A Story of Mages: The Rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet I'll work on a cs now so!
Is there a minimum age because I was considering playing a female child with massive potential power but obviously limited actual power since she is too young to be fully aware and sufficiently experienced. (Roughly 9-12 years age range but I could make an utterly different character if that's not okay, I have other ideas)
Not the GM so Don't take this as gospel but: They have to be able to go on a really dangerous quest and deal with all sorts of monsters, so its unlikely the child would be sent off.

Not the GM so Don't take this as gospel but: They have to be able to go on a really dangerous quest and deal with all sorts of monsters, so its unlikely the child would be sent off.
Right so, I'll keep that in mind cheers!! Will pick an aged up char so!

The cons seem to outweigh the pros when sending a young girl off to fight enemy Mages, Demons, and Orcs. The only advantage other than an extra soldier is the hope that Ulric could mould her into a good example of what the legalized Mages under the empire could be.

The Cons go from severe backlash from the people, to her age making her hard to control, to built up trauma resulting in her lashing out later in life. The Empire wouldn't take that chance.

She may have sufficient powers or a different mentality that allows her to withstand it... But the Empire would have no way of knowing it.

• Thank You
Reactions: CaptainObvious
The cons seem to outweigh the pros when sending a young girl off to fight enemy Mages, Demons, and Orcs. The only advantage other than an extra soldier is the hope that Ulric could mould her into a good example of what the legalized Mages under the empire could be.

The Cons go from severe backlash from the people, to her age making her hard to control, to built up trauma resulting in her lashing out later in life. The Empire wouldn't take that chance.

She may have sufficient powers or a different mentality that allows her to withstand it... But the Empire would have no way of knowing it.

I see the issues there ^^" Would it be okay if she had an "older brother" type figure or a guardian of sorts? If its too problematic I have no problem making an utterly different character (I do quit elike what I had in mind though but the character bank is always open for withdrawals lol).

I was thinking her role could be more like, as you say setting an example of what Mages should be, rather than being on the forefront of battles. She would be far removed from the front lines and focus on healing or passive abilities rather than charging into battle because, a child has no place in a battle (even though medieval squires were as young as 13/14 ... they are trained with sword and shield since 6-8 yrs old and ... well they aren't little girls. Im not expert on the middle ages but I think most squires were at least 16 before going to battle rather than going as soon as they are 13 or 14.)

Shall I PM you or is it totally out of the question? :)

You could PM me, and we could discuss it.

Mage Character Sheet
Appearance:
b5f5caeaafb21fa29e587e78b8f159a1.jpg
Name: Little Mouse
Application: Communication-Alchemy
Class: Cleric, worships a Goddess of Justice and Mercy (Libris).

Spells:
Silence (Magic silence):
Mouse can create a small area of "magic silence", thus disrupting or completely quashing the casting of a spell. This is only a temporary affect and only applies to a small area, or, in the case of confined areas or crowded areas, it is only effective on a limited number of magic users. The duration, area and number of people this spell can affect will grow as her power grows.

Magic Dreams (Claivoyance/Precognition): She can put herself into a sleep-like state but similar to lucid dreaming, she maintains a degree of control and awareness of what is going on but unlike lucid dreams she is present in the "real world" and not an imagined dreamworld.
Sometimes she unintentionally has magic dreams which result in visions of the past or potential futures (precognition). She cannot force magic dreams that conjure visions on purpose, however she can force her magic dreams to take her to places or persons to hear/see/etc (clairvoyance).
The drawback of this ability is that she has to "sleep" to use her clairvoyant powers thus leaving her vulnerable and immobile.

Mouse Trap (Psychic Draining): She can drain a persons magic through touch however it must be skin on skin contact, she often wears gloves to prevent accidentally draining someone though this has never happened, she has to focus on casting Mouse Trap. The downsides is that 1. she has to touch her target skin-to-skin which means she needs to be in close quarters and that a target who is fully covered head to toe will not be affected. 2. She does not absorb any powers or strength/magic from a target, the magic passes straight through her (sometimes draining some of her own temporarily). Potential growth for this power is that she may be able to drain magic via psychic touch and/or that she'll be able to absorb power rather than drain it and gain none for herself.

