Alias: none

Species/Race: Human

Sexual Orientation: Straight

Current Residence: Arcay, Kadra

Family: Mother and father deceased.

Sister: Kaia Sahir

Nephew: Talun Sahir

Class: Shaman
Strength system: Knowledge and Magical affinity.

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS

Height: 5'6"
Weight: 145lbs
Hair: grey/white
Eyes: Dark Brown

Distinguishing Marks: Missing pinky finger on left hand.
General Appearance: Poorly-aged yet active, for his age. Weathered and well traveled.
wears simple, but exotic looking shirts and pants, curly tipped shoes.
Strengths: Patient, Good memory, Stubborn.
Weaknesses: Stubborn, Manual labor, little martial skill.

MENTAL CHARACTERISTICS

Allies: Traveling merchants, "Spirits", Shamans.
Enemies: Bandits (but who isn't am I right?), Templars/Crusaders.

Current Goal/Purpose: Obtain knowledge in all forms
Aspirations: Learn to speak to the dead.
Hobbies: Sketching and painting.
Dislikes: Large bodies of water, soldiers
Talents: Mercantile, ingenuity with magic.
Inabilities: Running for and extended amount of time, using weapons.

Fears: Large sea creatures.

General Personality: Kind and generally caring to others. But manipulative with his abilities to a degree, often preforms minor 'cons' on people, usually for money. Greedy and hungry for knowledge to a fault, tries not to let it show but will go to great lengths to gain books, trinkets or anything that would teach him more of the world of magic. Enjoys being helpful but doesn't go out of his way to help everyone. Spiritual, but not necessarily to a god, believes in a few deities that reign over the afterlife though, claims to have heard and seen them.

Secret: Likes to keep secrets.

SPECIALTY CHARACTERISTICS

Special Items: Golden earrings. A multitude of "magic" powders and dusts that he makes himself.
Weapons: Sword cane, as a trump card. Appears as a normal walking cane, with a brass tip at the bottom. Contains a thin, foot and a half long blade.
Arcane Methods (magics):

Spirit magics:

LISTEN.
Listen allows Ranga to temporarily hear the final thoughts of a recently departed soul or feel the emotions they felt in the moments leading up to their death. It requires deep concentration and physical contact with some part of the body. Listen only works if the person/animal has died within an hour or so, with training this time can increase. The hand motion is a wave with the fingers in a downward motion, starting with the pinky and ending with the pointer finger touching the body.
Listen has two other levels as well, Look and Speak, they are more physically and mentally taxing to even attempt, and few if any have ever managed to use Speak.

Commune.
Commune is a very situational spell. It allows wandering spirits to temporarily manifest themselves, while they cannot harm nor be harmed, they can disrupt other magic users or unsettle those afraid of them. Commune works well when in an area heavily populated by spirits, and therefore will not work all the time. Ranga has no control over the spirits, he just allows them to be seen and "felt". Hand movement requires both hands, fingers spread open then made into fists, turned upright and raised up slightly.

Destruction.

Wound.
Wound
does just as it sounds, to human or animal it causes a wound. The closer Ranga is the greater the damage, from a distance it might not be more than a bruise or a small scrape, but the closer he is, it's effects is amplified and it becomes open cuts and punctures. Similar effects occur on inanimate objects allowing for precise cutting of distance objects, say a rope for example. Hand movements require pointer and index finger extended made in a short slashing/stabbing motion.

Shatter.
Shatter destroys objects with force usually causing the debris to be flung in all directions. The size, mass, density and several other factors determine how much willpower is needed to shatter the object, breaking rocks or simple wooden planks is fairly easy, but using attempting it on steel armor would prove very difficult. Shatter seems to have no effect on living things, if it does it most likely requires an unfathomable amount of willpower to do so. Shatter's hand motion is a closed fist, followed by opening the hand quickly then bending the second knuckle on each finger.

HISTORIC BACKGROUND

General History: Ranga Sahir and his younger sister were born into a merchant family from Kadra, though he was born there he spent much of his youth traveling the land, a majority of that time was spent in Ormont, where his sister was born. Ranga learned a great deal on trading at a young age, how to properly haggle and get the most out of what you had were common knowledge to him. Despite the constant traveling young Ranga yearned for more he wanted to see the rest of the land but on his own terms. Around the time Ranga had turned eighteen he let his parents know what he wanted in life, with nothing but glowing support he set off on his own, a few books, some gold to help him along the way and strong ties to the merchants of the land he left his home in Kadra to explore. Along the way Ranga began to study magic, originally it seemed as though it would be useful for self defense against the occasional highwayman or roaming bandit, he began to practice destruction magic, buying and reading every book, scroll or person who would teach him.

