A Simple Free-Plot Adventure RP

Status
Not open for further replies.
where is this OOC?

If you don't use it I will.

where is this OOC?
Most likely in the works, The Jest had a small computer breakdown, which is fixed now, and I think most of the OOC survived with it. So unless something terrible happens, we will be able to join up in a cozy little place and make characters and whatnot shortly ^^

• Thank You
Reactions: Moogle-Girl
Most likely in the works, The Jest had a small computer breakdown, which is fixed now, and I think most of the OOC survived with it. So unless something terrible happens, we will be able to join up in a cozy little place and make characters and whatnot shortly ^^
ah so he got blue screen of death'd. not a issue.

ah so he got blue screen of death'd. not a issue.
In a manner of speaking yes. And I apologize for that.

I am currently working on the OOC as we speak, but it's still gonna take some time before it's done. I'd wager I'd have it done by Wednesday, Friday at maximum unless something else comes up on the blasted thing. Could be even earlier than that.

Though I'm sure everyone here understands, I would like to apologize for the delay regardless.

So, obviously it's not coming out today.

In the OOC's place, however, I should make an Update for you all:

I am ALMOST done with the OOC. The hardest part for me, believe it or not, is the backstory to it. As I have said, the main plot of the RP doesn't really matter much in this case, only as much as you all want it to.

That said, I must admit I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I can't NOT put at least a little effort into something, even something like this.

Not helped is that, sure enough, I needed to nuke hard drive stuff again, which caused a bit of a set-back needless to say. X_X

Regardless, at the rate I am going now, I should be able to make the Friday deadline. So expect the OOC done either tomorrow or the day after. ^_^

In the meantime, to keep you all busy, I'll do as Windpipe has before, and Give you all the CS to use to make your stuff.

I should let you all know three things however before I do:

First of all, I have no character limit. I myself am likely gonna use several characters during this. The only limit I have on character amount is the limit of your own mind. Don't make more characters than you feel you can handle.

Secondly, With the first in mind, it's recommended, but not mandatory, that you all create a main character for this group of protagonists.

Finally, As I mentioned before, to give creative freedom, I am allowing you to create Deities to use as you feel you need to. But, as I've also said before, there is a Hierarchy in mind, based on the level of strength within a God, and the size and/or importance of their Domain (Basically what they're the God "Of". For example: Ares is the God of War, therefore War is his Domain.) It is very much possible for a God of a lower tier to ascend, or be promoted if you will, becoming a higher class of God than before, up to the "True-God" status. Note: Demigods are a divine variable for both power and domain. Some were born with, or gained, more power than others, some could be considered High-class gods in their own right. Therefore, "Demigod" is not a tier in the Hierarchy. (The rules of the hierarchy applies to them however, so no accessing the highest two tiers, even for them.)

The Hierarchy is as Follows:

