A Reluctant Pairing

B

Bat

Original poster
The smell of death was heavy in the air. Mangled bodies of demons and humans alike lay scattered across the ground, their blood staining the concrete pavement red and black. Only two figures stood alive: a female, angry, dressed in blood soaked purple; and a male, pleading, dressed in a black suit specked with red.

Dmetri ducked a knife aimed towards his head as he begged the half-demon at the center of this whole mess to stop. "Come on, Roxana. Stop this, please. Think of your poor mother, God bless her soul. She wouldn't want you to do any of this, would she?"
Roxana gave Dmetri a disgusted look. "I wouldn't know, would I? I never met the woman."
"Fuck," Dmetri cursed under his breath, desperately trying to think of something, anything, to calm Roxana down.
Roxana smirked, a cold cruel smile. "Aw, what's the matter? Lost your silver tongue?"
Dmetri was already extremely frustrated by this point. Not angry, mind you; he was hardly ever angry with his daughter. Just extremely frustrated, and her mocking didn't help in the slightest. "Come on, Roxana. Just stop it."

Roxana's only response was rushing forwards, knife in hand, and slashing at Dmetri's stomach. Dmetri jumped backwards, but the knife still went through his shirt, just nicking the skin. A small trail of blood trickled out. Roxana slashed again, this time at Dmetri's throat. He caught her by the wrist, stopping the blade by just millimeters. "Roxana, please. I don't want to have to hurt you."
Roxana pulled free and looked at Dmetri, that smirk still on her face. "You don't want to hurt me?" She laughed, gesturing to the bodies that lay on the floor. "Looks like I'm the only one causing any hurt around here. And I plan on continuing to do so until every last piece of scum is dead." The female swung the knife towards Dmetri. He took a step backwards to avoid the blade, tripping over a lifeless human body. He hit his head against the floor, causing one of his contacts to fall out. Dmetri quickly got to his feet, and the sight of his now mismatched eyes elicited another laugh from the half-demon.
"How do you expected to stop me when you can't even see?" Roxana taunted. "I'll kill you just like I killed all of these other losers. The only difference is that you won't even see what's coming." She cackled, as if threatening to kill her own father was the most hilarious thing in the world, before once more attacking him.

The two continued this dance of death, her attacking him and laughing at his attempts to quell her rage, him dodging and not letting up with his attempts to stop her.

Reactions: AshenAngel
Archaeo scowled at the feeling in the air, instinct guiding his steps as he began to notice the smell of blood and the warmth of fresh bodies. If only the message had come through earlier, perhaps he could have limited the losses. But wishes and regrets would do little to fix this situation and from the sounds of things, there was still someone left that could be saved. The bodies of demons were scattered amongst those of the humans, in a way that made him suspect that other hunters weren't responsible for the carnage.

He pulled out his revolver and his dagger and slowly moved in to where he heard the commotion coming from. A woman in bloodied purple was bearing down on a well-dressed man. Though, he suspected that there was far more to this situation than he could understand. As the man was knocked down and got back up with mismatched eyes, the hunter became slightly more aware of the situation at hand. The woman was responsible for all this senseless slaughter, and it appeared that the demon was attempting to settle her down peacefully with absolutely no success. A shame, really.

The demon seemed to have some sort of visual impairment, and was beginning to show signs of trouble when it came to avoiding the woman's attacks. When it appeared that the woman had seen the opening to a fatal blow, Archaeo leaped from his hiding spot and moved to intercept. He pushed the demon back, away from the blade swinging at him, and a metal clang rang out as he locked knives with the woman. His fierce blue gaze locked with the woman's as a small smile flashed across his face. "Forgive me for stepping in, but that hardly looked like a fair fight."

Oh, he knew in an instant that he'd probably gotten in way over his head, stepping into a fight between possibly two demons was never a smart idea, but if it meant protecting a life, then so be it. He only had the strength of a human, so he fully expected immediate repercussions to him joining the fray. "Go!" He ordered the demon behind him, hoping that he wouldn't wind up having to fend off an attack from him as well.

Roxana was genuinely surprised by the intrusion, pausing for a moment. She recovered quickly, however, and a grin crept onto her face. "Deary me, has a little hunter come out to play?" The she-demon let out a crazed laugh of glee. "How fun." She pulled another knife from a hidden pocket, intending to slice open the hunter, only for Dmetri to pull the human away before Roxana even had a chance to.

