A Song of Fire and Ice/Game of Thrones RP

Which of the settings would you be most interested in?

• The Age of the Hundred Kingdoms

• The Faith Militant uprising

• One of the Blackfyre Rebellions

• The Dance of the Dragons

• Robert's Rebellion

• War of the Five Kings

• I have actually another idea/suggestion!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerontis

"Teddy Bears never forget."
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
Posting Speed
  1. 1-3 posts per day
  2. One post per day
  3. 1-3 posts per week
  4. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
A lot. Can't really pick a few out as it depends on the lore etc. etc. etc.
World_Epic_Battle_Victory-1024x410.jpg

The title says it all. I am interested to set up and organise an RP that is based on the fantasy world of A Song of Ice and Fire. Perhaps more popular as 'Game of Thrones'. I will state right away that I intend to make an AU (Alternative Universe), with perhaps some influence of some (past) canon characters and history that is already established by the canon lore. If we do lean towards a plot setting that requires us to use some canon characters, it will most likely be just characters that will only briefly appear on the stage and just being more of a background force and influence. But allow me first to introduce myself:

My name is Gerontis. Most of my friends and people who I have written and interacted with using the shorter name of Gero and I am quite okay with that. I have GM'd various RPs and aim to be flexible and interested in the plots of every individual. Often trying to make certain that, however, that it won't become too confusing all together with a large group of people plotting against or with each other. If you join this or my other RP, then you might find that I am usually quite eager to write with new people. I am both capable of allowing somebody to take the reins for a short time, during a plot or event, than to be on everything and thus giving the idea that there is no sense of freedom in the RP.
I will have to state that I absolutely don't care for your writing style. I consider myself below average. One of the reasons might be because English isn't my first language but I consider it more that I perhaps haven't paid as much attention as I should have in class. That having said, I don't like it when people who try to write at their best being berated or just mocked. I accept everybody of any writing skill and am more than eager to provide some help or tip - same counts for receiving them, almost forgot to state that. Roleplaying is for me more about the joy of making an interesting story, characters and events together than to hold a contest of who writes the best in a group.

Now, that having said, let us move on to the part that you likely are more interested in. What kind of plot do I have in mind for such a setting? Actually, I can think of several and instead of deciding on which one I, myself, find the most appealing I wish to see if there can't be a collective voting on what plot and thus what region will be used and explored first. Region? Oh yes, I do intend to start in a smaller region of Westeros instead of just allowing everybody to roam or be present in all corners of the world. Why? Cause I have learned that with a large open roleplay where players can have characters of many different social statuses and vocations, that it can become a mess and usually one region will be prime in activity. My intention is thus to focus at first for just one or two houses. If there are enough people interested and active, I will be lenient to increase the amount and the area. Neither am I really interested to just follow the canon history by the letter as it would be more fun to make our own turns and routes than to just see ourselves locked in a story that we can't impact. After all, it would be incredibly sad and frustrating to see your character becoming this influential factor and only needing to die because side A won the war and side B was crushed.

Anyways, some of the settings I wish to present. These examples would perhaps give a clearer image of how I desire to make the Roleplay take place in a certain timeline.

• The Age of the Hundred Kingdoms
    Game-of-Thrones-Ascent-Facebook-36.jpg

This plot is set before Aegon the Conqueror set sail and unites the majority of the continent with fire, blood and steel. The region will be focused on one or two large houses, where the smaller houses struggle and vie for political influence and control. A good example of how this could be would be the Game of Thrones Tell Tale Games. Players can serve or be part of a house and need to work, plot and fight for the survival of their house or see it becoming the mere property of a rival's house. The interesting part of this plot is that it could be anywhere in Westeros. If it would be, for example, in the North then that meant that the Wall and the Nightwatch would be closer and more pressing. If it would be in the Stormlands, it could have the clear threat of the Reach or Dorne and we can continue on like that.

• The Faith Militant uprising
    800px-Sept_of_Remembrance.jpg

This plot is set around the Faith Militant uprising. The Faith is enraged by the action of King Anerys marrying his eldest son and daughter to each other. An uprising is led against the Targaryens that is so large that Anerys isn't able to deal with. The conflict lasted for seven years and it would be perhaps interesting as not only for dragons being used to burn down septs but also for various noble houses would rise against the crown. Either for siding with the high sept for pious or political reasonings. In this plot, the characters of the players and their house(s) will have to decide whom they side with and how to deal with the threat of consequences of their decision.

