[A Realm of Uncertainty] * [OOC/Sign-up] * [All Ages Welcome - CLOSED]

@Aeronfarron physical abnormalities like you describe, if I understand, would be exceptionally rare I think. Something along the lines of hermaphroditic persons?

Otherwise, a whole spectrum of gender-queerness exists, for sure. Your clan sort of reminds me of two-spirited persons of native North America. It's very possible that a biological male be given a female designation in a society based on its concepts of gender roles.

Additionally, the idea you have with the clan's policies on breeding I think could fit adequately into a medieval world with kingdoms at odds with each other. Procreation was historically an extremely important issue in parts of the world where amassing defensive forces to keep societies safe from invasion or assimilation.

More details on kingdoms and a map to help you visualize on the way :) And thanks for checking!
Yes, the phenomenon would be very rare as the Clan Leaders usually take great care to adhere to the timing of the Great Migrations. Risking the livelihood of the tribe is not worth adding a few magically induced hermaphrodites.

Great! Thank you. That is something that I researched to see if there was some type of precedent for that way of thinking. Then just tweaked it a bit.

The Tribe is a very spiritual people, I'll be fleshing out their beliefs and religion, as they don't exactly believe the same things the kingdoms do. As I think I've mentioned, the magic that influences the tribe's generations has been lost. So they attribute the same phenomena to their goddess.

Great! Thanks for the reassurance!

That'd be great, then I can also plan a viable route for the Great Migration.

Glad to hear it. The map is coming along nicely if you ask me, though that's primarily Zaith's brainchild hehe.

Putting this on my watch list for sure. I already have a male Templar-esque noble character in mind championing anti-magic crusades rolling around in my head (He might be pan or homosexual just to add some intrigue to the rough and tumble stereotype) . Very interested to see how you guys continue to develop the world so I can start him up.

Looking great to me and I understand what you mean. We're still planning history and stuff, so hopefully it'll come out soon to better assist you with the rest.

I've updated my sheet with various histories and aspects of Clan Sundershield. Once I have a better understanding of major houses/clans in the world, I will update the Enemies of Clan Sundershield. I will also be adding all pertinent information regarding the deaths of the last two generations of Clan members.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, but it appears that there's a lot of WIP. Will keep an eye out and check back occasionally.

So the internet is down at my house because of the weather so I guess its best to go on without me

So the internet is down at my house because of the weather so I guess its best to go on without me
Well, the thing hasnt even started and a lot of spinework for the story itself is being fleshed out. I think you have time.

As the Psychotic Scientist stated, you're in no danger of being left behind. And yes it's a WIP and I was really hoping to get more input from prospective players on stuff they'd like to see, so you have a chance to shape the world. I figured that might be a nice change instead of just having to follow a fenced in area right away. At any rate, hopefully tonight I'll get the map posted as well as a brief timeline/history. More will be added in the future, but at least to give you the date of a few major events as well as the current date to help with your backgrounds. We'll also be putting together more information on each kingdom (not to mention races, classes and magic). Stuff like this takes time, but it allows you to play around with character ideas. Again we'd enjoy hearing what you'd like to see (and chances are we'll be overlooking things) as we continue fleshing out more details.

It's not always as easy as it looks. There's also trying to provide information while leaving some open for the players (for example if we ever find people willing to play a King, they'll be able to make a number of determinations when it comes to the kingdom). Though this comes with a hefty price, especially if that person turns out to be *insert whatever here* and leaves the role play. Personally I don't want to puppet 5 kingdoms by myself, as I'll probably have to start off doing that with 2 of them as it is. Rest assured the two of us have lives too but spend time in Skype each day plotting and planning. Patience is a virtue and thanks as always for your interest!

Very interested in this, I'm gonna have to wait until I have access to my computer so I can really sit down and get stuff typed up.

Question though; As far as magic goes what are your thoughts on necromancy? With 'good' intentions so to speak because I have an idea for a mage tip-toeing around dark magic for beneficial use. My idea is basically a medieval Necromancer detective in so many words.

@Whisket in short, true necromancy is a highly advanced magic that is pretty much is off limits to player characters.