1. Low-Class God: The lowest, weakest class of Gods in the heirarchy. Some don't even consider them as Gods, as they are more akin to divine servants like Angels and the like. However, they possess a domain of which they oversee and administrate, however insignificant it is in the grand scheme of things. Therefore they are technically considered Gods. (The Muses of Greek Mythology, for Example, can be classified as Low-class Gods.)
  2. Middle-Class God: From insignificant to somewhat important, Middle-Class Gods are those who oversee the elements and concepts of society and life formed by mankind. Fire, Marriage, War, Peace, Love, Wrath, Thunder, Ice, Water, Wind, and the list goes on. A majority of gods in any Pantheon can be classified as the middle-class. They are not quite as powerful as people believe them to be, but they are still those who are worthy of godhood in their right and power, and unlike the Low-class, no one can deny that.
  3. High-Class God: As suggested by their name, the High-class Gods are the most powerful of the "Class" Gods. They are often the chief gods of their pantheons, overseeing the other gods and the world as a whole. Their domain, as a result, is usually either something of great importance, like the Sky, the Sun, or the Sea, or their domains are the pocket-celestial realms such as the Underworld/Hell or Heaven. A Grim Reaper, an Agent of Death, is also categorized as High-Class Deity. Zeus, Poseidon, Hades, the Norse' Odin, and Egypt's Ra are prominent examples of High-Class Gods.
  4. True God: An arrogant name, you say? Well good, these gods very well deserve the arrogant pride of such a title. The "True God" is the highest level of Godhood that one can ascend to. Unlike the others, their domain are the entirety of a Universe, a dimension, for they are the ones that legends state create their universe and all things within it. Unless the universe they make is monotheistic, they are more often than not the ones that gives birth to Pantheons, and the gods below them are their children. However, this is a Multiverse. As such, while they at their prime within their own universe, they are exponentially weakened when they are outside their own domain. A prominent example that come to mind is Greek's Gaia.
  5. Creator God: If a True God is the God of a Universe, than a Creator God is the God of the Multiverse. They are the first beings in their reality, and are the creators of the first universes united in a single reality. They are the first to create land, life, the foundations of the world, and relay the core principles of reality to all universes within, need they be the first ones created by them, or others created by True Gods. The Multiverse itself is their domain, and only by entering "another" Reality/Multiverse, or the darkness of Oblivion outside of existence itself, would they be weakened as a result of going outside said Domain. They are also the rarest of the Gods, as its a status no one, not even a True God, can ever ascend to, as one is simply "born" a Creator God. Possibly as a result of their rarity, the Creator Gods are hardly, if ever, worshiped by humanity; very few people are aware of a Creator God's existence, and by the god's will, it stays that way. (This tier is off-limits to all but the GMs, unless someone gives us a REALLY good idea of one to use. Bear in mind: We WILL be strict, and there is a good chance we will not accept it.)
  6. Origin: -CLASSIFIED- (This tier is COMPLETELY off-limit to all but GM use.)
Now then, The CS:

Name:
Appearance:
Species: (If you're a God, select your Tier here.)
Position/Occupation: (If you are a God, select your Domain here. (Adhere to the Heirarchy; No "Low-Class" God of Heaven))
Weapon:
Skill/Abilities/Powers: (Even for Gods, try to keep it as balanced as possible, and NO TIME/SPACE!)
Personality:
Backstory:

For the sake of both time, and suspense, the GMs are not required to fill out these CSes, unless they wish to do so. They will, however, have to explain them to us, and I to them. For the Record: I'll likely create a CS for my protagonist character and post it with the OOC.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Enjoy. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure where my 'guiding force' would sit, That being the 5 Horsemen Of the Apocalypse. Death, War, Famine And Pestilence. With the fifth Rider being Kaos. Kaos as in the originator of the void before creation, the black madness of the total nothingness. I would call them Demi-gods but they are at no gods beck and call and even gods would fear the horsemen as they are the END. But there were also there at the start but not 'part' of it. mealy there to witness it.

As for my main character....hehehe, I'ma make 2!

Soooooo.... This went from 'a simple free-plot' to serious amounts of info about god hierarchy so you can play a god.. And like maybe even play a bunch of them too?

Resist tyrant wut? Yeeeeeahhh.... Boo not interested anymore.

But good luck with RP err'body, kay? ^^

Soooooo.... This went from 'a simple free-plot' to serious amounts of info about god hierarchy so you can play a god.. And like maybe even play a bunch of them too?

.....Ok, so the DM explained this in that post, Players can HAVE a god, as a way of influencing the world, there are o'corse good and evil gods. good gods will help the characters, evil gods will hinder them. They a way of allowing players to influence the game world while giving the DM some method of stopping the players from being total dickwads to each other. IE 'my god is going to hinder the characters by creating a huge ass stone golem' "ok well my god is going to help them by dropping a huge ass meteorite on that golem." DM: And my god is going to squish both your gods for interfering to much and remove the mess they both made. now go play nice.
All the while:
Dude 1: we need to get across the chasam. Dude 2: well there's that huge ass golem in the way. Dude 3: eh that metorite will squish it. Dude 1: the fck you to talking about. lend me a hand with this grappling hook. Orks on the other side: Bloody stupid humies.