• Robert's Rebellion/ War of the Usurper.
    800px-Roberts_Rebellion.jpg

The rebellion of Robert Baratheon the Usurper. The rebellion was aimed against House Targaryen and would result in their demise. A setting that perhaps many that are a fan of the canon lore are quite familiar with. In this setting, the player characters and houses will be most likely located in the areas where most of the struggle took place. Think of the Riverlands and such, where many of the battles and skirmishes took place.

Those are the settings that I figure are the best to form a base for the RP. Now that you have read that, we aren't entirely done. The thing is that I want to explain how I want to build and organise this RP. I find organising an RP vital for its survival and how much enjoyment can be shared by the entire group.

Let us start with the social classes. The kingdom(s) of Westeros is a feudal society. This means in a quick and short-term that the government isn't a centralised might that we perhaps know or experience as today. Kings delegate some ruling towards higher lords. Higher lords reign over their own land with various lower lords doing the same as what the higher lords do for their ruler. Peasants. or called smallfolk, are being ruled over by a system of fealty and sworn oaths. In this system, each man owes a military service to their lord in return for protection, working the land and etc. It isn't a just system as there has ( and will be in the story, I imagine) many who abuse those who are sworn to them.
Why am I explaining this? Simple. Cause I desire to make it absolutely clear that some characters will have it harder or easier than others. Even though I am okay with bending the rules and lore a bit, they are also what give structure. A character that has origins of a simple farmer wouldn't hold as much influence as the heir of a lord or house among the nobility. For the Roleplay to be interesting and flourishing, this means thus that characters to have a clear vocation. What I am hoping to see and build is that within a House there will be interaction among characters. When somebody, for example, has a noble ser that desires a new sword, then they should go to the character that is a blacksmith. And if there is no large demand, perhaps it can be that the respective blacksmith is a known person for their noble house - being more of a friend due to their services over the years or etc.

I hope that I did clear most out. If there are any questions or ideas then feel free to comment, pm me or even add me on skype: Gerontis2 - if you do happen to add me on skype, please do notify this either over Iwaku PM or at the skype friend invite. We don't want to make me grow paranoid, after all. Anyways, I will try to answer questions, ideas and requests as soon as possible.

Thanks for your time to read this thread. Hope to see you becoming part of this (potential) Roleplay!

• Love
Reactions: Banana-senpai
Color me interested- I would love to play as a Westrosi mage or dragon-rider in an age gone by.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gerontis
Interested as well.

I would love to play as a Westrosi mage or dragon-rider in an age gone by.
Great that you're interested. I will have to state that while in various settings in which dragons are prominent, that I will be limiting them. I think it would ruin the rarity and fun if everybody could just gain or have a dragon. It also really is determined on what the setting will be. There won't be much of a dragon rider idea present in, for example, Robert's Rebellion. Though I am open for crazy and fun ideas such as a (very risky) voyage to the ruins of Valyria to uncover potentially some Valerian steel or a dragon egg.

Interested as well.
Glad to have you here onboard as well, Les. :)

Great that you're interested. I will have to state that while in various settings in which dragons are prominent, that I will be limiting them. I think it would ruin the rarity and fun if everybody could just gain or have a dragon. It also really is determined on what the setting will be. There won't be much of a dragon rider idea present in, for example, Robert's Rebellion. Though I am open for crazy and fun ideas such as a (very risky) voyage to the ruins of Valyria to uncover potentially some Valerian steel or a dragon egg.
Oh, I agree- I was mostly thinking of setting like the Hundred Kingdoms where riders weren't completely uncommon before the number of dragons started dwindling.

I forgot to add this to the interest thread as I am toying around with it myself. I found this interactive map that could perhaps be used as map reference. Only sad part is that it keeps bugging out for me whenever I move the map - either scrolling or zooming.

I'm headed home from work. So will read everything then. I love GOT so count me in. Just need to think it over

INTERESTEREEDEDEDED

• Love
I'm intrigued by the concept , I'm quite interested.^^

I've always been interested to see Robert's Rebellion done and or the Age of Hundred Kingdoms.

