A Sin of No Name

"Well mornin' to you too," Lincoln said gruffly, "Maybe you didnt get the memo it aint polite to smoke indoors and threaten strangers with good money."

He stared at Lincoln coldly. The man had said something interesting regarding Lincoln's type coming through town often looking for trouble. To the gunslinger it could have been a direct reference to his own prey. Mephis T. O'Fellis. A gunslinger not unlike Lincoln in someways yet starkly contrastable in others. Analyzing the figure of the man led the gunslinger to assess no easy victory would be one from a physical confrontation. Underneath the man's poncho Lincoln could hardly tell the shoulder width of the man or size of his arms. Though the man was clearly looking for someone to bust his jaw Lincoln himself had no interest in a brawl. He could barely manage to stand the voice of the man much less a rumble. Certainly not this early in the morning anyway. The man began walking to Lincoln and then with the gaul of a green-hand drew his weapon on a man no less than five feet from him without any provocation. As the man's hand raised the pistol to his head he could spot a silver star on the mans chest. Though certainly Lincoln had allowed it to happen, here yet again a random citizen greets a freshly opened door with a gun. 'If only the priest were here', He thought to himself, 'Or maybe the secretary will come save me now.' Without malice but visibly annoyed the gunslinger let his saddlebags slide off his shoulder to crumble on the floor with a loud thud. Now unencumbered he straightened his posture then cocked his shoulders in. His hands didnt shoot to the pistols at his side or to the knife on his belt but rather sat idle at his sides. For a moment he seemed to be weighing his options. Lincoln's eyes shifted to the old man in the back before they darted back to the lawman. His next move was slow and deliberate without a cautious thought. He raised his right hand to the assailing man's pistol then wrapped his fingers around the barrel and spoke again with a passion.

"Aint nobody running from jack, Jack..." Lincoln growled through a forced smile, "I've had three people draw their guns in the short scope of about two hours in this town. By rights I had cause to gun down th'first one but then the next drew on me for saving her life and that of others. But now I got some uppity deputy telling me what I ought to be doing with his gun on my head? Telling me I aint up to no good? Boy, you lookin' like the devil himself with that sober countenance, but you calling me trouble? Corrupted lawman with a gun, pshaw. T'ain't what I was raised to tolerate, son."

Lincoln shuffled forward an inch or two as he emphasized the word Uppity. No more than that few inches. Just enough however to achieve his desired goal. The slight movement pressed the barrel of the gun deeper into Lincoln's head. The southerner bared his wide frame against the other man's intent on intimidating or at least mimicking the other man's posture. Upon secondary inspection of the man's figure Lincoln could see now that he probably weighed more than the man. If not by sheer mass then certainly Lincoln's well fed physique stood to challenge Garrett's. When Lincoln looked past the gun he found the man's eyes hiding behind the smoke of the cigaret. Their eyes locked across the barrel of the gun cocked slightly upwards. The skin of the southerner's forehead was displaced by the cool metal. The ring of the inner barrel nuzzled his forehead skin tensely and almost painfully but not quite. In his mind he focused clearly on that. That simple soothing thing that was the cool of a gun before it took a life or some time after. He could only think of such a feeling as being near divine something like that of the maker himself glancing down. He felt familiarity in it. A comfort. His eyes had lost focus as he slipped slightly into a day dream of his first months away from home back when he was a boy. The things he had seen and done in those years to follow. Though the green eyes lost focus their luster held as they blankly stared into Garrett. A moment passed silently. The next second faded to see the sharp calculating stare of the gunslinger return with ferocity renewed. With animalistic intent the green orbs darted quickly around analyzing Garrett's face. It was clear now Lincoln could jump to make his move but the odds were slight. Though the deputy had a gun to his head Lincoln knew any intent to kill couldnt be given provocation. Slight to say the least if not downright unfavorable. Deciding rather to stay planted firmly on the ground where he stood he endeavored to show off his muscular frame as he eyeballed his enemy. With his finger's still clasping the barrel firmly he pressed the man's yet uncocked pistol affixed to his forehead. Though his eyes betrayed the inner turmoil Lincoln's tongue set to work with words that came clearer this time through guise of a smile.

