Writing Levels
  1. Elementary
  2. Intermediate
  3. Adept
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Fantasy, Magical, Horror
I was listening to some dramatic music and I thought it might be a good idea to try developing some settings from the images that went along with the music videos. You can find the video here. If you see a setting that interests you, then feel free to help me come up with a finalised plot for it. I'll point out that skipping to the part of the video with the appropriate picture will give you an example of the dramaticness I was trying to put into the setting, I feel some of these won't work as well without it.

Setting One:
i64642hw.jpg

For 13 years now, the land has been cursed. Cursed to wither slowly, and fade into nothingness. Everything has been tried, and nothing has worked - the curse has not been alleviated, and probably cannot be. As is such, a group of shady night elves from far in the east has received their final mission. It has been said for many decades now that if you're going to go out, you should go out with a bang. The group's task is to cause this bang. They will face opposition from people who still have hope, however they are to cause the world to destroy itself as dramatically as possible, at any cost. The world is a deeply magical one, so it has been suggested that one uses magic to manipulate the political situation and cause a world wide war of epic proportions, though numerous other methods could be utilised.

Setting Two:
1371566.jpg

Some time ago, you have no idea how long, your sea vessel was destroyed in a storm. You boarded a little boat, or perhaps just held onto a piece of driftwood, and blacked out. You ended up here - the End of the World. The sun lays low on the horizon, never rising, never falling, as if frozen. The sky is a beautiful violet, and the only thing that can be heard is the lazy lapping of water, and the occasional call of a bird high above. You have only been on this beach for half an hour at most, but you feel as if you have been awake for years, without rest. Despite this, you cannot sleep, and nor can the people around you. Further in land, a small mountain rises up, surrounded by rolling hills and thick forest. In the distance, on the other edge of a bay, you can just make out a city of some kind.
(The characters do not know it yet, but World's End is a single snapshot of time taken out of the normal flow and moved to the very end of time itself. Time does not move here, people do not age, wildlife does not grow or die. If something would be destroyed it simply finds itself recreated in another location. It could be seen as a paradise, however, something is inherently wrong, and it feels more like there is a crushing sense of inevitable doom, rather than a sense of freedom and unending bliss.)

Setting Three:
7uYdLb9.jpg

Your race has been betrayed by those who swore to protect you. The other race had strength and intelligence superior to yours, and they overwhelmed and obliterated you. You tried to meet them on the battlefield, holding on to whatever hope you had left, but they crushed you none-the-less. Your cities lay abandoned; ghost towns. Your deaths are marked only by the tattered shreds of your shields, your weapons and your valued possessions. But, there is one who is not pleased by this turn of events. Through means beyond your control, you have been returned from the grave, sent back to finish what they started. Though you have no flesh, and your bones are held together only by the aetherial fabric woven by the displeased god, you fight on. Your persistence is enough to match their strength, and you hope one day to take your revenge on the monsters who slaughtered you. (really, this interests me mostly because I would like to see the psychological effects of being a skeleton warrior with no purpose but to slay their enemies. It could also work as a kind of life simulator thing, except in a city occupied by the undead rather than mortals)

I'm not sure how much I could help you with plot building, but I think the last two plots are pretty cool.

Number one sounds fun, I mean i'm always up for some fantasy.

I love the idea of taking an image or song and collaporatively making a setting/story prompt out of it! You should post this idea in the Worldbuilding Guild, too :3

Huh, i didn't think it was that special. I thought about it, but decided that you're the one who does these strange challenges and then I couldn't be bothered.

Status
Not open for further replies.