Interested! I think my profile pic will explain plenty about which house I wanna be from O.O

I want to be a Targaryen all the way since that and Stark are my favorite house's.. <3

@Gerontis If we did The Age of Hundred Kingdoms I think that would be a good option since no house it really truly more powerful than another really since the Conquest hasn't happened and also that isn't talked about a lot I don't think so would be more creative freedom even in an AU world. And also going to be Martell always and forever. The only kingdom that couldn't be taken down by Targaryen and Martells are where I belong XD.

Interested :)

Great to see so much interest. I already got some more interest from other folk, who reside in another RP of mine. Which makes me wonder how long I should wait before making an OOC. I will state that @zane620 as @Aliceee will be my Co-GM. we will go over some of the details.

Regarding the Targaryens, I will say that I have no big issue if there is a lot of love and interest for a particular House or family. It is bound to happen anyway that certain Houses and nobility will be more popular or interesting, due to the show or story. Or just personal preferences. I don't mind that, to be clear. However, if we do go with a setting such as 'Robert's Rebellion' or the War of Five Kings, in which the Targaryens are pretty much driven away, it will be requiring some reasoning on why a few managed to stay hidden. (Not that I mean that they can't be around. I can think of a few reasons and plots on how a few could survive and manage to stay under the radar from the rebels and those disloyal towards the Targaryens royalty. It will not, however, be a cake walk for such characters as they can never be too certain on who they can or can't trust.)

An example? Imagine that a few of the Targaryens manage to find some shelter in a small house that hasn't gained much interest or prestige. If those Targaryens aren't too noticeable (aka shouting that they are semi-resistant to fire, having ghost white hair and such), they could be smuggled into a place. It would impact (I will say impact, not strain. Really depends on a lot of factors) the possibilities how decisions can be made and it will certainly see various ambitions rise. Which might prove interesting, of course.

Outside the whole premise of the Targaryens being on the run or fearing for anybody who is done with them? Such as the Hundred Kingdoms premise? Glad you ask.
That setting could have that after the doom, the Targaryens did move to Dragonstone and such. Depending on the region where we will start the RP, the few Targaryen characters (as I sincerely hope we won't all go for a Targaryen, cause else I fear for who has the most silver of hair) can be outcasts or being people for hire - like retainers or some sort of characters that left their House in venture of gaining prestige, wealth and such elsewhere. The possibility is, however, then quite restricted. I doubt that any Targaryen would just sail all the way around the continent to seek glory or wealth in the Westerlands or the Iron Islands, for example. While I try to be lenient, I do want to keep things in a certain way linked to plots and a sense of realism that makes sense in the set world.

@Gerontis If we did The Age of Hundred Kingdoms I think that would be a good option since no house it really truly more powerful than another really since the Conquest hasn't happened and also that isn't talked about a lot I don't think so would be more creative freedom even in an AU world. And also going to be Martell always and forever. The only kingdom that couldn't be taken down by Targaryen and Martells are where I belong XD.
Teeeechnically, that is debatable. There are many factors that can be put into play in which house or realm would be more powerful than the other. Not just in sources of manpower or wealth and etc but also in what kind of leadership they have at the given moment. Many delicate factors like that can weigh in on how the balance of power shifts and turns. As for your suggestion of region, I prefer to first select a premise and then in what region we will settle the start in. :)

Don't be disheartened though. I can imagine that somebody of Dorne (or any other place) would be interested to venture out into the world. Just let us agree that we will try to have the locals be in the majority. Would be pretty amusing but also weird if we would settle in the Westerlands and House Reyne - just an example - would be filled with Targaryens and people from all over the continent, except members of House Reyne or the local area itself.

• Love
Reactions: Justin
Great to see so much interest. I already got some more interest from other folk, who reside in another RP of mine. Which makes me wonder how long I should wait before making an OOC. I will state that @zane620 as @Aliceee will be my Co-GM. we will go over some of the details.

Regarding the Targaryens, I will say that I have no big issue if there is a lot of love and interest for a particular House or family. It is bound to happen anyway that certain Houses and nobility will be more popular or interesting, due to the show or story. Or just personal preferences. I don't mind that, to be clear. However, if we do go with a setting such as 'Robert's Rebellion' or the War of Five Kings, in which the Targaryens are pretty much driven away, it will be requiring some reasoning on why a few managed to stay hidden. (Not that I mean that they can't be around. I can think of a few reasons and plots on how a few could survive and manage to stay under the radar from the rebels and those disloyal towards the Targaryens royalty. It will not, however, be a cake walk for such characters as they can never be too certain on who they can or can't trust.)

