A small group + GM Fantasy life idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Taureine

Original poster
Well met, adventurer.

While yours truly is very much mostly out of commission for the next week or so, a certain idea sprung on me and wouldn't let me go. As such, I will be testing the waters for a future project of mine. Please keep in mind that this will most likely be long term, and that if anything should get out of my idea, it wouldn't be for a week or more from today.

Now! For the pitch!

Do you like Medieval Fantasy?
Are you the type that enjoys a healthy mix of excitement and immersion?
Would you like to experience something between a sandbox and a storybook?
If you answered yes to the above, RE:Life could be the roleplay for you!

In RE:Life, you will create a life from scratch in a world full of both perils and wonders. Starting as a newborn soul given life for the first time, you will grow your character through many adventures and opportunities. At first born of a small clan with very little culture or history, you will collaborate with your fellow clansmen and clanswomen in order to make a community that is truly your own.

Defeat great beasts and conquer the untamed wild as an adventurer, or take care of your fellows and make a name for yourself among the newborn clans of mankind. Don't feel like doing something? Then don't do it! That you prefer battles to crafting or trading to exploring, you will have your place and purpose in this world as long as you fully explore your options!

As each character is given a family and various acquaintanceship, the ability to interact with your fellow roleplayers will be only growing as time goes on. Develop your character through various quests and events available to you by the GM to gain not only the satisfaction of a job well done but also various bonuses available to both your character and his or her community as a whole.

The world is your oyster!

For any questions or comments, feel free to either post below or send me a PM directly, thank you!

As each character is given a family and various acquaintanceship,
Hmm... does this mean that each character's backstory will be supplied by you, the GM, as opposed to being something that the players create?

Sounds an interesting idea. Count me in :) .

Well, I'm currently picking up RPs with simpler applications.

Lots of questions, but we need to build some ground first.

I always like calling dibs on the steampunk civilisation/lost technology kind of characters when I play Fantasy characters.

Hmm... does this mean that each character's backstory will be supplied by you, the GM, as opposed to being something that the players create?
No, this is more of a; you know this one and that one and are part of the -------- family. Have fun fleshing the reasons out! - type of thing.

No, this is more of a; you know this one and that one and are part of the -------- family. Have fun fleshing the reasons out! - type of thing.
So... part of each character's backstory is supplied by the GM? And we flesh out the details, but you still give us the framework to start with?

Just want to make sure I understand what you're saying.

So... part of each character's backstory is supplied by the GM? And we flesh out the details, but you still give us the framework to start with?

Just want to make sure I understand what you're saying.
I plan to only give the bare minimum framework, yes. It's mainly so that everyone gets a reason to interact with at least a few other characters without a ton of 'new to town and meeting new people' scenes happening at the start of this thing.

In short, the level of closeness to each character on your 'list' is up to you and the others directly involved - knowing a character don't make your character automatically their buddy, you do get to choose what they are to each others.

• Useful
Reactions: Kagayours
Would love to join :)

I'll most likely post a group planning thread to discuss what everyone wants/expect from this idea sometimes next week, so feel free to keep tab on this thread if you're interested so I can post the link.

How fantasy-y are you planning on this being? Like will there be magic or non-human races to play as?
How would you handle a situation where most of the player characters are doing different jobs/aspects and therefore aren't really interacting outside of being family or trading, it seems like that sort of stuff can only go so far? Will there be periodic "events" or "story quests" that require help from everyone to prevent stagnation or people breaking off into pairs and not interacting with anyone else outside the mini group? What sort of quests would be available for a character who is only a trader or crafter?

Reactions: Taureine
Interested as well. I'll likely have some questions when the OOC comes out; I'll stay tuned until then.

Reactions: Taureine
How fantasy-y are you planning on this being? Like will there be magic or non-human races to play as?
How would you handle a situation where most of the player characters are doing different jobs/aspects and therefore aren't really interacting outside of being family or trading, it seems like that sort of stuff can only go so far? Will there be periodic "events" or "story quests" that require help from everyone to prevent stagnation or people breaking off into pairs and not interacting with anyone else outside the mini group? What sort of quests would be available for a character who is only a trader or crafter?
I'll break this up into three parts, so that everything is answered properly. Alright, first up is...

About the setting, magic and races: I'm planning to do a planning thread soon that will handle those issues so I can get a decent grasp of what type of world everyone would want for this project. Since this is something I will take my time doing, there will be quite a bit of leeway for you guys to suggest or ask for various features or elements for the world you will be exploring.

About the matter of splitting up and lack of interactions: Yes, I plan for story arcs and events centered around the characters' community. Since everyone will have their character in the same area, roleplay-wide quests will often appear to keep everyone involved.

About what you can do without fighting or adventuring: One of my inspirations for this was actually the likes of Harvest Moon, in that the focus of the roleplay will be how the character will change and be changed by their environment. In a way, all types of characters will depend on one another for things, as you can't have a bunch of mary-sues running around. A trader? You need trading routes through increasingly dangerous environment, and for that you need adventurers to find new territories and for warriors to act as caravan guards. Crafters also need raw materials brought back from hunting or travelling and an access to secure sources to buy and sell what they need to craft and keep on living a comfortable life.

Does that answer your questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.