However, destruction magic was soon an afterthought as Ranga became more in-touch with the realm of spirits. In his travels he met a small Shaman tribe, at the base of mount Kimber in the no-mans-land they lived in seclusion, deeply in-tune with the spirit realm. It was by sheer accident Ranga had ended up there, a map he received had taken him on a back-route through no-mans land on his way to Eventide, he noted a feeling in the air, as though there was some ubiquitous entity in the very air. His curiosity got the better of him and he followed a faint, blue light in the distance. Upon arriving at the source of the light he stumbled upon a few wild looking men and women who appeared to be communing with some sort of ethereal being. Ranga had never seen anything like it, and instead of fear it only excited him. He was very careful on approaching them, they were primitive, yet peaceful they did not wish to harm Ranga, but were very wary none-the-less. Ranga began with peace offerings of dried foods from across the lands, and trinkets to show he meant well, the Shaman appreciated his gestures but it meant little to them. Ranga displayed a keen interest on learning about the spirit world, communicating was difficult at first, as they barely spoke if at all, most communication was through hand gestures and some strange tribal noises. Ranga showed him he knew how to use magic, this alone was what brought the Shaman to teach him, in their culture only those with and innate ability to use magic (Even though Ranga's was learned) may be taught.

After two years under their guidance, Ranga learned a great deal on the spirit realm, and the Shamans considered him one of their own, they taught him the use of simple herbs, and minerals ground into a powder that is applied to the face and arms, that they believed allowed the spirits to trust the living as it was believed to give you a more ethereal appearance, or show connection to the spirit world. Ranga continued his travels after living with the Shamans, he took his knowledge and began to help those with ones who had recently passed be it to assist in finding who killed them or how they had died, or just to bring closure, knowing their final thoughts. Ranga started this with a noble cause but as time went on and people began to tae hkim for granted he would embellish these 'final thoughts' as he believe they didn't deserve the truth.

Present Life: Ranga now resides in Arcay, Kadra's capitol, he runs a small, but respectable shop, carrying basic goods built upon the foundation his parents made with their ties to the merchant clans across the land. He not only sells goods, but offers assistance in the form of spiritual assistance, and has helped the local guardsmen and families come to terms with, or in some cases find the killers of loved ones and townsfolk.

Special Historic Notes:
A short time after Ranga had trained under the Shaman he had made his way into Eventide, via a merchant caravan, after a brief stop at the capitol they headed north to Garretstead, and would continue on into Gashton. However Ranga had no desire to enter Gashton, he instead departed just outside of Garretstead to enjoy, and draw a brief sketching of the area, with the won in the distance. It was his way of committing a place to memory, and making a map of his travels. Just a mile or so out of town was a small crossroads with a stone bench at the north corner of it, some sort of old landmark, it was there he first met Lucinda, a beauty of a woman, pale skin and flowing black hair. Ranga, a young man at this point, was snared in her looks and deeply interested in knowing her, with little hesitation he greeted himself and they became close rather quickly. Eventide had a neutral standing, but leaned heavily against magic, upon discovering that Ranga practiced magic, Lucinda was intrigued as magic user were not overly common and if you did practice it, it was in somewhat secrecy. Ranga gave her gifts of the mind and impressed her greatly with nothing more than simple little spells. He told stories of his travels and the sketches of where he had ben to go along with it. Ranga desperately wanted Lucinda to come with him on his journey, but she refused and gave little reason, this did not deter Ranga, instead it made his attempts to impress her more grand. Unbeknownst to Ranga, Lucinda was the daughter of an influential politician in Garretstead, he made the mistake of displaying his magical affinity in a public area in town in an attempt to impress her, unfortunately the local guard, who were more like thugs, took custody of Ranga. Their reason was attempted assassination of a politician's daughter, and as punishment he would lose a finger for each reason they sought fit, they could think of five.

They started with the pinky finger on his left hand, the pain was unbearable and was quickly cauterized with a hot poker, So as to not let him bleed out before they could cut the rest off. Ranga nearly passed out, the dungeon he was in with the two guards reeked of death, he was exhausted but he knew what he had to do in order to escape. Ranga muttered a few words under his breath and shakily threw his hands out with his fingers spread and quickly clenched them into fists and turned them upright. Suddenly the air grew thick and the two candles in the room were quickly snuffed, wispy bluish shapes began to form, vaguely humanoid in shape, six or seven of them all in the same room, all tortured and killed souls, The guards overcome with fear began slashing blindly and violently at the haunting shapes and in their fear one managed to plunge his sword into the other guards chest. Ranga seized the opportunity and cast a wound upon he guards head from across the room knocking him out, he took the keys and fled. Ranga ran back to the crossroads where Lucinda and himself would often meet but she was not there, undoubtedly more guards would be after him, he ran down aways and met with the same caravan of merchants now heading southward in Eventide. Ranga sat in the back of the caravan, exhausted he took out a book and flipped through the pagesand found his sketch of Lucinda, he wouldn't get the chance to go back to Garretstead for some time, to this day he has not returned and knows not of Lucinda's fate.

Last edited:
>goes to ask friend who designs tattoos if she could draw my character's tattoo
>finds out not friends anymore
>this is awkward
>I dont know how I feel about this

I have a question. For my character, athletics, nature affinity and battle mastery make the best sense, however we can only choose 2 right? If I choose nature affinity and athletics, does that mean my character will have excellent control over a spear and a tomahawk (both of which tools of survival as well as tools of war).