Unlike Roxana, who seemed to be loving the fact she had a new potential victim, Dmetri definitely was not happy with the hunter cutting in. "Stupid fool, you being here is just making it worse," he spat at the hunter. "I have it under control."

Of course, that made Roxana laugh even more. "Yeah, you so have it under control? That's why I was totally beating your culo," she mocked.
Dmetri sighed in irritation, rubbing his temples to ease the headache that was starting to settle in. "Roxana, this is the sort of behavior I'd expect from a human. Even the most chaotic demons I know still have some sort of reasoning behind who they kill. Only a human would kill anyone and everyone in sight."
The grin faded from Roxana's face. "Tell me, how would Mother have reacted if you had said that in front of her? Would she have agreed with you? You think that humans are such scum, but you're no different. Demons and humans both are scum that shouldn't be allowed to live. Yes, that makes me the worst of all, but before I die, the rest of the scum need to die first!" As she spoke, Roxana got closer to her father, and with that last sentence, she thrust one of her knives into Dmetri's stomach. No time for the demon to react, the knife went hilt deep, before Roxana knocked Dmetri to the floor yet again.

Roxana then turned to the hunter, that grin from a few moments before back. "Y'know, hunters are the worst type of human there is. Hypocrites, the lot of you. That's the only thing my father has ever been right about." She chuckled, before swinging her knife at the hunter's throat, the force behind it potentially enough to slice right through if it had the chance.

"Under control, my ass." Archaeo muttered, not exactly surprised at the attitude thrown his way, though he was grateful for being moved out of harm's way in return. He decidedly stayed quiet when the two of them both expressed their hatred for humans. He grew wary as the woman started to monologue. The demon didn't seem to notice her drawing near, didn't appear to notice the growing tension in her frame until it was too late.

He easily stepped back, away from the blade when it was turned on him. He leveled his gun at her and pulled the trigger, hoping that the bullet would find its mark in her shoulder. He wasn't going to kill a child in front of their parent, he wasn't like the many hunters he'd crossed paths with. He was aiming to scare her off, and buy himself some time to try to save the life of the demon who'd fallen. He needed to try, at least.

"Leave here now, this is your only warning." He stated, getting ready to quickly move out of the way of what would surely be a retaliation strike. He had some sense left in him. He knew not to stay still in a fight, even if the woman was fairly easy to read. She was faster than him and he knew it, which had him even more on edge. If only his memory wasn't so terrible, he'd have a nice office job somewhere instead of dealing with demons that held no qualms about slaying their own kin as well as their own kind.

Dmetri struggled to his feet, wincing at the pain. He was smart enough to know it would be a bad idea to pull the knife out; at least until he had the chance to sort it out properly. He'd dealt with far worse pain this before, and was still able to fight. The only difference was that this time, he was feeling sick; mainly due to his current inability to see out of both eyes, something that was rather disorientating.

Roxana didn't notice her father getting to his feet, she was too focused on the hunter in front of her. She barely flinched as the bullet went in her shoulder, anger drowning out the pain. All being shot served to do was make her madder. She swung her knife again, once again aiming for the hunter's throat, but before she could even complete the swing, Dmetri stepped forward and caught her wrist.

"Get off of me, Dmetri!" Roxana snarled. "Stupido brutto figlio di puttana bastardo!"
"That's no language for a lady to use." Dmetri smirked weakly, intentionally annoying Roxana further. "I would do as the cacciatore said and leave. Unlike me, he won't hesitate to hurt you."
Roxana twisted around so she was facing her father, unable to get out of his grip. "You really think that bothers me?"
"Yes, I think it does," Dmetri answered. "Because if you die now, you'll never be able to complete your so-called mission, will you?"
Roxana glared at Dmetri. He was right. Of course he was right. She couldn't die now, when there was still so many others alive. "Fine, I'm going," she growled. Dmetri released his grip, and Roxana ran off. A few moments later, the sound of a motorcycle could be heard driving away.
"Thank goodness," Dmetri muttered, clearly relieved that Roxana had taken the smart decision to leave.