The fact we have gods to effect the storyline does not change the fact it is a simple free plot. the DM has said he is a perfectionist, this means LOTS of info. LOTS of extrenuous data. and LOTS of stuff to read and understand.

• Thank You
Reactions: The Jest
Are there gonna be gods in the central group of protagonists? Or in other words, will that be allowed/expected? Because honestly that sounds like it'd get boring fast.

Are there gonna be gods in the central group of protagonists? Or in other words, will that be allowed/expected? Because honestly that sounds like it'd get boring fast.
see my post above yours.

I'm not sure where my 'guiding force' would sit, That being the 5 Horsemen Of the Apocalypse. Death, War, Famine And Pestilence. With the fifth Rider being Kaos. Kaos as in the originator of the void before creation, the black madness of the total nothingness. I would call them Demi-gods but they are at no gods beck and call and even gods would fear the horsemen as they are the END. But there were also there at the start but not 'part' of it. mealy there to witness it.

As for my main character....hehehe, I'ma make 2!
While the 4 horsemen are fair enough. The concept is typical enough to which I believe it can be fairly played by someone. (Might have to lower their tier and date of origin a bit.)

The 5th one, however, Sounds more within the top 2 tiers. (Not to mention we actually have a Creator god by the name "Khaos" already. ...For the record: There's currently 3 Creator Gods within this Multiverse.) As such, I don't think we can allow that one to pass. My apologies. T_T

Was going to comment on it, but...I couldn't have said it better than how Eddieddi did. Thanks a lot for explaining that, Eddi. ^_^

As Eddieddi pointed out, Neither. That would be a bit of a giant leap if the protagonists have something like fire manipulation, magical power....and one of them all of a sudden becomes a God. X_X So no, none of the Protagonists would be Gods. XD

While the 4 horsemen are fair enough. The concept is typical enough to which I believe it can be fairly played by someone.
What rank though? Because if you ask me, The 4 horsemen are 'True gods' as they can overrule any gods creation at the end of time, and yet they lack the very definition of some of true gods powers, they have no universal domain or creation. They are True Gods Of Destruction. as it were.

I have a few more questions, but I'll get on with the CS for my 2 characters. I don't like playing modern characters so I'ma make 2 out of time, from totally different universes.

As Eddieddi pointed out, Neither. That would be a bit of a giant leap if the protagonists have something like fire manipulation, magical power....and one of them all of a sudden becomes a God. X_X So no, none of the Protagonists would be Gods. XD
Well, I'm grateful for that, but now I'm confused as to why anyone would need to play a god to affect the story. We can just, uh, make stuff happen through the power of narration. (And why would you play a god, if not to have a strong influence on the story?)

Maybe I'm just biased because I think a god is an incredibly boring character concept unless what they can and can't do is thoroughly restricted to a clear set of rules. And from all the emphasis you're putting on them with these tiers, not to mention the notes in the CS, it sounds like you're encouraging us to make a whole bunch of them.

(Sorry about all the huffiness, I'm just not interested in an RP where half the characters are gods -- not to mention the scenario Eddi described sounds like a chaotic mess -- so I want to clear this up ASAP.)

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Boo Girlie BoomBoom
Well, I'm grateful for that, but now I'm confused as to why anyone would need to play a god to affect the story. We can just, uh, make stuff happen through the power of narration. (And why would you play a god, if not to have a strong influence on the story?)

Maybe I'm just biased because I think a god is an incredibly boring character concept unless what they can and can't do is thoroughly restricted to a clear set of rules. And from all the emphasis you're putting on them with these tiers, not to mention the notes in the CS, it sounds like you're encouraging us to make a whole bunch of them.

(Sorry about all the huffiness, I'm just not interested in an RP where half the characters are gods so I want to clear this up ASAP.)

