A Story of Mages: The Rescue IC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nathaniel smiled as he glanced at the note "The winds Roar." He muttered as a soft wind started up around him, it wasn't anything massive, just enough to ruffle clothes and mess with his allready all over the place hair. However it was by and far strong enough to shred spiders, That and the fact that the wind itself was focused down in to edged blades, to a normal person, it would feel like hailstones, to a spider, it was like a storm of razor wire. He then went right back to eating not a care in the world. He'd finally finished his food when he settled back. "I'm sorry, Its rare I get a shot at such nice food." He said and smiled at Alexander. "so, we three will be going off on a adventure. how...exiting." He said, it wasn't clear if he was being sarcastic or just debating if it was to be so interesting after all.

"Its not a matter of kindness or wanting repayment, It is a simple matter of treating my companions as they should be treated. as my friends." He said "I thank you non the less." He said as the food for him and Marin arrived. "Be wary on how much you drink, we'll be leaving tomorrow first thing." He warned both Nathanial and Marin before starting to eat slowly. "this is some fantastic food." He admitted before looking round the bar, he was slightly weary of the towns folk, yes they were mages and could handle themselves but with the amount of damage mages had caused to the town before and the the nature of drunk people he was worried about a angry mob or a barfight happening. He didn't want to have to use any magic in the town.

((Sorry for the short post, Little busy but refuse to give up on this))

Inn-
A man in a red cloak opened the door and strode into the bar in a way to make his presence very easily known. By the design of the cloak, as well as the crossbow that he brandished, marked him as an obvious Witch-Hunter. He walked in, and while he grabbed a seat he announced his presence, almost as if he was giving an enthusiastic presentation.
First, he bowed.
"Ladies and Gents of the Magical practice, my name is Astor, I'm one of the Hunters, and the bosses in charge of my organization have told me to spy on yeh guys. I am also, in fact, one of the five-hundred who will be supporting yeh Mages as yeh spearhead the attack. SO, as yeh probably guessed, some of the locals are a little bit scared, as yeh may not know, we're still finding bones in some of the farther corners of town. To put my job in a nutshell, I'm supposed to walk up in here, pretend to be a 'regular individual', and eavesdrop on everything ye say and do to ensure the safety of civilians, guards, and Hunters. So far what I got on my list, is that yeh guys did little more than throw lightshows and glitterdust at eachother, and generally kept to yehselves. So just a little heads up, if yeh want to plot my demise, don't say it out loud, and if yeh want to summon a demon, do it while I'm not looking."

He turned towards the lady manning the bar whilst laying down a small pouch of coins.
"I'll have a pint and a room."

Looking back to the Mages, he concluded;
"Here are the facts as I know them. Ulric will be leading yeh, and a team of Elite Hunters will be leading us Hunters. When Ulric is too busy, I will be one of the middlemen, relaying important information back and forth. I was meant to learn what makes yeh all tick before I met yeh for real, but I preferred this method. To wrap all of this up, I need to earn yer collective trust. Any questions, concerns, or death threats? Oh, and this crossbow, I may be holding it because I'm ready to shoot anyone at any moment, or I may be holding it because I have nothing resembling a holster or sheath to carry it for me. I repeat; Questions? I am willing to disclose any information I know about the Witch Hunters right now, under the condition that you tell nobody what I told you."

Ulric-
By this time, Ulric had returned to his quarters within the castle, hopefully he wouldn't have a hard time with the Mages. It was then that a few hunters knocked on the door, before slipping a note under detailing information about an additional Mage.

Frederick-
Frederick had eventually fallen asleep on a desk in his house, after working tirelessly to make as much stuff as he could for the trip. The Witch hunter dispatched to guard him peered in through a jar in the door, to find him unconscious, face-down in his sleeves as an empty bottle rolled along the floor. The Hunter backed out and closed the door.

Astor:
The Ranger.jpg

Reactions: tastygoldentaters
When Alexander warned them both about drinking, Marin tried her best not to roll her eyes - she shut them instead, and sighed. He seemed to be a good man, but he came off as a bit serious. She took one gulp from her beer and tried to relax. Truth was, she didn't really know what to expect from this adventure, as Nathaniel had put it. She wasn't even the one summoned to the city, and had it not been for her mentor's encouragement and, at the same time, pressure, she would still be at the island taking care of fishermen's harpoon accidents and injuries from bar fights, with the occasional travelling warrior or ill resident. A worry started forming in her mind, and she joined the conversation in an attempt to calm her thoughts.