I think you might like this though: Necromancy is something we've discussed and we feel that the knowledge of that kind of magic has essentially been wiped out. This includes evil acts - corrupting souls, creating plague, and animating dead. However, the magic method of Spirituality is almost like a good reincarnation of necromancy and deals with life force. You wouldn't be able to animate corpses but you could perhaps, as an idea, use Spiritual magic to listen to the residual life energy of a dead soul. Not directly talking with ghosts, but more like sensing their emotions and reading their thoughts at the time of death.

If you have any more questions or want clarification, please ask, and thanks! :)

Awesome, that's a less morbid approach to what I had in mind but fulfills my desires none the less.
Now would that still fall under the mage class or the cleric?

@Whisket Actually, we will be posting the class system shortly (probably tonight). Classes are basically build-your own based on a variety of "strengths" which you select from. The mage/cleric/etc are simply examples. We will also include a very big list of possible class names which you can choose to describe your character. We wanted a class system which really allowed for individuality and expression, instead of grouping characters into half a dozen premade molds. We hope it is popular :)

What Zaith said, but in loose terms, I'd probably say Mage as you wish to dabble in dark magic. At least for me, I view Cleric in a different light (and with religious overtone. That's not to say one couldn't lose their conviction, though I digress...) but that's just me. As he said we'll try to elaborate on classes/strengths tonight.

I've always thought full-blown necromancy to be something that is extremely hard to master, perhaps to the point where most wouldn't live long enough to accomplish it. The person or thing behind the destruction of Brill will be a completely different story though... *insert mad laughter and random lightening and thunder here*.

At any rate, I'll be posting the map and some timeline and history goodies here shortly.

Wonderful. When that is posted, Ill adapt my current build into a class subtype.

UPDATES: Added some preliminary information regarding Lore/Timeline. Added much more information to the Class & Strength system. More detailed information on Magic and last but not least, the Map. There's still more to come so don't be shy.

@Jack Nolan - on a side note, we plan to come up with some "generic" Houses and Clans tomorrow or this weekend. You can always feel free to make mention (aka create) a small Clan that has been an enemy to your clan, that's fine with us. We'll go about with the knowledge that multiple Clans or groups of Bandits are scattered throughout the Realm and so it leaves you more freedom for your story.

• 3098037.jpg

GENERAL CHARACTER STATISTICS

Character Name: Sylvander Quaid
    Alias: Van
    Species/Race: Human
    Sexual Orientation: Straight
    Current Residence: Stormhaven
    Family: Mother & Father living in Hearthmoor

Class: War Adept
    Strengths: Battle Mastery, Magic Affinity (Transmutation)

PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS

Height: 5'9" (1.75 m)
    Weight: Medium build of about 155 lbs. (70 kg)
    Hair: Black, short and unkempt with a trimmed chinstrap beard
    Eyes: Grass-green with a deep ocean blue outer iris
    Distinguishing Marks: Left eyebrow piercing; right armband tattoo, winding down the arm and across the back of the hand
    General Appearance: Young, but a little rugged with a straight standing posture and medium gait.
    Handedness: Right handed, but spends time learning to use his left equally

• MENTAL CHARACTERISTICS

Aspirations/Motivators: Benificence and achievement - has a strong inclination to help the disenfranchised, and strives to hone his magic and swordsmanship.
    Current Goal/Purpose: To "change the system", and to own a tavern.
    Hobbies: Glass-making (keeps trinkets he's made in a velvet lined box give to him by his father), fortune-telling (reading cards), fishing. and horseback riding
    Likes: Riddles, politics, visual art, natural sciences (however primitive). On occasion, he likes to see how far he can push people, or test how gullible they are. He is greatly amused by clowns/harlequins. He secretly enjoys ritzy parties despite his distaste for the upper class.
    Dislikes: Politics, nobility, salty foods, dull weather
    Talents: Is a gifted juggler and skillful whistler
    Inabilities: Has problems feeling empathy, despite a generally kind nature. Suffers from fugue (an inability to remember important events of his past, occasionally adopting a partially new identity).
    Fears: Dreads the full moon, and is uncomfortable around deep water.

• General Personality: He is initially cold to approach, but is altruistic and supportive of friends and coworkers. He appears calm and contemplative when it comes to everyday situations. Sudden changes in mood are occasional, otherwise his emotions run fairly static. He shares a number of optimistic and pessimistic traits - confident and hopeful, but also distrustful and socially paranoid.