The demon sat heavily on the ground, finding it too much effort to stay standing. In the past few moments, he had turned rather pale. There was a stain spreading on his shirt around the knife, not a good sign at all. Dmetri pulled a folded handkerchief form his pocket and, not even thinking about it, yanked the knife out, and pressed the handkerchief over the wound. He threw the knife to the side, and it was then that he actually remembered the hunter was there. "I suppose I should thank you," he said. "If you hadn't shown up, I'd probably be dead right now. So... thanks." Despite his hate of hunters, Dmetri still was a gentleman, and that meant he had to say thank you.

Archaeo's tense stance only relaxed, slightly, when the sound of an engine fired up in the distance. He put away his weapons, aware that the demon near him wasn't exactly in the best shape to be considered a threat. His gaze finally met the demon's as the male sat down. He watched the demon attempt to deal with the stab wound, his worry growing from the increasing pallor of his skin. A bleak little smile appeared on his face at the demon's thanks. "Don't thank me. If I had gotten here sooner, maybe more lives could have been saved."

He pulled out a small first aide kit from a hidden pocket within his jacket. "I don't have much, but I'm pretty sure I've got some gauze and butterfly bandages in here. I know a little health clinic near here that won't ask questions, if this isn't enough." His words were a bit more soft spoken now, gaze focused on pulling out the required items. Judging by the size of the blood stain he'd seen, the knife had probably nicked a vein, thankfully not an artery. It hadn't been a major one, otherwise the demon would have been lying down already. He poured a bit of rubbing alcohol over his hands, before opening one of the gauze pads. "Keep pressure on it, put this over the handkerchief and let me know if you feel the blood go through it." While his voice remained soft, there was a slight undertone to it that would not allow an argument to spark.

He quietly watched for a moment, making sure that the demon was applying the right amount of pressure. His gaze finally flicked up to meet the demon's once again. "Keep the pressure constant there for at least twenty-five minutes. I'm going to pull out my phone in order to start a timer, alright? My gun and dagger are in my lower pockets, my phone is in a pocket up by my chest." He wanted to make his intentions as clear as possible in order to keep the demon from getting too stressed by his movements. Stress would increase heart rate, which would in turn increase the rate of bleeding, and that would not be good. The hunter had been paying attention to what had been said in the fight. This demon hated hunters, and most likely didn't trust a single one of his actions as a result. So he would make sure to keep his movements as calm and articulated as possible. "How are you holding up? Do you have any other injuries that are severe enough to warrant concern?"

Dmetri didn't argue with the hunter; he was grateful that he had the first aid kit with him. He held the gauze over the wound, applying pressure to it like he was told, whilst keeping an eye on the hunter's movements. The last time the demon had been vulnerable like this in front of a hunter, it definitely hadn't turned out well, so Dmetri wasn't exactly feeling very trusting right now.

"No, no other injuries," Dmetri answered. "The worst thing is the fact I can't actually see properly at the moment. If it isn't obvious, one of my contacts were knocked out. Nothing I can do about that until I get home, though. Speaking of which..." The demon looked at the hunter properly. "There is no way that I'm going to go to a health clinic or anything like that; I can sew myself up pretty well at home if need be. I actually have an apartment around here, very close by in fact. I doubt Roxana choosing this spot was an accident..." Dmetri trailed off, thinking back to everything his daughter had said during the fight. The fact she thought that even he was scum, that even she herself was scum, was something that he had never in a million years thought that she would think. It was surprising, yet her snapping was something he had been told would end up happening.

He shook his head slightly, dismissing the thoughts. "Anyway... I would very much appreciate it if you could help me to my apartment; I wouldn't ask, except I don't exactly fancy accidentally walking out in front of a car."

Archaeo quietly listened as the demon gave a brief summary of what else was wrong. He pulled out his phone and started the timer on it. "From the rate you had been bleeding at, it looked like the knife nicked a vein. The least amount of time it would take for that to stop bleeding is twenty minutes. If it doesn't clot up within forty-five minutes at most, then I will be taking you to the clinic whether you like it or not. I'm not exactly a doctor, you'd want someone who knows exactly what they're doing in order to stop that vein from bleeding at that point." He was being about as serious as he could be.

"The butterfly bandages should be enough to keep the wound closed once the bleeding is dealt with, no stitches required as long as you keep it clean. Stitches could do more harm to the surrounding tissue and cause more scarring than the wound itself." While a bit blunt, Archaeo's honesty wasn't something to be disregarded.