"Who exactly are 'we', though? I mean... I know there's you, Alexander here... who else?" She tensed up and looked around, hiding her fidgety hands under the table. The only time she seemed to stand out was when she showed Ulric's message to the guard; other than that, she probably looked nothing but average, with her brown hair, simple staff, and plain clothes, she was sure to blend in.

The man in the red cloak, not so much. As soon as he entered the inn, she could see he was no average customer. And from the way he talked to them, it was made clear not only that he was no stranger to combat, but that the mages were the same. She felt her stomach sinking in as she realised just what she had signed up for.

Nathaneil Shrugged. "There was a alchemist, some spider chick and some other guy with a 12 year old gal, but thats it." He said and stretched back looking at Astor "And my name is Njal StormCaller and The fact that this inn is still standing may be because I been holding back the desire to set of a lightning storm of ungodly proportions or it might just be because I like the food." He said before shaking his head. "Pompous twit." he chided before shaking his head "All this security for the normal people and the city and no one is considering the potential for some thick headed, and even thicker chested drunk might go and put a bottle in the neck of the very people they expect to save their town." He said before waving the barmaid over "Another plate of that fantastic pie of yours if you would be so kind?" He asked with the charming smile back on his face.

Alexander sighed and continued to eat and drink, ignoring the hunter as well as the other two. He was keeping his eyes on the group of men in the far corner of the bar who were whispering with their heads close together casting glances over to the table with the mages at it. He was starting to get worried, there was four of them at that table, and as far as he could tell there was only 2 of them here who would or could fight, He doubted the brash and unfriendly sounding hunter was going to do anything to help them in the slightest. Hell it was likely from the way he spoke he'd cheer on the attackers and then call it a unfortunate incident. he suspected Alexander may be able to fight, and he was pretty confident that the young girl he'd saved from the guard could fight. He moved sightly, scratching his neck and unclipping the small clasp that held his blade in its sheath when he was riding or moving enabling him to draw it far easier.

Last edited:
Marin did not see the group of men approaching their table from behind her back, and she also did not see their entitled faces just before they got ready to attack. But she certainly felt one of them yanking her chair and pushing her aside as they confronted the men at the table, and she fell to the floor. It was a small group of men, two older ones and three of them who looked maybe a couple of years older than her. All of them smelled like ale, and the younger ones snickered and laughed while the older men lead the way.

"You see, boys, just as I was telling you," one of the older men, a bit on the fat side and with thick facial hair, said "this scum here has been allowed in our town. They think they're so fancy, with their weird clothes and dumb tricks. Well, ain't them scrawny when you look up close!"

"I bet they can't take five minutes against real men," the other man, bald and chunky, spit on the table while the younger ones stuffed their chests and tried to look intimidating. The chunky man took an empty bottle and cracked it on the table, pointing it to each of her companions in turn.

Now, that was just rude. Marin grabbed her staff and tried to hit his head with it, but the movement was stopped by one of the younger drunks, who laughed at her face as he closed his grip around her staff.

"What, you wanna fight, cutie pie?"

Nathanial kicked back from the table, his reaction more defensive than agressive, the air around him crackling with latent energy, However it was mostly directed at the witch hunter who'd joined them. "Stay out of this, if you get involved it'll only worsen both sides reputation. Its a matter of pride." He said as he stood ready, lightning danced at his fingertips. He was rooted to the spot, torn by duty and history. He KNEW that he should step in, for the sake of his newfound companions and their sake, but his history among the tribes dictated that Storm Walkers only did battle with other stormwalkers. He decided that he wouldn't step in unless one of the offenders showed magical tendency, or the witch hunter attempted to get involved. Hair on end, lightning snapping around his body and the shadow of a immense wolf standing over him as Morkai did his best to force a manifestation he was a terrifying sight to behold, even if he wasn't all that tall or bulky.

