A poll about religion

Do you think that allowing prayer/discussion of religion in school would make kids more tolerant?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
"So, as long as a school neither unduly emphasizes nor funds nor attempts to convert students, you absolutely 100% can be required to learn bible stories."

Define undue emphasis.

Arguing is pointless for me is what I am saying. Because I stand on this point. The same way you will agree with it until you die. Religion in my opinion, is not important enough to be focused on in school. I respect them, they are fine to have, I do not want to have religious debates.

There are exceptions yes, but the constitution still says it in the first amendment. Which is still, in my opinion, a separation of church and state. I never said that the law cannot touch in religion at all. But it cannot, as you said, mandate religious practices. Someone mentioned a 'mandated silence' period where everyone bowed their head and prayed to whatever they believed in. Atheists (there are many atheists in my high school) would make their remarks and laugh and roll their eyes. Not all of them, but trust me, I am in high school, it's a terrible idea. It's already bad enough be have the Christian clique and Muslim clique researching each others religions to use against each other. It is a mandated religious practice to be silent, bow your head and pray. If it wasn't mandatory, then atheists would be able to talk and do as they please freely (as it is now) and then other religious people may get annoyed or it may simply go back to how it is now when everyone ignores the pledge allegiance and just laughs and talks through it.
Even if my example you don't agree with it, even if it were wrong and neither separation of church and state mattered, nor the constitution, it is still a bad idea in my opinion. I am resistant to the idea not because I am ignorant or uneducated, but because I simply do not think making it mandatory would do anything but harm. I go to school to learn how to get into the workforce, I learn how to deal with people through time, I develop my religious beliefs and liberal beliefs through time, and in any case... And if school does such a bad job with teaching normal subjects and keeping students healthy, why would we want to add in another forced subject?

I am done now, like I said, arguing is pointless. I have school to finish and things to do and this subject right here and now is not important to me because it is not coming up in voting polls to actually be a law anytime soon. Nor will it ever in my lifetime do I believe. I still stand to there is a place to educate and a place for religion. I don't know how to say this politely. But I believe that schools should be legally allowed to force student into studying falsities.

That is where I end, you can continue if you wish.

Lady Sabine; as a favor to me, please don't respond to Kitty. You have both made your points.

And don't take that as an insult Kitty; I'm not trying to say "Don't talk to the stupid Kitty.". I just think it would be counter productive.

Now without reading to much on this thread. I just came upon it and thought I would cast my vote.

I think that in my humble opinion... the results would very...

I mean it would depend on the kids, the setting, the timing and so on. Its a delicate subject and it can become explosive or it can remain calm. Just depends. ...

Now back to what I was doing. *Right... making tea*

Arguing is pointless for me is what I am saying. Because I stand on this point. The same way you will agree with it until you die. Religion in my opinion, is not important enough to be focused on in school. I respect them, they are fine to have, I do not want to have religious debates.

There are exceptions yes, but the constitution still says it in the first amendment. Which is still, in my opinion, a separation of church and state. I never said that the law cannot touch in religion at all. But it cannot, as you said, mandate religious practices. Someone mentioned a 'mandated silence' period where everyone bowed their head and prayed to whatever they believed in. Atheists (there are many atheists in my high school) would make their remarks and laugh and roll their eyes. Not all of them, but trust me, I am in high school, it's a terrible idea. It's already bad enough be have the Christian clique and Muslim clique researching each others religions to use against each other. It is a mandated religious practice to be silent, bow your head and pray. If it wasn't mandatory, then atheists would be able to talk and do as they please freely (as it is now) and then other religious people may get annoyed or it may simply go back to how it is now when everyone ignores the pledge allegiance and just laughs and talks through it.
Even if my example you don't agree with it, even if it were wrong and neither separation of church and state mattered, nor the constitution, it is still a bad idea in my opinion. I am resistant to the idea not because I am ignorant or uneducated, but because I simply do not think making it mandatory would do anything but harm. I go to school to learn how to get into the workforce, I learn how to deal with people through time, I develop my religious beliefs and liberal beliefs through time, and in any case... And if school does such a bad job with teaching normal subjects and keeping students healthy, why would we want to add in another forced subject?

I am done now, like I said, arguing is pointless. I have school to finish and things to do and this subject right here and now is not important to me because it is not coming up in voting polls to actually be a law anytime soon. Nor will it ever in my lifetime do I believe. I still stand to there is a place to educate and a place for religion. I don't know how to say this politely. But I believe that schools should be legally allowed to force student into studying falsities.

That is where I end, you can continue if you wish.
I just want to ask you one thing, if you don't mind. If you didn't want to argue or learn about religion, then why get into a debate in the first place?

I'm serious, it's a legitimate question and I want to know. One of the main reason for debates in my experiences is to educate and be educated, and to get you thinking. Usually you aren't ever expected to actually change sides. And if there's one thing that really got on my nerves when reading your posts, it was your refusal to learn about Lady Sabine's opinion, though you were more than willing to teach your opinions even after you said you would stop arguing.

I find it funny that you don't like being call ignorant, and yet you insist that you don't need to be educated about something you very much need to be educated about. You are, in fact, the exact reason why such education is necessary. You think religion isn't important and we don't need to discuss or learn about. I can tell you right now that you've offended a lot of people with that statement, heck, I'm offended and I'm not even religious. Religion isn't important to education? You couldn't be more wrong.

For one, learning about other religions forms an understanding towards others and prevents discrimination and stereotypes for both religious and non-religious people, something I've seen a lot of in today's world. If we allowed kids to discuss religion in school, the amount of such hate would most certainly decrease. Not to mention that religion is entwined with human history in such a huge way that refusing to learn is almost the equivalent if refusing to learn about the Second World War. Like for example, it's unlikely that you knew that Hitler saw himself as the German Messiah doing God's work. Even if you did already know that, it's beside the point. Learning about religion is very necessary if you want to make the world a better place at all. Don't make me doubt that you do.

That being said, I'm not asking for a rebuttal. You can give one if you so desire and it doesn't seem that you do, but all I really ask of you is to answer my initial question at the beginning of my post as I am still genuinely curious.

I do mind. This conversation is long over, and I'm not even going to bother to read past asking my permission. Because you don't have it.
I said I was done.

A religious thread degenerates into an argument?!!

Shocker!

*locks*

And "MAYBE" won the vote???

*mind blown*

Last edited:
Reactions: IceChateau777
Status
Not open for further replies.