A Spark

"Felix relax! We are fine. I want to get caught for this part so I can talk to an engineer." She insisted, turning her attention to the half built machine in front of her. "See how long this is? Looks like it could be fun."

His eyes opened wide in disbelief, still hung on her first words, "Wait a minute! You want to get caught trespassing!?"

"Well not when you put it that way." The girl responded with a sarcastic tone and cock of her head, but she paused the corners of her mouth drooped slightly. One quick shake of her head and the brazen smile returned "I am going for admiring the work and sparking a conversation from there." She said standing to look at the engine being assembled atop one of the benches and stealing a glance at the motionless doorways.

"A...alright..." he said, still looking very unconvinced and hesitant.

"What are you doing? This is no place for loitering. You need to go back to the show room." The stern voice carried across the room. The man's stalky form was covered in a greasy work coat too long for his stature, and he was swiftly approaching with the blunt parts he had just finished machining in hand.

Felix clearly shrunk under the man's stern voice, "Now we're done for!" he stuttered worriedly.

Alexis looked up from the table eyes wide, which she hoped would pass off as curiosity. "How long is that wheel base? Is it going to be monstrously heavy?" She asked gesturing at the vehicle on the floor.

The man was not impressed "What part of go back to the show room did you not understand?"

"Im shopping, I was wondering about..."

"Go shop out there or leave!" He barked

Alexis clamped her mouth closed.

Felix, with some sort of hidden stroke of courage, shakily stepped forward, putting himself between the man and Alexis. "S..she just wanted to see the bike...sir" he said quite shakily, trying his best to seem brave.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
'Fine, but if I could just talk...' Alexis' train of thought was cut off as Felix back replaced her view of the mechanic. So there was something to this man, a genuine smile went unseen behind him.

"It's not yours to see." He returned gruffly, arching his neck to look up at the young man, pointing at the door leading directly to the display room. "Take her to see the bikes for sale."

"Of course," he said hastily, quickly grabbing her by the hand and leading her out of the room.

Alexis followed, quick light steps keeping pace. The door snapped shut behind them. Coming around beside him she smiled broadly, not yet letting go of his hand, and examining his face for the sudden boldness that had overstepped his worry.

As they came clear of the garage, Felix stopped, suddenly bending over, gasping as he pulled an inhaler from his pocket, wheezing through several sprays.

Reactions: 2 people
"Felix! Are you okay?" She gasped, tilting over to watch but trying to give him space, her hands fidgeting with worry not sure what to do except let him catch his breath.

He stood upright, nodding furiously, dislodging his glasses. As he pushed them back on, he said, "Oh..I'm uh...fine, just choked on something." He desperately hoped she hadn't figured out that the encounter with the man had sent him into a fit of asthma.

"Alright." She nodded, hardly reassured, and her eyes narrowing. She moved away into the room, looking at the variety of two wheeled contraptions, questioning the outcome of getting Felix on one. She kept stalling glances at him, unable to make up her mind.

He observed the vehicles with obvious wonderment.

None of them were quite what she hoped for and she scowled thinking of the little she had seen in the garage which was by far most appealing. Standing up beside the scooter she had been looking at both hands preached on her hips, she scanned the room again "I don't know Felix, what do you think of all these things?"

He looks around at the various vehicles, obviously impressed with them, "They're nice, probably really expensive."

"Rightfully so, with all the customization that goes into them...how long do you think that wheel base was?" She asked looking longingly at the closed door to the garage.

He thought for a moment, tapping his glasses, "Erm....I'd say about....7 feet?"