Griffon (Healing): She imbues bandages with healing herbs and balms and paints little feathers on them (like griffon feathers) which is why she calls her healing "Griffon Hugs". When she isn't praying or trying to help collect intelligence or sabotage enemies she often prepares Griffon Bandages in her spare time so there is always plenty to use when anyone is injured.

Lucky Rabbit (Magic Pouches): She skins and sews up rabbit hides to make pouches which can be enchanted for all sorts of purposes (such as carrying poisons, potions, for bombs and so on). Unlike regular hide/leather pouches she can make them unusually tough (for rabbit skins) or fragile (like paper-thin) depending on their intended purpose (e.g. a poison would have a thin pouch so it could be easily opened/torn when placed on a proposed victim whereas health potions would be tougher to prevent them being easily torn or pierced).

Personality: Quiet as a mouse, hence her name Little Mouse. She's soft spoken when she even speaks and seldom seems like a child at all and more like a wizened saint. She doesn't laugh or play, occasionally cracks a small smile but the words "play" and "fun" are largely absent from her vocabulary. She's not deathly serious either, but she is very very invested in her faith, pious is how she can be described.
She likes small things, little simplicities like a field of flowers or sharing her treats with small creatures. She loves to learn and listens often but asks few questions, she is obedient and rarely misbehaves, she would only act out if facing severe injustices or something that betrayed her religious teachings unjustifiably.
A generally pleasant girl, she dislikes the violence around her but is all too aware that justice and mercy are parts of life and that the sword can be a weapon and also a giver of retribution. Wise beyond her years, theres not much of a child left in her but occasionally her youthfulness does present itself. Shes too easily trusting, but her guardian tends to make up for her generous trust with his overzealous mistrust of others.

Back story: Abandoned as a young baby in a temple in an old town, she was raised by a nun for a number of weeks before finally being dropped off to a regular run-of-the-mill orphanage. Despite being too young to recall her time as a temple-baby, she found herself brought back to the very temple she'd been left in and it was there she spent a great deal or time during the day with the nun who saved her. She had a deep connection and a "gift" ever since she was too young to even understand it.

She was about 4 years of age when her name "Little Mouse" really stuck, as she had no birthname she just had her nickname, given to her because of her small size and quietness. "Have you seen the Little Temple girl?" "No, she creeps about like a little mouse". Over time she simply became known as Little Mouse or Mouse for short and began introducing herself as such.

Beneath the orphanage was a tavern, in which a young boy named Loren lived with his family. Mouse was prone to wandering but seldom spoke to people, she grew fond of Loren and he became a brotherly figure to her. 8 years her senior, he is fiercely protective of her. Despite his commoner birth, he is skilled with dagger and bow, as a child he worked as a fletcher despite his family being tavern-folk. His uncle, a travelling huntsman, would take him out of the town regularly to teach him dagger and bow, Mouse often accompanied them where she tended the fire while they notched and shot arrows at tree targets and later, wild game and rabbits.

Mouse was never formally adopted but she left the orphanage and grew up with Loren and his family since she was 8 years old simply because she was practically a permanent fixture there already. The temple nun did her best to help Loren and Mouse manage her abilities, especially as they frightened her at first. Now Mouse has been recruited to rescue the Court Mage, Loren refused to let her go alone and vowed to be her sword and shield (or bow and dagger as it seems), he didn't trust anyone else would care for her properly and feared she'd not be happy in a world full of strangers.

Strengths: Optimism, psychic abilities and resilience. For a small donny girl, she's got unusually good luck when it comes to surviving, from her abandonment in a cold old temple to living out in the wilds. Where other children would die or catch illnesses, she's surprisingly strong. She's able to skin animals and cook and tend fires well. She can hide well and crawl into tight places,

Weaknesses: Her size and youth mean she lacks the experience, strength and knowledge of her older companions. Despite her maturity for her age, she is still a child though not particularly childish, Loren encourages her to play and be a "normal" child before she's too old for those kinds of things, sometimes she can be distracted by menial things like pretty flowers and girlish dreams. She tires quicker than others due to her age.