"If you got cause to shoot you coulda done so already..." Lincoln said with his smile held and a friendly manor, "I reckon that old man there could use whatever income I can provide but thanks to you I reckon I wont be wasting my money. So thank you kindly... Guess I'll go back and get guns pointed at me down at the Mayors office too. Speaking of such, you might wanna warn some of the town folk about a bunch of guns waiving around. One of them is likely to go off sooner or later. All kinds of mayhem running 'round here and aint much smart about threatening somebody. I mean hell most sensible people'd gun somebody down for just that. Not a deputized lawmand of course but a man who just came into town with a pair of twins on his hips... reckon maybe it's something in the water."

As he spoke his hand moved to put the flat surface of his fingers against the barrel. He gingerly pushed the barrel away from his forehead while leaning to his left. The physicality of the gunman could be felt through his gun as Lincoln's own hand was almost stopped. Lincoln exerted himself further and angled the gun to his side keeping it away from his torso. As he finished his last sentence he interrupted himself with a sharp inward breath after the word hips. He delivered the word water by tapping a curved finger to the left side of his forehead. With the implication of mental illness in the air and the Garrett's gun no longer aimed at his head Lincoln relinquished his argument. No the lawman seemed intent on one thing. The look in Lincoln's eyes did not fade as he watched the man for any sudden movements. His left boot snuck under the lip of his saddle bag before snaking itself into the middle of the strap. Lincoln raised the tip of his boot with his heel remaining on the ground as he eyeballed the lawman. In a quick motion he leaned down to scoop the saddle bags in his right hand then straightened his back to reaffix his attention on the man. Successful so far Lincoln looked at the man in front of him wearily then behind him to the inn's keeper. He threw a gratuitous eye roll to the old man with a nod to the gunman ahead of him. With a cursory glance to the man who had been threatening to paint the storefront of the in with his brains Lincoln turned around. His saddlebags were shifted on his right shoulder as he stood with the man slightly behind the same shoulder. The minute that followed was tense due to the clearly engineered nature of it. Lincoln sat there a moment staring out the window to his right feeling somewhat proud of himself for his unhinged demeanor. His intent was to tempt Garrett to move against him so Lincoln could then throw his saddlebags at the man and assail him. Even being a member of the law Lincoln knew his rights, or lack thereof. Unprovoked violence from a deputized man was a crime in the cities of home but here it wasnt anything to anybody not involved. He knew that. The murder of a lawman was however a hangable offense. Even still in light of that Lincoln could hardly stop himself. As if on autopilot he taunted the man however slightly. If only to prove to himself that this man was in fact one of O'Fellis hired help intent on moving Lincoln to some end. Or even removing Lincoln from the equation entirely. Though only a step from each other Lincoln grew weary of the gap he gave the man. Whoever killed the other first could easily coerce the old man into a story one way or the other. The odds grew steeper against him with each second passed. From the view in the window he could see the edge of the general goods store where he noticed people had been on his walk to the inn. Knowing the score could be settled later it seemed sensible to put himself around witnesses. Lincoln looked back to the man once again trying in kind to match the man's lack of emotion. Both men plain faced for different reasons. Without any acknowledgment of the inn keeper Lincoln tipped his hat to his newest rival then walked to the door. A moment later he was outside. The next moment after that he was strutting out of the stables with saddlebags no longer in tow. Trotter could be heard braying from inside the barn but his owner paid no mind as he moved down the street with a fresh white shirt on under his still dirty black cap. In the window of the inn he spotted Garret staring intently with his gun in hand. Annoyed Lincoln turned his shoulder on the man and began walking down the line of storefronts on the northern side of town.On his left he passed two buildings that seemed to be no longer occupied before he crossed in front of the towns only general store. Without much thought for those inside Lincoln peered in through the first window as he slowed his pace to crossed in front of it. Inside he spotted an older man operating a cash register behind the counter. In the center of the store stood what Lincoln assumed was a couple but what he saw next truly astounded him. Here in the store he saw the first western native he had ever laid eyes on. In the woods and swamps where he called home there were native peoples but mixed with the culture and times of the south. The west stood yet untamed by the government with many tribes holding onto their land, or so the southerner heard. Despite his predilections here stood a woman still in her ceremonial dress. Though he was impressed he could hardly remain so when he saw her face held sadness. He knew a semblance of that look. A sadness of years of suppressed emotion perhaps or even servitude. Lincoln's gaze darted to the man behind the counter assessing him briefly before restraining the obvious thought from his mind. These problems were not his own and with this town being so jumpy he refused try a first impression for a third time. He turned away from the window with his head low and made his way past the shopfront. As he passed the second window he was affronted by the reeking scent of decay. Immediately a grimace crossed his face then with his hand over his mouth he almost wretched. Looking in front of him he saw a dead horse. He recoiled away from the shopfront to lean against the building the horse sat in front of. Immediately a thought struck him. He wondered if this could be the Mexican's horse then chastised himself. Decay was not so quick to set nor was the Mexican man speaking of a carriage. Piecing together the scene ahead of him Lincoln realized this had been the post office he'd passed by earlier. How he had managed to neglect a dead horse escaped him but now standing so close he could hardly miss it.