Alexander on the other hand had no such qualms about getting involved in the altercation, he started by punching the man who had hold of the staff square in the nose as he rose from the table. He hadn't bothered grabbing his sword, he more went for the 'shock and awe' display of laying in to them with blows delivered at precise points, much like he had with the guard earlier. Though the most unnerving thing was the fact in the middle of it he let out a roar and shouted at those left standing "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD, SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE. YOUR WORLD WILL BURN!" and with that statement the demonic faces on his armour lit up with a red and black fire, looking out upon those around them as if hungry to feed.
It took the total of the next 15 seconds before the rest of the drunks were scrambling for the door in fear of this 'Vampire demon magic type' as they called him. In reality he'd used no magic other than a small amount of Hellfire to light his armour up and that was it, the rest of it was the simple matter of a trained fighter in plate armour made from metals unknown to this world against a bunch of bar room drunks. It was in effect, a one sided battle. The fact he'd used magic to scare them shitless probably saved far more blood and injury that not using magic would have.
However the moment they were all outside Alexander was helping clean up the mess as well as offering to buy the entire bar a drink as way of apology, the lights on his armour winked out as if by magic. And he was helping to carry those he'd knocked out or broken limbs off out of the bar and on to the street. He was even humming to himself like this was a day to day occurrence. "You would think, That anyone stupid enough to fight a mage, would be smart enough to realise that getting punched in the face by a gauntleted fist hurts." he said just loud enough for anyone listening to overhear before grinning at Marin with the warmest smile he could as he ruffled her hair "Don't worry kitten, no injuries to heal this time." He said sat back down, after righting the table, which had been sent flying by his sudden, and violent, entry in to the midst of the drunks.

Marin stepped back as soon as her staff had been released. She held it loosely in one hand and stared while Alexander took care of the group of men. She had no time to move towards Nathaniel for protection when she heard the other man roar. His words were of blood and demons, and his armour seemed to have come alive with fire; she had never seen anything like that in all her life, and if she wasn't frozen in place she would have screamed and ran away like the drunks that had attacked them - they were so loud they must have startled the entire inn, or maybe the demonic faces did that. Marin blinked a few times and lifted a chair from the ground, having a seat. She looked around the room, her gaze avoiding Alexander, while she tried to make her breath steady again; for sure no voice would come out of her throat for a while.

When her hands were no longer shaking, she stood up and proceeded to help the bartender, who had a scratch in her cheek from a flyaway piece of broken glass. "Excuse me, may I?" Marin lightly touched her cheek and felt her palm warming up as the scratch faded away. The bartender looked confused and jerked her head back, and Marin politely excused herself and left the inn for some fresh air, instantly regretting her idea of helping the townsfolk with her magic. They were frightened enough as it were.

She stepped out into the fresh night air and looked up at the stars before she stumbled over a passed out man on the street. She looked around and saw the one person she wanted to avoid. Alexander hummed and said something she couldn't really grasp about gauntlets while he helped the injured people, and then he looked at her. His face was like it had been when they were talking at the bar, and nothing about it seemed dangerous or demonic. Instead, he showed her a warm smile, and she felt horrible for being afraid - he had been nothing but kind since she arrived in town, and had just protected their group, something she knew she could not have done on her own. Still, she looked at his armour and couldn't forget the way the demonic faces had looked just a few minutes ago, so she looked at her feet instead and walked over to him. "Do you need any help? Are you hurt?", she asked.

"Don't worry, kitten, no injuries to heal this time." He ruffled her hair and she felt even worse for flinching, and hoped he didn't notice. She followed him back to the bar and sat down, looking everywhere but to his face while she curled a strand of hair between her fingers. The bartender was in a corner, and Marin averted her gaze when their eyes met.

Inn

After the events of the scuffle, Astor leaned back in his chair.
"The young man observes the situation he finds himself in. He takes offense at the notion that nobody has been sent for the protection of him and his comrades in the event that they be threatened or endangered. But when push comes to shove, he requests I stay out of it. As such, I present my argument as to why you have no such guards. Yeh simply don't need 'em. From my guesses, it would take a team of five Witch-Hunters with repeating crossbows and a steady aim firing from all different angles at once after catching yeh with utter surprise in order for us to have what could be equated to an upper hand. Therefore, we have to protect yeh from this drunken rabble about as much as we needed to squish those spiders for yeh."

He leaned his chair back on two legs, looking our through the window to the darknening sky.
"It's starting to get late. Yeh all may want to get goin' to sleep, big day tomorrow and such. I'll snooze down here in case any more thugs want to throw their sorry arses at you. And keep in mind, as far as you know, I'm just a civilian."

Marin nodded at Astor and rose from her chair, glancing at the bartender before going upstairs. She found her room - a pretty good one, she noticed - and took off her boots before checking her sack and preparing everything she would need for the next morning. When everything was set, she laid on the soft mattress. Sleep took her shortly after.