He continued to look over the demon carefully, making sure there weren't any signs of complications. The bleeding seemed to be under control at this point, and his phone vibrated in his hand when the time was up. "I can help you get there. Do you feel steady enough to walk?" He asked, offering the demon a hand up. "Oh... Uh, fair warning, I'm absolutely terrible when it comes to remembering street names. It'll be easier on the both of us if you just tell me when to turn as we get there." He added, a hint of embarrassment to his voice as his gaze flicked downwards.

He felt the need to prove that he wasn't just an idiot, in case the demon decided to make fun of him for his ineptitude. Part of him doubted that that would happen, but the overwhelming majority of his mind that had the experience of being made fun of for it before was grasping at straws to find a way to prove himself. "You can lean on me if you need to, alright? It might make things a little bit easier on you. Is it your depth perception that's getting thrown off right now?"

That woman, he'd said her name a few times now and yet the hunter was still drawing a blank of it. He waited a little while to mention her, knowing that it could probably start some sort of argument, but he wanted to take in what little peace he could before he settled back into the work mindset. "Do you think she'll strike near you again?" He asked quietly, sparing a brief glance at the demon.

"I do know what exactly what I'm doing," Dmetri muttered to himself. He was over two millennia old, for goodness sake. This wasn't the first knife wound he'd had to deal with. But... That was just his pride talking. He never knew exactly what he was doing, he just copied what he had seen human doctors do in the past. Which probably wasn't the best to treat himself medically, all things considered. So, he knew what the hunter was saying was true, he just didn't want to admit it.

"Yeah, I'm steady enough to walk." Dmetri nodded, accepting the help up. "At least I don't have to worry about you being able to find your way back to my place at a later date," he joked with a smirk in response to the hunter's words about not being able to remember street names. The demon really was just joking around, though. "Scherzo, I'm not good with street names either. They change way too often, so I don't even bother trying to remember them. In fact, I pride myself on the fact I can make my way around the entirety of Italia, from Alberobello to Bergamo, without consulting a single street name." Yeah, he may have been boasting a little, in a tasteful way of course, but that did help to get his mind off of the pain a little.

"Yes, it's mainly my depth perception," Dmetri answered. "This eye is practically useless right now," he said, pointing to his right - yellow - eye. "It would be more useful if it wasn't even there, because at least then it wouldn't be giving me this damned headache," he added on, a tad grumpily. He didn't lean on the hunter, he didn't feel he needed to. He didn't like feeling like he was relying on people, even if doing so did make it easier. Getting the hunter to help him home was bad enough as it was.

When asked about Roxana, Dmetri once again answered in the affirmative. "She probably will. She's her father's daughter; she loves to make a statement." He couldn't help chuckling to himself. "As dramatic as her father, and as passionate about what she believes in as her late mother. Roxana is usually a wonderful young lady... Uh, young in comparison to me, that is. Anyway, next time, it'll probably be a lot worse. She's angry, and therefore very dangerous..."

Archaeo gave the demon the biggest eye roll he could manage when he heard his muttering. "Sure, sure." He mumbled. He kept a careful eye on the demon, still checking to be sure that it was safe to move him. Still not seeing anything explicitly wrong, he helped the demon back to his feet. He watched for signs of unsteadiness as the demon stood there for a second, before they set off towards wherever his home was. A faint chuckle sounded from him at the comment made regarding his ability to find the demon's home again. "Despite all odds, I'm not completely hopeless." He stated simply. He humored the male's boasting, unable to place any of the locations he'd named off.

As the demon went on to complain about his eyesight, a more sympathetic smile appeared on Archaeo's face. "Y'know, when I was a kid, I got hit in the head and couldn't see straight for almost three months. Made friends with this blind kid while I was at the hospital, she reminded me how lucky I was to be able to make things out at all." He commented. He was sure the kid had told him her name, but he just couldn't place it.

The smile washed away from his face when the demon began to talk about his daughter. "...That was a senseless slaughter of both our kinds back there. I need to know why she acted out now and I need to know if you can get her to stop all this before more lives are lost. If you can't reign her in, I'll have to put a stop to it. If I can avoid making that call, I will, but if it comes between her and a group of people that will be her next victims, I'm going to have to make the hard call." He spoke softly, his sharp gaze traveling over their surroundings as he tried to memorize the route they were taking. His words were as genuine as always as he continued. "I'm sorry to leave this up to you, but I'm a human, and even worse, a hunter. There's no way that I'd be able to negotiate a peaceful outcome with the state she's in."