"What in the hell is going on," Lincoln remarked as he approached the dead thing with his hand over his mouth still.

He nudged the decaying mass with his foot then thought to himself what of the accidental kindness he did his horse in sparing him the sight. Truly it was a disgusting site and smell but without a way to remove it Lincoln simply took it in. What could possess the denizens of such a place to leave it here for so long alongside a defunct carriage? Would anyone have slain the beast or natural causes? His hands moved to tightly cover his mouth as he nudged the beasts head with his boot. No visible wound around the skull. He looked over his shoulder towards the inn to see the Garrett standing there watching him. Many many questions but no answers to be found here with this carcass. Perhaps the disturbed individual from the inn was right that the Mayor's office was where he should find himself. Even moreso the analyzation that Lincoln was the sort who oozed trouble from their pores. Surely he must know who Lincoln is to aptly judge him so. He considered perhaps that the man was disturbed but rather touched by something else. 'Damn Physicians,' The gunslinger thought to himself recalling a rumor he once heard about mind readers. Leaning back away from the deceased creature he removed his boot from under it then cleared the air in front of his face with a wave. Turning to the street he began to strut across it whistling Dixie as he went. With the stench no longer filling his nostrils the gunslinger's hands had dropped into his pants pockets. Next his eyes again looked to confirm Garrett standing there. Then turned to the saloon as the scent of the dead horse was left behind him. Thinking of a drink his head bobbed along as he brought the whistle up and down, clicking his heels together then slide stepping a in tune with the longer whistles. Again he chastised himself knowing that if he got started he would likely wind up with another morning like this one. With new potential rivals in this town he certainly could afford that. With a bland twirl he finished his first set of the Dixielander's delight before beginning a second. As he repositioned his feet he spotted the barber shop on his left. Remarking to himself again how depressing it looked he seemed fixated on something as he dully continued his whistle. Soon his whistle faded as his eyes widened while a satisfied smile crept across his face. Placing a hand on his stomach and doubling over he laughed hysterically for a moment. The first spot of light in his so far very grim morning was a foolish joke he concocted in his head. He leaned backwards still laughing uproariously as he neared the steps of the mayor's office. He hoped the waiting room would be less crowded than before but knew better than to hope.

"No sense in kicking a dead horse," Lincoln chuckled to himself, "Maybe that fired up frijolito has cooled off by now... Sure that priest is probably still in there too."

@PoetLore @Red Thunder @Hamlowe @Adrian

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kuno
Charlotte frowned as the woman practically ran from her and had even become so unnerved that she'd dropped her broom. What strange behavior! Certainly there was nothing about her person that was threatening in any way at all, in fact she studied to be as unobtrusive as possible in all situations and toward all kinds of people. Her lips trembled a bit as she attempted to ward off the hurtfulness of those actions when she had only been attempting to offer friendship.

Hearing the husband's words did not take the sting of rejection from her though. Rather, it added t it in ways he could not possibly understand. Most women were quiet around men, and in truth, were trained to be so. His words meant nothing. Realizing that most women only confided in other women, she took Teresa's actions as a direct snub of her person. She could not recall a time when anyone had done so...ever and she was quite frankly shocked and insulted but moreso, she was deeply hurt.