Interaction: His strong opinions lead him to be critical and up-front, even confrontational (with nobility, notably). Considers himself a "talkative listener", carefully digesting comments and opinions, but not holding back either. He is tolerant and open-minded to other walks of life though stubborn when he knows he is right.

More: Has a playful, clever, and occasionally cynical or crude sense of humour.

• SPECIALTY CHARACTERISTICS

Special Items: Trinket box, deck of reading cards
    Weapons: Two short swords, rusty but durable.

BACKGROUND

Allies: The Stormhaven Dockworkers' Guild

Enemies: Ormont nobility, the Black Orchids

Birthplace: Born in Hearthmoor, Ormont - a boggy land with drier summers, wetter winters, and misty mornings most days of the year. Nobility, while noticeably absent from Hearthmoor, are greatly praised by the gentry. However, Sylvander knows that as citizens they should count themselves lucky as they are - the nobility care little about the well-being of the working class, and the town prospers almost wholly from its proximity to the capital. Mostly working class, a good number of Hearthmoor families can afford at least a basic education. The people are cheerful despite the gloomy landscape with always a half-welcoming smile for visitors.

Family Background: Born into a generation which saw comparitively few births, Sylvander was several years older than most of his peers. He grew up in a small home with loving but frustrated parents (due to Sylvander's strong and disagreeable political opinions). He was an only child, though had an older brother who died in infancy. He has a number of rich aunts and uncles in the capital mostly on his mother's side. His father used to joke that they had moved to Hearthmoor to escape them (which isn't entirely false).

Growing Up: His father is a glass-blower, and used to make toys for Sylvander once he was old enough to know not to break them. Sylvander used to play around with his father's furnace when he was home alone as he got older. That was until he accidentally let drop a glob of molten glass onto his arm. The infection the burn left him required the aid of a healer who scammed the family after performing the service and essentially bankrupted them. It was soon after recovering from the injury that his magic began to develop. With his growing gift, he helped his family recover a good part of their wealth by providing services to Hearthmoor residents.

As a teenager, he joined a "secret order" which included many of the younger boys of the town. Though prejudice saw him held back because of his age and magic, he attained a high rank by manipulating and blackmailing several members. Soon after, he quit, deciding the order was more or less bullshit - it had begun to take several political stances Sylvander did not agree with, namely ass-kissing of the noble class.

Conflict with Class: During the time that his parents were indebted to his healer, Sylvander often went with his father into the city to deliver payment and sell glass wares. He met another boy from a wealthy family who was likeminded in that he disliked his relatives and the policies that his extended family supported.

Leaving Home: As his magic grew, his mental health declined. He stole away from home, leaving a note to his parents. Giving into what would be his first fugue-state, he actually began to improve away from home. Meanwhile, unknown to him, his father had acquired a contract with the Ducal Palace of Calay - blowing glass for chandeliers - which left his mother and father rich. They miss their son, and wish he'd write home.

Present Life: Sylvander rents a room in the home of a young woman - Emily Gainsborough. Shortly after arriving in Stormhaven, Ms. Gainsborough, as he calls her, helped get him a job as a dockworker. After shipping and loading cargo for a month, Sylvander acquire a position as a clerk at the harbour-side Waltzing Weasel Pub & Lodge, where he often encounters his former coworkers with whom he has good relationships.

Special Historic Notes: TBD

Secret: He is secretly a skillful ballroom dancer.

Thanks for reminding me to finally start on my own main character, Zaith haha. I knew I was forgetting something...

While we don't expect everyone to be a concept artist, we do want to foster a sense of realism. For this reason, please do not post anime pictures. Otherwise feel free to take from the internet images you feel support your character (with the artists' permissions).

Copy the code below. Depending on your browser, you may want to "copy as plain text" or "paste as plain text".

[u][b]GENERAL CHARACTER STATISTICS[/b][/u]

*picture - real image or drawing/painting. NO anime pictures please.*

[b]Character Name:[/b]
[b]Alias:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Species/Race:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Sexual Orientation:[/b]
[b]Current Residence:[/b]
[b]Occupation:[/b]
[b]Family:[/b]
[b]More:[/b]