Dmetri listened to the hunter talk about the kid from the hospital. He completely understood the thing about still being able to make things out; the demon had heard similar things from various people throughout his life, and he was forever thankful for the fact his eye problems could be remedied with such simple things.

The demon sighed in response to what the hunter was saying about Roxana. He understood completely where he was coming from, but that understanding didn't make it any less bad. "Why she's acting out now... Well, that's a long story..." Dmetri glanced around at where they were quickly, and realized that they were now extremely close to where he lived. He stopped outside an apartment building.

"Uh, I live here, top floor," Dmetri said to the hunter. "It'll probably be easier to talk about this stuff inside. If you don't mind coming up to my apartment, that is. Means I'll be able to sort out the whole 'not being able to see properly' situation..." The demon would never have thought he'd ever invite a hunter into his home, but it was almost necessary in times like this.

Red flags began to raise when the demon asked him to go into the apartment. An enclosed space, the fact that demon could easily send him tumbling down the stairwell now that he didn't have a direct need for him... All these things went through Archaeo's mind while his face remained neutral. Of course, he was going through just about every alternative he could think of to avoid going into the demon's home, but nothing came to mind that would give the demon the more private atmosphere that he was no doubt trying to find in order to discuss their whole situation. So ultimately, this was the only option. He'd just have to stay sharp and pay attention.

Archaeo gave the demon a long look, trying to see if he had any ill intentions. He'd been tricked into something like this before, and hated falling for the same things twice. "...You're not going to try and kill me once you get yourself put back together, right?" He asked with a faint amount of humor entering his voice, though there was a fair bit of seriousness as well. He blamed his more passive approach on just how tired he was, but he was still as sharp as ever.

He made a small after you gesture to the door, not wanting to leave his back exposed. One incident was plenty enough for him to at least try and learn. "I'll catch you if you misstep, or we'll both go tumbling down together." He supplied with a small shrug.

Dmetri stopped himself from rolling his eyes at the hunter's question. "Yeah, because I'm so going to risk sullying my excellent reputation," he answered with heavy sarcasm. He understood the distrust it seemed the hunter had, though. He'd probably be the same if the situation were reversed.

Dmetri was about to enter the building, but - as if to prove the demon's point about his excellent reputation - an elderly lady exited before he could. Her eyes went wide upon seeing him. "Oh my lord, what ever happened to you, Dmetri?"
The male gave the lady a small smile. "Nothing too serious, Ms Johnson. I had the misfortune to be the victim of a rather violent mugger," he lied. "Thankfully, this gentleman was in the area and assisted me," he added on, gesturing to the hunter.
"Oh deary, why do the worst things happen to the best people? At least there are still some people willing to help others..." Ms Johnson said with a small shake of disbelief. "You are alright, aren't you?"
"You shouldn't worry about me, it's just the smallest of scratches," Dmetri reassured her. "How are you? I trust those wretched teenagers have stopped bothering you?"
"I'm fine," the lady said, a hint of worry for Dmetri still in her voice. "Thank you so much for having a talk with those kids. I haven't even seen them in a few days."
"You're very welcome, ma'am," the demon replied with a small bow.
"Well, I should be off now. I don't want to be late. Do take care, Dmetri."
"I will. Arrivederci, mia cara."

The elderly lady smiled and headed off, and the demon entered the building. He climbed the stairs, slower than he would have liked to on account of his injury, to the top floor, and unlocked the door to his apartment. He left it open for the hunter, and immediately disappeared into his bedroom so that he could find another pair of contacts, or at least his glasses, and a shirt that wasn't completely ruined.

The apartment opened straight into the living room, with the other rooms off to the sides. One wall of the living room was dominated by an impressive bookcase filled with various books, DVDs, and CDs, as well as various items that the demon had collected over his many many years. But that wasn't the most noticeable thing when you entered the room. What was, were the many sketches that hung on the opposite wall. Most were of random people Dmetri had met throughout his life; however, in the center were two portraits in very intricate, expensive-looking frames. One was obviously Roxana, and the other was a very beautiful human who looked somewhat similar. The paper that one was drawn on was yellowed with age, but still in excellent condition. The rest of the living room had everything you would expect a regular living-room to have.

Archaeo was very quiet as he watched the demon talk with the older woman. He was a bit confused as to why she was heading out this late at night, but he didn't question it. He simply nodded with a polite smile as the demon spoke of his assistance, preferring to remain mundane and forgettable to the woman.

He followed along behind the demon as he wrapped up his conversation with the woman and headed inside.

He didn't know what to think of the apartment, really. It was quiet, mundane in a way that the hunter had forgotten. The book case and numerous sketches brought an image to his mind, knickknacks lining the shelves, photographs of far off places, and just like that it was gone. He realized he'd been staring at the pictures for too long.

Archaeo took a seat on the couch, quietly twiddling his thumbs as he waited for the demon to come back. He needed to know if there was a peaceful way out of this. He was a hunter, yes, but he was far better at negotiating.

"Gosh darn it," Dmetri muttered to himself as he looked through his bedroom. He couldn't find another pair of contacts anywhere. Of course, that was probably due to his currently diminished vision. If he had the time, he'd be able to find them. But currently... He had no time. Having a hunter in his apartment, in his safe space, was very uncomfortable, especially since Dmetri had no way of knowing what the hunter may have been doing. So he grabbed his glasses from his bedside table, removed the remaining contact from his eye, and put the glasses on, before grabbing a shirt from his wardrobe and putting it on. He took a small breath to calm himself - the events of that night had really stressed him out - before going to the living room.

Rather than sit down on the couch, Dmetri chose to stand near the bookshelf, so it was easier for him to move if the hunter turned on him. Because, well, the demon wasn't exactly very trusting when it came to hunters. His now-yellow eyes looked at the human sitting on his couch. "I guess I should explain why Roxana's acting out."

He glanced at the drawing of Roxana hanging on the wall, and the one next to it. "One thing about her you should know, is that she isn't entirely demon.

About five hundred years ago, I met a wonderful woman, by the name of Raquel. Prettiest lady I had ever seen. Kind, and very intelligent for a female back then. I fell head over heels from the moment I saw her. But she was human. I tried to keep my distance, but..."

Dmetri shrugged.

"She told me that if I kept avoiding her, she'd tell the entire village about me. She had figured me out pretty much straight away, you see. Anyway, her and I became very close, and even considered finding a way for us to marry. And then she fell pregnant.

I still remember the day she gave birth as if it was yesterday. She insisted I be by her side, and so I was. She gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. Roxana."

Dmetri smiled at memory, but his smile quickly disappeared as he proceeded with the story.

"Raquel's brother was a hunter. He hadn't managed to figure out what I am in the few years that Raquel and I shared, but it became obvious after Roxana was born.

He killed his own sister for sharing a bed with a demon, before attempting to drown Roxana in boiling water. The poor girl still has terrible scars on her back from it. I killed the piece of scum who called himself a man, before fleeing with Roxana. I tried to hide the details of the event from Roxana, but my mother told me that she deserved to know. I told Roxana once she was mature enough, and... Well, that's the reason she hates humans."

Dmetri pulled himself out of the past as he continued.

"And hating demons... We lie, manipulate, kill, torture... I personally don't see how that's any different to what you humans do, but Roxana feels differently. Despite being a part of both worlds, she absolutely hates demons and humans alike. I've known that for a while, I just never thought she'd act on it. I guess after decades of burying that resentment deep, she just snapped... I honestly have no idea how to stop her..."

Dmetri fell silent, nothing else to say, and just waited for the hunter's response to his words.

Archaeo quietly listened as the demon spun the story of his love and their child, quietly trying to puzzle together a way to put an end to this without having to kill his daughter. He let out a long sigh, rubbing his eyes from the headache he was starting to get. "...No one just snaps. There was a breaking point, there always is, it just went unnoticed." He stated clearly, his gaze traveling over the drawings on the wall once more. "My assignment is to make sure that these killings stop. It wasn't specified how, so I would like to avoid using lethal force if at all possible." He said, finally turning to look at the demon.

"If we can figure out what it was that pushed her beyond the breaking point, then maybe, hopefully, she can be talked down from whatever goal she's set for herself." He reasoned quietly. "I know that a hunter like myself trying to reason with her would be a suicide mission. If there is any chance that she can be reasoned with, I'll need your help doing it." His gaze was softer, compassionate and honest.