Frank, being used to his sister's emotion instability drew in a deep breath and waited for her t start crying. She did manage to hold herself together, though he could tell it was just barely. The man was behind the cash register touting obvious lies about business being good. He waved a hand as dust flew off the thing when the man blew on it. He was only partially successful and a slight cough left his now parched throat. Hearing Samuel's assessment of his wife and nodded, "Lucky man then..nothing more appealing than a woman who knows when to keep quiet."

Charlotte scowled at her brother. She watched Teresa return and put moldy bred on the counter. Wide disbelieving eyes took in the scene as her gaze moved from the mold, to the man, to his wife and then to Frank. So shocked was she that words escaped her completely.

Frank grinned even more and watched the woman come back in and set the things on the counter. He looked at them and then at Charlotte, "How are you feeling about the tavern now?" he asked as he pulled a few coins from his pocket. "I think we'll be moseying on our way now. We came looking for work and a fresh start...but that coffee will come in right handy for now. Thank you kindly." He grabbed the coffee dropping more than enough coin to pay on the counter as he wrapped large fingers around his sister's arm and ushered her to the door. "Pleasure meeting you both. Have a good day now.."

Once outside he kept a brisk pace fairly dragging his sister along as his long legs distanced them from the mercantile as quickly as possible."Something strange is going on here Charlotte..." He saw a bunch of people coming and going. Some looked rough, others strange. He was starting to think all the strange people were locals. He stopped though and noticed that everyone seemed to be converging on the mayor's office. "Wonder what's going on in there?"

Charlotte was glad he stopped. She was almost running to keep up with his pace and was completely out of breath. "What?" she asked confused and turning to see where he was looking, also noting the men and their guns and their ungentlemanly comportment. "Probably going to find work...it's why were came...likely others have too."

The wry curl of his lips was all the indication he gave of his reaction to those words. Every so often she said something that actually made sense and it always tickled him. He saw another man making his way toward the stairs in front of the mayor's office and frowned deeply as he hauled her up and started in that direction as well. "Breakfast can wait then...Don't want someone stealing my job..."

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Ardent and Kuno
Eczar

UNREST IN THE WEST
ASSORTED CHARACTERS | NPC

The door to the mayor's office swung open just then, floorboards creaking with the heavy footfalls of a young man. He possessed a congenial temperament and a presence that had a way of taking a room and shaking its hand. A smile broke out across his face.

"Well!" He exclaimed, eyes roving about the faces around him indiscriminately. "My, my, my. We've got quite the turn-out this morning, don't we now, Adelaide?"

The secretary lowered her rifle. Her features relaxed into an automatic smile, all trace of prior hostility wiped out as if it hadn't been there in the first place.

"Yes, Mr. Mayor," she responded.

"Yes sir, I do believe we're in for a spell of trouble today. Why, I haven't seen so many new faces in quite some time. Isn't that right, Adelaide?"

"Yes, Mr. Mayor."

"And looky here!" At once, his focus shifted to the blanketed guest sleeping in the corner, and his voice grew louder as he approached them. "I see our sheriff here is hard at work protecting the innocents."

The sheriff simply snored in response, but a kick on the shin--courtesy of the mayor--quickly roused him. A sliver of drool hung about his lower lip as he blinked the sleep from his eyes. At once, he recognized the mayor and hastily pushed himself up from his chair, the blankets cascading down his legs and falling forgotten about his feet.

The sheriff* nearly rivaled Mr. Wicks in size. But unlike Mr. Wicks, his demeanor was kind and open, though his eyes were bleary with either a lack of sleep, or too much of it.

"Well, a man's gotta work after a long night of…" He paused, eyes flicking to the secretary momentarily, "...Hard work."

"Hard work, huh. I see." The mayor faced the newcomers once more, his grin as wide as ever. It seemed almost impossible to upset him.

"So! I assume you're all here to answer the advertisement I put out?" Briggs asked, "How'd ya'll like to go for a ride along? Don't particularly need good shooters, just a good show of force. Ladies included." At this, he winked at Charlotte. "You can make good coin while you're at it."

(*Note: characters that have been in Highland since the previous night should observe that this man is not the same as Elijah Cotting, the previous sheriff.)

