Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
Genres
Horror, fantasy, sci-fi.
September 1940

An expedition from Miskatonic University, (Arkham, MA) travels to Guatemala to investigate the discovery of a ruined temple, speculated to date back the height of the Itza people's civilization.

They arrive to a brutal dictatorship installed by the US Fruit Company where the locals are worked as slaves under thugs armed with American rifles. Undaunted, the expedition continues their dig.

They do not return.

December 1941

The US Fruit Company reports massive losses of staff and product from the Guatemalan plantations, and when communications fail entirely they send a senior executive to investigate. His last contact with the board of directors is twenty minutes of agonized screaming one day later. The government immediately suppress all information and personnel relating to the event, and when Pearl Harbour happens the Central American Crisis is placed on the back-burner.

Over the course of the war in the Pacific, contact with cities and nations around the Gulf of Mexico is lost. The Guatemala Exclusion Zone is implemented. Flyovers of the region show a transforming landscape and terrifying alien lifeforms.

January 1948

The US Government finally becomes aware of the threat growing in south and central America. Immigration laws get tougher, and the internment camps that once housed Japanese Americans are now turned over to refugees. Other camps are set up in Texas and New Mexico.

Tuesday 18th, February 1948. The Nine Hour War.

Cultists among the refugees near El Paso summon an entity codenamed Medusa. Within an hour, every living thing in three counties was killed and eaten, or transformed into a servant of the creature. The National Guard are deployed in unforeseen numbers. After six hours of bravely holding the line, the survivors are relieved by the full force of the US military. The official story alleges a dissident organization, possibly funded by foreign actors, acquired an atomic weapon and staged a coup to force Texan secession from the union. By doing so, the argument goes, a constitutional crisis is circumvented and the public remains unaware of the real nightmare.

Eyewitnesses are interned for observation and information suppression. Those who can't keep to the official story 'die of radiation exposure.' Many more really do die; of alien infections, suicide, and less evident causes. Lobotomy patients flood the appropriate institutions.

Certain survivors are collected by the recently formed CIA and are legally declared dead.

When it seems the situation is stable and congress is scrabbling to deal with the broader effects, the man in charge of the aftermath - General Roger Armistead - writes a lengthy letter defending his actions while addressing the sheer horror of their results.

"All I have done, Sirs, is strive to protect America and the souls of her people. All that I have done has been to kill the monsters on our soil - and now, I kill one more."

He then walked onto his balcony and shot himself in the head.

March 1948

The rest of the decade is spent on ever more draconian immigration laws, clandestine raids, and funding sent to groups in South America to contain the threat. Meanwhile, the El Paso Quarantine is established and Texas is readmitted to the Union. The CIA begin their global campaign of terror in earnest, suppressing governments they perceive as threats to American capital and power. Since no government body has yet been formed expressly deal with the occult, and thus receive no funding, the CIA use a portion of their illegal activities to fund a borderline splinter group fighting against the spreading cults.

Heavily guarded mass graves are dug around the refugee concentration camps.

February 1950

Senator McCarthy leads the foundation of the Bureau for Inhuman Activities, obfuscated with the Bureau for Unamerican Activities. The initial staff is comprised of the rogue CIA faction and survivors of the Nine Hour War, with a small number of refugee camp survivors.. Ruthlessly, they investigate and arrest those accused of holding certain texts, expressing certain opinions, and talking about things they should not know. McCarthy insists it is for the greater good. Other Senators are hard pressed to disagree. In secret, the nascent BIA also has children born in the camps under their care, as many are beginning to demonstrate sorcerous talent. They abduct certain patients in mental institutions for testing in this new Metaphysics Division.

The Bureau spends the next decade building up numbers, performing research, and advising the government how best to contain sites of infection. They also establish contact with similarly-aligned agencies from other nations, such as the Freemason-Templar Detente and the Sons of Solomon.

1960. Present day.

Congratulations, agents. You've been assigned to the New Orleans office, with jurisdiction over Louisiana. It's a high risk zone, located across the Gulf from codename Zero Point. Analytics is still determining the likeliest target, but you've got a base of operations, a budget, and clearance for one Metaphysicist. As usual, you're to keep an eye on academics, immigrant populations, and celebrities. Proper orders will be in the pipe soon enough.

-----------
An RP of horror, conspiracy, and investigation across five decades, from 1960 to 2010, chronicling the travails of the Bureau of Inhuman Affairs.

In an age of paranoia, violence, and espionage, Central America has already fallen to the Dreamlands. Cults conduct sinister rites at the fringes of society and things wearing the faces of men infiltrate the corridors of power. The average person lives in terror of The Bomb and The Reds; agents of the BIA would find nuclear Armageddon preferable to the dreaded day that the stars are right...

We'll be using the current iteration of Chronicles of Darkness, and if you don't own a copy, don't worry. If you are unfamiliar with the system, that's fine, you're in good hands. If you've never played a traditional RPG before, I am patient and happy to bring you up to speed.

I would like four players, but may be convinced to accept a fifth.

Currently:
@Alexandra - Metaphysicist
@Sideris
@AtomicItalian
@Perdido

We need:
Lead Agent
Analyst
Agent (ideally one that's handy with fists or firearms).

This game will include historically appropriate depictions of prejudice and injustice, but I am anxious to address any hard limits players may have on that kind of language or violence.

I have example characters and pre-made mechanical sheets if those'd help anyone.

LEMME SEE CHARACTER CONCEPTS
Character thread: CHARACTER INDEX - A Strange Eon Character Thread

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Perdido
Once I wake up and/or sober up, I'll get right on it!

I wouldn't mind rolling up some sort of agent, but if needed I'm happy to have my character assume command. :3

Last edited:
I'd be fine as lead as well but I'm also interested in analyst too. @Perdido do you want to roll lead and I'll go analyst?

Useful things you learn in the Analytics Department:

• Rudimentary Enochian
  • Warding and Binding
  • Memetic Viruses And You
  • The 7 Lesser Canticles of the Silver Key

Useful things you learn in the Analytics Department:

• Rudimentary Enochian
  • Warding and Binding
  • Memetic Viruses And You
  • The 7 Lesser Canticles of the Silver Key

Excellent. So how much creative freedom do we have with character concepts? Should everyone be a stuffy military person or can we bring in some oddballs? Like a brilliant Commie-sympathizing proto hippie who is working for the Man to stay out of prison for creating experimental drugs?

Like a brilliant Commie-sympathizing proto hippie who is working for the Man to stay out of prison for creating experimental drugs?

You may be under strict orders not to interact with the public, but I'd allow it. Analytics and Metaphysics are where the oddballs typically wind up.

Whoever leads the team is probably going to have to have some plan to put me down if necessary. Like, you'll receive a dossier from HQ on how to deal with my particular skill set.

U guise?
I'm working on my sorcerer currently. Am I going to be alone here??

Status
Not open for further replies.