Its a control system, Its to stop players from just going 'well I want X' and dropping it in VIA power of narration. its a nerf to that power. It also means the DM can actually control what we do and encourages us to limit ourselfs. I doubt there will be inter-god politics.
I know its a bit random, but go read terry pratchet, in that the gods are ALLWAYS involved in one way or another, but they are never seen or ever kinda do the greek 'turn up and fuck up' style its always. "well if they need this and encounter this that might direct them towards this and let them get that first thing so lets go for that." Lots of subtle tweeking. it also allows for players to set up fuck ups in the plot with the OTHER PLAYERS knowing. rather than just have people use the power of 'suddenlys' which in my opinion will kill this roleplay. It also kinda gives players a way of EXPLAINING the power of narration, like 'why the fuck is the mcguffin in the middle of that fucking desert with 80 billion killer man sized scorpions round it?' "gods, fucking gods fucking with our fucking plans a-fucking-gain."

I would rather get my answers from the GM, thanks.

(unless you're a co-gm in which case I sincerely apologize)

Was going to comment on it, but...I couldn't have said it better than how Eddieddi did. Thanks a lot for explaining that, Eddi. ^_^

Literally The DM just said what I said above was correct, and in that I said exactly what I said in my last post. I just re-itterated it to expand upon the point so all could understand. Its not like I'm saying anything new here.

Am I the only one who gets this or am I going crazy form sleep dep. Now I mention that why is the room going vertical?

I want Jest to respond because everything you said kills my interest more, and it would be unfair of me to leave just based on what you said.

You want a nerf to the power of narration? You want the players to be able to set things up privately so they can be kept secret from other players? Just clear anything big you're planning with the GM. It's one of the cardinal rules of roleplay. In fact I would argue that being able to play a god makes it more difficult for the GM to hold onto that balance. And if you need to clear your gods' actions in private first, well, then the gods themselves are redundant.
It also kinda gives players a way of EXPLAINING the power of narration, like 'why the fuck is the mcguffin in the middle of that fucking desert with 80 billion killer man sized scorpions round it?' "gods, fucking gods fucking with our fucking plans a-fucking-gain."
This is a huge reason why I think gods are boring characters. If the only way you can explain or justify your sudden story shifts is "hurr durr the gods did it," then you have a terrible plot. (Unless the gods are personally involved with the protagonists and would have a legitimate reason for screwing with them, in which case I would again point to the need for a clear, restrictive set of rules, because otherwise you have terrible and boring characters in addition to a plot that can quickly get riddled with holes.)

This whole conversation is redundant if the cast getting stuffed with gods is discouraged, or if some sort of limit is placed on their number. Hence why I want an answer from the actual GM, who can adequately answer this question.

Ok so Jest and I just had a chat. and to curb any arguments or anything like that I'm going to first sumerize what came from it and then past the final message from him.
TL:DR summary: He wants a option for players to create a story with gods, Gods cannot fight other gods. so they do it by guiding and directing mortals. Gods have limits as he explained above. It creates a opportunity to bring in plot points and adventures as well as foes. The hierarchy is a way of controlling players and stopping abuse. Hence the top two teirs being GM only. Gods are Optional players can take em or Leave em.I am a Co-Gm in this respect (IE I don't 'sit on the council' I just happen to have a ear on the door/get to read the minutes)

Long post;
My REAL intentions, basically, is to provide the RPers with story options involving gods. I feel like it can't truly be free if I don't give them the opportunity to bring in something that can be used as important plot points, possibilities for adventures, and the like.

However, I'm also aware, as you have pointed out already, that this freedom comes with its possibility of abuse. Which is why I gave the Hierarchy to begin with. True Gods are difficult to beat, but not impossible. Not quite so for Creator Gods, and Especially not so for Origins. Which is why those two tiers are GM-only.

Either way, for the record, using gods is entirely optional.

I'm going to be using the horsemen as a method of creating moral dilemas and things for the characters to decide on.

Status
Not open for further replies.