@Aeronfarron Based on your character background and the fact that spears and tomahawks are rather simple weapons (and seemingly somewhat essential to the culture), I would say there's a reasonable expectation that your character be proficient with those weapons, and to a good degree (but lacking in the formal training with swords, crossbows, waraxes, etc.)

Other situational examples:
A blacksmith without Battle Mastery could wield a hammer quite effectively without stretching the "rules" unfairly.
A librarian's assistant with Subterfuge and Artifice might know a fair bit on a relevant subject or two without the Knowledge strength.

If it doesn't give your character a noticeable boost in power, and as longs as it's relevant to the character's backstory, it's generally okay. Just keep in mind the few caveats in the strength descriptions. At specific points as the roleplay progresses, we foresee an opportunity to be able to select additional strengths, as a character grows. So don't worry about being "locked in" to 2 choices. Characters are dynamic, after all.

Hope that this makes sense, and thanks!

@Aeronfarron Based on your character background and the fact that spears and tomahawks are rather simple weapons (and seemingly somewhat essential to the culture), I would say there's a reasonable expectation that your character be proficient with those weapons, and to a good degree (but lacking in the formal training with swords, crossbows, waraxes, etc.)

Other situational examples:
A blacksmith without Battle Mastery could wield a hammer quite effectively without stretching the "rules" unfairly.
A librarian's assistant with Subterfuge and Artifice might know a fair bit on a relevant subject or two without the Knowledge strength.

If it doesn't give your character a noticeable boost in power, and as longs as it's relevant to the character's backstory, it's generally okay. Just keep in mind the few caveats in the strength descriptions. At specific points as the roleplay progresses, we foresee an opportunity to be able to select additional strengths, as a character grows. So don't worry about being "locked in" to 2 choices. Characters are dynamic, after all.

Hope that this makes sense, and thanks!

It helps alot. Thank you!

Last question: Can we use fan art of characters rather than totally original characters?

Judging by the character template, that states no animu pictures, I think if you are outside that scope you are good because I pulled mine from random art shit and havent been yelled at yet. -waits for yelling to commence-

Judging by the character template, that states no animu pictures, I think if you are outside that scope you are good because I pulled mine from random art shit and havent been yelled at yet. -waits for yelling to commence-

works for me, thanks!

Considering 90% of anime images are more or less a form of line art (excluding those artists who flesh out more detailed images), it should be easy to avoid that issue. Fan art of various video game characters such as Dante or any character from Dark Souls tend to be rather detailed and more or less realistic in terms of style.

Indeed! Aside from anime, feel free to use an image or images from the internet to help visualize and portray your character. Could be fan art, concept art, sketches, paintings, or simply even a face. We don't expect everyone to be a concept artist, but we do want to foster a sense of realism.

Realism is really the big thing for me and that can easily be captured with art. The reason for my distaste for anime often stems from something like this (and yes it happens far too often):

AnimeBoyRedHair.jpg

"Name: Sir Gregory, Age: 32, Gender: Male ...."

There's just no way I can take that seriously let alone visualize it as what the person is trying to convey. It makes me want to max out a credit card at the nearest bar.

Realism is really the big thing for me and that can easily be captured with art. The reason for my distaste for anime often stems from something like this (and yes it happens far too often):

AnimeBoyRedHair.jpg

"Name: Sir Gregory, Age: 32, Gender: Male ...."

There's just no way I can take that seriously let alone visualize it as what the person is trying to convey. It makes me want to max out a credit card at the nearest bar.
This. All of this.

Also Zaith answered, but the 2 Strengths are just guidelines to highlight the major strengths of your character, but at the same time not denying them. For example, if you don't have Battle Mastery chosen, you can surely still fire an arrow, but it wouldn't strike an apple sitting on a fencepost like someone who is more versed in it could.

So if you don't have Battle mastery as a strength you better git gud or git ded.

Also should we just put the class and two strengths towards the top of the CS or wherever it feels organic? Also as far as magic goes should I start with a one or two made up spells relative to the schools I chose or did you guys have some in mind?

The Class and Strength System has been added to the Character Sheet. It was overlooked but has been added (I blame my teleprompter freezing up).

Zaith is going to respond shortly to the question regarding spells.

We won't be coming up with a list of spells, and we won't require you to do so either (at least nothing like a spell from a tabletop RPG). Innately born magic often simply manifests as an effect. Many of these effects require no magic words, but might require a small, simple gesture. In most cases, you will it and it happens (within your capabilities).

What you can do is perhaps think of a small number of signature "tricks" or effects that your character has practiced and grown to like. There will be no spell called Chain Lightning, but your character might know how to create a bolt by rubbing his hands together. You can think of magic as more of a talent rather than a set of formulae. We'll update the original post on how magic works with some of these details in the near future :)

Your questions are greatly appreciated.

I dont think Ive ever updated a character sheet with various changes this many times outside of a tabletop game before. Its rather intense.

@Zaith your profile is approved *Seals the paperwork with a stamp forged with the tears of many children and the blood of Angela Lansbury*

:fryingpan: