A Space for Revenge (Peregrine & Diana)

By the look on his face, Ceres was certain that didn't bode well for her new ship. Doing her best to hide a grimace (instead it coming out as a frown and a twist of her mouth), she debated her finances.

The ship needed to be in it's best condition to fly. This was their primary transportation, their business, their home now. It needed to be safe and fly worthy, or there would be no doing anything.

How strange and frustrating she had to think of this in terms of "they" and "we" and "us"! Had he not been on board, Ceres could've cut a few corners here and there. Her own life didn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, as she was pretty certain once she accomplished her ultimate goal, death would be right around the corner.

"...we'll fix as much as we can. Starting with the most important things, regardless of price, and then work down to the smaller things. I'll see if I can pick up a few extra hauling jobs to give us a buffer."

Not really keen on it, but seeing little choice in the matter, Ceres handed him her datapad. It contained access to all of her monetary credits, as well as a list of her tradeable goods stashed away in storage. So wrapped up in her plotting for this trip and where she was going to find more business, she didn't think about any personal information he'd might be able to snoop out through it.

There definitely wasn't enough to completely refurbish the ship without emptying out everything she had, but at least it would be ready to fly.

Taking a deep breath to bolster herself up, she made a small gesture for him to follow her. She was captain of this mission after all!

• This Gives Me Plot Bunnies
Reactions: Peregrine
So, no exact price, then. Callum had to bite the inside of his lip to keep his face expressionless and words trapped down his throat. He knew he was a slave, and that he had no right to expect her to tell him anything. But, before his parents had gone into debt, they had been a small but successful merchant family. He may not like her, may not like this entire irrational situation, but he loved the Starfield. And he would do anything to make sure she stayed in good shape.

Once he was sure his emotions were under control, Callum followed after Ceres and began to speak. "Okay... Our first priority is an antimatter cube, unless you were planning to run local hauling trips. We may be able to warp once more on what's left in that cube, but it's doubtful that would get us far enough to make any real profit on regional purchases. Worst case it leaves us stranded out in deep space and the bas... they stripped out her harvesters, so there's no chance of us naturally gathering more."

One of the beautiful things about deep space vessels was they were designed to be almost self-sufficient. Left unmoving for a few months, it could gather enough antimatter and ion fuel for a short distance warp. Assuming it had functioning harvesters, that was. Harvesters they were currently completely missing.

"Second priority is an updated spaceshield. I don't know much about the chip they put in to replace her old one, but let's be fair, it's probably a piece of sh... junk. One incorrect calculation and we might have a hull rupture. It's going to be an expensive purchase, especially here, but no amount of good piloting can compensate for that.

"Last two are cheaper. We need a water resupply. We'd get enough drinking water for ourselves from condensation during the gas exchange, but the garden will need more. Finally, I really recommend a new electromagnetic bloc for the shield and gravity generation. Malfunctioning gravity in deep space could damage our cargo, and it's a simple fix."

Taking a deep breath, Callum could only pray that his new lady boss not only took his concerns seriously, but had the money to pay for the updates. Otherwise, he really may end up tied to his ship in life and death.

"I'll work up a prioritized list of the other fixes that we need to get her running reliably again. ...Later."

• Love
Reactions: Diana
Ceres barely understood what most of that meant - meaning she had to trust that he had the best intentions for the ship he was physically bound to. Hoping he wouldn't want to cheat her or get her stranded somewhere broke and abandoned. As honestly, she couldn't fathom what would keep him tethered to her once the ship was fixed proper. She might have bought the ship and him along with it, but what could she do if he decided to try and stab her in night and take off! Wave her deed of ownership around as she screamed to death?

This entire situation was insane. She was insane. Ceres might as well keep riding the crazy train and perhaps it would all fall into place.

"That sounds reasonable. We will do our best," she responded as confidently as possible. At least if she took care of him, he wouldn't be as likely to leave her in a backwoods planet somewhere!

Off the ship, Ceres' first stop was to talk with the docking manager to make sure the Starfield would be safe and secure in their absence. It also doubled as an opportunity to get a little information. Where to get the best deals in the Bazaar (keeping in mind, she knew damn well locals liked to steer people towards expensive tourist traps), as well as where she might hit up to look for hauling cargo work. There were always a variety of places both legal and... not so legal. Ceres didn't plan on being too picky, as long as it paid well.

Once they were headed on their way to the Bazaar, a lot of her boosted confidence tapered a bit. The good news was that she looked the part - she didn't seem to stand out in the crowds of busy people. The trouble came in that she wasn't so used to such large crowds of people! This was an actual busy space port and not just some shady underground watering hole for equally as shady criminals. Not that she felt comfortable there either, but at least there weren't quite so many bodies bustling around.

How was she supposed to find anything.

Stopping on the street, Ceres put her hands to her hips and did her best impression of a bossy foreman. A lot of this mission hinged on how well she could bullshit her way through it, and there was no better time to practice than now.

"...okay. I want you to take my datapad and purchase everything we need. Everything. Mind you, leave enough we can live off of. I'm going to see how many jobs I can cram into the cargo hold. We can meet back here."

• Nice Execution!
Callum followed behind Ceres like a quiet ghost, and everyone she spoke to treated him thusly. His lady-owner seemed unfamiliar with the slave crest that was emblazoned on his cheek, still clearly visible even under the faint, pale scruff he had developed over the past couple days, but the people who spent their time on a port as active as Cortinas Station would never mistake what it meant. The microscopic explosives mixed into the ink left his life in the hands of the slave contract. There was no point dealing with him when they could deal with his master instead.

When Ceres finally came to a halt in the middle of a crowded street, Callum halted as well, his hands tucked conservatively behind his back. However, at her words, his brow couldn't help but twitch slightly.

There it was, leaving the work to him. The burst of frustration at her leaving things all on him was quickly replaced by a faint sense of relief and surprise. Ceres might be the new owner of the Starfield, but the ship's care was still in his hands. Now, there was no risk Ceres' ignorance would lead to some sort of mistake. He'd run more than enough resupply trips, both with his parents and on his own, to know the ins and outs of almost everything on the ship. Prices also couldn't have changed that much in the few months he'd been planet-side while waiting for someone gullible enough to buy an unverified ship off the black market.

And... she trusted him. Perhaps out of necessity, perhaps out of laziness, but she did trust him. And when it came to the Starfield, he'd never let her down.

Watching her stand with her hands stiff by her side and her chin tilted slightly upwards, Callum bowed his head with apparent obedience. He wouldn't contradict her act.

"Many of the supplies will need to be delivered directly to the ship to keep them pure. We can reconvene there... if you would prefer... ma'am."

• Love
Her nose scrunched up at the term ma'am.

"..Captain," she tested the word. "Maybe just call me Captain Ceres."

That didn't feel quite right even as she said it, but for the sake of this mission, that was essentially her role now, wasn't it? Whether she wanted it or not! It'd be a far better title than being called ma'am all the time anyway. Made her feel like one of those fancy city planet people that used three different forks for their meals.

Callum had her datapad in hand, thus everything he needed and meeting back at the ship directly sounded like a good plan. She was free to go about getting them some business - except Ceres found herself hesitating to move.

After a beat and a slow breath (maybe even a slight anxious twitch at the corner of her mouth), she turned and marched off to leave him to his job and for her to start hers. It likely seemed like she was worried he'd take off with all of her money - okay she was a little concerned that was possible, but that was on the bottom of her list of problems!

With the cost of the ship repairs eating up the entirety of her budget and the supplies she'd need to support two whole people, Ceres was going to need not just a full hold of cargo to transport, but passengers as well. Preferably the sorts that didn't ask questions and didn't like questions asked. That paid up front in full to be sure it happened. She'd figured out how to weasel herself into outlaw spaces (just sound like you know what you're doing, and look the part) but that didn't make it any easier negotiating shady deals.

What she really needed was a gun. That was the first thing she'd need to purchase, on the off chance that one of these deals went wildly sideways.

She prayed things went smoothly for Callum. She couldn't afford them not to!

• Spicy
"Of course. Captain." The word was sour on his tongue. Callum might have only been a captain himself for a short time, but it was another reminder of his change of status. From free tradesman with his own ship to a slave pilot serving an unknown mistress who didn't seem to know the first thing about space faring. It was enough to make his stomach turn all over again.

Fortunately, Ceres turned and marched away before there was any chance for her to see Callum's slightly warped expression. The grey-haired man turned away as well, striding through the busy street at a quick clip until he found a slightly more deserted market stall. Only then did he tuck the data pad into his jacket, slumping against a set of display shelves and half burying his face in his hands.

Massaging his temples, Callum recalled the number displayed on the data pad, and the checklist of all the repairs needed to get Starfield back in working order. His initial prediction had been correct. There was no way they had enough for full repairs. Hell, Callum wasn't even sure they had enough for the critical repairs unless he managed to find several once-in-a-year deals.

"The 'ell you doing?"

Callum's head shot up, immediately catching sight of a thin, seedy looking man with a missing front tooth and a robotic prosthetic below his right elbow. A tag emblazoned with the name 'Rarl' was pinned to his chest. As Callum looked over, the man's expression twisted from frustration to disgust. "You 'ere to buy something, slave?"

Wordlessly, Callum shook his head.

The shopkeepr sneered, making a fist with his robotic arm and waving it threateningly. "Then get the 'ell out of 'ere and stop dirtying my merchandise!"

Convinced that the man would, in fact, sock him solidly in the jaw if he didn't move immediately, Callum ducked his head and scampered out of the store. "No wonder you don't have shit for business," he spat under his breath, before sighing and shaking his head.

As if this wasn't already hard enough, Callum had forgotten how much most people looked down on slaves. Regardless of how he'd earned the crest stamped on his face, it invalidated not only all his previous experience, but even his humanity in most people's eyes. Who would be willing to negotiate with a slave? If he didn't play their game, they could just drive him out, no consequences. Who wouldn't want to take advantage of such easy prey?

It was just then that his eyes were caught by flashing neon lights, still brightly projecting their words out even in the middle of the day. 'Antimatter stone gambling'. Callum's eyes lit up. Perhaps... perhaps he could just turn people looking down on him to his advantage.

• Nice Execution!
Ceres wandered her way down the pier city streets, not truly aimless but with her eyes keen on watching the comings and goings of everyone she passed. Who entered which buildings. Who lingered at street stalls. Who watched her just as keenly and who didn't even give her a second thought.

There was a benefit to being born a nobody, growing up in a mining town of nobodies, and still being a nobody. Ceres blended in as just another star hopper, looking to resupply or find some temporary entertainment to keep her occupied while she was stuck in port. One could never see her and think oh, that is an assassin. Despite how she sometimes felt someone could see the harsh look of determination behind her eyes.

The entire process took about an hour - frustrating because now she was worried about how long she could leave her pilot on his own - but well worth the time spent prowling the streets. She'd bought herself a drink at one stall, and a fried spiced meat roll at another so it didn't seem like she was casing the place. Most of the street vendors were legit sellers, but here and there she could see a runner; someone who collected up particularly special means of payment or trade from those in-the-know, and then zipped off to take it for fencing. Once she'd clocked them, Ceres casually trailed behind, not making herself obvious. Winding through a few small streets, then into narrow alleys until they disappeared down a rather inconspicuous set of stairs heading into the underground.

Ceres found herself walking through an old sonic railway system, now defunct and covered in centuries worth of graffiti and decaying repairs. Bioluminescent fungus climbed the walls and ceiling to give an eerie neon rainbow glow. Much like the streets above, there were many species of people down here too, though in a more shifty, clandestine vibe. A small group were circled around a large hookah, smoking up and sending tendrils of spicy scents into the tunnel. Freelance companions scantily clad in soft leathers - ones that worked outside the control of guilds and law - tried to catch her attention with winks and beckoning fingers.

As she continued, the tunnel system turned off into a big open area, lined with grimey black market stalls filled with stolen tech, smuggled goods, illegal creatures and even an auction block for the underground slave market. If it weren't completely disgusting, Ceres might've been impressed with just how large the market had grown without getting busted up by local authorities. Whatever syndicate that worked in this sector must've had their hands deep into the pockets of the government.