An example? Imagine that a few of the Targaryens manage to find some shelter in a small house that hasn't gained much interest or prestige. If those Targaryens aren't too noticeable (aka shouting that they are semi-resistant to fire, having ghost white hair and such), they could be smuggled into a place. It would impact (I will say impact, not strain. Really depends on a lot of factors) the possibilities how decisions can be made and it will certainly see various ambitions rise. Which might prove interesting, of course.

Outside the whole premise of the Targaryens being on the run or fearing for anybody who is done with them? Such as the Hundred Kingdoms premise? Glad you ask.
That setting could have that after the doom, the Targaryens did move to Dragonstone and such. Depending on the region where we will start the RP, the few Targaryen characters (as I sincerely hope we won't all go for a Targaryen, cause else I fear for who has the most silver of hair) can be outcasts or being people for hire - like retainers or some sort of characters that left their House in venture of gaining prestige, wealth and such elsewhere. The possibility is, however, then quite restricted. I doubt that any Targaryen would just sail all the way around the continent to seek glory or wealth in the Westerlands or the Iron Islands, for example. While I try to be lenient, I do want to keep things in a certain way linked to plots and a sense of realism that makes sense in the set world.

Teeeechnically, that is debatable. There are many factors that can be put into play in which house or realm would be more powerful than the other. Not just in sources of manpower or wealth and etc but also in what kind of leadership they have at the given moment. Many delicate factors like that can weigh in on how the balance of power shifts and turns. As for your suggestion of region, I prefer to first select a premise and then in what region we will settle the start in. :)

Don't be disheartened though. I can imagine that somebody of Dorne (or any other place) would be interested to venture out into the world. Just let us agree that we will try to have the locals be in the majority. Would be pretty amusing but also weird if we would settle in the Westerlands and House Reyne - just an example - would be filled with Targaryens and people from all over the continent, except members of House Reyne or the local area itself.
Okay cool and I love all the detail, shows me that you know your stuff XD. So yeah. I hope it's The Stormlands that people pick but if not, I can always make some idea of how my Dornish Martell left and why he or she left to The North etc or wherever this is placed at. Depending on the premise. I say The War of Hundred Kingdoms but see how it goes.

Definitely wanting to be a Targaryen! As Gero already knows.

Also my vote lies in War of the Five Kings!

Okay cool and I love all the detail, shows me that you know your stuff XD. So yeah. I hope it's The Stormlands that people pick but if not, I can always make some idea of how my Dornish Martell left and why he or she left to The North etc or wherever this is placed at. Depending on the premise. I say The War of Hundred Kingdoms but see how it goes.
Glad you do! :)
Aye. But things can go in a lot of directions. Seeing that I consider this gathered gang plus a few others who haven't stated their interest here but through other mediums, I will work on an OOC and have it up around coming Wednesday/Thursday.

I keep noticing that I do forget various things. While I am in no possible way a racist or sexist, I do have to state that this Roleplay might have various factors and morals that don't flow well with how many of us think and feel. I don't want to see or applaud heavy stuff like rape and such. I know that it isn't that uncommon in such premises and such but I don't think we need to burden ourselves or characters too much with that. That and while I won't stop anybody from having a female character trying to develop martial expertise or skills, it will be frowned upon by many - and I hope that not everybody will just accept it. Conflict in small or large form can be interesting. This will also be reflected in political intrigues. Women can strive to be equal to men but in general, will have it harder. Not just cause I desire to be 100% following the books and rules of a medieval society but more so because it will be both interesting to write and read about characters struggling with that. It might have to do with my slight frustration that many people seem to harbour the idea that somebody is evil or cruel because their actions don't fit in with their 'modern' viewpoint.
What many leaders of the past did to become revered has led to many criticisms of those who live in the present. I just want to clear out that if one character will frown or ridicule (now and then, at least) how a woman is trying to become some knight or warrior, that we should be okay with that. It fits the premise of the society of the roleplay and I hardly believe that one writer is out to harass another through character interaction. (If that is the case and it becomes noticeable for me, then I will kick the person and report them to the admins.

I should now head to bed but I want to state that in advance to mark it even more clear on that this roleplay will have various rules that we got to respect and value, to get a good immersion and authentic experience, so to say.

• Love
Reactions: Justin
Status
Not open for further replies.