@Red Thunder
@HellHoundWoof
@Hamlowe
@PoetLore

Fr McCarthy Avatar.jpg

Prophecy was never a gift Father McCarthy had possessed, professed to possess, or desired to possess. He was therefore quite surprised when the mayor entered scarcely a minute after his idle statement. The Good Lord had a sense of humor.

Mentally filing away the young lady's name, he listened to the mayor's obviously pre-hashed rhetorical questions. It reminded him too much of Monsignor Kelly from the seminary, whose penchant for similarly inane non-questions in lecturing and preaching was famous to the point that seminarians kept count. The most he had counted was--wait, what?

"Sheriff?" The question came out before he could stop himself. The mayor and the alleged sheriff both ignored him. Even in his shock, though, Father still noticed the way the "sheriff" looked at Miss Adelaide, and the obvious euphemism of hard work. The priest's brow furrowed a little. Of course fornication happened, and he had seen neither of these two at Mass, but so blatant a reference to it, without a shred of remorse, disheartened him.

At the mayor's invitation, the priest shook his head. "Fergive me, but I did not come on account of the advertisement. I came to find out who had been shot last night, and if that person needs Unction or a Requiem."

Last edited:
  • Nice Execution!
Reactions: PoetLore and Kuno
Jorge
"And I came to find the bastard that took my horse in the night."

The mayor's appearance had been something of a relief to Jorge, if in fact his own apprehension at the sheriff's presence didn't dissipate in the slightest. Adelaide had put down her shotgun, and the cabrón had left, so the tension in the air was draining rapidly. Still keeping his hands slightly elevated above his belt, Jorge glanced to the secretary, heart still pounding as he eyed the gun nervously.

No, she wasn't the issue; the sheriff was. Did he recognize the bandit? Was he likely to look into the sudden presence of a Mexican transient in the town? It didn't appear so; he looked more interested in keeping the mayor happy. Best, then, to do the same.

"Señor Mayor, I'm not sure what you think I'm here for, but someone took my horse in the night." He shrugged, the corner of his mouth turning up in a half smile that wasn't quite a sneer. His thumbs hooked into his belt. "'Wicks', I think. Horse thieving gets a hanging, si?"

On the one hand, Jorge hadn't a clue where to get started in looking for the bastard thief. Therefore, the mayor's help could be very useful. On the other hand, he really didn't want to indebt himself to the mayor for helping him out, certainly not in a 'show of force' kind of repayment.

"Apologies, señor, but I'm expected East, so as soon as I find my horse again, I must be off. I can't help you with your- situación...problema...ehm, problem. Sorry.

"And to you, Padré. Sorry for suspecting."

Nodding in respect to them both, Jorge turned toward the door to leave.
@Kuno @Hamlowe

• Spicy
Reactions: PoetLore and Kuno
Test
Patua One
Alfa Slab One
GARRETT JONES

Until now, Garrett didn't think words could ever wear him out so much, until this other man started speaking. The gun trained on Lincoln's head clearly did little to faze him, if it even fazed him at all. Garrett was growing quickly bored.

"Stop talking and start walking," he drawled lazily, taking another drag of his cigarette. The other man had some sense, at least, and did as he was told. Garrett kept watch from the window until Lincoln was some distance away.

But Garrett was still bored, and this was taking too long.

Casting the cigarette to the ground and putting the fire out with his boot, he followed the older man's trail. The pistol was now holstered and unthreatening, but the Deputy's fingers remained on the cool steel, tapping an unknown rhythm. He whistled now, keeping a small distance between him and the newcomer. There was a calm, detached air around Garrett, as if the altercation from before had never happened.

When, finally, they reached the Mayor's Office, Garrett barged through the door with such force that neighbouring establishments would have heard it.

He tipped his hat to the mayor, before stepping aside to let Lincoln in. Garrett's hand tightened around the grip of his pistol in warning.

"Ladies first," He gave the man a stiff smile and gestured for him to get in. Then, turning to the mayor with a triumphant twinkle in his eyes, "Look who I found roamin' about the neighborhood looking like bad news. He's got a lot of nerve in him, alright. Looked about ready to shoot me down. I ain't got no doubts he's our killer."