Misc: Mouse never wears shoes, as those who are particularly devout followers of her god's/goddesses forsake wearing shoes. Loren will often carry her on his back to spare her feet and she bandages her feet from time to time, but the soles of her feet are already very rough and leathery. Loren carrying her diminishes his ability to attack potential hostiles but it does allow her to move while she has Magic Dreams, should they need to move while she sleeps, it also helps her to keep up with the rest of the Mages, she is too small to keep the same pace as a grown/tall man or woman.
She likes to eat rabbits and stitch together pelts to make coats and cloaks.
Her magic tool is a lucky-rabbits paw pendant that she wears around her neck. Loren caught the rabbit and he and his uncle made it into a pendant for her, she wore it the first time she ever had a Magic Dream and she uses it to help her focus.

Spirit Loren sheet:
Appearance:
a30590e5a7b75510bdeebcc258eb2442.jpg
Name: Loren Briarheart
Abilities: skilled hunter and survivalist, wields various bows and daggers (he carries a shortbow and an ornate stiletto dagger but he can use others bow (longbow, crossbow etc) and other daggers (dirk, curved blades, parrying blade etc)
Personality: He appears cold and serious and distant to most, but to Mouse he is warm and loving (as any big brother should be). He's incredibly wary of any who come near him or Mouse and slow to trust people. Those who mean him and Mouse no harm he can be a pleasant young man with dry wit and the charm you'd expect from a tavern-born boy. Hes the first to admit he has no clue how this "magic-stuff" works but he keeps an open mind, mostly for Mouse's sake.

Back story: (look at Mouse)
Misc: He's ambidextrous.

I can see Loren and Nathaniel having a argument when Nathaniel just picks mouse up and dumps her on Morkai's back with him.

I can see Loren and Nathaniel having a argument when Nathaniel just picks mouse up and dumps her on Morkai's back with him.

He would not be pleased xD

"I'm riding a Incarnation of storm and lightning. I can cast and do battle while keeping an eye on her. You however are walking around like a chicken with a book on its back. you can't do anything."
Or something to that effect. I cannot wait till we start, its going to be quite funny and no doubt quite good.

"This chicken can lodge an arrow between your eyes from 20 leagues or put a dagger in your back while you sleep. I've protected her since she could barely walk and I've done a good enough job so far, magic or no. Touch her again and I'll cut off those pretty little fingers of yours and make a necklace of them to match Mouse's rabbit paw"

I can see this going REALLY well.

Alexander: The lords best archer, with the most powerful longbow could barely reach 1 leauge, more about 200 yards. You must be using magic of some kind. Now stop bickering like children.

Nathanial: This is my argument thank-you. but his point stands, I was going to make a point about the fact that you are more useful to her when you CAN do that, rather than carrying her. I only have her best interests, and yours, at heart. but if you wish to put her at further risk for your own selfish desires, then you can.

Mind you this is why the IC needs to be up.

Additional: I am presuming due to the style of the high fantasy we are using Avalon/old english style weapons and armour. If not my range needs to be corrected to 380 yards. as 200 yards is the effective/competitive range of a old english longbow at its best with a imensly strong archer, where as 380 is the maximum range archived with a Mongol combat bow (excluding the 500m world record holder).
However if we are talking distance TOTAL 1km is not unheard of in flight shooting, however this is non-combative and the arrow would be incapable of pearcing flesh.

ehem. I apologize. I'm a little bit of a mythos nut and old english weapons and dragons are my two favourites.

I'm hungover and don't even know how long a league is xD but thanks for the info :D

Just a heads up, I spend a lot of time hungover but I'll try behave and make sense xP hiihii

I'm hungover and don't even know how long a league is xD but thanks for the info :D

Just a heads up, I spend a lot of time hungover but I'll try behave and make sense xP hiihii
1 leauge is 5 and a half kilomiters.

just a little bit. gotta love ye old mesurments!
so, pop quiz, who knows where the term leauge comes from?

just a little bit. gotta love ye old mesurments!
so, pop quiz, who knows where the term leauge comes from?
Something to do with boats? I have no clue

Something to do with boats? I have no clue
not quite. It's the distance a man could walk in a hour. for example the distance between london and liverpool (a standard trade rout in old england) is 51.5190785 leauges, indicateing it took just over 51 hours to walk it on average. this means that you spend 6 hours a day walking, or 7, it would take you 9 or 10 days to walk the distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.