---

The next morning, she got up soon after sunrise, laced her boots and went out of her room. She had not brushed her hair last night, and she doubted anyone would wait for her if she stayed in her room getting ready, so she didn't even bother. She walked into the tavern and ordered some bread and a cup of black coffee, brought to her by the woman she had healed last night. The bartender smiled at her. Marin just nodded and kept her head down, waiting for her other companions.

Last edited:
Nathaniel was awake, But by some magical mishap he was stuck to the roof. He looked more than a little annoyed by this. "This is so dam stupid." He said as, for the fourth time, he attempted to drink his nettle tea upside down, and for the fourth time, managed to only half drink it before spilling a little on to the floor under him. "You refuse to let a horse sized battle wolf manifest for a tavern bawl and the son of a bitch electricity charges every hair on you body so you are attached to the roof." He complained as he looked down and around. "Good morning!" He chirped as Marin walked in.

Alexander was sat in the corner, Looking more than a little pissed off and supping a cup of foul smelling tea, he was grumbling something about having to pay for lost custom when the assholes had started it. He didn't look very sociable, maybe he just wasn't a morning person.

Hildegarde awoke to the gentle rustling of the sheets being pulled away from her by her little pets, as they were ordered to do to wake her up. She stretched as she sat up, and quickly dismissed her unneeded servants. She quickly changed out of her nightclothes, into a fresh robe, and sent her luggage bearing pet away. She made her way downstairs and glanced around, rolling her eyes in annoyance when she didn't see their would be leader, "Of course he isn't here yet" She complained, thinking of how she could've slept in a little. She took a seat in the corner, snapping her fingers at the waitress, "Bring me a cup of black tea" she ordered, tossing a single gold coin to the girl. A few minutes later she was sipping on her drink as she rather impatiently awaited Ulric's arrival. She gave little more than a nod of acknowledgement to her fellows that were present, Hildegarde wasn't exactly a morning person but she was mostly just impatient to get things going.

They were stalling. At the far end of the prison cells the shuffle of feet was growing increasingly uneasy, easy conversation turned sour as morning dawned. It had been a long and uncomfortable night, after a week Meloni would have hoped that she would have been used to the raggedy bed and cold floors, but it had maintained its gloominess surprisingly well. Her hands itched with disuse, clamped still by a special pair of manacles. It had taken her two days to loose hope of undoing her bonds, but it seemed the Witch-Hunters were not going to let her go that easy and had prepared a special set just for her. Oh but now, now she was quite glad they had, the look on their faces when they had made their little proposition was worth the uneasy nights and infernally dull days. Well, almost worth it, they had as of yet refused to undo her shackles and the only excuse she had managed to get from them was "paper work". More than likely they just didn't want her disappearing on them...again.

Now with morning here they could delay no longer, else they make her late. Well, she just hoped she was still in time to see Ulric's face when he learns that she was to be included among his number.

------------------------------------------------------------------

With a heavy thud the inn door swung open to reveal a sharp faced woman. Worn traveling clothes hinted at the journeys she had seen, while a graying strip of cloth round her left eye spoke of the dangers she had faced along the way. Even with a slump to her shoulders and a dip of her head there was a few moments where she betrayed a sense of power. The moment was lost as she looked around and noticed a man stuck to the ceiling. Composure broken now a wide grin split her face and she walked over to stand under the stranger.

"You ah, you having some trouble there friend?" She asked her grin only getting wider. Briefly she wondered if this was already a victim of a Mage's new found freedom, but his unconcerned expression lead her to believe otherwise. It was almost fascinating to see, it had been so long since she had been able to talk with another Mage freely she had almost forgotten there were others hiding in the world just as she had been.

Reactions: tastygoldentaters
Marin looked up and gasped when she saw Nathaniel stuck to the roof, trying to drink tea. She waved at him and smiled.

"Good morning!"

With her head up, she could see that Alexander was already there, in the corner, and that another woman had also arrived. There was no sign of anyone who could be the man who had summoned them, though. She nodded at the woman and waved at Alexander, then looked back to Nathaniel, who seemed to be the only one in a good mood.

"Has the captain arrived? I have no idea what he looks like, but I haven't seen anyone new this morning."

She moved her head towards the door and straightened her back, assuming it would be their leader. A woman entered the tavern instead, and Marin gave her a shy nod, still sitting upright. She relaxed a bit when she saw the woman had a grin on her face, then took another sip from her coffee, which was already growing cold.

Last edited:
Reactions: E.T.
Status
Not open for further replies.