With weapons being her main priority, Ceres searched the stalls until she found one covered with heavy tarps and netting. Even getting close to the small flap of an entrance, she could feel the tingle of energy fire raising the hairs on her arms and hear the faint pew pew and bzzzztBAP somewhere deep back inside. On entering she found herself face to face with a six armed alien with a cheeky little nametag that said Greetings! I am Umbenga.

"Ah, a sheka. Come, come inside! I have wares. You seek, aah aah, let me guess," he paused, eyeing her up and down with huge watery black eyes. "Poisons!"

"Guns," corrected Ceres, with a ghost of a smile. "A personal weapon and a long range. With replacement fuel cells and self charging."

"Aah, aah, a sheka that knows what it wants," he chortled, beckoning one of his middle arms towards a corner where, to her surprised, a long lanky tree looking thing suddenly shifted to twice her height and disappeared behind a curtain of beads. It returned shortly baring an armful of cases to drop heavily on the curators desk with a THUMP.

The six armed creature made quick work of opening up all the cases. The smaller ones contain a wide arranged of different pistols and guns, from bullet shooters to laser beams. The larger cases revealed a pair of long range snipers with high tech sights on them. Ceres perused them carefully, picking up one here and there to test the weight in her hands - aiming at a shelf and checking to see how it felt.

"Most of these are damaged. This one has a microcrack and is liable to explode on me," she mentioned, gesturing with the gun.

"Eeh, the price of buying used goods, sheka. This sort of finery not easy to come by in today's, aaah, dangerous market." explained Umbenga with a shrug of his meaty shoulders.

"Hmn. I'll take two of the Oerho pistols and that big sniper, but I'm not p-"

Bwiiiiingop~!

The charging of a high energy rifle behind Ceres cut her off and the barrel of something poked her in the back. These sorts of things weren't unexpected, but her heart jumped into her throat anyway. She prayed they didn't know humans well enough to notice that the color had drained out of her face. At least she'd kept her composure and her breathing even, as she rose her hands slowly into the air.

"I don't have the money on me," she warned. "A bit of a waste to shoot me."

"Aah, but sheka like you catch a nice price on the auction, more than the price of these guns, yes. Well worth." chortled, the alien. There was another nudge at her back and when she looked over her shoulder, she found thier third companion was a furry looking mutt with a pug nose and a body thick enough to crush through walls.

"Worth the price of a whole shipment of guns, though?" she rejoined, finding her voice a little higher pitched than she would have liked, but at least not sounding as if she were about to jump out of her boots. "I own a ship, legal papers and all. Not a single mark against her."

This seem to pique Umbenga's curiosity and leaned in over his desktop covered in gun cases. "Eeh then, is that so? Such a claim sounds convenient."

Ceres herself shrugged her shoulders. "Just so happens I am looking to haul cargo from the sorts that don't like asking a lot of questions. If it pays well enough. Give me the guns I need, and I'll load you up on a discount. Tell a couple friends they got twenty four hours to load my ship and I'll give the same. First timers discount."

Umbenga sat back, seeming to give this a deep amount of consideration. Ceres waited with baited breath, running through what she would do if she'd trusted too much in acting cocky and this all blew up in her face. If she ended up dragged off to the auctions, how long before the pilot figured out something happened to her? Could he even come get her? Would he? The man would be better off leaving with the ship and never looking back.

"The cut of your sack must be great boldness indeed to walk in unknown. I accept. But Umbenga is a fool to no one - I send a man. You take my man and my shipment, you get the guns and a percentage. A miniscule percentage."

The energy weapon poking her in the back charged down and disappeared, allowing Ceres the ability to breathe again. She nodded firmly and together they quickly went over the instructions for the shipment. Where her ship was waiting to be loaded, the details of where the delivery would be made. She wasn't keen on the thug that would be the accompanying passenger, but she was an unknown. She understood they didn't want to trust her with smuggled cargo without verifying she could be trusted.

Ceres couldn't have escaped out of the underground fast enough. Once she was top-side and her beating heart had returned to a steady rhythm, she found herself elated and overjoyed. One step closer to her mission.

Now hopefully her pilot was having just as good of luck.