and talking to them about taking her or having you foster her until she can be adopted. Sometimes there are local volunteer organizations that can help rehome animals too, if you check places like facebook, craigslist, or whatever happens to be popular in your area.

• Useful
Reactions: Gerontis
Thanks for your reply!

My allergy is really unpredictable. I remember that back in the days I used to get major rash and would cough constantly, likely some swelling at the throat. Still, as the stubborn (and dumb) boy, I always kept petting rabbits and cats. With Minoes I have been quite careful but I have yet to show signs of a rash or anything else of an allergic reaction. I am thinking it is because most cats I had an allergic reaction with were long-haired.

But I do like your idea to contact local volunteer organizations. There was already an idea of playing in my mind to contact a vet. But bringing her to it would be somewhat of a hassle - as I don't want my flatmates figuring out who has actually tried to take care of her. Buying and taking a carrier with me might give some signs for my flatmates. And I can't trust them >:[

A friend has suggested that I can try to contact an organisation that will have a volunteer or vet (in training) come to my location, to then see if she has been chipped. Not to mention to check if she is actually healthy.