Then, to the man who was about to leave: "Hold up, where do you think you're going? Nobody's leaving this town until we say you can. For all we know ya'll could be workin' together."

@Hell Hound Woof @Red Thunder @PoetLore @Hamlowe

Charlotte blushed a bit at the off color speech and the way the mayor's look seemed to shaft right through her somehow.

Frank snickered, "As long as she has no bullets in her gun she can hold one. Give her bullets....I'm taking up the rear where it's safe..."

Charlotte turned an even darker shade of red as her eyes misted over and her lips quivered. Her slightly quavering voice simpered out, "I will try to be helpful..."

Frank laughed outright at that and was about to say more when the other two men chimed in with why they had arrived. He'd heard shots but had no idea that meant someone was actually shot or injured by them. The Padre was thinking someone had died though and his brows narrowed just a hair. The way the padre was eyeing the Sheriff made him a bit nervous too though he spoke none of this. The other man had his horse stolen by night? Now if that kind of thing was going on he needed to know. They had considerable supplies with them, and two of the best horses he'd ever owned. He wasn't going to have someone thinking they were fair game for anyone who wanted to wander off with them. "Horse thief in town? That needs to be stopped now...I'll go anywhere that needs be to end that...and I'm with that guy...sorry didn't catch yer name...hanging for sure."

Charlotte had no idea what anyone was implying or insinuating or doing for that matter. She was totally confused and when the door flew open again she made a very impressive vertical leap up onto Miss Adelaide's desk grasping her hands to her chest.

Frank had taken a small step back and had his side arm drawn but slowly put it back and then held up both hands. "Sorry..reflex...."

Lincoln Hunsucker
Lincoln watched as the lawman made his way down the street in much the same path he had just made. The man was peculiar to say the least, from ornery nature to bad hygiene he made his own case in Lincoln's mind. Such a beast served purpose to some but not himself. Taking into account the strange nature of the two interactions he'd had in this town he formed an idea. Perhaps this town was being run by some escaped convicts. Having seen it done before it wouldnt be improbable. Killing the denizenry of a town only to supplant them yourselves in order to hide out while your notoriety blows over. With such a notion in mind Lincoln's eyes trailed the younger man. As he walked in the street now Lincoln could certainly manage to draw before anyone had a chance to stop him. As he watched the man barge through the door to the mayor's office he couldnt help but chuckle at the thought of such a brash action. Closing the gap between himself and the door Lincoln grew weary of what awaited him inside. Immediately inside the door he saw the hotheaded Mexican from before who seemed no worse for wear after his prolonged encounter with the secretary. Looking across the threshold Lincoln spotted the couple from the store he'd passed earlier, one of who'm had his pistol drawn. However within the next second he'd begun to holster it. The woman was now firmly planted on the secretary's desk seemingly frightened by the Lawman's abrupt opening of the door. The Lawman said something about 'ladies first' with a sewer rat's smile on his face as Lincoln stepped up to the door. Lincoln chuckled a moment as he happily obliged the man by putting one foot in the door. Before he passed the Lawman he leaned in slightly and muttered under his breath.

"You walked in first, darlin'..." He said with a curved lip as he planted his other foot inside the building scanning the room while removing his hat.

With a peaceful expression he greeted both the women in the room first, before nodding with a smile to the secretary who still held her rifle. He was pleased to see it wasnt just him she'd been worried about. Inside still sat the Mexican, the Priest and now looking to the left side of the room he spotted two new faces. One wore the same hat the slumbering sheriff had on earlier and sure enough at his feet sat the same blankets. The other seemed to stand in the center of the room with everyone ready to listen to him. Lincoln nodded to the sheriff in acknowledgement then he heard the lawman say he'd figured Lincoln for the killer. No way these townfolk had any idea of what Lincoln had done this morning, surely it must be a mistake. Something else entirely perhaps. Then he was surprised to hear the implication he might be working with the man who's life he'd threatened just minutes ago.

"I reckon you could say this ol' asinine assassin here is as likely a killer as me then," Lincoln said in a cutting yet comedic tone, "Going off of looks? Looking at him dont he just stink of murder? Besides just looking at me and the Señor here we dont exactly have compatible history to be considered partners."

Reactions: PoetLore